Confirmed with Link: Seth Jones, a late 1st, and a 6th for Boqvist, 2 1sts, and a 2nd, and Jones gets a massive extension

Kaners Bald Spot

Dec 6, 2011
Kane County, IL
You need to stop playing NHL 22 on rookie mode, that’s the only play where 14-16% shooting is reasonable for a D.
My bad.

My thought(off the top of my head) was that D take fewer shots than F so those that score a lot of goals would have a really high shooting percentage.

D having a lower shooting percentage as a whole seems counterintuitive. Wild fluctuations due to smaller sample size seems more logical.

Last edited:

madgoat33

May 16, 2010
My bad.

My thought(off the top of my head) was that D take fewer shots than F so those that score a lot of goals would have a really high shooting percentage.

D having a lower shooting percentage as a whole seems counterintuitive. Wild fluctuations due to smaller sample size seems more logical.
They shoot less, but also take a larger percentage of their shots from low% areas for the most part.

Reactions: clydesdale line

Pez68

Mar 18, 2010
Chicago, IL
My bad.

Eh? Why is it counterintuitive for a guy shooting from the blue line to have a lower shooting percentage than a guy who shoots from much, much closer?

Reactions: ChiHawks10

giza

Jul 19, 2011
Seth Jones is a #1 Dman... Boqvist has talent----you don't get drafted in the Top 10 without talent..and I think Columbus is using him perfectly....but he's not a number 1.

Kaners Bald Spot

Dec 6, 2011
Kane County, IL
Eh? Why is it counterintuitive for a guy shooting from the blue line to have a lower shooting percentage than a guy who shoots from much, much closer?
I already explained.

The lower percentage area stuff makes sense.

I was working on pure volume only.

Also D have the ability to jump into the play.

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
Opinions are supposed to change. I honestly can’t stand how many people here pick a lane and then try to force the context to fit their agenda.

I hated the trade at the time but Seth Jones is an objectively good hockey player and a number 1 defensman. Only time will tell if the futures would have been the better play.
I'm not sure how the opinion of the team should be rebuilding and keeping picks and prospects could have changed when looking at the garbage this team has put on the ice this year.

Reactions: Kaners Bald Spot

WarLax

Apr 17, 2016
I've looked at Boqys goals, the first one last night was a beauty of a shot, but also a fortunate rebound kicked out by the goalie to his backside.

And that is a theme for Boqy this year, he's been the beneficiary of being in the right place at the right time for backdoor looks (hence his ridiculously high shooting %).....and there is nothing wrong with that, but it provides context.

He's creeping down in the offensive zone a ton, so all the goals of his that I remember have been from closer in to the net/from the circle. CBJ is doing a good job utilizing his skillset.....and also sheltering the ever loving shit out of him on the 3rd pair playing low minutes.

I like the kid, and really hope he stays healthy and this trade is a win-win for both teams. That being said, this team would be absolutely dead without Jones, this season and going into the future. So, IMO, be happy with what we've got, but don't wish the other guys ill and belly aching over it isn't going to accomplish anything other than the kind of "noise" pollution that we are seeing to an extent here in this thread.

Reactions: RememberTheRoar

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
Jones has continued to look really good. I am not sure how people can look at his play and think he is not a 1D (top 15D at worst).

I am still high on Boqvist but while he has scored recently for the Blue Jackets, I would be shocked if they are overly pleased with his play so far overall. Obviously, this can change.

Sillinger has looked good so far this season so that is a win for Columbus.

I project that we will finish the NHL season with the 13th overall pick (goes to Columbus) so will Jones + Allen be worth more Boqvist + Sillinger + 13th overall pick. I am not ignoring the 2nd and 6th picks moved but they are far less likely to be worth anything.

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
I've looked at Boqys goals, the first one last night was a beauty of a shot, but also a fortunate rebound kicked out by the goalie to his backside.

And that is a theme for Boqy this year, he's been the beneficiary of being in the right place at the right time for backdoor looks (hence his ridiculously high shooting %).....and there is nothing wrong with that, but it provides context.

He's creeping down in the offensive zone a ton, so all the goals of his that I remember have been from closer in to the net/from the circle. CBJ is doing a good job utilizing his skillset.....and also sheltering the ever loving shit out of him on the 3rd pair playing low minutes.

I like the kid, and really hope he stays healthy and this trade is a win-win for both teams. That being said, this team would be absolutely dead without Jones, this season and going into the future. So, IMO, be happy with what we've got, but don't wish the other guys ill and belly aching over it isn't going to accomplish anything other than the kind of "noise" pollution that we are seeing to an extent here in this thread.

Right place right time can also imply that he is reading the game correctly and going to the right places based on each situation.

Reactions: x Tame Impala

Kevin Musto

Hard for Bedard
Feb 16, 2018
I project that we will finish the NHL season with the 13th overall pick (goes to Columbus) so will Jones + Allen be worth more Boqvist + Sillinger + 13th overall pick.
This is also about where I see the Hawks finishing.

In this scenario, I don't think it's a bad trade for Chicago. It was looking a lot worse when Colliton was leading the team to giving away the 3rd overall pick.

Where it looks bad is the aftermath of the trade, not the trade itself: Jones' monster extension and drafting Nolan Allan.

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
This is also about where I see the Hawks finishing.

In this scenario, I don't think it's a bad trade for Chicago. It was looking a lot worse when Colliton was leading the team to giving away the 3rd overall pick.

Where it looks bad is the aftermath of the trade, not the trade itself: Jones' monster extension and drafting Nolan Allan.

The monster extension is not bad is Jones is a top 10-top15 D for the deal.

No point in talking about Allen as this is one of your irrational takes that you will never discuss rationally.

Reactions: Giovi

Kevin Musto

Hard for Bedard
Feb 16, 2018
The monster extension is not bad is Jones is a top 10-top15 D for the deal.

No point in talking about Allen as this is one of your irrational takes that you will never discuss rationally.
If he continues playing this way, I can live with the extension.

Why are my Allan takes irrational?

Kevin Musto

Hard for Bedard
Feb 16, 2018
You know exactly why. You go crazy with extremes.
The Allan situation is embarrassing.

That's a player who was projected to go maybe late 2nd if I'm being generous.

You don't take stay at home defensemen that can't produce in the 1st round.

On his own team Allan is the 4th best defenseman. And yes, the 3 ahead of him are older, fine.

But look at his own peers. He's being vastly outperformed by Zellweger and Svozil, both of which I had ranked far ahead of Allan and they got drafted after him. And that's just guys in his own league. You can look at other D in other leagues that are better than Allan like Morrow and Peart.

Then of course there's all the great forwards we could have drafted instead.

Nothing about the pick made sense. This is Graham Knott all over again.

ClydeLee

Mar 23, 2012
The Allan situation is embarrassing.

That's a player who was projected to go maybe late 2nd if I'm being generous.

You don't take stay at home defensemen that can't produce in the 1st round.

On his own Allan is the 4th best defenseman. And yes, the 3 ahead of him are older, fine.

But look at his own peers. He's being vastly outperformed by Zellweger and Svozil, both of which I had ranked far ahead of Allan and they got drafted after him. And that's just guys in his own league. You can look at other D in other leagues that are better than Allan like Morrow and Peart.

Then of course there's all the great forwards we could have drafted instead.

Nothing about the pick made sense. This is Graham Knott all over again.

Murphy was a stay at home dman who couldn't produce taken way higher in the 1st round, so was Zadorov, so have many still who actually do become solid defensive dmen in the NHL.

To say with 32, which was the first time ever as a 1st round pick, is too high overall for any SAH Dman is, as BK said, extremes. Sure it is fair he was more of overall a 3rd round talent to many and Kelley mentioned they clearly had him higher than some others.

Reactions: BK

BobbyJet

watch the game, everything else is noise
Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can
Seth Jones is a #1 Dman... Boqvist has talent----you don't get drafted in the Top 10 without talent..and I think Columbus is using him perfectly....but he's not a number 1.
And in the history of the game name any Dmen who became a #1 at age 21. That however isn't saying Bo can't grow into it.
And I don't think anyone who is objective can say Seth does not make Chicago a much better team but the problem is there is a such long way to go in that regard. That has been the argument all along. What good is it to bring in another cap-eating player in his late-twenties on a team that needs so much more? Rebuilding on the fly rarely works in this league.
1/ Will Seth be the same asset in 5 or more years?
2/ Will Hawks get hand-cuffed by the lack of cap space caused by this signing?
3/ Will that #1 pick we gave up cost us dearly - by robbing Hawks of the ability to procure good young talent?

Kevin Musto

Hard for Bedard
Feb 16, 2018
Murphy was a stay at home dman who couldn't produce taken way higher in the 1st round, so was Zadorov, so have many still who actually do become solid defensive dmen in the NHL.

To say with 32, which was the first time ever as a 1st round pick, is too high overall for any SAH Dman is, as BK said, extremes. Sure it is fair he was more of overall a 3rd round talent to many and Kelley mentioned they clearly had him higher than some others.
Murphy worked out, but there are more examples of it not working out.

Also keep in mind Arizona could have drafted Danault, Rakell, Saad, etc. Murphy wasn't the best pick available.

And with Allan it's very clear there was tons of talent that was left on the board.

ColbyChaos

Marty Snoozeman's Father
Sep 27, 2017
Will County
Boqvist has a great shot for a defenseman.
I expect him to regress to the 14-16% range.
Wut

even 15% is very high for a Dman. It will be single digits. A Dman potting double digit goals is seen as a great goal scoring achievement for the position. Expecting Boqvist to keep a 15% shooting percentage is pretty much expecting him to hit 20 goals which is absurd

Reactions: ChiHawks10

ColbyChaos

Marty Snoozeman's Father
Sep 27, 2017
Will County
The only thing I will hate about this trade is the virtually unprotected first rounder. They didn’t need to sneak back into the first round to take Allen at all which was also questionable since I thoroughly believe they could have just taken him with their first second rounder.

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
The only thing I will hate about this trade is the virtually unprotected first rounder. They didn’t need to sneak back into the first round to take Allen at all which was also questionable since I thoroughly believe they could have just taken him with their first second rounder.

Agreed. I love Jones and am happy we traded for him but giving up next year’s first is pretty weak. The ol’ Bowman bad trade specialty

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad