Pre-Game Talk: Series Talk: Canucks vs. Blues in the Western Conference Quarterfinals

What have you got?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Captain Bowie

Jan 18, 2012
Bo's gonna have Eriksson stapled to his wing all series and while Pearson is better than Loui it's not exactly star power, I don't see Horvat taking over a series like this. If he had better wingers then sure. He'll be against the Schenn line which looked bad in the round robin so that's in his favour.

The biggest thing in our favour is the Blues look so disinterested. I don't believe teams "flip the switch" so maybe we can get out to a 1 or 2 game lead in the series before the Blues round into form. If we can do that and if Markstrom can channel his regular season form we have a shot.
Kesler had what Samuelsson and Raymond on his wings? Not superstars.

Reactions: Tony Stacks

rypper

21-12-05 it's finally over.
Dec 22, 2006
How could a returning champion not get up for the shot at repeating? I mean I hope it's true and they sleep their way through the series so they can get out of the bubble but that just seems crazy to me. Yeah you won a cup, now go for the repeat. Whatever though our benefit if their hearts aren't into it.

VibinCanuck

No doubt about it, I am ready to get hurt again
Sep 13, 2014
Vancouver
How could a returning champion not get up for the shot at repeating? I mean I hope it's true and they sleep their way through the series so they can get out of the bubble but that just seems crazy to me. Yeah you won a cup, now go for the repeat. Whatever though our benefit if their hearts aren't into it.

It seems like the break was awful for them and are struggling to take things seriously. Drance gets to see these games live and he's stated they look like they don't even want to be there.

member 328930

It's going to be a tall order here for the Canucks to make their way past STL, but it will be a good experience for everyone who has not had a taste of a real playoff. I love the push back from the Canucks in the Minny series - that's something we had not seen from this team in years. As great of people and players the Sedins were, I like the jam that Pettersson brings. It's a different sort of vibe where he is clearly not just going to sit there and take it like the twins did. I think that rubs off on the rest of the team.

Reactions: NoRaise4Brackett

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
last time we played st louis in the playoffs kesler’s linemates were sundin and demitra. man does that seem like a lifetime ago.

Reactions: vanuck

Jyrki21

2021-12-05
Sponsor
Even when the Canucks are good I am always wary of picking them to win a series... but I actually could see them taking this. Part of it is I just don't know enough about the Blues to be really afraid of them, and part of it is the Canucks having had a decent record against them in recent times.

But when you throw in the fact they've just come out of a less competitive round robin whereas the Canucks have already gone through an elimination series (true of all of these matchups of course), but as Drance has pointed out, STL kind of has the least to gain out of all this as incumbent champions and their hearts haven't looked in it... I could definitely see an upset here if Markström has a good series.

Diversification

Jun 21, 2019
Cup hangover is a real thing. Covid19 shutdown might compound it.

Hope STL comes out flat and doesn't wake up until it's too late.

Canucks LB

My Favourite, Gone too soon, RIP Luc, We miss you
Oct 12, 2008
Can someone just quickly do a mini scouting report on the differences between Minnesota wild and the St. Louis Blues, because they seem to be pretty even on paper except for goaltending and the centre position

Diversification

Jun 21, 2019
Can someone just quickly do a mini scouting report on the differences between Minnesota wild and the St. Louis Blues, because they seem to be pretty even on paper except for goaltending and the centre position
Off the top of my head:

1) STL has better goaltending
2) STL has superior defensive quality 1-6
3) STL has better forward depth and better high end offense
4) STL is much bigger and more physical
5) STL can generate offense off the rush and enter the O-Zone with possession

The Wild, for their part, are tirelessly hard working and slavishly adhere to their tight defensive system. Classic counterpunching team. But what was their undoing was their pop gun offense and lack of physical snarl.

timw33

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 18, 2007
Victoria
Was really hoping we'd get the 10-loss in a row Stars coached by Bowness. Would be extremely impressive to beat St Louis, but then again, this playoffs is going to continue to be pretty chaotic.

Reactions: VanillaCoke

Kryten

slightly regarded
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
Kootenays
Roussel and Myers need to keep their cool for us to have any chance. We won’t be getting many PPs this series either. Whoever wins the first game I’d bet wins the series, We need to keep the pace up since it’s true that STL wasn’t very interested or engaged during their play in and if they wake up it’ll be an uphill battle

alicia

~
Apr 11, 2011
Vancouver, B.C
The biggest take away I got from Game 4 against Minnesota was that this new Canucks team has a killer instinct. They’re hungry and have the talent to make some serious damage.

I picked Canucks in 4 last series and this time I’ll take Canucks in 6. Let’s go, the Blues might be a good team but our style always does well against them

Reactions: Mr. Canucklehead

hellstick

Nov 2, 2006
Abbotsford
Going Vancouver in 6.

I'm a homer here, and I'm looking at this matchup in the lens of a Canucks fan, but we're better than them in every way imaginable including: personal hygiene, attractiveness, personality, etc.

Wait, didn't they win the cup last year?

We beat them, I'm pretty sure we get the cup. That's how it works.

mriswith

Oct 12, 2011
Myers doesn't get called for half of those penalties in a normal regular season game. Not sure what he did/which refs wife it was but he could play exactly the same way this series and generate way less penalties. We'll need his physicality against the blues.

Might well be compared to Eriksson, especially Samuelsson.

Horvat isn't exactly 40 goal scoring selke winning back to back 70 point seasons Ryan Kesler either.

I'm not really sure where you're going, you think Bo and 2011 Kesler's lines are comparable? I don't. I'm not a Bo hater, I think he would be a 70 point guy right now with legitimate contender worthy top six linemates instead of Eriksson and Pearson, but he isn't 2011 Kesler.

My main thesis is that I think Pettersson will get shut down. Teams have figured out that you can double team Pettersson and his line won't punish it, and Pettersson hasn't figured out how to dominate despite this. I don't think Bo can take over a series like this so with Pettersson shut down we'll need our bottom six to do a lot of heavy lifting.

I love that we're playing the blues. They're going to do exactly the kinds of things that our young guys need to learn how to play against so the experience will be valuable especially if they can figure out a way to overcome it. If it's a special teams battle like vs the wild or if the blues are still sleepy I think we're favoured. If not, I don't and the above are my reasons.

SeawaterOnIce

Bald is back in style.
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2011
That 2008-2009 team was stacked, god damn Luongo.

That 2008-09 team was so good and Sundin was heating up.

Pivotal moment in Game 4. Canucks up 2 games to 1 and leading 1-0 with minutes to go in Game 4. Mitchell turnover and poor defending. Boom goal against and Chicago never looked back.

Didn't help that Luongo gave up crap goals in game 5 and completely unravelled in game 6.

Bojack Horvatman

IAMGROOT
Jun 15, 2016

In a cap league once you spend money on the important positions, there is little cap space left for middle 6 wingers. Having several cheap wingers that outperformed their contract was huge.

Raymond and Samuelsson were actually perfect wingers for Kesler. Gillis said that Kesler sucked at zone entries, but was dominant once in the offensive zone. Samuelsson and later Higgins were brought in for that reason.

EpochLink

Canucks and Jets fan
Aug 1, 2006
Vancouver, BC
That 2008-09 team was so good and Sundin was heating up.

Pivotal moment in Game 4. Canucks up 2 games to 1 and leading 1-0 with minutes to go in Game 4. Mitchell turnover and poor defending. Boom goal against and Chicago never looked back.

Didn't help that Luongo gave up crap goals in game 5 and completely unravelled in game 6.

Thus the birth of 7uongo was born.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad