Series Talk: MDSF Flyers (3) vs Penguins (2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

SympatheticResonance

Jan 29, 2010
giroux and talbot and read and coots were our two main pk groups. hartnell didn't really do much instigating that series. In fact the Flyers just played hockey that series. The Pens kept choking leads and losing and they eventually flipped out.
Thank you. What a fun series that was.

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
Hey everyone,

I'm looking at putting together a sort of fan vs fan perspective writeup for our work in progress articles section:
http://hfboards.mandatory.com/articles/

Is anyone here interested in writing a 3 paragraph-ish post for us about what you think of the match up, who will win, players to watch, or whatever is on your mind? It can even be a post you were gonna write anyway.

You get trophy points when you contribute an article if that floats your boat :P

Quote me with the post you'd like to use or send it to me via conversation if you're interested.

Thanks,

Angry Hockey Dad

Eat up Johnny
May 30, 2013
Canada
I could watch highlights of that 2012 series allll day.

Giroux leveling Crosby and scoring a goal all in just the first 30 seconds of Game 6 = awesome.

How would you all feel about them bringing the “Doop” goal song back? If just for this one series at least? We could use some of that 2012 mojo against these *** clowns.

Boy it would be so fitting for the Flyers to end their run. Wouldn’t let them hear the end of it. And the best thing is you know how much it would bother their fans, seeing as they always have us in their thoughts even after winning Stanley Cups. Pathetic. Hope they enjoy this window while they can - can’t see them lucking into more generational talents.

I miss DOOP with all my heart

FlyersMania2

#FireHakstol
Jul 4, 2007
NJ
Apparently, the Penguins have a passion for fashion.

tumblr_p4h6rpTFp31vhnua2o1_1280.jpg

God, I really want the Flyers to beat those guys.

Phil plans to use his shirt as a tablecloth to eat hotdogs off of later in the night

Reactions: Amorgus

flyersfan187

Dec 4, 2007
Morrisdale, PA
You know the Penguins are going to come hard at Couts and Patrick in this series early and often. They know you need strength down the middle and without those two this team would take a huge step back. Provy and Ghost will get hit at every opportunity as well. The Flyers better be ready because they will target our younger stars to try and rattle them as they should.

FlyersMania2

#FireHakstol
Jul 4, 2007
NJ
You know the Penguins are going to come hard at Couts and Patrick in this series early and often. They know you need strength down the middle and without those two this team would take a huge step back. Provy and Ghost will get hit at every opportunity as well. The Flyers better be ready because they will target our younger stars to try and rattle them as they should.

They are going to come hard in general unless they suddenly stop competing for no rhyme or reason. They are fast - super fast - makes you wonder what kind of poor conditioning is being done with our team.

Reactions: Philly Phish

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Flip , Torgo, Manning just can't all be in the same line up vs the Pens. Just too much crap play to overcome, and too slow to keep up.

Unfortunately, we can't play our first two lines 30 minutes each, or Provorov and Ghost for 40 minutes a game.
It is what it is, and no amount of griping can fix our lack of quality depth.

FlyersMania2

#FireHakstol
Jul 4, 2007
NJ
Unfortunately, we can't play our first two lines 30 minutes each, or Provorov and Ghost for 40 minutes a game.
It is what it is, and no amount of griping can fix our lack of quality depth.

Oh look this argument again where in a wild assumption that literally ANYONE is suggesting we play the same guys for 30 mins per game

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
The problem isn't just minutes, it's shifts.
You need to roll out 4 lines because in the normal flow of games, players need a few minutes to get their aerobic capacity back to normal, same with three pair of defensemen.
When you have breaks, TV timeouts, etc., you can double shift your best players, but you're going to have to play the Lehtera's and Manning's on a regular basis, whether you want to or not.

I'm not sold that Sullivan is brilliant, he looked good in Boston in 2003-4 when he had Thornton and a hot goalie in Rycroft (.926S%).
Two years later, Thornton gets hurt, and even with Bergeron, Leetch and a deeper team, and Tim Thomas replacing a slipping Rycroft, he misses the playoffs with a mere 74 points and gets fired.

When he took over from Johnston, they played a little better, 71 points in 54 games v 33 in 28 games.
But that was an "all veteran team" - Sullivan didn't play anyone younger than 23 other than Maata on the 3rd D pair.
Crosby (29), Kessel (28), Malkin (29), Hornqvist (29), Kunitz (36), Cullen (39), Bonino (27), Hagelin (27), Fehr (30)
Sheary (23) and Rust (23) were inserted in the second half and the playoffs - Sheary and Rust both spend 1+ seasons in the AHL after college.
Same on defense: Letang (28), Daly (32), Dumoulin (24), Lovejoy (31), Maata (21), Cole (26), Schultz (25)
Dumoulin spent 2 years in the AHL after college
And what carried them to the Cup was a hot Murray replacing Fleury.

The only big changes last year was promoting
Guentzel (22), after 3 yrs in college and a half season in the AHL.
Wilson (24), after college and 2 AHL seasons
Having Fleury and Murray combine for a .929S% in the playoffs will make any HC look smart.

Point is Sullivan has been coaching a deep, veteran team, where young players were well "marinated" in college and the AHL before they were promoted, with great goaltending. So he hasn't had to "coach up" young players.

This season they added Sheahan (26), Oleksiak (25), Simon (23), [Czech with 2 AHL seasons), Aston-Reese (23) - good depth moves
At the TDL: Brassard & 2018 3rd for 2018 1st, 2019 3rd and Cole

Still the same team, led by a group of veterans, with "marinated" young players gradually incorporated into the mix.

Amorgus

Sep 22, 2017
Rochester NY
I don't see much point in reading that main board thread because sadly how can you successfully talk trash a back to back Cup winner and not just sound jealous and/or living in the past? I do want to bitchslap that one dude that thinks it's the height of comedy to keeps bringing up Giroux and the cop like it f***ing matters. I'm sure there's at least one person on their team that's done much worse and not as an ultimately harmless joke.

FlyersMania2

#FireHakstol
Jul 4, 2007
NJ
I don't see much point in reading that main board thread because sadly how can you successfully talk trash a back to back Cup winner and not just sound jealous and/or living in the past? I do want to *****slap that one dude that thinks it's the height of comedy to keeps bringing up Giroux and the cop like it ****ing matters. I'm sure there's at least one person on their team that's done much worse and not as an ultimately harmless joke.

lol I came here to invite you all to join me in trash talking with them right now about being bandwagon fans.

Because that is one thing we can all honestly say - whether the Flyers are first or worst, the fans are loyal. Pens are known to have a huge crowd of fans who only show up for playoffs

Amorgus

Sep 22, 2017
Rochester NY
lol I came here to invite you all to join me in trash talking with them right now about being bandwagon fans.

Because that is one thing we can all honestly say - whether the Flyers are first or worst, the fans are loyal. Pens are known to have a huge crowd of fans who only show up for playoffs
Now that's if you can positively ID bandwagon fans, then THAT is a legit target. I loved how the Dallas Stars AV guy puts memes on the Jumbotron mocking bandwagon Blackhawks fans all the time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad