Pre-Game Talk: Series Discussion - Boston vs St. Louis Part II

ChillWill1

Nov 28, 2017
idk if id be able to watch a game 7 stanley cup final overtime

feel nauseous just thinking about it
It’s funny because everyone in the league is wishing to see a game 7 OT. I’m pretty sure is Blues fans and Bruins fans can all agree that we don’t. My heart wouldn’t be able to take it. :laugh:

Note Worthy

History Made
Oct 26, 2011
St. Louis, MO
I’ll be honest, I’ve never understood stats of historical context that have nothing to do with Wednesday’s game.

For example, I think I saw that the home team is 12-4 in game 7’s in the SCF at home.

And? Who cares. What does that have to do with this match up? Game 7’s in 1962 have nothing to do with the 2019 playoffs. Who cares what those useless stats say.

islandersdynasty

May 26, 2018
Fairfax, VA
I’ll be honest, I’ve never understood stats of historical context that have nothing to do with Wednesday’s game.

For example, I think I saw that the home team is 12-4 in game 7’s in the SCF at home.

And? Who cares. What does that have to do with this match up? Game 7’s in 1962 have nothing to do with the 2019 playoffs. Who cares what those useless stats say.

It's a mentality thing. I just saw Ken Daneyko on NHLN mention that the Devils losing game 6 at home in 2001 being up 3-2 in the SCF was devastating and they never recovered. The Devils played tense knowing the Cup was in the building and they didn't get it that night. You think about the lost opportunity the following day and it just bugs you. But like I said in the earlier post, there are 2 days for the Blues to think about it and hit reset.

Last edited:

TK 421

Barbashev eats babies pass it on
Sep 12, 2007
They don't like home wins. Home wins are for pansies. They only like road wins so they can troll everyone.

Reactions: Lakas

PocketNines

Cutter's Way
Apr 29, 2004
Badlands
It's a mentality thing. I just saw Ken Daneyko on NHLN mention that the Devils losing game 6 at home in 2001 being up 3-2 in the SCF was devastating and they never recovered. The Devils played tense knowing the Cup was in the building and they didn't get it that night. You think about the lost opportunity the following day and it just bugs you. But like I said in the earlier post, there are 2 days for the Blues to think about it and hit reset.
but that was a Cup defending team and one that was in the middle of three Cups. It knew how to win. I have a tough time giving it too much credit to them being nervous in 2001 after winning in 95 and 00. I'm sure everyone's nervous, and after there's a result they tell a story about what happened. If they win they overcame and if they didn't it was because they were too nervous.

Reactions: 4TheHullOfIt

PocketNines

Cutter's Way
Apr 29, 2004
Badlands
Winners:
PHI 68
MIN 68 (2OT)
MIN 72 (OT)
TOR 86
DET 91
PHX 99 (OT)
CHI 16
DAL 16
DAL 19 (2OT)

Losers:
MIN 84 (OT)
CGY 86
CHI 90
TOR 93
VAN 95
DET 96 (2OT)
SJ 00
VAN 03

WWWLWLLWLLLWLLWWW sequentially

No team has ever beaten the Blues in 7 and gone on to win Cup
Blues have never won in 7 and gone on to win the Cup

Last edited:
Reactions: JoshFromMO

islandersdynasty

May 26, 2018
Fairfax, VA
but that was a Cup defending team and one that was in the middle of three Cups. It knew how to win. I have a tough time giving it too much credit to them being nervous in 2001 after winning in 95 and 00. I'm sure everyone's nervous, and after there's a result they tell a story about what happened. If they win they overcame and if they didn't it was because they were too nervous.

First, the Devils never won the Cup on home ice before 2003. There was pressure on them to win in front of their home fans and they couldn't focus on their game. Second, Danyeko said while the Devils were a veteran team their experience actually hurt them. St Louis is young and tends to forget the previous game. The Devils kept thinking about their Game 6 loss right before Game 7 was played.

Nederlander

Apr 19, 2017
Colorado
The last two game sevens were won by the road team. Seeing as Boston won Game 7 in 2011 in Vancouver, it would be karmic justice for the Blues to return the favor. Also, somehow it didn't feel right them winning the Cup without Barbashev on the ice. I just feel like they will get it done on Wednesday night.

Brockon

Cautiously optimistic realist when caffeinated.
Aug 20, 2017
Northern Canada
Is there one for losing at him and then winning game 7 on the road?

The 1945 Leafs lost game 6 at home to Detroit and won game 7 on the road. So... of the 16 previous SCF game 7s, the home team lost game 6 and won game 7 once.

The road team has won game 4 times to date.

I won't take credit for the legwork, here's a link to a THG YouTube video dissecting the game 6/7 outcomes of all 16 SCFs requiring the winner go the distance.

JoshFromMO

Apr 6, 2015
Missoura

Also no team held the lowest points in the league after new year's and win a series so this team has been defying odds left and right all playoff season. They're playing on the road which is a position of strength, on a bounce back game, with a player coming fresh off a suspension. In a series with no momentum carry over.

PocketNines

Cutter's Way
Apr 29, 2004
Badlands
First, the Devils never won the Cup on home ice before 2003. There was pressure on them to win in front of their home fans and they couldn't focus on their game. Second, Danyeko said while the Devils were a veteran team their experience actually hurt them. St Louis is young and tends to forget the previous game. The Devils kept thinking about their Game 6 loss right before Game 7 was played.
One thing is the Devils of 95 and 00 each won 10 road games like the Blues will have to do to win the Cup.

Won 10 road games:
95 Devils
00 Devils
04 Flames (lost Cup)
12 Kings
18 Caps

Blues are the only team to win 9 road games in a single Stanley Cup playoffs.

PocketNines

Cutter's Way
Apr 29, 2004
Badlands
With 26 GP the Blues tie for the most GP in a single playoff year.

Lost:
87 Flyers (in 7)
04 Flames (in 7)
15 Lightning (in 6)

Won:
14 Kings (in 5)

PocketNines

Cutter's Way
Apr 29, 2004
Badlands
11 times teams have beaten St. Louis Blues en route to a Cup:
68 MTL
69 MTL

70 BOS
72 BOS
77 MTL
97 DET
98 DET
99 DAL
01 COL
02 DET
12 LA

31 times teams have beaten Boston Bruins en route to a Cup:
27, 28, 30, 31, 40, 43, 45, 46, 48, 49, 51, 53, 57, 58
68 MTL
69 MTL

71 MTL
74 PHI
77 MTL
78 MTL
79 MTL
80 NYI
83 NYI
86 MTL
88 EDM
90 EDM
91 PIT
92 PIT
95 NJD
03 NJD
13 CHI

I notice that since expansion, the only teams that beat the Bruins en route to the Cup were teams that would win multiple Cups. The 68-69-71 Canadiens. The Flyers won two Cups. The Canadiens again. Then the Islander dynasty. Montreal with Roy went through them. Then Edmonton's dynasty. Then Pittsburgh. Then Scott Stevens' Devils. Then recent Chicago.

Further, each of the teams except Dallas who beat the Blues won multiple Cups, which is fitting since 99 SCF G6 remains suspended in triple OT forever. Tainted Cup, kind of doesn't count for the category.

If Boston wins Wednesday they automatically fit this category whereas it means if the Blues win they will go on to win multiple Cups!

Last edited:

Mafisen

Oct 14, 2018
I hope this isn't a bad omen, but last night when I went with one of my kids to school for his end of year school party, I saw a kid in a Bruins jersey and this morning when I dropped them off, I saw a kid in a Bruins hoodie and cap.

Mafisen

Oct 14, 2018
Let me tell you a story. It's about soccer, but bear with me.

In this year's Champions League, the biggest trophy there is in soccer, Liverpool Football Club came up against one of the greatest clubs of all time in the semifinal, FC Barcelona. The first match was in Spain. The match ended in a thumping 3-0 loss, despite Liverpool not playing badly at all. So for the return leg in Liverpool, not many had any hope of overturning such a huge deficit against a team with arguably the best player of all time on it (Leo Messi).
Liverpool's manager Jürgen Klopp, said that it would be very difficult but, and I'm paraphrasing here "we will try and maybe we will fail, but we will fail in the most beautiful way".

Anywho, the game started and in the 7th minute, Liverpool score, and the aggregate score is now 1-3. First half ends.

In the 54th minute, Liverpool score again to cut the total lead to 1. Crowd is beginning to go frantic. And in the 56th minute it's full blown pandemonium when Liverpool score again to level the tie. Then, with 10 minutes to go, Liverpool score from a corner to knock out the giants of Barcelona and proceed to the final. A final where they beat Tottenham to hoist the trophy for a 6th time.

Back in 2005, Liverpool came back from a 3-0 deficit at half time to beat the giants of that era, AC Milan on penalties.

So believe. Sports aren't always logical. Anything can happen. It's not over until the obese lady has wailed.

2018-19 Cup Champs!
Mar 22, 2012
If we’re doing predictions I’m going to say that if the Blues win it’s going to come on a greasy goal by Oskar Sundqvist mucking it up in front.

If the Bruins win it will be a Krug wrister off the rush high blocker on Binnington.

Ad

Upcoming events

• USA vs Sweden
    USA vs Sweden
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,050.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Finland vs Czechia
    Finland vs Czechia
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $200.00