Confirmed with Link: Seth Jones, a late 1st, and a 6th for Boqvist, 2 1sts, and a 2nd, and Jones gets a massive extension

Mrfenn92

Proud to be American
Sponsor
Nov 27, 2018
Chicago,Illinois
About the only valid complaint for Jones' game that I can see, is that he should use his size more to separate puck carriers from the puck. Aside from that, he brings absolutely everything you want from a #1D.

The analytics folks are once again compete f***ing idiots.
But the charts

Clownish

Jan 1, 2014
Does it matter? We are still a shit team with him, so we'd just be slightly worse but have our pick, Boqvist, and the 11th from last year. If we are good in 2-3 years, this trade won't be so bad, but that's a pretty big IF.
What has given any hope of these draft picks turning into anything more than middle pairing players? The Hawks have more of those players than they have playing time to accommodate them. Waiting until the team is a contender before pursuing a top line defenseman is ass backwards. Better players make a better team, not more rolls of the dice in the draft, especially when that has proven to yield replacement level talent. Get better scouting and a better GM, then roll the dice in the draft.

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
What has given any hope of these draft picks turning into anything more than middle pairing players? The Hawks have more of those players than they have playing time to accommodate them. Waiting until the team is a contender before pursuing a top line defenseman is ass backwards. Better players make a better team, not more rolls of the dice in the draft, especially when that has proven to yield replacement level talent. Get better scouting and a better GM, then roll the dice in the draft.
The Hawks have more of what players? We have a bunch of junk, Dach, and Debrincat who were, you guessed it, drafted by us. Trading for a top Dman when we were a shit team hasn't improved us one bit. The teams that have went from shit to great, drafted well, and barely made any moves in free agency or trade to become great. They traded or signed free agents when they were already good teams, looking to make that jump.

But we argued this all off-season, not going to get into it again. Whats done is done, and it's depressing.

Reactions: Kaners Bald Spot

Kaners Bald Spot

Dec 6, 2011
Kane County, IL
The Hawks have more of what players? We have a bunch of junk, Dach, and Debrincat who were, you guessed it, drafted by us. Trading for a top Dman when we were a shit team hasn't improved us one bit. The teams that have went from shit to great, drafted well, and barely made any moves in free agency or trade to become great. They traded or signed free agents when they were already good teams, looking to make that jump.

But we argued this all off-season, not going to get into it again. Whats done is done, and it's depressing.
This is our penance for the 3 cups, and you could argue the Beach stuff too.

Clownish

Jan 1, 2014

If you thought bringing in Jones was the only item on the to-do list for getting back into contention, then your assessment of the team was a bit rosy. It’s not possible to find every piece in one offseason, but they decided to address one of the more difficult pieces first.

Reactions: Stevo the hawk

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
If you thought bringing in Jones was the only item on the to-do list for getting back into contention, then your assessment of the team was a bit rosy. It’s not possible to find every piece in one offseason, but they decided to address one of the more difficult pieces first.
We'll be lucky if Jones is still a good Dman in 4-5 years when this team is finally in a position to contend.

Kaners Bald Spot

Dec 6, 2011
Kane County, IL
Four to five years? The Hawks will have only 5 players signed for the 2023-24 season. That's like, 18 months away. This team could look drastically different by then.
They gotta dump Murphy before the rest of the league catches on. I thought he might drop off, but not this soon.

Bowman really missed an opportunity by trading for Jones and not trading Murphy.

Clownish

Jan 1, 2014
Four to five years? The Hawks will have only 5 players signed for the 2023-24 season. That's like, 18 months away. This team could look drastically different by then.
That's why I don't get the "trade everyone for picks and start from scratch" idea. They have plenty of role players (which is about the best you could hope for getting with all of the (not very high) draft picks that those tradeable players would yield), they just need a few players that jive with the core that is here.

Kaners Bald Spot

Dec 6, 2011
Kane County, IL
That's why I don't get the "trade everyone for picks and start from scratch" idea. They have plenty of role players (which is about the best you could hope for getting with all of the (not very high) draft picks that those tradeable players would yield), they just need a few players that jive with the core that is here.
There are questions about Dach's ceiling right now and I see 2 definite building blocks in Cat and Seth Jones. There's a possibility Kane returns, but idk if you can expect him to be elite at age 35

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
We've been saying 2-3 years for 5 years now. Sure, you can get really lucky in the next years draft with our 2nd round pick, and hopefully be terrible for Bedard or Michov the following year, and then hope top flight players are available as UFAs or hope our GM can pull off a steal of a trade. Just a lot of hoping and luck.

Pez68

Mar 18, 2010
Chicago, IL
We've been saying 2-3 years for 5 years now. Sure, you can get really lucky in the next years draft with our 2nd round pick, and hopefully be terrible for Bedard or Michov the following year, and then hope top flight players are available as UFAs or hope our GM can pull off a steal of a trade. Just a lot of hoping and luck.

Your #1C who makes $10.5M a season disappearing is a huge hole to fill.

Reactions: Panzerspitze

Clownish

Jan 1, 2014
You're arguing about draft picks when replying to someone who was obviously talking about cap space. The Hawks don't have to wait or hope when they are poised to have cap space to find solid contributors who probably won't require years in the AHL. You realize as of this moment 4 more wins would have them near the top of the division. THEY DON'T NEED to wait years on some high-end draft pick this year or next year when all they need is a few more wins to be in the middle of the playoff race. Switch out of few of the plugs they have been using due to injury with a key free agent, add Reichel, find an ideal pairing for Seth Jones and go from there.

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
You're arguing about draft picks when replying to someone who was obviously talking about cap space. The Hawks don't have to wait or hope when they are poised to have cap space to find solid contributors who probably won't require years in the AHL. You realize as of this moment 4 more wins would have them near the top of the division. THEY DON'T NEED to wait years on some high-end draft pick this year or next year when all they need is a few more wins to be in the middle of the playoff race. Switch out of few of the plugs they have been using due to injury with a key free agent, add Reichel, find an ideal pairing for Seth Jones and go from there.
This team is terrible. We have the worst team stats out of pretty much every team in the league. It will take years to recover. There is nothing about this team that makes me think we are even close to achieving anything meaningful.

They should have waited years and did a proper rebuild. Because it will take as long, if not longer adding over priced UFAs.

Reactions: BobbyJet

Pez68

Mar 18, 2010
Chicago, IL
This team is terrible. We have the worst team stats out of pretty much every team in the league. It will take years to recover. There is nothing about this team that makes me think we are even close to achieving anything meaningful.

They should have waited years and did a proper rebuild. Because it will take as long, if not longer adding over priced UFAs.

How many teams did this description apply to last season? Two seasons ago? Where are those teams now? Not to mention this team STILL has a terrible coach. I would never be called an optimist by anyone that knows me, and even my outlook is more positive than this. Hockey teams can turn on a dime, with just a couple small changes. This team could have 90% roster turnover in the next 18 months, and you're writing them off for the next four years? Lol. Come on.

madgoat33

May 16, 2010
They need 2 top 9 centers, 2 top 6 wingers, a goalie, and at least 2 dmen. Thats a lot...

Reactions: Drumman44

Hattrick Kane

Oct 8, 2018
They need 2 top 9 centers, 2 top 6 wingers, a goalie, and at least 2 dmen. Thats a lot...
The one good thing is that there’s a lot of money coming off the books over the next few years, so at least it won’t be cap hell.

And don’t give me that Seth Jones at 9.5 million crap. Where this organization is right now, his contract won’t be a problem for years if it ever does. Gotta make the cap floor somehow.

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
How many teams did this description apply to last season? Two seasons ago? Where are those teams now? Not to mention this team STILL has a terrible coach. I would never be called an optimist by anyone that knows me, and even my outlook is more positive than this. Hockey teams can turn on a dime, with just a couple small changes. This team could have 90% roster turnover in the next 18 months, and you're writing them off for the next four years? Lol. Come on.
Sens, Sabres, Hawks, Sharks, Coyotes, Canucks, Kings - all still suck

Yes, they can turn on a dime, if you have some young players ready to take big steps in a couple years. I just don't see any short term solution. Again, are we going to hope we can sign a big name free agent when barely any top players go to free agency and want to come to a dumpster fire of an organization? Hope that our GM wins a trade by a large margin? Some unknown young player makes a huge jump that we currently have?

It will take A LOT of things to go right to turn this team around in short order. There is zero reason to be an optimist about this team in the next 2-3 years.

Clownish

Jan 1, 2014
Is there no one in the organization that will step up to the NHL next year? Reichel, Phillips, maybe someone else? If they still had Boqvist they'd have to add "two top pairing defensemen". Like I said, if you expected the team to have no further needs after spending big for one item on their to-get list, then that's you not paying attention. The draft picks from the Jones trade would be nowhere near guaranteed to check any of those items off the list--and certainly not for the upcoming season.

Reactions: x Tame Impala

madgoat33

May 16, 2010
Is there no one in the organization that will step up to the NHL next year? Reichel, Phillips, maybe someone else? If they still had Boqvist they'd have to add "two top pairing defensemen". Like I said, if you expected the team to have no further needs after spending big for one item on their to-get list, then that's you not paying attention. The draft picks from the Jones trade would be nowhere near guaranteed to check any of those items off the list--and certainly not for the upcoming season.
I wasnt knocking the jones deal, I just didnt realize how bad kubalik, murphy, mccabe and the bottom 6 would be. I thought after jones and fleury, they would be close to a playoff team. Maybe a real coach would help, but there doesnt look to be much there.

Reactions: Kaners Bald Spot

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad