Game Analysis: SERIES DISCUSSION: ADSF | Rangers vs. Canadiens Pt. 3 (MTL leads 2-1)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dr. Ogrodnick

Jan 10, 2007
It's a condemnation of AV worrying more about matching MTL's physicality than optimizing the Rangers' skill.

And a lot of people were concerned about exactly this going into this series. Would AV outcoach himself by worrying too much about MTLs physicality rather than having the Rangers do what they do best.

Siddi

Rangers Masochist
Mar 8, 2013
Global
Where are they going with this? Sure, you don't want to have outhit the other team. But you absolutely should be hitting guys when they have the puck.

Maybe try puck posession mindset before you employ traditional "hit everything that moves" mindset?

Take that Glass hit on Weber in game 2. While it was a nice hit it lead to a Montreal scoring chance because of Glass only focusing on hitting instead of puck retrieval ending with him being caught deep in Montreals zone.

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..
I agree with that. But they could have just pointed to shot totals to make that point. By framing it as "hitting correlates with bad results" I read it as condemning an important and effective element of the game. Like I said before, you don't want to have outhit the other team, but you absolutely should be hitting guys when they have the puck.

Yeah but then it wouldn't fit the narrative.

yrrebbor

Jan 21, 2014
New York, NY
They really just need to simplify the game to get their confidence back. Get all guys moving forward at the same time. Have at least 3 guys skating hard when they hit the redline and dump to the open corner. Than overload that defensemen. No one man only zone entries anymore. We have to keep hitting the zone with 3-4 guys moving hard at the same time since the Habs are standing up at the blue line. Go retrieve that puck with at least 2 men to 1 Habs Dman.

You think dump and chase is what works for this team? They can't chase, and they can't set up in the offensive zone. They are a transition team. Quick pass over their blue line, rush over the red line, make smarter passes, and GET THE REBOUND.

Sdevils42

Nov 30, 2016
I get the idea, ride the horses as hard as you can. But you simply cannot compare Seabrook, Keith and Hjarmalsson to McD, Skjei and Smith. Keith is an absolute stud future HoFer, and I believe largely underrated. I wouldn't take McD over any one of those guys, and Smith isn't even in the discussion. I will resign that Skjei definitely has the potential, he can move the puck and play solid in his own zone.

I truly think Rangers management has overvalued the current roster. Their "top" guys cannot match with the "real" contenders best. As I said earlier they just lack the high end talent that cup winning teams posses.

I think this current roster will continue to be a playoff team with early exits. I understand they have a large passionate fanbase to appease which is why I don't believe that they'll do what they should've done after the cup run which is re-build.

Thirty One

Safe is safe.
Dec 28, 2003
Where are they going with this? Sure, you don't want to have outhit the other team. But you absolutely should be hitting guys when they have the puck.
Yeah, I think winning and hitting have a confounding variable (puck possession). I do think that the teams that are building lineups to win the hits battles are probably building lineups that are suboptimal in other areas, but 20 games isn't a big enough sample to draw a conclusion. It's weird how people get the concept of sample size when the data doesn't support their stance, but forget about it completely when it does.

Dr. Ogrodnick

Jan 10, 2007
I get the idea, ride the horses as hard as you can. But you simply cannot compare Seabrook, Keith and Hjarmalsson to McD, Skjei and Smith. Keith is an absolute stud future HoFer, and I believe largely underrated. I wouldn't take McD over any one of those guys, and Smith isn't even in the discussion. I will resign that Skjei definitely has the potential, he can move the puck and play solid in his own zone.

I truly think Rangers management has overvalued the current roster. Their "top" guys cannot match with the "real" contenders best. As I said earlier they just lack the high end talent that cup winning teams posses.

I think this current roster will continue to be a playoff team with early exits. I understand they have a large passionate fanbase to appease which is why I don't believe that they'll do what they should've done after the cup run which is re-build.

Sure, its obviously not equivalent. But what you can do is not have your worst pair by a country mile out trying to defend a 1 goal lead in the final minute of a game. The last 3-5 minutes of game 2 should have been a rotation of Mcd/Girardi and Smith/Skjei. Anybody watching the game could see that. Coaching 101. Yet AV completely blows it. That should have everybody concerned. The fanbase should not be sitting at home able to outsmart the coach.

Glennsoe

Horndog
Jan 7, 2011
C9lDYCoXoAED4-K.jpg

Kovalev27

BEST IN THE WORLD
Jun 22, 2004
NYC
I personally think Kreider is struggling because of his center Derek Stepan and how horrible he's been. Can't get pucks to his wingers in scoring areas can't get pucks to the net for CK to make plays on.

Stepan killing this team right now

Holocene

Mar 10, 2011
Toms River, NJ
I think our line up is very good outside of D 4-6. The transitional system we currently employ with half our defense being awful at transitioning the puck is the start of the problems on offense.

mrmovies779

The Greatest Teacher,Failure is.
Feb 5, 2013
I personally think Kreider is struggling because of his center Derek Stepan and how horrible he's been. Can't get pucks to his wingers in scoring areas can't get pucks to the net for CK to make plays on.

Stepan killing this team right now

Nope.Zuc was on that line and absolutely all over the ice.Kreider is playing like a creampuff right now,and dare i say it,playing scared.

FJB

Jun 30, 2009
I have zero faith in this team. They are not playing like they want to win. Lundqvist will be the best player to never win a cup.

will1066

Fonz Drury
Oct 12, 2008
I'd take a chance on Clendening and/or Kampfer at this point. Need puck movers to bring any sort of speed coming out of our own zone.

Kovalev27

BEST IN THE WORLD
Jun 22, 2004
NYC
Nope.Zuc was on that line and absolutely all over the ice.Kreider is playing like a creampuff right now,and dare i say it,playing scared.

Zucc is a play maker Kreider isn't. And Zucc isn't setting him up either other than the one look early yesterday. Starts in the middle. Stepan holding the whole line back

Zucc had a puck go off him and in the net. Otherwise he's done nothing but get knocked down a whole lot.

will1066

Fonz Drury
Oct 12, 2008

Kreider taps that Zucc pass in early on, and it probably would've been a much different game.

Siddi

Rangers Masochist
Mar 8, 2013
Global
Zucc is a play maker Kreider isn't. And Zucc isn't setting him up either other than the one look early yesterday. Starts in the middle. Stepan holding the whole line back

Zucc had a puck go off him and in the net. Otherwise he's done nothing but get knocked down a whole lot.

I disagree. Zucc has been battling hard and showed a lot of heart. He is actually the only one winning board battles in the o-zone.

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
You think dump and chase is what works for this team? They can't chase, and they can't set up in the offensive zone. They are a transition team. Quick pass over their blue line, rush over the red line, make smarter passes, and GET THE REBOUND.

I can not say because we have rarely done it correctly. When we have done it correctly like other teams we have had success. Dump in chase doesn't mean one guy dump and chase while 4 guys stand waiting at the blue line. We need 3-4 guys moving forward at the same time in unison. If the other team is standing up at the blueline the last thing you want is 3-4 of our guys standing around waiting for 1 guy to try to carry the puck in the zone. We have been doing that with horrible results.

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
Kreider taps that Zucc pass in early on, and it probably would've been a much different game.

Would have helped for sure. We were still numb over losing in OT. If CK scores it wakes our crowd up and builds our confidence a little bit.

Glennsoe

Horndog
Jan 7, 2011
Buch will be rekt in half by the big Boyz...no confidens in him being a difference maker in a positive way at all..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad