Prospect Info: Serron Noel (2018, #34 overall), Oshawa Generals (OHL)

Chino Oscar

Jul 22, 2002
West Palm Beach
Thanks to all for the static posting, but again hard to Discuss in waht you believe more.
In the will and Potential of a Player and his self Confidence to get into the NHL. Or did you believe in hiatorical stuff and analytics who says, this and this Player makes the NHL those not, never known what happens to them in the Future. Or how the developing their personality.

Sure Numbers are Numbers, but still there was and are enough Players in the NHL who proves the will and Ability makes you a NHL Player.
That´s why i have personal Problems with those stats, stats on Daily NHL Games are something different.
Of course you believe in the player... but there is a reason they are drafted out of the 1st round. You may not like the numbers, but it is based on histotical performance of those picks.... all things being equal.

As far as Noel, really hoping he continues improving. Happy with this pick... read somewhere that Wilde has potential but could be huge bust due to brainfarts that happen more often than they should

Dread Clawz

LAWSonic Boom
Nov 25, 2006
Pennsylvania
Of course you believe in the player... but there is a reason they are drafted out of the 1st round. You may not like the numbers, but it is based on histotical performance of those picks.... all things being equal.

As far as Noel, really hoping he continues improving. Happy with this pick... read somewhere that Wilde has potential but could be huge bust due to brainfarts that happen more often than they should

Thats why I think Tallon passed on wilde. We can draft another d next year that's more consistent. Another good crop next year.

Brokin

Nov 30, 2014
Man looking at those shifts was difficult. Skating is pretty good and skill is decent but compete and intensity is 0. Standing around while his guys get sticked or run over just reeks no grit. Wouldn't want to go to war with this guy as he'd be in a ditch hiding while I'm being executed. Of course maybe my whole platoon would drink a toast.:laugh:

He's a young kid and he needs to understand that there's a thing called push back otherwise he'll have guys that are 5'9" taking run's at him. The big young pro's game must include physical intimidation unless you have multiple dimensions like the skill Nash, Barkov or Lindros possess. Take some judo or Brazilian jui jitsu classes to toughen up 2 nights a week. At least it will teach him how to throw some body checks and leverage his hips. :)

ps: Looking at his twitter account he is a really likable guy. So many people wishing him well from their heart. Can't help but root for him.

Last edited:

Jean Luc Discard

Jul 11, 2014
Man looking at those shifts was difficult. Skating is pretty good but compete and intensity is 0. Standing around while his guys get sticked or run over just reeks no grit. Wouldn't want to go to war with this guy as he'd be in a ditch hiding while I'm facing the firing squad. Of course maybe my whole platoon would drink a toast.:laugh:

He's a young kid and he needs to understand that there's a thing called push back otherwise he'll have guys that are 5'9" taking run's at him. The pro game is about physical intimidation unless you have more than one dimension like Nash or Lindros. Take some judo or Brazilian jui jitsu classes to toughen up 2 nights a week. At least it will teach him how to throw some hard checks and leverage his hips. :)

Dalé was probably going to be upset if he didn't get size and #character even though there's going to be a high demand in the near future but like you observed that intensity is not there. But the guy has to realize, and pretty soon actually, that he's not going to compete his way into the roster by skill and speed when already now have plenty top6 projected prospects. If he doesn't realize it for whatever reason then it's up to Boughner and his coaching staff to tell him the facts or someone in the brass. Dalé had the right idea originally by acquiring Bolland since the team needs a pest and I'm still waiting when the calculator also jumps on to this aspect as well. Dalé just pissed money away with Bolland. The bottom6 is still a mess even though I think McCann can be a great 3rd line center, Mamin has skill and grit and Sceviour is an excellent 4th liner.

Reactions: Brokin

ShootIt

Nov 8, 2008
Overall fine with the pick even if he wasn't someone I was too keen on, after last second internetz scouting. Do like that he wasn't taken round 1, and he shouldn't be rushed to the big squad so he can hopefully improve at a sound pace in the CHL/AHL.

Jean Luc Discard

Jul 11, 2014
Overall fine with the pick even if he wasn't someone I was too keen on, after last second internetz scouting. Do like that he wasn't taken round 1, and he shouldn't be rushed to the big squad so he can hopefully improve at a sound pace in the CHL/AHL.

i.e. sign him to the ELC after the next season and then use him for middle6 duties in Springfield for the following 2-3 years.

Brokin

Nov 30, 2014
Dalé had the right idea originally by acquiring Bolland since the team needs a pest and I'm still waiting when the calculator also jumps on to this aspect as well. Dalé just pissed money away with Bolland. The bottom6 is still a mess even though I think McCann can be a great 3rd line center, Mamin has skill and grit and Sceviour is an excellent 4th liner.
Jayce was supposed to be his guy but anyone who is an agitator has to be somewhat physical and needs to be durable. Jayce was never durable with concussions from the get go in the WHL due to guys going after him and his mouth. He wasn't in the AHL for a month before some guy leveled him and he was out till January. He had a pretty good year last year but did spend some time back on IR for various hard hits. For his sake he needs to drop the agitator moniker and just play the game. He certainly has the talent but it may be too late as concussions have a way of turning your brain into scrambled eggs.

Don't know what Dale has up his sleeve for a future pest but he better make sure he can take a pounding as guys make it a point to return the favor if you go after their teammates. :(

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
Jayce was supposed to be his guy but anyone who is an agitator has to be somewhat physical and needs to be durable. Jayce was never durable with concussions from the get go in the WHL due to guys going after him and his mouth. He wasn't in the AHL for a month before some guy leveled him and he was out till January. He had a pretty good year last year but did spend some time back on IR for various hard hits. For his sake he needs to drop the agitator moniker and just play the game. He certainly has the talent but it may be too late as concussions have a way of turning your brain into scrambled eggs.

Don't know what Dale has up his sleeve for a future pest but he better make sure he can take a pounding as guys make it a point to return the favor if you go after their teammates. :(

Isn't Repo a bit of a pest? I think @SoupyFIN posted about his ability to get under opponent's skin or to cross the line a bit.

Mamin doesnt mind mixing it up in the middleweight category either, he could develop into one.

Brokin

Nov 30, 2014
Isn't Repo a bit of a pest? I think @SoupyFIN posted about his ability to get under opponent's skin or to cross the line a bit.

Mamin doesnt mind mixing it up in the middleweight category either, he could develop into one.
I don't know about Repo as he couldn't get back to Finland quick enough when he should have spent last year in the AHL learning to adjust. There's a fine line between being a pest and taking stoopid penalties. Time will tell if he can walk that line. Now I know Soup is going to tell me he had a contract to fulfill.

Mamin is just a hard nosed man who can play the speed/skill game straight up or get his hands dirty if necessary. If he ever gets some confidence and starts to score, the guy will begin to realize he is a really good player.:)

Reactions: ThePatientPanther

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
I don't know about Repo as he couldn't get back to Finland quick enough when he should have spent last year in the AHL learning to adjust. There's a fine line between being a pest and taking stoopid penalties. Time will tell if he can walk that line. Now I know Soup is going to tell me he had a contract to fulfill.

Mamin is just a hard nosed man who can play the speed/skill game straight up or get his hands dirty if necessary. If he ever gets some confidence and starts to score, the guy will begin to realize he is a really good player.:)

Don't get to follow Springfield too much or Repo in general but I agree about the fine line but if he can get one of the opposition's better players in the box with matching penalties then I'm all for it. Our Finnish posters could probably fill us in more on his game.

I'm really high on Mamin, was hoping he would have got some time alongside Trocheck last year with injuries. His forecheck and backcheck are impressive and I wouldn't want him to become a fighter as I think he has a fair bit of skill as well. If our forward depth chart wasn't so stacked, I'd say he has 2nd line potential in him but probably becomes a great 3rd liner.

Jean Luc Discard

Jul 11, 2014
I don't know about Repo as he couldn't get back to Finland quick enough when he should have spent last year in the AHL learning to adjust. There's a fine line between being a pest and taking stoopid penalties. Time will tell if he can walk that line.

Mamin is a good bottom6er but I wouldn't count him as a pest in any aspect. There's plenty of different types of pests but all of them enjoy spending time glued to the opposing teams best players. Since the skating requirements have gone up dramatically over the years so the requirements of traditional shadow duties by pests have gone up as well. I think that the previous example of a pest has been Ryan Kesler and guys like Tom Wilson are just down right dirty players and not exactly pests. A pest doesn't do much against a well balanced team but should be quite effective against teams that are relying on a one or two superstars. The Cats themselves are one such team that is vulnerable to pests when all it takes to have some Abdelkader to be like white on rice with Barkov to hinder the Cats quite a bit.

Repo is a long shot, a project, both in skill and skating ability.

GermanPanther

Foundation Defense
Dec 21, 2015
Munich, Germany
Man looking at those shifts was difficult. Skating is pretty good and skill is decent but compete and intensity is 0. Standing around while his guys get sticked or run over just reeks no grit. Wouldn't want to go to war with this guy as he'd be in a ditch hiding while I'm being executed. Of course maybe my whole platoon would drink a toast.:laugh:

He's a young kid and he needs to understand that there's a thing called push back otherwise he'll have guys that are 5'9" taking run's at him. The big young pro's game must include physical intimidation unless you have multiple dimensions like the skill Nash, Barkov or Lindros possess. Take some judo or Brazilian jui jitsu classes to toughen up 2 nights a week. At least it will teach him how to throw some body checks and leverage his hips. :)

Thats why i asked for a second Game. he has that Huge Body and never used it, not even for the Forecheck, his front skating is good, but you saw twice he had problem while Backskating.
His Puckcontroll could be much better has problem with his reach cant controll the Puck.
On the other Side he goes always straight to the Net trys to redirect and have a good Eye and a good pass.
But in the Gane we saw, he never was physical challenged, the question is now can he use it, if he gets physical challenged. And that must he learn, when he learns how to use his strength and Size into physical Game, he could be a Player like Simmonds/wilson Mix.

Dread Clawz

LAWSonic Boom
Nov 25, 2006
Pennsylvania
I don't agree with the assessments. Noel did not strike me as soft at all in that vid. What do you want him to do? Run everyone over and take minor penalties? He powered to the front of the net a few times and scored that way once, and used his size to gain position in front, he was a screen in front for another goal. I don't see a lack of intensity because he wasn't cross-check ing guys on every shift, I think that's reading too much into it. Besides he's not that kind of player. If he was he definitely would have went first round. He uses his size when he has to.

GermanPanther

Foundation Defense
Dec 21, 2015
Munich, Germany
I don't agree with the assessments. Noel did not strike me as soft at all in that vid. What do you want him to do? Run everyone over and take minor penalties? He powered to the front of the net a few times and scored that way once, and used his size to gain position in front, he was a screen in front for another goal. I don't see a lack of intensity because he wasn't cross-check ing guys on every shift, I think that's reading too much into it. Besides he's not that kind of player. If he was he definitely would have went first round. He uses his size when he has to.

Not run over everyone, i wanna see BoardBattle or aggresive Forecheck. And yes he could run over everyone in the Game, that is a methode to give your opponent Team some thoughts.
Next Question is why he should get a penalty for a solid, clean check, nothing wrong with it. Better go this Way then learn it to late in the NHL for what you can use it.

Why you always go over the Top, why he should cross check everyone. Why not only a solid Check. My god he could dominate the whole Physical Game in that Vid. When he get into the Pro Level he will be challenged, that is a fact. Older Pros try to find out what he can do with that Body. That has nothing to do with lack of intensity. But he has to learn it and use it. Or you think Player like Wilson or Simmonds, make them self a Name cause he dodged every check and physical battle.

Mogo

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 26, 2002
More and more I read about Noel around the web the more I like this pick. Good project

RogerRoger

Jul 23, 2013
I'm always skepical of players with tools that don't produce much. It's true for Noel and for Denisenko. I hope they take a huge step next season and show that they can translate these tools into production.

Dread Clawz

LAWSonic Boom
Nov 25, 2006
Pennsylvania
Not run over everyone, i wanna see BoardBattle or aggresive Forecheck. And yes he could run over everyone in the Game, that is a methode to give your opponent Team some thoughts.
Next Question is why he should get a penalty for a solid, clean check, nothing wrong with it. Better go this Way then learn it to late in the NHL for what you can use it.

Why you always go over the Top, why he should cross check everyone. Why not only a solid Check. My god he could dominate the whole Physical Game in that Vid. When he get into the Pro Level he will be challenged, that is a fact. Older Pros try to find out what he can do with that Body. That has nothing to do with lack of intensity. But he has to learn it and use it. Or you think Player like Wilson or Simmonds, make them self a Name cause he dodged every check and physical battle.

I didn't see a softness or lack of intensite from Noel in that vid. Could he have engaged harder or thrown a couple extra checks a couple times? Yeah. But he wasn't noticeably softer than any of his teammates. Besides it was just one game. I've seem other games of his where he was using his size more. I think it's a bit extreme to label him after just viewing one game, that's all.

Reactions: GermanPanther

Great8Cam

Nov 2, 2008
I watched him just now at the camp and she looks like he is about 3 years away from making AHL or maybe trying to make the team. He does work hard. He is a hard worker and if he keeps working on his skating he has a good chance.

Brokin

Nov 30, 2014
I consider being physically engaged a big component of a high compete level.

It's constructive criticism and obvious things he needs to work on for the pro game. I'm not in favor of a Rick Nash clone without the skill level. Many of the scouting reports repeat he will not throw a check but uses his body to lean on people. I didn't see anything in the video that would dispute that.:)

Last edited:

GermanPanther

Foundation Defense
Dec 21, 2015
Munich, Germany
I didn't see a softness or lack of intensite from Noel in that vid. Could he have engaged harder or thrown a couple extra checks a couple times? Yeah. But he wasn't noticeably softer than any of his teammates. Besides it was just one game. I've seem other games of his where he was using his size more. I think it's a bit extreme to label him after just viewing one game, that's all.

That's right no one should label him after one Game. But in a Game you use everything you have to get the advantage. So I hope he do better or could do better.

CHGoalie27

Don't blame the goalie!
Oct 5, 2009
SoFLA
That's right no one should label him after one Game. But in a Game you use everything you have to get the advantage. So I hope he do better or could do better.
Maybe in robots, not humans. Hell a couple times a year I'm not a chatterbox so yknow LOL

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad