Seriously, who REALLY has a chance against the Pens?

Dieseloil

Jul 31, 2016
Anaheim, they have no weaknesses somewhat like Washington only the Ducks forwards do well in playoff hockey and their defense is much better.

Too bad they might not get the chance show their magic hockey skills to the world beyond this series, yes i know it's not over.

Legend123

Jul 3, 2016
The CAPS if they had a goalie who can play in the playoffs and not choke like Holtby

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
Yeah no.....Sid owns us ,then we have to try and match two other stars .We arent the team to do this

You guys always seem to give us a hard time in Ottawa though.

If that matchup does indeed happen I don't think the Pens will just roll over Ottawa like everyone might expect.

Aaaaaaaaaaaaa

May 16, 2009
Much as it pains me: The Oilers.

Oilers are my favorite team, Pens are #2. I don't see the Oilers beating the Penguins.

They can match them pretty well in every aspect except for experience and poise. I feel like the one thing people are really overlooking with the current version of the Penguins that was missing from their team all those Bylsma years was poise. They are unflappable. Not just in terms if discipline but more with the way they manage the puck.

Good teams limit mistakes, but great teams limit them and don't turn one bad play into two or three and then a GA. The Oilers still do that. The Pens used to be terrible at it, but they are currently the best team in the NHL at being composed in all situations. I never felt they would lose tonight, even when they were down so dramatically in shots.

Pre-game prediction:

I have to think the Caps will come out flying or else this will be over before it started.

That said, Pens win 5-1.

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
Teams overcoming a 2-0 deficit are somewhat rare, but it happens now and then. Washington has a chance. I'm not predicting it will happen, but it could.

When it does, it happens because a team goes home and wins on their ice usually. I'm not sure it has ever happened with a team going down 0-2 and then having to go win on the road.

Obviously anything can happen and Caps are immensely talented, so I'm not saying the series is over. But this is a huge hole they've dug.

Damisoph

Jun 29, 2010
Look at what they are doing to the Ducks. Oilers are a FAST team.

what exactly are they doing? Being dominated in possession and riding a hot goalie? That's a recipe for success if I've ever seen one. I know in a small sample playoff run possession doesn't amount to a whole lot but let's not imply they're outclassing the Ducks.

victor

Sep 6, 2003
Much as it pains me: The Oilers.

As an Oiler fan, not sure due to experience.

While Lucic has 109 games, Sekera's has 16, and Larsson now has 13, player's like McDavid, Draisaitl, Eberle, Nugent-Hopkins, Klefbom, Nurse, Benning, etc. had zero playoff experience leading up to this playoffs.

First time into the fire? Could be, but they have too many >24y/o players, and too many developing players to be that team, this year.

Dieseloil

Jul 31, 2016
what exactly are they doing? Being dominated in possession and riding a hot goalie? That's a recipe for success if I've ever seen one. I know in a small sample playoff run possession doesn't amount to a whole lot but let's not imply they're outclassing the Ducks.

I don't think any team will outclass the Ducks, but they are doing something right. Case in point the Sharks series, getting bombed in one game and falling behind the next, should of folded there right? Also someone pointed out that the high danger scoring chances in the first 2 games of this series were almost even, yes the Ducks appear to outplay the Oilers, but do they really?

tom_servo

Sep 27, 2002
Pittsburgh
Not an excuse to get outshot to the extent they're getting outshot.

Neither is being in the lead a lot.

They're a phenomenal hockey team but we need to see better from them if they're going to get 10 more wins.

First of all, Washington needs to play three periods. Everyone including me was writing the headlines after 20 minutes.

But who is gonna do it better than Washington? Every Penguin fan would say that only Washington scared them last year, and scared them (plus me) this year. Washington has been the NHL's dominant team for two straight seasons.

I'm honestly shocked the Pens are up 2-0 in this series. Shocked that Fleury is good, shocked that Holtby kinda sucks. But I don't see a bigger threat out there than Washington (who is still in it).

cbzblaze

Nov 26, 2015
Calgary
Oilers Pens matchup this season was very competitive.
The oilers are not considered a fast team anymore but:
They have several players who are very fast and their slower players love to hit. It's a good mix that allows them to play either a speed game or a heavy game.

Pens defense is relatively small. Guys like Draisaitl, Maroon, Lucic & Kassian would be hard to get off the puck, and unlike the Caps forwards, they like to finish off their checks. Especially without Letang, teams should be running that D every chance they get! When guys like Schultz get hit a lot, they start shuffling to avoid hits when making a play. That eventually leads to turnovers. Caps are guilty of the same 'trying to make cute plays' all over the ice. Wilson is the only guy really hitting anyone.

Nakawick

Minty Fresh
Apr 5, 2010
The Range
Any of the remains teams, including the caps, can beat the Pens. I would put the blues chances as the lowest due to there style, but if their is one thing hockey fans should know, it is to take nothing for granted. The Preds look very impressive with their top 4. Head to head I would give them the best odds.

Erik Alfredsson

Beast Mode Cowboy!
Jan 14, 2012
You guys always seem to give us a hard time in Ottawa though.

If that matchup does indeed happen I don't think the Pens will just roll over Ottawa like everyone might expect.

Ottawa would probably win a game, because they're not the type of team to get swept, but it would be a short series with the Pens convincingly winning most games. They're the only team I fear.

bambamcam4ever

107 and counting
Feb 16, 2012
They have several players who are very fast and their slower players love to hit. It's a good mix that allows them to play either a speed game or a heavy game.

Pens defense is relatively small. Guys like Draisaitl, Maroon, Lucic & Kassian would be hard to get off the puck, and unlike the Caps forwards, they like to finish off their checks. Especially without Letang, teams should be running that D every chance they get! When guys like Schultz get hit a lot, they start shuffling to avoid hits when making a play. That eventually leads to turnovers. Caps are guilty of the same 'trying to make cute plays' all over the ice. Wilson is the only guy really hitting anyone.

Literally every team (maybe besides the Capitals this year) the Penguins have played in the playoffs the past two years has started the series with the strategy of running the Pens Dmen, only to abandon that idea later as it creates odd-man rushes the other way.

Dieseloil

Jul 31, 2016

You make some very good points, the Pens have the experience though. If that means anything, we better ask the Sharks and Ducks.

GoalDeny

Dec 24, 2010
Canada
On paper, at this point I think no one can beat the Penguins.

I think above everything, it's their poise that's the most impressive part of their team. They play like a team that knows they're the best on the ice. If someone else can match that mindset, maybe they can push a matchup against the Pens to a tossup.

Lustaf

Nov 26, 2008
Victoria, BC
Ottawa will beat them (by surprise) and face Edmonton in the Finals.

Finally the SC back to Canada, and Bettman crying in his cognac.

I mean if the Pens have to lose an all Canadian final would be dope.

Im still not sure the series is over for the caps, they've had long stretches of domination and the only difference has been Flower.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad