Value of: Sergi Bobvrosky next contract.

TwoPiece

Jul 24, 2018
Yeah I honestly was thinking like 2004 after and didnt realize just how long ago 25yrs was. I should have said post lockout.

I think Hasek is the greatest ever in the history of the game to be clear. Roy is my #2. Marty currently is 3 BUT I think Bob could pass him if he gets another vez and keeps playing like ye has the past 5 year for another 5.
Your math is blowing my mind.

That wasn't even 15 years ago.

In addition to that, you think that a total of 10 (5+5) years of Bobrovsky playing great can usurp Brodeur as #3..? You know that Marty was 9 Wins away from 700 for his career, yes..? I feel like this should be common knowledge...

Harvey Birdman

…Need some law books, with pictures this time…
Oct 21, 2008
Penguins Legal Office
Pending how things turn out with our 3 prospects, I'd sign Bob to an 8 year contract since that's what it will take to snag him, give him $11 mil for the first 4 years and then down to like 6,5,4,4. $7.85 cap hit, even that is still too high IMO for a goalie but if Bob has another strong year I think he is worth it.

Not sure if Bob gets $80 mil/8 year contract even UFA from any team.
First things first, free agency can't go 8 years. The 8th year is for the team a player is currently on to be signed before said player becomes a free agent. Once a player becomes a free agent they can only be signed for 7 years. And two, Bobrovsky is going to take a contract that give him less than a 400K raise on what he currently gets paid that he signed for back in 15'? No way you are getting him that cheap. It just will not happen.

mikeyp24

Jun 28, 2014
Your math is blowing my mind.

That wasn't even 15 years ago.

In addition to that, you think that a total of 10 (5+5) years of Bobrovsky playing great can usurp Brodeur as #3..? You know that Marty was 9 Wins away from 700 for his career, yes..? I feel like this should be common knowledge...
When did I say only 10 years of good play? Yes when I said 25yrs I was off and admitted that instantly because I was thinking its 2018 so whats a couple years BUT I was off... easy mistake and I corrected I dont think it was as.world ending.as.you apparently think it is. But Bob has been since coming to the.CBJ an unstoppable force when healthy. He has had a few rough patches when he has had hammy probs but he has figured out part of that issue was his training he was going strength instead of flexibility and since then he has.been good.

lifelonghockeyfan

Dec 18, 2015
Lake Huron
Keep dreaming that the tax difference between cities in both the US and Canada have no factor. So Kucherov, Hedman, Stamkos decide to sign for less than $10M AAV but Tavares takes a pay cut to go to Toronto at $11M. Taxes have nothing to do with it eh. Sure

Kucherov, Hedman, Stamkos are nice guys leaving money on the table eh. That Nylander kid is greedy!

Why never hear of NBA or MLB complaining about taxes in Canada or wanting to paid a premium. It seem to be only the expects on tax law on HFBoards that constantly mention the difference in the NHL. So, while I may be dreaming, you're foolishly looking at personal rates and taking that as accurately "take home pay". Just to let you know everything you read on Internet may not be true.

Reactions: mikeyp24

mikeyp24

Jun 28, 2014
Why never hear of NBA or MLB complaining about taxes in Canada or wanting to paid a premium. It seem to be only the expects on tax law on HFBoards that constantly mention the difference in the NHL. So, while I may be dreaming, you're foolishly looking at personal rates and taking that as accurately "take home pay". Just to let you know everything you read on Internet may not be true.
People like to leave out that while taxes migbt be slightly higher their exposure compared to say Carolina os also higher. Big city teams players tend to get those bug city endorsements. Those players because they are in a bigget market get shown on TV more often so more people recognize the name. How much is name recognition worth? Because thaf leads to merch sales like Jerseys with your name on it.

TheKingPin

Nov 16, 2005
Philadelphia, PA
I highly doubt Bob would want to be a goalie in Philly again
Why? It’s supposed to be one of the best organizations. With bob we could be a cup contender. He’d make a lot of money. Who knows what the goalie market is. Seems like a lot of teams have their guy. There is always an opening for a guy like bob but it’s not like it would JT 2.0.

mikeyp24

Jun 28, 2014
I honestly dont see Bob wanting to move. Only case he moves is if he is REALLY intemt on making x amount or getting x years and the cbj have different plans. Bob has had issues with the way the media has covered him in the playoffs nd being woth say a Philly or big market team that will be even more intensified. He has charities through the city and seems to love the org and fans here. Honestly I dontnsee him leaving unless he is completely stuck on like 88mil over 8.

Maylo

It never happened.
May 20, 2017
And two, Bobrovsky is going to take a contract that give him less than a 400K raise on what he currently gets paid that he signed for back in 15'? No way you are getting him that cheap. It just will not happen.
Not to argue that he will take only 400K raise, but just for information, Bob deal was frontloaded, he's "only" making $6,2M this year, no signing bonuses and everything. They thought he will fell apart at 30.

TwoPiece

Jul 24, 2018
When did I say only 10 years of good play? Yes when I said 25yrs I was off and admitted that instantly because I was thinking its 2018 so whats a couple years BUT I was off... easy mistake and I corrected I dont think it was as.world ending.as.you apparently think it is. But Bob has been since coming to the.CBJ an unstoppable force when healthy. He has had a few rough patches when he has had hammy probs but he has figured out part of that issue was his training he was going strength instead of flexibility and since then he has.been good.
I literally quoted you:

"Marty currently is 3 BUT I think Bob could pass him if he gets another vez and keeps playing like ye has the past 5 year for another 5."

I also showed my math: 5+5 = 10

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast

Go ahead... outright deny it is an issue. I believe it is and the tax difference between different cities is not just something new or only talked about on HF boards. The discussion has been around for a while now. The NBA or MLB have one Canadian team so it's a bit different with how much talk surrounding it. The other thing you should pay attention to is there is not much difference between Canadian cities vs NY or California. It's not just a US vs Canada thing. In fact, there are only a few cities that have this benefit. If a player was thinking about signing between Toronto/Montreal vs NY or Boston, the difference is so small it's an non issue in many cases.

Lots of factors that go into it, taxes is just one factor of many. It matters to some players and not so much with others.

mikeyp24

Jun 28, 2014
I literally quoted you:

"Marty currently is 3 BUT I think Bob could pass him if he gets another vez and keeps playing like ye has the past 5 year for another 5."

I also showed my math: 5+5 = 10
Yes... but he played before those last 5 and will play after those 5. Im saying if he has as good of a next five as the recent 5 then thats a fantastic prime. Theb factor in what he does outside those 10 yrs and I think he is a shoe in for top 5. Him Marty and 1 other can then be inspected closer.

RogerRoger

Jul 23, 2013
He should sign for about what Price got.
Unless he's set and doesn't mind a discount, but fans can't count on that being a realistic option.

TwoPiece

Jul 24, 2018
Yes... but he played before those last 5 and will play after those 5. Im saying if he has as good of a next five as the recent 5 then thats a fantastic prime. Theb factor in what he does outside those 10 yrs and I think he is a shoe in for top 5. Him Marty and 1 other can then be inspected closer.
Considering that Brodeur was an elite goalie for 15 years, it will take more than "a fantastic prime" to usurp the guy with 691 NHL Wins and > 100 Shutouts (and 3 Stanley Cups).

Reactions: Riptide

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
Jarmo Kekalainen simply blew it when he only gave Bob a 4 year deal. He bridged him prior to that. I guess long term deals for the CBJ are limited to the Dubinskys of the world.

The CBJ are looking like a lottery team after Panarin and Bob say good bye. Good work front office!

Crede777

Deputized
Dec 16, 2009
Jarmo Kekalainen simply blew it when he only gave Bob a 4 year deal. He bridged him prior to that. I guess long term deals for the CBJ are limited to the Dubinskys of the world.

The CBJ are looking like a lottery team after Panarin and Bob say good bye. Good work front office!
They’re completely built around the defense which will likely keep them out of a lottery position.

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
They’re completely built around the defense which will likely keep them out of a lottery position.
We'll probably see how good that defense is when an average goalie is behind them. That day of reckoning is probably coming 2 years (minimum) earlier than it had to.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)

major major

Feb 18, 2013

That defense is a run and gun defense. "Safe is death" and all. An average goalie won't be able to handle it. I could still see them making the playoffs but they won't be as competitive as I was expecting with Bob.

Brockon

Cautiously optimistic realist when caffeinated.
Aug 20, 2017
Northern Canada
Pending how things turn out with our 3 prospects, I'd sign Bob to an 8 year contract since that's what it will take to snag him, give him $11 mil for the first 4 years and then down to like 6,5,4,4. $7.85 cap hit, even that is still too high IMO for a goalie but if Bob has another strong year I think he is worth it.

Not sure if Bob gets $80 mil/8 year contract even UFA from any team.

You do realize that the cap hit is the average of the contract over the full term, right?

You can vary the salary from year to year but the cap hit will always be the same over the course of the contract.

Your proposed 63 million 8 year deal would carry a 7.875 mil AAV (cap hit).

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
This would of course explain why you objected to the contract length at the time it was announced, right?

I objected to the initial bridge, but I guess I did say that 4 years was OK in that one quote. I may have had some other posts on the subject at the time, but I'm not going to bother looking them up.

In any case, Jarmo has placed himself in a position where he is going to lose both of his most valuable players for nothing or very little. That takes a stunning lack of vision. The CBJ stand a decent chance of returning to the glory days of the Howson years.

Keep beating the CBJ management can do no wrong drum.

Last edited:

mikeyp24

Jun 28, 2014
Considering that Brodeur was an elite goalie for 15 years, it will take more than "a fantastic prime" to usurp the guy with 691 NHL Wins and > 100 Shutouts (and 3 Stanley Cups).
we will see after his next 5 if his 15 can compare to Marty.

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017
I objected to the initial bridge, but I guess I did say that 4 years was OK in that one quote. I may have had some other posts on the subject at the time, but I'm not going to bother looking them up.

In any case, Jarmo has placed himself in a position where he is going to lose both of his most valuable players for nothing or very little. That takes a stunning lack of vision. The CBJ stand a decent chance of returning to the glory days of the Howson years.

Keep beating the CBJ management can do no wrong drum.

Seems like more a case of ........;)

tenor.gif

Reactions: Viqsi

GoldenSeal

Believe In The Note
Dec 1, 2013
Out West
The dollar amount everyone's quoting is fine imo but what about term? You don't want to make the same mistake Montreal did and sign your elite netminder to an 8 year deal for south of 11m a year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad