Prospect Info: Serron Noel (2018, #34 overall), Oshawa Generals (OHL)

RainingRats

Dec 28, 2008
Jimmy Hayes 2.0?

sounds like a good value at 34

I would have liked a d-man but maybe we'll trade Tippet or Hepo for their equivalent D prospect.

GermanPanther

Foundation Defense
Dec 21, 2015
Munich, Germany
I watched today our depth Chart, and to go with 1st and 2nd after a Winger is not a bad move, we still have a better D Depth then RW and LW Depth Chart. So still in a must for Winger.

Reactions: Cats2TheCup

Jakeybonz

Jan 1, 2018
this pick i really didnt like. we absolutely had to take a d man here and there was quality to be had. i fully expected wilde. i dont like picking a lumbering less than ppg player at 34. this is ur typical old tallon pick which is in stark contrast to our first pick. we had enough wing prospects when we added greg. We're a bit light on good D prospects. we have decent ones but not top end ones unless gildon progresses at the pace he did last year which is a big if. 34th is the perfect position to pick a D man as theyre harder to project than fwds. and generally good ones slip to the 2nd round. oh well. guess we'll have to live with wilde, wahlstrom, and dobson ripping pucks into our net for the next decade every time we play the isles. they made out like bandits. for their draft positions and hauls, detroit and NYI destroyed this draft.

GermanPanther

Foundation Defense
Dec 21, 2015
Munich, Germany
Lawson Crouse was not 6"5 PowerForward. This Guy is an Upgrade on Shawn Matthias Kind of Hockey. Maybe a Wilson Type of Player. Good Shot Accuracy but can work with his Body.

Chaos2k7

Believe!
Aug 10, 2003
Costa Rica
this pick i really didnt like. we absolutely had to take a d man here and there was quality to be had. i fully expected wilde. i dont like picking a lumbering less than ppg player at 34. this is ur typical old tallon pick which is in stark contrast to our first pick. we had enough wing prospects when we added greg. We're a bit light on good D prospects. we have decent ones but not top end ones unless gildon progresses at the pace he did last year which is a big if. 34th is the perfect position to pick a D man as theyre harder to project than fwds. and generally good ones slip to the 2nd round. oh well. guess we'll have to live with wilde, wahlstrom, and dobson ripping pucks into our net for the next decade every time we play the isles. they made out like bandits. for their draft positions and hauls, detroit and NYI destroyed this draft.
Only Wilde was even available when we picked at 15 let alone 34.

Dale and the scouts have earned some leeway IMO.

Ghoste

#JustGetIn
Sponsor
Sep 14, 2005
San Diego, CA
Super petty but the first highlights vid I seen of Ty Smith, it opened with a guy running into his goaltender and Smith just skated by. The immediate clip following that was of him bringing up the puck and turning it over at the opposition blue line and they went the other way.

I turned off the vid. Haha

-ghoste

Reactions: iam76

Jakeybonz

Jan 1, 2018
Only Wilde was even available when we picked at 15 let alone 34.

Dale and the scouts have earned some leeway IMO.
i wasnt saying we should have picked dobson/wahlstrom obviously as they were gone. i was saying we shouldve picked wilde and then saying oh well, we'll have to live with him shooting pucks into our net along with the other great d prospects NYI picked earlier.

Chaos2k7

Believe!
Aug 10, 2003
Costa Rica
i wasnt saying we should have picked dobson/wahlstrom obviously as they were gone. i was saying we shouldve picked wilde and then saying oh well, we'll have to live with him shooting pucks into our net along with the other great d prospects NYI picked earlier.
Makes perfect sense, lament players selected before us.

Let them make the NHL before we worry about "filling nets". And two of those kids are defensemen, lol.

Dread Clawz

LAWSonic Boom
Nov 25, 2006
Pennsylvania

Why SHOULD we have picked Wilde? You know there's a reason he fell to the middle of the second round right? Yet you act like the isles are geniuses for picking him. They are taking a risk there too, there are some issues with Wilde somewhere.

Jakeybonz

Jan 1, 2018
Makes perfect sense, lament players selected before us.

Let them make the NHL before we worry about "filling nets". And two of those kids are defensemen, lol.
try reading a post b4 responding to it. i wasnt lamenting the players selected b4 us. and what does that have to do with anything? offensive dmen cant score? thats new.

Why SHOULD we have picked Wilde? You know there's a reason he fell to the middle of the second round right? Yet you act like the isles are geniuses for picking him. They are taking a risk there too, there are some issues with Wilde somewhere.
i love how ur just guessing theres an unknown weakness in wilde because he fell. i guess theres a weakness in zadina, veleno, dobson, and wahlstrom then. and every other guy that didnt go exactly where he was projected. we shouldve drafted a d man. pretty much everyone on here was in agreement about that yesterday. then the typical thing happens where the panthers do something weird and everyone but me pretends its normal.

Chaos2k7

Believe!
Aug 10, 2003
Costa Rica
He needs a 100 point +1 draft season, to really make me get excited. He has a lot of tools, but he is so raw.

But you cannot teach genes, and his dad is a pro athlete too. Enticing package.

Brokin

Nov 30, 2014
I'm okay with Noel here. We missed Berggren as Detroit grabbed him at 33. Would have preferred Woo but apparently they are sending Petro a qualifying offer (which has to be in by Monday at 5 pm). I think Berggren fell because he is signed in the SHL for the next 4 years. I didn't see that as a problem as I believe it could be circumvented with a $240K payment if he continues to dominate.

You knew Dale was going to try and get some size back at some point. The only thing he has in common with Wilson is size and he may actually turn into a pretty good skater when all is said and done. Certainly is not an intimidator or an enforcer at this point in his career as he has the demeanor of Rick Nash. Solid pick that is a project that will take time. :)

Jakeybonz

Jan 1, 2018
I'm okay with Noel here. We missed Berggren as Detroit grabbed him at 33. Would have preferred Woo but apparently they are sending Petro a qualifying offer (which has to be in by Monday at 5 pm). I think Berggren fell because he is signed in the SHL for the next 4 years. I didn't see that as a problem as I believe it could be circumvented with a $240K payment if he continues to dominate.

You knew Dale was going to try and get some size back at some point. The only thing he has in common with Wilson is size and he may actually turn into a pretty good skater when all is said and done. Certainly is not an intimidator or an enforcer at this point in his career as he has the demeanor of Rick Nash. Solid pick that is a project that will take time. :)
first time I've ever disagreed with u buddy ;) I don't know. just feels off to me. I'm not a fan of sub ppg players in juniors at a pick this high. I see him as a potential 3rd line player which is meaningless as we have more of those than pretty much any nhl team. we needed to pick a D here.

Mase

Cousins.....kind of a c**t
Aug 6, 2010
Holding the blue
The clips I've seen of him he looks a bit clumsy with his skating, but I'm willing to give the benefit of the doubt to the guy that's been there(Tallon), and knows what he thinks can be managed.

Brokin

Nov 30, 2014
first time I've ever disagreed with u buddy ;) I don't know. just feels off to me. I'm not a fan of sub ppg players in juniors at a pick this high. I see him as a potential 3rd line player which is meaningless as we have more of those than pretty much any nhl team. we needed to pick a D here.
It's okay to disagree. I wanted Woo but he wasn't mandatory as I think most players drafted beyond 2nd overall could need 2 to 4 years of development (there's always 3 or 4 exceptions in the 1st round but it's a crap shoot). The other option of a small puck moving Dman wasn't enticing at #34. Next year they will likely draft between 16-24 if they make the playoffs. That too will require a 2-4 year wait for development and will probably be boom/bust unless they are happy with a conservative bottom 6 or 3rd pairing ceiling.

Noel is also a project like Crouse was at #11. Crouse was a safe bet to make at least a 3rd line RW in 3 to 4 years but to me he wasn't worth using a #11. I think anyone drafted in the top #15 should be high upside boom/bust. Once you get outside of #15 then you have the option of drafting more conservative or boom/bust. Noel I think is boom/bust depending how he does when they send him back to juniors. If he's able to take it to another level and put up considerably beyond a ppg then they may have struck gold. If he stays at the same level as this past season the percentages obviously go down and it's a matter of keeping your fingers crossed that he can help you in the lineup once his development curve flattens out when he's 22 or 23. :)

Last edited:

FrolikFan67

Apr 29, 2012
of course we ended up with him lmao that was predictable :laugh: wanted berggren but he got picked right before us to what can you do. not crazy about the pick honestly. wouldve preferred several other guys in that spot and i dont expect much from noel. i think he can be a 4th line mainstay with 3rd line upside.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad