Value of: Sergi Bobvrosky next contract.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
I don't think I'd be comfortable going above 8m on any goalie long-term (well, atleast until the cap rises significantly). He'd be in demand on the market, but I don't think a crazy bidding war would go down. You just can't pay elite goalies comparable to their elite positional players.

For example, the Tavares deal goes south on the Leafs, it is hard to think that he can't be much worse than a complimentary 2nd line LWer for a significant portion of the deal (not factoring in a career altering injury). A goalie deal goes south on you, you either can't pay them or are paying a back-up a fortune. Generally, elite positional players who are overpaid, can at least be something valuable, even if they are overpaid (I'm not talking of middle-sixers who get overpaid most seasons such as a Clarkson or even a complimentary 1st liner like Ladd or Okposo). Goalie's while extremely impactful on overall resaults, have such a small margin of error in maintaining their spot, it is insane to pay them a premium.

Seanaconda

May 6, 2016
I don't think I'd be comfortable going above 8m on any goalie long-term (well, atleast until the cap rises significantly). He'd be in demand on the market, but I don't think a crazy bidding war would go down. You just can't pay elite goalies comparable to their elite positional players.

For example, the Tavares deal goes south on the Leafs, it is hard to think that he can't be much worse than a complimentary 2nd line LWer for a significant portion of the deal (not factoring in a career altering injury). A goalie deal goes south on you, you either can't pay them or are paying a back-up a fortune. Generally, elite positional players who are overpaid, can at least be something valuable, even if they are overpaid (I'm not talking of middle-sixers who get overpaid most seasons such as a Clarkson or even a complimentary 1st liner like Ladd or Okposo). Goalie's while extremely impactful on overall resaults, have such a small margin of error in maintaining their spot, it is insane to pay them a premium.
King hank prob earned his money . Price is scary but other than holtby who almost lost his job b4 winning the cup bob is the best goalie in the league during the reg season. But loungo earned his contract eventually . Even tho Vancouver managed to lose both their starters

TwoPiece

Jul 24, 2018
we will see after his next 5 if his 15 can compare to Marty.
But... Bob's only played 8 seasons in the NHL, and he wasn't good in 2 of those years. Even if he's great for 5 more years, that's only 11 seasons of being elite compared to 15 seasons of Brodeur being absolutely elite.

Bob also can't hold a candle to Brodeur's playoff numbers.

RogerRoger

Jul 23, 2013
But... Bob's only played 8 seasons in the NHL, and he wasn't good in 2 of those years. Even if he's great for 5 more years, that's only 11 seasons of being elite compared to 15 seasons of Brodeur being absolutely elite.

Bob also can't hold a candle to Brodeur's playoff numbers.
Brodeur has 6 elite years. Bob has 2.

It's not to say that they are not good goalies, but using Wins has a metric is not a good way to measure how elite a goalie is. It's a measure of the overall team.

TwoPiece

Jul 24, 2018
Brodeur has 6 elite years. Bob has 2.

It's not to say that they are not good goalies, but using Wins has a metric is not a good way to measure how elite a goalie is. It's a measure of the overall team.
I don't know how you're quantifying the "6" and "2", but Brodeur was one of the best goalies in the NHL for 15 years. The NHL also changed its rules particularly to eliminate one of Marty's elite talents. It's pretty ridiculous, at this point, to consider Bob ever being better than that.

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
He's a 10 million+ dollar player.

Bobrovsky's current contract adjusts to being just shy of 8.1M, so I think that sets the absolute floor for him. Why would he take a pay cut in terms of cap percentage when he has only become more valuable since signing that deal?

Lundqvist's contract would be 10.5M under today's salary cap as it was a 13.22 percent cap hit. Bobrovsky will be 31 when any extension kicks in, that's similar to Lundqvist. Price also signed a 10.5M x 8 year contract that kicks in at age 31.

Looking at other goalies, Rinne and Rask both signed long term deals that would be about 8.7M when adjusted for the current salary cap. Although, Rask was much younger than Bobrovsky.

Schneider's contract would be just shy of 7 under today's cap, Crawford 7.4, Varlamov 7.3. Those three goalies aren't on Bobrovsky's level and some would be making close to the mid 7M mark when their contracts are adjusted for today's cap.

Looking at all the info above, I think the first three paragraphs of comparisons are the most relevant. I can't see Columbus getting Bobrovsky for anything short of 9 million, but anything up to 10.5M is a perfectly justifiable as on Bobrovsky's part. Term should be 7-8 years. Maybe CBJ gets a slight discount on AAV since they are the only team that can go up to 8 years. Something like 8 years 9.5M in CBJ instead of 7 years 10.5M on the open market.

Reactions: major major

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
And Carolina's coach plays him at center. Watch the games.

Despite the fact their coach hasn't coached a game yet you already know Aho is at center amazing. Even if that does happen that's only because Carolina doesn't have enough real centers, the only difference between them and Montreal at center is Carolina has Jordan Staal

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
I objected to the initial bridge, but I guess I did say that 4 years was OK in that one quote. I may have had some other posts on the subject at the time, but I'm not going to bother looking them up.

In any case, Jarmo has placed himself in a position where he is going to lose both of his most valuable players for nothing or very little. That takes a stunning lack of vision. The CBJ stand a decent chance of returning to the glory days of the Howson years.

Keep beating the CBJ management can do no wrong drum.
You're still doing the absurd hindsight thing. When Bob was extended, Panarin wasn't even in the NHL yet, Saad was still looking like he was staying in Chicago, and thanks to a career year it looked like our offense's future was firmly in the hands of Ryan Johansen. That's not a lack of vision you're complaining about; it's a lack of supernatural psychic prophecy.

RogerRoger

Jul 23, 2013
I don't know how you're quantifying the "6" and "2", but Brodeur was one of the best goalies in the NHL for 15 years. The NHL also changed its rules particularly to eliminate one of Marty's elite talents. It's pretty ridiculous, at this point, to consider Bob ever being better than that.
How do you qualify the 15 elite years? He was one of the best for 15 years, yes. Were all these years elite, no. Otherwise, you'd be arguing that .906% with a 2.32 GAA is elite. Which wasn't (ranked 22nd and 13th that year)
I do agree that Bob would have to go on one hell of a dominating (and improbable) streak to have a better career than Brodeur.

ER89

Jul 25, 2018
The problem is that right now the team is rich in really good looking goaltending prospects (Korpisalo, Merzlikins, Vehvilainen, Tarasov), and so a lot of Jackets fans are getting antsy about Bob's playoff numbers and wanting to roll the dice.
I think you guys should walk at anything over 5 years and 7M which will most likely be the case. Korpi is good enough to be a starter especially with jones and weresnki in the mix. Take the money and go after some offense. That's what I'd do.:)

major major

Feb 18, 2013
The problem is that right now the team is rich in really good looking goaltending prospects (Korpisalo, Merzlikins, Vehvilainen, Tarasov), and so a lot of Jackets fans are getting antsy about Bob's playoff numbers and wanting to roll the dice.

I don't think any of those goalie prospects are top tier. Maybe Merzlikins, and even being a top-15 goalie prospect doesn't tell you much about whether he'll offer anything above replacement level in the NHL.

I think you guys should walk at anything over 5 years and 7M which will most likely be the case. Korpi is good enough to be a starter especially with jones and weresnki in the mix. Take the money and go after some offense. That's what I'd do.:)

The Jackets can't even sign their own star forwards, so where the heck are they going to get offense from? UFA?

And the value is off anyways. Let's assume they suddenly become an attractive destination for some reason. JVR just signed for 5 years at $7m. Do you think he provides the equivalent of 30 goals above a replacement player each year? Because that's what Bob does. Can a Tavares level forward even match that?

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
This is a cute theory, but it falls down in practice because we're already overloaded on offensive depth; we need stars. The good news is that there is indeed likely to be a star forward on the free agency market next year; the bad news is that it's Panarin.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
I don't think any of those goalie prospects are top tier. Maybe Merzlikins, and even being a top-15 goalie prospect doesn't tell you much about whether he'll offer anything above replacement level in the NHL.
I agree. I'm not saying that this is the prudent course; I was just explaining why so many Jackets fans seem ambivalent about keeping Bob. ;)

ER89

Jul 25, 2018
This is a cute theory, but it falls down in practice because we're already overloaded on offensive depth; we need stars. The good news is that there is indeed likely to be a star forward on the free agency market next year; the bad news is that it's Panarin.

Even still, offering a goalie a 6-8 year contract when said goalie is 31 is brutal. Seguin might be available, hell skinner as well.

ER89

Jul 25, 2018
I

The Jackets can't even sign their own star forwards, so where the heck are they going to get offense from? UFA?

And the value is off anyways. Let's assume they suddenly become an attractive destination for some reason. JVR just signed for 5 years at $7m. Do you think he provides the equivalent of 30 goals above a replacement player each year? Because that's what Bob does. Can a Tavares level forward even match that?
I wouldn’t want to pay bob 7-8 mill in years 34+. If you do then that's cool but i'd rather take it and put it into offense.

TwoPiece

Jul 24, 2018
How do you qualify the 15 elite years? He was one of the best for 15 years, yes. Were all these years elite, no. Otherwise, you'd be arguing that .906% with a 2.32 GAA is elite. Which wasn't (ranked 22nd and 13th that year)
I do agree that Bob would have to go on one hell of a dominating (and improbable) streak to have a better career than Brodeur.
It's well-known that the Devils of the Brodeur era had great defenses that eliminated SOGs (Stevens/Niedermayer/Rafalski/Daneyko). He was still elite in those years with < 91 SV%. 2.32 GAA is pretty good (less than 200 goals against over a full 82 games)...

Maylo

It never happened.
May 20, 2017
Oh yeah i heard that on the day we drafted Dubois. "Trade Bob asap, Korpisalo and Forsberg are too good and will take over him easily. " In what universe 3.32 GA and .897sv% is good enough to be a starter? There is hope for Elvis, but until he plays at least one game in NA it's still just it - Hope.

ER89

Jul 25, 2018
Fair enough if you jackets fans want Bob re-signed long term. I think it is silly but we shall find out soon.

RogerRoger

Jul 23, 2013
It's well-known that the Devils of the Brodeur era had great defenses that eliminated SOGs (Stevens/Niedermayer/Rafalski/Daneyko). He was still elite in those years with < 91 SV%. 2.32 GAA is pretty good (less than 200 goals against over a full 82 games)...
Yeah, it's good, but not elite. During his elite years, he had elite numbers behind that elite defense.
If you can't make the difference between his 96 season and his 00 season...

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
You're still doing the absurd hindsight thing. When Bob was extended, Panarin wasn't even in the NHL yet, Saad was still looking like he was staying in Chicago, and thanks to a career year it looked like our offense's future was firmly in the hands of Ryan Johansen. That's not a lack of vision you're complaining about; it's a lack of supernatural psychic prophecy.
Panarin and Bobrovski contractual status has been known for years.

Allowing both of these players to be in this situation is piss poor management. It hardly took a psychic to see when the contracts were due:laugh: .

Jarmo and JD just aren't very good with contracts on top talent. Johansen's situation and now this.

John Davidson is a PR shill and nothing more. In 12 years as team president, his teams have won a whopping one series in the playoffs. This type of crap performance can only fly in a town like Columbus where bureaucracy and mediocrity are a way of life.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad