Pre-Game Talk: Series Discussion: Round 2 Oilers vs Knights

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
This flex scheduling and extra days off kills series momentum for me. Might be good for extra rest and injury recovery for the players but as a fan i hate it,
Why are the seasons and playoffs still late? Its been years since Covid impact. May 5 and we're only into 1 game in 2nd round. WTF?

Playoffs used to end around this time. Even when we were winning cups last games would be played around May 20.

At this rate they might be playing in July....

NHL needs to get its act together. its a Friday and one game nobody wants to watch is on tap. Tomorrow, NHIC, only one game. Thats a slap to Canada. Then Sunday for some reason 3 games.

Just compress the schedule like usual. Get it done.

Oilers333

Jul 8, 2022
All the goaltenders reaching the NHL, except for a select few, are a carbon copy of one another. It's all about how the team plays in front of them.

If the team is positioned the exact same way 10 out of 10 times, the goaltender will trust the coverage.

The same select scenarios play themselves out over and over. A mental imprinting is hammered subconsciously. Muscle memory takes over.

The five man unit is responsible for limiting the shots from the exact same placement. The saves start to become routine for the goaltender.

The game should resemble the practices.
I dont know who told you that but they lied to you

• Haha
Reactions: 2for1PizzaPastuh

BudBundy

May 16, 2005
That matches the eye test. The real head scratcher is that he keeps getting consistent minutes. Woodcroft influenced Holland's decision to not acquire another RD at the deadline because he wanted to give Desharnais shot. Maybe he just doesn't want to be wrong? Very strange.
From the day he was recalled through game 82 Vinny was awesome and the team was rolling. It may be time to change, but keeping him in the lineup up to this point isn’t really that mystifying.

Reactions: Gordy Elbows

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
You’re leaky when one of teammates scores 4 goals and you still managed to let your team down

That doesn’t explain your comment, “Imagine how well the Oilers would be playing if they weren't afraid of Skinner being so leaky”.

You’re saying the Oilers play afraid with Skinner in net. Please provide any evidence of this.

Reactions: Arty Spooners Bsmnt

soothsayer

Oct 27, 2009
From the day he was recalled through game 82 Vinny was awesome and the team was rolling. It may be time to change, but keeping him in the lineup up to this point isn’t really that mystifying.
It is to me. He's been making game-changing gaffs since game 1 against LA. And it's not necessarily that he isn't sitting that's baffling. It's that he's still playing as much as he is.

McDrai

Mar 29, 2009
This is from the mains. I might have to frame this on my wall

IMG_0985.jpeg

xoczar99ox

Oct 8, 2019
Holy shat my prediction of Jersey being a dark horse was off! They are getting pumped by Carolina.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
If Desharnais is on the ice next game I will change my name from Jay Daddy to Jay Idiot
You'll probably be changing your name. Jay gives extra rope to Desharnais because he is a RD and he likes that he is really good at clearing the crease, and his replacements wouldn't be. I see the Kulak-Desharnais pairing as very complementary. Also there is that we are down forwards. If we go 11-7 there isn't enough depth behind Desharnais to bump. If we are going with some rookie or even Demers I doubt we come ahead. And btw I am in favor of scratching Desharnais besides all that. But, we could also just go 11-7 with him and just give him a short leash

Holy shat my prediction of Jersey being a dark horse was off! They are getting pumped by Carolina.
Honestly Carolina is usually underrated. They had such an amazing D, probably the best in the playoffs with that Slavin there. Plus Burns, Pesce, Skjei. Great forwards and G as well

Blue Line Turnover

Oct 26, 2006

I thought so, as well, but I feel it's partly because a lot of the media were really clamoring to call them the "dark horse" of this year; it got to the point that we sort of became indoctrinated to the idea, imo

Reactions: xoczar99ox

Satire

Nov 20, 2016
Well my predictions were pretty much Dallas in 6, Toronto in 6, NJ in 7, and Edmonton in 7. So far I'm doing great...

In all honesty, tomorrow truly does feel like a do or die situation for us... Which is silly because it's only game 2!

Reactions: barry halls

SwedishFire

Mar 3, 2011
Split McDavid and Draisaitl back up. We let a hot goalie convince us that it wasn't working when it was.

RNH-Bjugstad-Hyman on the other hand absolutely does not work.
Top6 is falling apart.
They need 5 vs 5 get going.
McDavid should be great enough to capitilize on his own with some good players

Kane McDavid Hyman
Fogele Nuge Leon
Kostin McLeod Bjugstad
Janmark Ryan Yamamoto

Reactions: Duke74

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
You'll probably be changing your name. Jay gives extra rope to Desharnais because he is a RD and he likes that he is really good at clearing the crease, and his replacements wouldn't be. I see the Kulak-Desharnais pairing as very complementary. Also there is that we are down forwards. If we go 11-7 there isn't enough depth behind Desharnais to bump. If we are going with some rookie or even Demers I doubt we come ahead. And btw I am in favor of scratching Desharnais besides all that. But, we could also just go 11-7 with him and just give him a short leash

Honestly Carolina is usually underrated. They had such an amazing D, probably the best in the playoffs with that Slavin there. Plus Burns, Pesce, Skjei. Great forwards and G as well
Yup. Pretty sure Desharnais is dressing. Woodcroft is starting to shift third pair minutes slightly with elevating Broberg's EV ice-time while concentrating Desharnais for PK support. The leash is getting shorter though. I think the Oil are still going to run 7-11 because it also enables McDavid, Draisaitl to drive mismatches with shifts with 4th line wingers, especially if those are Kostin and Yamamoto. Personally though I'd like to see Kostin at 3W running with McLeod.

What is interesting is hearing that Niemelainen is getting some practice time with the main roster group. I only heard vague mention of this but if it is the case suggest the coaching staff still views a need for a heavy, physical defender type within their d-corp mix. Not sure it will get to this point of swapping out giants but curious that Niemelainen apparently is skating with the team.

Jets4Life

Dec 25, 2003
Westward Ho, Alberta
Goaltending will decide who wins this series.

Brossoit is streaky. He can have periods where he stands on his head, but when he played for the Jets, he was definitely #2 to Hellebuyck. Additionally, Brossoit just turned 30, and isn't going to morph into Carey Price. The key is to get into his head, and plug away with shots,

Skinner HAS to step up to the plate. He is 24, and needs to come through. Being better than Brossoit is not exactly that difficult. Skinner has to be clutch in this series, or the Oilers may find themselves golfing soon.

94 Oil Drops

McHy is the new McDrai.
Sep 19, 2019
Alberta
Just before the start of the season I posted in the hot takes thread on the mains that the Oilers would play the Hurricanes in the final and win in 7. Still could happen. :)

Perfect_Drug

Mar 24, 2006
Montreal
Hurricanes-Panthers eastern final. Imagine how happy Bettman would be.
I hate southern teams.

I had a vacation 2 weeks ago in Clearwater Beach (right by Tampa). It's the goddamn Carribean.

Hockey is mmaaybe #7 in popularity there?

Ice hockey just shouldn't be in the Carribean or in the desert.

I hate Toronto and Calgary more. But Sunbelt teams can f*** off. Vegas included.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $2,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $354.00