Pre-Game Talk: Series Discussion - Boston vs St. Louis Part II

AjaxManifesto

Pro sports is becoming predictable and boring
Mar 9, 2016
St. Louis
Cant predict any of this. One team will win. My nerves will get a break close to this time tomorrow (unless there is OT in which case I am worse off) and on Thursday I am either planning my trip to STL for the parade or I am trying to forget about hockey for about 3 months before I start to wonder how long it will be before the Blues get that far again and if it will be in my lifetime.

You never know.

It’s been a heck of a ride.

That game 7 against Dallas was all us vs Bishop.

Benn puts that puck an inch over on the wrap around and we wouldn’t be here. People forget there is a great deal of puck luck in this.

Stupendous Yappi

Idiot Control Now!
Sponsor
Aug 23, 2018
Erwin, TN
I don’t have a good feel for what to expect from this game. I wouldn’t be surprised if the magic runs out and Binnington looks subpar. I won’t be surprised if the Blues play their best game of the post-season. I’m glad they have a chance to win it all. I’m very proud of this team.

I’d love for Parayko to stun Rask with a bomb and force Halak into the game. Or just have Rask play with his bell ringing. (Like the Bishop incident.) But hats off to how well Rask has played. (I still feared Bishop more.)

It would be wonderful if the Tarasenko line showed up, in contrast to how quiet they were last game.

Hard to believe one way or the other it’s over tomorrow. There will be no sudden letdown of a premature elimination. I’m ready for it to be over.

Please fate, let the Blues have something special in store for this game. If ever there was a time for a hero to step up and carry this team into the history books, it’s this game.

vanuck

Now with 100% less Benning!
Dec 28, 2009
Watching the Blues PP is weird for me. It's very likely that there's some poor puck luck going on here with regard to how inept it's been so far in this series, however I just can't get over how little movement there is from the Blues, whether at the point or down low.

If I'm not mistaken, they're attempting to run a 1-3-1 (for the 1st unit at least) but they've got the shooters on their strong sides which makes absolutely no sense when you're looking to create quick puck movement and one-timers. A prime example being Tarasenko at the left circle and Perron at the right... what the heck??

I'd switch those 2 around and put Dunn on the top unit as well. He's obviously the most mobile and gifted of the Blues' D-men and he should be given the lion's share of PP time. They're probably better off just loading up the top unit at this point.

Essentially, yes I do think puck luck is one factor but another and equally as important factor is the PP coaching which has been subpar.

Reactions: Vincenzo Arelliti

Ted Hoffman

The other Rick Zombo
Dec 15, 2002
I'll back us to the bitter end, but folks ... I'm not feeling it tonight.

Now, I also didnt feel it in Game 5 and look how that turnes out. I'm also trying to change jobs, do thank you notes from an interview yesterday, sent my 18-year old off to thr Marines yesterday, deal with Mrs. Mud's anguish over that, work through the growing shitstorm that is my department's work environment, and get focused for (hopefully) the next-to-last exam of my actuarial career that I'll take in October.

So, I might be a little distracted and that might be screwing up my gut feeling. Either way, let's hope this team comes out with effort we haven't seen the last 2 games and removes all hope from Bruins players and all doubt from the Blues haters out there.

I don't care how we f***ing do it, let's go win the Cup tonight and prove my gut feeling wrong in the most epic manner.

JoshFromMO

Apr 6, 2015
Missoura

Now, I also didnt feel it in Game 5 and look how that turnes out. I'm also trying to change jobs, do thank you notes from an interview yesterday, sent my 18-year old off to thr Marines yesterday, deal with Mrs. Mud's anguish over that, work through the growing ****storm that is my department's work environment, and get focused for (hopefully) the next-to-last exam of my actuarial career that I'll take in October.

So, I might be a little distracted and that might be screwing up my gut feeling. Either way, let's hope this team comes out with effort we haven't seen the last 2 games and removes all hope from Bruins players and all doubt from the Blues haters out there.

I don't care how we ****ing do it, let's go win the Cup tonight and prove my gut feeling wrong in the most epic manner.
After all that work you've done in the playoff hopes thread, I'll have the confidence for the both of us. I'm still getting used to taking my kid to daycare, I can't imagine how dropping them off for the marines feels. Good luck with your life adventures!

Stealth JD

Don't condescend me, man.
Sponsor
Jan 16, 2006
Bonita Springs, FL
You never know.

Benn puts that puck an inch over on the wrap around and we wouldn’t be here. People forget there is a great deal of puck luck in this.

Nobody forgets this part of it. This is exactly why the Blues MUST WIN tonight, because even if next year the Blues morph into a better version of this year's Lightning squad, there are no guarantees that they'll be able to survive three rounds of randomness to get back to the Finals. If every series they enter, they have a 60% chance of winning, that's still only a 13% chance of winning a Cup with only a ~ 22% chance of making it back to the Final. Those are daunting figures; and that doesn't even consider injuries along the way, horrible officiating, red-hot goaltending from an opponent or just plain bad luck.

And with the short-offseason they're already guaranteed, the chances of getting back to this point next year are even smaller.
I'd like to think that teams are able to maintain consistency from year to year, and charge their way through the playoff bracket year-in and year-out like those Islanders, Oilers & Canadiens teams of yesteryear...but the Cap era has proven that just doesn't happen. Blues may be able to fight their way back to the Final in the coming seasons...but it's unlikely simply because of math. Then you've got to look at teams like Colorado and Chicago who have quietly been restocking the cupboard and picking up more high picks this year, and wonder if the Blues have enough to hold off their foes in the short-term.

Let's just make that a moot point and win the goddamn Cup now, thank you.

Reactions: Deko and Chippewa

Reality Czech

Apr 17, 2017
You never know.

For sure, there is a "poker" element to sports in that your can make the right moves and still get beat by bad luck (or good luck from your opponent). You have to survive a lot of coin flip situations where the margin between winning and losing is razor thin, as in the Dallas game 7. Someone can just make a great individual play our be in the right place at the right time.

Feel like Boston is just a bit too confident that they have this series won, hope the Blues can finally deliver the knockout blow.

Stupendous Yappi

Idiot Control Now!
Sponsor
Aug 23, 2018
Erwin, TN

Now, I also didnt feel it in Game 5 and look how that turnes out. I'm also trying to change jobs, do thank you notes from an interview yesterday, sent my 18-year old off to thr Marines yesterday, deal with Mrs. Mud's anguish over that, work through the growing ****storm that is my department's work environment, and get focused for (hopefully) the next-to-last exam of my actuarial career that I'll take in October.

I don't care how we ****ing do it, let's go win the Cup tonight and prove my gut feeling wrong in the most epic manner.
Well I hope you can manage one final update to this thread after the game, updating the Blues road to the Stanley Cup. 1 game left to go.

I also don't have a great feeling about tonight's game, but I had a great feeling about Game 6.

I'm taking a lot of comfort in Berube's casual smiling response to questions about how the team felt going back to Boston for Game 7. He looked legitimately happy. If the team feel that way, they're not going to go into the game doubting their chances.

Dammit, I can't believe it all comes down to one game.

Reactions: JoshFromMO

CaptainCrunch28

Jun 1, 2019
Well I hope you can manage one final update to this thread after the game, updating the Blues road to the Stanley Cup. 1 game left to go.

I also don't have a great feeling about tonight's game, but I had a great feeling about Game 6.

I'm taking a lot of comfort in Berube's casual smiling response to questions about how the team felt going back to Boston for Game 7. He looked legitimately happy. If the team feel that way, they're not going to go into the game doubting their chances.

Dammit, I can't believe it all comes down to one game.
In the pics of them skating today and yesterday, I see a lot of smiles on the players faces

Reactions: Stupendous Yappi

Brockon

Cautiously optimistic realist when caffeinated.
Aug 20, 2017
Northern Canada
Nobody forgets this part of it. This is exactly why the Blues MUST WIN tonight, because even if next year the Blues morph into a better version of this year's Lightning squad, there are no guarantees that they'll be able to survive three rounds of randomness to get back to the Finals. If every series they enter, they have a 60% chance of winning, that's still only a 13% chance of winning a Cup with only a ~ 22% chance of making it back to the Final. Those are daunting figures; and that doesn't even consider injuries along the way, horrible officiating, red-hot goaltending from an opponent or just plain bad luck.

And with the short-offseason they're already guaranteed, the chances of getting back to this point next year are even smaller.
I'd like to think that teams are able to maintain consistency from year to year, and charge their way through the playoff bracket year-in and year-out like those Islanders, Oilers & Canadiens teams of yesteryear...but the Cap era has proven that just doesn't happen. Blues may be able to fight their way back to the Final in the coming seasons...but it's unlikely simply because of math. Then you've got to look at teams like Colorado and Chicago who have quietly been restocking the cupboard and picking up more high picks this year, and wonder if the Blues have enough to hold off their foes in the short-term.

Let's just make that a moot point and win the goddamn Cup now, thank you.

People scoffed at me for saying Dallas and Colorado weren't as bad on the blue line last summer as common opinion suggested... After this year's meeting with Dallas and watching Colorado (armed with the 4th OA pick) they're going to improve next year in the standings...

The Central is about to watch those 2 teams get more high end skill incorporated - this division is going to be a nightmare again, outside of Chicago and Minnesota.

Making the WCF is a daunting task in general, a short off-season won't help at all.

Stupendous Yappi

Idiot Control Now!
Sponsor
Aug 23, 2018
Erwin, TN
I really appreciate Sharp. He was thrown a question by Kathryn Tappen trying to draw parallels to the Blues' game 7 win to one of Chicago's Cups wins. His response, "Yeah, we had a game 7, but this isn't about the Hawks. This is about the Blues right now, and they just won the Stanley Cup."

Over the course of this playoffs he's become my favorite hockey TV personality. He's genuine, has good comments, and has had a better pulse on this Blues team than anyone else I listened to.

Ranksu

Crotch Academy ftw
Sponsor
Apr 28, 2014
Lapland
I really appreciate Sharp. He was thrown a question by Kathryn Tappen trying to draw parallels to the Blues' game 7 win to one of Chicago's Cups wins. His response, "Yeah, we had a game 7, but this isn't about the Hawks. This is about the Blues right now, and they just won the Stanley Cup."

Over the course of this playoffs he's become my favorite hockey TV personality. He's genuine, has good comments, and has had a better pulse on this Blues team than anyone else I listened to.
Video about it?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad