Pre-Game Talk: Series Discussion: Round 2 Oilers vs Knights

duul

Jun 21, 2010
The biggest, clearest thing that is going to lose us this series is their transition through the neutral zone and into just inside the blueline.

Haven't seen another NHL team this smooth and creative coming out of their own zone. They drag defensemen to the outside of the ice just outside of Vegas' blueline when breaking out and whip wild passes across the ice to a guy breaking in with speed.

After this they'll slow up once they hit our blueline and always start gliding into the centre of the ice to look for other various creative passing opportunities like lay ups towards the bottom of the circles to a guy beating Desharnais wide, or a quick clean rocket back across the tops of the circles to a guy who got open somehow. They have all these ways coming out of their end to get incredible scoring chances that I never see us do.

Our M.O. is rip the puck in, or if we do skate it in, an instant button hook towards the boards with no speed and everyone else already at the net by the time the guy decides to chip it back down the boards. Such a low event style that is getting us nowhere 5 on 5.

I pray Woodcroft found a way to combat this style Vegas uses because it's going to obliterate us over the course of the series. I wonder how you stop it anyway. Guys were getting loose with these fake outs all game long. All four of their lines were doing this by the way. Guys I had never heard of making beautiful area passes in the neutral zone that nobody on our team even fathoms making. Their neutral zone play is a thing of beauty man.

I wonder if we could implement this with the players we have. I think it's just a higher IQ brand of hockey that Cassidy has ingrained in these guys because I don't remember this with Gallant. You see Boston still playing like this even with the carryover with their coaches. Wonder if it's a Cassidy thing.

Zerotonine

Apr 23, 2017
I think the boys bounce back in a big way tonight, but even if they go down 0-2 it’s far from a death sentence, they’ve shown they can win 3-4 in a row.
They say your not in trouble until you lose one at home

Is Ryan Rishaug full of it, or is McDavid actually banged up
I'm starting to wonder about mcdavid, he hasn't been him self. He was a give away machine last game. I don't think it's his skating or lower body because he is still flying. It's something to do with his upper body or hands the way he continues to fumble the puck. Amd he isn't shooting much either.....

Reactions: barry halls

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
I thought so, as well, but I feel it's partly because a lot of the media were really clamoring to call them the "dark horse" of this year; it got to the point that we sort of became indoctrinated to the idea, imo
This is the kind of thing that gets me is that the league and media prop certain teams and in the case of Jersey its been all season. You'd think they were world beaters. I saw them as first round fodder. The Rangers had different ideas. Like I've said all along Devils don't have the kind of forward group that is very suited for playoff intensity. They're pretty small.

Last edited:
Reactions: Blue Line Turnover

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Why does your son want to do anything other than watch the Oilers on his birthday? ;)
Maybe he can make a wish when blowing out the candles..

Grow em up right to be Oilers fans. Cake should be Blue and Orange

Just before the start of the season I posted in the hot takes thread on the mains that the Oilers would play the Hurricanes in the final and win in 7. Still could happen. :)
I still have PTSD from the last time.

FFS looks like EC champ will be down south, Carolina or Florida. So odd. Can't stand any SC being played so far south, and its happened now so many times.

Last edited:

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
Maybe that all-Canadian Final thing was a bit premature eh.
I don't like the Leafs but I still say they take that series. They have a horrible tendency to take their foot off the gas and get stomped but they'll snap out of it. I also don't think Bobrovsky is that good

Duke74

Jan 13, 2018
You'll probably be changing your name. Jay gives extra rope to Desharnais because he is a RD and he likes that he is really good at clearing the crease, and his replacements wouldn't be. I see the Kulak-Desharnais pairing as very complementary. Also there is that we are down forwards. If we go 11-7 there isn't enough depth behind Desharnais to bump. If we are going with some rookie or even Demers I doubt we come ahead. And btw I am in favor of scratching Desharnais besides all that. But, we could also just go 11-7 with him and just give him a short leash

Honestly Carolina is usually underrated. They had such an amazing D, probably the best in the playoffs with that Slavin there. Plus Burns, Pesce, Skjei. Great forwards and G as well
Desharnais hasn't been great at clearing the crease. He was standing right beside Mark Stone when Stone scored Vegas' third goal.

MoneyGuy

Wandering
Oct 19, 2009
I don't like the Leafs but I still say they take that series. They have a horrible tendency to take their foot off the gas and get stomped but they'll snap out of it. I also don't think Bobrovsky is that good
User name checks out.

I doubt that happens but I’m hoping it does.

Captain Fantastic

Connor McMastadon
Feb 24, 2012
YEG
Gonna miss most the game :( :( :(

At my wife’s parents tomorrow for our sons birthday

Oilers better get this damn win!
Hmm..Here's a plan. Give your son his gift early so he's happy whether you go with them or not. One hour before it's time to leave, pretend you have stomach cramps and stumble to the bathroom. Make discomfort noises to gain sympathy. You're wife will then say it's best you stay home. Once they leave, you're home free. Enjoy the game but look out the window once in a while to be sure no one returns early. :naughty:

• Haha
Reactions: McDrai

MoneyGuy

Wandering
Oct 19, 2009
I took Oilers in 6 and I’m sticking with that. #NotaHomerPick

Hmm..Here's a plan. Give your son his gift early so he's happy whether you go with them or not. One hour before it's time to leave, pretend you have stomach cramps and stumble to the bathroom. Make discomfort noises to gain sympathy. You're wife will then say it's best you stay home. Once they leave, you're home free. Enjoy the game but look out the windowsn once in a while to be sure no one returns early. :naughty:
I may or may not have used that tactic a couple of times in the ‘90s.

• Haha
Reactions: Captain Fantastic

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
Desharnais hasn't been great at clearing the crease. He was standing right beside Mark Stone when Stone scored Vegas' third goal.
That's because he was covering Stephenson, anticipating a shot there and doing a stick lift. In general our PK has been awful and I'm not sure why. I would say that Desharnais may be overrated in that role if it's true that it's a big reason why Jay likes to keep him around

User name checks out.

I doubt that happens but I’m hoping it does.
It's not really a positive outcome for me if the Leafs win. I just don't see the Panthers as that great, just on a hot streak. I've actually been a bit of a Panthers fan for a long time actually. I'm just realistic about it

Reactions: Duke74

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad