Seriously, who REALLY has a chance against the Pens?

LeetchisGod

This is a bad hockey team.
May 21, 2009
Washington, DC
They're getting absolutely curbed stomped in shots on goal.

That bubble is going to burst eventually.

The Pens are not winning the Cup unless we see a dramatic turnaround in play.

When you have elite offensive talent, you don't need as many scoring chances to score. They may be the only team in the league that can win a cup that way.

jj cale

Jan 5, 2016
Nova Scotia
I don't like Pittsburghs defense at all, they just hope to weather the storm and quick strike you (which I grant they are very good at)

But that defense group out there is very beatable. If they run into a team that plays good team defense and Fleury sags a little I think they are quite beatable.

swiftwin

★SUMMER.OF.PIERRE★
Jul 26, 2005
Definitely NOT Ottawa. They're losing the Rangers in 6, they're garbage. So I've been told.

victor

Sep 6, 2003
I would like to as well. Especially Phu. Remember when Thornton (who's basically dead) beat out Oilers to the puck? Laughable.

No, which play was that?

I remember players like Slepyshev (breakaway) and Draisaitl (breakaway) and of course, McDavid. Nurse had wheels, Klefbom had a 100.5mph shot (assisted by his quick entry into the play,) and players like Kassian, who's speed and size were impressive (not to mention the game winning goals.)

I don't really remember the Thorton play.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
I mean they've played the #1 and #4 overall seeds in two rounds.

Not an excuse to get outshot to the extent they're getting outshot.

Neither is being in the lead a lot.

They're a phenomenal hockey team but we need to see better from them if they're going to get 10 more wins.

Bjornar Moxnes

Stem Rødt og Felix Unger Sörum
Oct 16, 2016
Troms og Finnmark
Nashville has the D to keep pace with their forwards.

Their depth is pretty even as well.

Top end skill obviously favors PIT, but it's not like the Forsberg line has been any slouch.

Difference will come down to goaltending.

One of the best puck movers against one of the worst? Yeah even if Rinne has trouble stopping the puck it's Rinne AINEC. However, Holtby is one of the best puck movers and puck freezers in the league who usually eliminates forecheck and cycles, and it clearly hasn't helped Washington thus far.

Arturs Irbe

Not The Real Arturs
Jan 22, 2017
No, which play was that?

I remember players like Slepyshev (breakaway) and Draisaitl (breakaway) and of course, McDavid. Nurse had wheels, Klefbom had a 100.5mph shot (assisted by his quick entry into the play,) and players like Kassian, who's speed and size were impressive (not to mention the game winning goals.)

I don't really remember the Thorton play.

Slep breakaway was a misplay. Not even Larkin (fastest player in the NHL) is catching him there.
Drai got caught but used his generation butt to keep the defender away.
Nurse and Kassian are fast, I'll give you that.

Erik Alfredsson

Beast Mode Cowboy!
Jan 14, 2012
IF Ottawa can get by the Rangers, then I'm sure it would be a close series.

The Sens played the Pens close during the season, I'm sure it would continue.

I'm a big Sens fan, but a series against Pittsburgh would not be close at all. The Penguins would light us up quite easily.

North Cole

♧ Lem
Jan 22, 2017
Slep breakaway was a misplay. Not even Larkin is catching him there.

Dude is clearly a homer, and not in the good way. Just let him go back to his silent area where his pictures of Moog hang and give off a sultry aroma of dust and sweat. You can't always convince people, even if the truth is obvious. Larkin might have caught him though, big head start.

Synergy27

F-A-C-G-C-E
Apr 27, 2004
Washington, D.C.
It's a weird year. As a Sens fan I'd almost be rooting for a graceful exit in either the 2nd round or conference finals. But the West looks beatable to me. I mean, not that they'd be favorites but it wouldn't be like playing Chicago in their prime. There's a chance. Against unproven teams like Edmonton, Nashville, or St. Louis. As an underdog.

Meanwhile the Penguins will be lurking there in the conference finals like trolls under the bridge and they're gonna club you to death even if you make it that far. No one in the East is beating the Penguins, I don't think.

Maybe Edmonton with some offensive magic, in the finals, and Talbot, but I have my doubts.

Talbot winning the Cup might just cause Lundqvist, and half the Ranger fan base, to commit suicide. So it will probably happen.

All I hope is that Pens fans understand how lucky they are. They've gotten to enjoy watching 3 of the top 10 players of all time night in and night out for 30 ****ing years now. A few down years, sure, but man, must be nice.

lastcupever75

Phive cups PA.
May 14, 2009
I keep waiting for the loss of letang to effect us or fleury to return to his fluery self, but it's just not happening.

They are playing really well

deepelemblues

May 25, 2016
Pittsburgh
Nashville has the D to keep pace with their forwards.

Their depth is pretty even as well.

Top end skill obviously favors PIT, but it's not like the Forsberg line has been any slouch.

Difference will come down to goaltending.

until crosby flicks the switch

or malkin does

or kessel

or guentzel

or some "depth" guy like rust or bonino

the reason goalies don't play well against the penguins is the penguins are loaded af offensively

#1 in goals per game doesn't just happen

JimmyTwoTimes

Apr 13, 2010
Anyone thinking the Sens can beat the Pens reminds me of all the people who said Carolina would beat them in 09 because of what they did in the first two rounds.

Yeah Pens swept em.

JimmyTwoTimes

Apr 13, 2010
Also, the pens have played the sens 4 times in the playoffs since Crosby/Malkin era. There would be no shock factor, etc. Theyve played and beaten Karlsson before.

Csteamer

Mar 23, 2012
If Ottawa makes it through i think we could see a very interesting series. I know i am bias but something feel special around this Ottawa team to me.

Logically i don't think we have any chance vs the pens but at the same time i find myself not worried. I am oddly(considering he is basically on one leg) confident Karlsson can carry us through.

You give up way too many goals. Pens will average 5 per game against the Sens.

Boud

Dec 27, 2011
I'm a big Sens fan, but a series against Pittsburgh would not be close at all. The Penguins would light us up quite easily.

Same here and I'm a Sens fan..

I don't think any Sens fan realistically thinks we could beat the Pens.

I don't think any realistic fan should think their team can beat the Pens either. The only team that can actually match up against them is the Caps and we see what's going on.

If Pens finish Caps in 4, I legit think they could go 16-0.

victor

Sep 6, 2003
Slep breakaway was a misplay. Not even Larkin (fastest player in the NHL) is catching him there.

Larkin is the fastest player in the NHL?

Slepyshev showed why he's the "other" 1st overall pick for Edmonton. Good size, good wheels, likes to hit.

Draisaitl has wheels, as do many other Oilers. They're inexperienced, I'd give you that, but they're not a slow team.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad