Pre-Game Talk: Series Discussion: Round 2 Oilers vs Knights

Dieseloil

Jul 31, 2016
Oilers would have won with great goaltending, but reality is we need much better from Darnell Nurse, Cody Ceci, Brett Kulak and Evan Bouchard. Ekholm has had better games, but was our best as usual. Vinny D should be used sparingly from here on. Forwards were mostly meh, losing puck battles, mishandling it, getting caught up ice etc. Wood Salad sugar coating everything as usual. They can beat The Golden Maidens, have to get past themselves first.

iCanada

Feb 6, 2010
Edmonton
Oilers would have won with great goaltending, but reality is we need much better from Darnell Nurse, Cody Ceci, Brett Kulak and Evan Bouchard. Ekholm has had better games, but was our best as usual. Vinny D should be used sparingly from here on. Forwards were mostly meh, losing puck battles, mishandling it, getting caught up ice etc. Wood Salad sugar coating everything as usual. They can beat The Golden Maidens, have to get past themselves first.

We need more from everyone not named Draisaitl & Ekholm.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Now that I've slept on it I feel a lot better about the series.

The fact we played that bad and still only lost by a goal is a positive. Our team defense and goaltending won't be that bad again.
Goaltending wasnt even in the top 10 of issues in the last game. The team defence was brutal.

The good news...this coaching staff has done exceedingly well making adjustments and getting buy in from the players. Even if VD is in the lineup there are ways to mitigate the impact of the Vegas forecheck.
Based on what we have seen so far in the playoffs (this season and last season) I would suggest that there is little to no chance the team in front of Skinner isnt much better on Saturday.

Niten Ichi Ryu

Jul 1, 2018
It's too bad they don't show the Vegas pre-series shows anymore in the playoffs. Although many thought it was corny, I thought it was awesome

Here's a fan's view of the pre-series show game 1. So hyped for tomorrow. Game 2 Edmonton Oilers always show up to the battlefield

harpoon

Dec 23, 2005
Bob was shit during the regular season to, now look at him.

Play Campbell
‘Shit’ is a relative word. Look at Bob’s career stats. Outside of the one year (20/21) in the playoffs where he totally fell apart, he’s been a very consistent performer. Reports of the death of Bob were greatly exaggerated.

russ99

Jun 9, 2011
Game 2 is a real litmus test as to how Woodcroft has evolved as coach.

Much to adapt, starting with 11-7.

The Knights roll 12 good forwards so why are we putting the team at a disadvantage, and letting them wear down our 11 (or 10 with injury) player group with forechecking.

The time to trust your players is now, if you’re so concerned a player can’t hack this level, why is he on the/roster? Broberg should be the 6D and if off side is a worry, Kulak can play right side as well. At forward, hopefully Ryan is better, and put in Holloway if another guy is too sick or hurt to be effective, or to fill out the 12.

The Oilers need a different philosophy against the Knights on breakouts, offensive possession and first man back/deny the crease on defense as well.

It will cost us if Woodcroft chalks it up to a bad game and plays the Knights the exact same way. We’ve criticized him in the past for not adapting, but the playoffs shine a brighter light on decisions the later in the postseason we go.

Last edited:
Reactions: Duke74 and InTheBox

bobbythebrain

Jul 30, 2016

The Knights roll 12 good forwards so why are we putting the team at a disadvantage, and letting them wear down our 11 (or 10 with injury) player group with forechecking.

The time to trust your players is now, if you’re so concerned a player can’t hack this level, why is he on the/roster? Broberg should be the 6D and if off side is a worry, Kulak can play right side as well. At forward, hopefully Ryan is better, and put in Holloway if another guy is too sick or hurt to be effective, or to fill out the 12.

The Oilers need a different philosophy against the Knights on breakouts, offensive possession and first man back/deny the crease on defense as well.

It will cost us if Woodcroft chalks it up to a bad game and plays the Knights the exact same way. We’ve criticized him in the past for not adapting, but the playoffs shine a brighter light on decisions the later in the postseason we go.

What? 11-7 had them as one of the top NHL teams. 11-7 had them go thru LA in 6.

We lost by a goal and it seemed more like a case of first game jitters and minor mental mistakes yet again.

The hyperbole after every loss is truly outstanding

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
Just like last series this series will be another roller coaster of emotions. We as a fan base should mature like the team, dont get to high or low

Indeed, this has the makings to be a long series, and I felt Vegas was going to be trouble.

I’m very curious to see how Woody adjusts his lineup and the in game tactics. Bottom line is he can make all the adjustments he wants, if the Oilers insist on shooting themselves in the foot it won’t matter.

North Cole

♧ Lem
Jan 22, 2017

Based on his post game he chalks up as a bad game but that the team didn't actually do what was planned, so I don't think we are going to see the same approach. The question is whether we will see the right approach. Vegas is pretty beatable if you don't shoot yourself for 2-3 free GA, we know we can score 4-6 against LB.

Reactions: Oilhawks

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
In the last 7 games, with Desharnais on the ice at 5v5, the Oilers have a .774 Save %. Without him on the ice they have a .949 Save %. When on the PK with Desharnais on the ice they have a .667% and without him on the ice they have a .810%.
Yeah I think at the end of the day the guy has had a brutal playoffs. Doesn’t mean he’s done as a player he doesn’t even have a full season in the league yet but he shouldn’t see the ice. Bring Niemelainen in if your going 11-7.

SupremeTeam16

5-14-6-1
May 31, 2013
Baker’s Bay
I think the scheduling and last minute changing of scheduling is a big benefit for Vegas. They’re the older, veteran team with a nagging injury to their best player. On the other hand Oilers have been rolling and this early in the playoffs I’m sure they’d prefer to be playing more than one game in a week. Especially considering it results in a 3 day break between games, on the road in Vegas. Not ideal if you’re trying to maintain focus, the Vegas flu is real.

It sucks because the league is hell bent on growth and increased revenue so markets such as Canadian teams that are basically tapped out and will support their team no matter what, get the short end of the stick many times because the league knows they’re getting that money regardless, whereas there’s so much more money to be had in these larger markets with fair weather fans as long as the teams are competitive.

I look at the debacle that is the Coyotes, if that was a Canadian market struggling so much with no building and low turnout, Gary would be trying to move that team out so fast.

Reactions: Arty Spooners Bsmnt

Oilers333

Jul 8, 2022
You look at the other series and their goalies. Samsonov in Toronto, Otty in Dallas, Bob in Florida, Greub in Seattle. The crazy story of the Shmidt guy in Jersey. Every goalie has been the best goalie on the ice and stolen them a game at least once. Not us lol

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
What? 11-7 had them as one of the top NHL teams. 11-7 had them go thru LA in 6.

We lost by a goal and it seemed more like a case of first game jitters and minor mental mistakes yet again.

The hyperbole after every loss is truly outstanding
We need to stick with the 11-7 or else we leave a rookie D exposed on the right side if one of VD or Broberg is having a bad game and our 4th line will end up being Shore-Mcleod-Kostin. I'd much rather have one of McDrai or RNH double shifting on the 4th line.

I think the scheduling and last minute changing of scheduling is a big benefit for Vegas. They’re the older, veteran team with a nagging injury to their best player. On the other hand Oilers have been rolling and this early in the playoffs I’m sure they’d prefer to be playing more than one game in a week. Especially considering it results in a 3 day break between games, on the road in Vegas. Not ideal if you’re trying to maintain focus, the Vegas flu is real.

It sucks because the league is hell bent on growth and increased revenue so markets such as Canadian teams that are basically tapped out and will support their team no matter what, get the short end of the stick many times because the league knows they’re getting that money regardless, whereas there’s so much more money to be had in these larger markets with fair weather fans as long as the teams are competitive.

I look at the debacle that is the Coyotes, if that was a Canadian market struggling so much with no building and low turnout, Gary would be trying to move that team out so fast.
We might have a minor injury to our best player as well. I think the extra day benefits us more. Gives the players an extra day to stew over their poor performance and gives the coaching staff more time o adjust to Vegas' game plan.

Reactions: bobbythebrain

Lacaar

Jan 25, 2012
Edmonton
Skinner I don't think has outright lost us a game, and hasn't outright won us a game. Campbell I think could outright win us a game.. and outright lose us a game. Pick your poison. I kind of lean to skinner as I think the Oilers are good enough to win with completely average goaltending.

Desharnais is unfortunately getting caved in these playoffs. He's been failing the eye test and getting destroyed on the advanced stat test. I don't think it would hurt to see if increasing Broberg's minutes improves that. Can the numbers get any worse? Doesn't mean get rid of Desharnais. But Perhaps some press box time will help him.

Let's hope for some more jam from the forwards this game. They were last to pucks and lost battles left and right all over the place. They looked tired and injured and out of sync until desperation times kicked in at the end of the periods and game. Though it's been 7 games and I'm not really liking what I see from RNH, Hyman, and Kane. They may have to do this with limited help from them for whatever reason.

Reactions: MessierII

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
f*** Vegas and f*** the league for once again turning a blind eye to a team committing blatant camp circumvention by hiding a player (Stone) on LTIR in order to make deadline additions (Barbashev, Blueger and Quick) only to have said LTIR'd player magically healthy and ready to play for game one of the playoffs.

Bunch of cheaters. No respect to that team. Even if they win this series they can rot in hell.

Totally agree but this is Bettmans NHL. He could care less about the fans. That little legal elf cares only about franchise values. He literally has zero concept about the integrity of the game.

Reactions: xoczar99ox

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Skinner I don't think has outright lost us a game, and hasn't outright won us a game. Campbell I think could outright win us a game.. and outright lose us a game. Pick your poison. I kind of lean to skinner as I think the Oilers are good enough to win with completely average goaltending.

Desharnais is unfortunately getting caved in these playoffs. He's been failing the eye test and getting destroyed on the advanced stat test. I don't think it would hurt to see if increasing Broberg's minutes improves that. Can the numbers get any worse? Doesn't mean get rid of Desharnais. But Perhaps some press box time will help him.

Let's hope for some more jam from the forwards this game. They were last to pucks and lost battles left and right all over the place. They looked tired and injured and out of sync until desperation times kicked in at the end of the periods and game. Though it's been 7 games and I'm not really liking what I see from RNH, Hyman, and Kane. They may have to do this with limited help from them for whatever reason.
There were so many moments in last nights game where the Oilers managed to turn a nothing play into a scoring chance for Vegas. Many of them 10 bell chances and Vegas didnt even earn them.
You just dont win in the playoffs doing that regardless of who is in net.
They have to clean that up.
Last night games is when I really miss players like Janmark and Ryan.
Smart defensively responsible players are not a strength for this team.

Duke74

Jan 13, 2018
In the last 7 games, with Desharnais on the ice at 5v5, the Oilers have a .774 Save %. Without him on the ice they have a .949 Save %. When on the PK with Desharnais on the ice they have a .667% and without him on the ice they have a .810%.
Someone needs to show those numbers to Woody. There's no way they can continue to play such an egregious liability.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad