Friedman: Sergei Bobrovsky and Artemi Panarin to Panthers

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
Florida has some great pieces in place and as a hawks fan I'm glad to see coach Q reunited with tallon.

The word here in chicago is you could see Seabrook waiving his NMC this summer and excepting a trade to florida. Coach Q and Seabrook both like each other and it would make sense for Florida to bring in a 3 time cup winner who would be a true leader that would help the team.

I think out of the 2 panarin would be the player who gets the bigger contract, Bob is old and from a purely salary structure he might get a 3 to 4 year deal top maybe only a 2 year.

The question is would signing either panarin or Bob or both be the final pieces needed to contend and win it?

Tallon and Q back for round two.

Oof....feel FLA would be after Keith over Seabrook and yes I know it's more unlikely you move Keith but most Hawks will be linked now since the Q hiring.

Seabrook may still be a serviceable defenseman but that contract is ugly.
Really prefer to stay away from him if possible. Just dont see us clearing all that room to add an anchor like that.

I agree Panarin will get the bigger deal as he should. I wouldn't budge off $9 million max for him though, he's the luxury piece. We could definitely use him but it's not dire to sign him as its easiest to find winger/offensive talent than quality defensemen and goaltenders imo.

Sounds like Tallon may trade for the rights to both Bob and Panarin soon as he legally can and looking at a D in the $4-5 million range which excludes Seabrook :crossfing

Stanley Cup isnt won on paper but itd give us our best shot in the last two decades. CBJ went all in for one year where we would do it and have 4-5 bullets in the clip. The Atlantic looks to be the best divison going forward but the majority of our fans are on board to push all in.

Pavlikovsky

May 31, 2013
Gatineau, QC
If they need to shed cap bad and Luongo doesn't get a mysterious LTIR injury would Florida do this ?

To Ottawa
Luongo
2020 2nd

To Florida
Mike Condon
2020 6th

Taylorst

Jun 26, 2018
Tallon and Q back for round two.

Oof....feel FLA would be after Keith over Seabrook and yes I know it's more unlikely you move Keith but most Hawks will be linked now since the Q hiring.

Seabrook may still be a serviceable defenseman but that contract is ugly.
Really prefer to stay away from him if possible. Just dont see us clearing all that room to add an anchor like that.

I agree Panarin will get the bigger deal as he should. I wouldn't budge off $9 million max for him though, he's the luxury piece. We could definitely use him but it's not dire to sign him as its easiest to find winger/offensive talent than quality defensemen and goaltenders imo.

Sounds like Tallon may trade for the rights to both Bob and Panarin soon as he legally can and looking at a D in the $4-5 million range which excludes Seabrook :crossfing

Stanley Cup isnt won on paper but itd give us our best shot in the last two decades. CBJ went all in for one year where we would do it and have 4-5 bullets in the clip. The Atlantic looks to be the best divison going forward but the majority of our fans are on board to push all in.

There are other free agents this summer whom are younger and almost as productive as panarin, Skinner comes to mind and cheaper.

You could see a deal with Chicago and Florida with Stan possibly eating some salary or taking on a couple of players whom he might feel as rehabilitation guys.

Coach Q is a world class coach and his time was up , but not for trying but merely he wasn't supported by Stan who quite frankly is a moron.

Maybe yandle gets moved .

Florida has a ton of draft picks so you could see offer sheets on some of those young RFA this summer who are younger and skilled.

Beezeral

Mar 1, 2010
There are other free agents this summer whom are younger and almost as productive as panarin, Skinner comes to mind and cheaper.
this is laughable. Skinner is a good player and a good plan B option, but he is nowhere near the same caliber of player as Panarin

You could see a deal with Chicago and Florida with Stan possibly eating some salary or taking on a couple of players whom he might feel as rehabilitation guys.
Even a 50% retention puts him at 3.4 million for 5 more seasons. That's brutal for a 33 year old defenseman on a steep decline. Sure GM's make dumb decisions all the time, but its going to take some real maneuvering to shed that seabrook contract and it will almost certainly not be the Panthers.
Maybe yandle gets moved .
He get's mentioned as part of the core every time Tallon speaks.
Florida has a ton of draft picks so you could see offer sheets on some of those young RFA this summer who are younger and skilled.
Might be the only half decent point in your post but still unlikely because nobody ever offers RFAs

Torontoborn

Jan 9, 2019
If Panarin wanted the glory; why go to New York? The Rangers are an afterthought to the Knicks and the Jets/Giants. If you want true glory in the NHL, you go to Montreal -- that is the hockey mecca of the world.

They could pay him more than any other team too. He would have ended up here if Markov and Rads were here still; I think that the Russian bridge has been burned to the ground, though.

Point is, he is going where best fits his agenda. If his agenda is fame and fortune, the Rangers make less sense than other organizations. If his hope is a cup, Florida doesn't make much sense. Familiarity? Chicago and Florida become the best options.

He's not staying in Columbus though; that's about the only thing I do know.

LOL that's funny. I am sure Panarin wants to win so going to Montreal is a dumb move and it's not the hockey mecca. of the world.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
If Tallon can push hard for 6yrs and load it up with signing bonuses (which are taxed at 15%), I dont think $8 to 8.5 million is unreasonable. Would be comparable to $10.5 million Carey Price got no?

If Lu does not come back (LTIR) then our backup would be 900k for the next 2 years and were spending nearly $10million on Lu and Reimer right now. Shore up the D a bit with a trade for a vet and bring in Panarin and chaser the cup for 4-5yrs. It's time for FLA to push all in, been a long wait for us fans (1996)
Lu cost $4.5 and Reimer cost $3.4. Totals $8 mill. Really rounding up to get to $10 mill.

Henrik is at $8.5 and Price is $10.5. Likely lands somewhere in the middle in the $9 or so range.

Taylorst

Jun 26, 2018
this is laughable. Skinner is a good player and a good plan B option, but he is nowhere near the same caliber of player as Panarin

Even a 50% retention puts him at 3.4 million for 5 more seasons. That's brutal for a 33 year old defenseman on a steep decline. Sure GM's make dumb decisions all the time, but its going to take some real maneuvering to shed that seabrook contract and it will almost certainly not be the Panthers.

He get's mentioned as part of the core every time Tallon speaks.

Might be the only half decent point in your post but still unlikely because nobody ever offers RFAs

Having watched the Blackhawk go from being bottom feeders to 5 conference finals , 3 Stanley cup championships all because tallon and coach Q buildt Chicago's foundation and coached them.

You seem to forget that Chicago's first run at the cup they had Campbell and Brent sopel both of whom where elder statesman .

Seabrook has history with tallon and coach Q and a change of scenery would do him wonders along with you can't discount how important having played for coach Q and won 3 cups his knowledge , leadership and skill helps a young inexperienced team on the backend but overall .

Nobody is discounting panarin , but regular season stats mean nothing if you can't produce in the playoffs or bring the mindset needed when each game and series is so important and the cost of overpaying a guy by 2 to 4 million for maybe 15 to 20 more points tops?
He will be 29 years old players due start to regress in their early 30's .

If he was a solid 2 way player like hossa or stone then maybe you consider the huge contract for that other skill he brings that in his twilight years becomes his main skill when his production of scoring goals drops.

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
Lu cost $4.5 and Reimer cost $3.4. Totals $8 mill. Really rounding up to get to $10 mill.

Henrik is at $8.5 and Price is $10.5. Likely lands somewhere in the middle in the $9 or so range.

I'm fine paying $10 million ($1.5 million extra and 1/8 of the salary cap) for two good goaltending options. Would you not do the same? Lu would only be here for one more year if he's back.
Theres enough 30+ year old goalies who still perform in the top 10 and take their teams to the 2nd or 3rd rounds.

Feel 6yrs x $8.5 million gets it done for Bob

Been quoting a lot of my posts lately...you're slowly becoming a FLA fan I guess.

Taylorst

Jun 26, 2018

Henrik and price IMO are overpriced and overrated. Both goalies get so much hype but neither has won a cup .

Corey Crawford has 2 Stanley cups and doesn't get the same attention or considration and yet he makes 6 million.

Regular season wins are great but some goalies when it comes to the playoffs just can't compete to the level needed to carry teams or get goalie wins when it counts the most.

You don't have to overpay a aging goalie and think he is the key to winning a cup.

I'll take Crawford any day over those guys, he is proven when it counts.

Beezeral

Mar 1, 2010
You seem to forget that Chicago's first run at the cup they had Campbell and Brent sopel both of whom where elder statesman . Seabrook has history with tallon and coach Q and a change of scenery would do him wonders along with you can't discount how important having played for coach Q and won 3 cups his knowledge , leadership and skill helps a young inexperienced team on the backend but overall .
You keep forgetting that Brent Seabrook is nowhere near the caliber of player either of them were. Brian Campbell was putting up All Star caliber numbers up until his last season with the Panthers. Seabrook is a borderline #6 D-man at this point in his career and has 5 years left on his deal. It's the worst contract in the NHL.

Nobody is discounting panarin , but regular season stats mean nothing if you can't produce in the playoffs or bring the mindset needed when each game and series is so important and the cost of overpaying a guy by 2 to 4 million for maybe 15 to 20 more points tops?
So much meh. Every player is a playoff choker until they finally win a cup and aren't a choker anymore. It's a dumb narrative. and yeah, 2-4 million more for a guy who has been an 80+ point player for a few years now compared to a guy who is a career 50-60 point player.
He will be 29 years old players due start to regress in their early 30's .
Panarin is 27, turning 28 on oct 30th. Assuming a 7 year deal, any team that signs him will get his 28-35 years. The last couple years could hurt a bit, but the first 3-4 should be elite. BTW Skinner turns 27 in early May. There is about an 18 month age gap between them.
If he was a solid 2 way player like hossa or stone then maybe you consider the huge contract for that other skill he brings that in his twilight years becomes his main skill when his production of scoring goals drops.
Stone is an elite defensive winger and an excellent offensive player. Panarin is an elite offensive player and a very good defensive player. You can't go wrong with either player.

Reactions: I am not exposed

Taylorst

Jun 26, 2018
You keep forgetting that Brent Seabrook is nowhere near the caliber of player either of them were. Brian Campbell was putting up All Star caliber numbers up until his last season with the Panthers. Seabrook is a borderline #6 D-man at this point in his career and has 5 years left on his deal. It's the worst contract in the NHL.

So much meh. Every player is a playoff choker until they finally win a cup and aren't a choker anymore. It's a dumb narrative. and yeah, 2-4 million more for a guy who has been an 80+ point player for a few years now compared to a guy who is a career 50-60 point player.

Panarin is 27, turning 28 on oct 30th. Assuming a 7 year deal, any team that signs him will get his 28-35 years. The last couple years could hurt a bit, but the first 3-4 should be elite. BTW Skinner turns 27 in early May. There is about an 18 month age gap between them.

Stone is an elite defensive winger and an excellent offensive player. Panarin is an elite offensive player and a very good defensive player. You can't go wrong with either player.

PANARIN is not a good defensive player, his offensive skill is great, but defensively he lags.

If you think panarin is the final piece then go for it. The entire point of this conversation is 2 fold 1 having experience is always a plus for a young team trying to win a cup.

2 if you make a huge investment into 1 player , and you don't get The long term results you wished , you blow your future cap space and prospects just trying to stay cap compliant.

Maybe you bring in instead 1 offensively skilled player of a lesser caliber and a solid defensive player for the price of 1 guy.

Nov 13, 2006
Ohio
If Tallon can push hard for 6yrs and load it up with signing bonuses (which are taxed at 15%), I dont think $8 to 8.5 million is unreasonable. Would be comparable to $10.5 million Carey Price got no?

If Lu does not come back (LTIR) then our backup would be 900k for the next 2 years and were spending nearly $10million on Lu and Reimer right now. Shore up the D a bit with a trade for a vet and bring in Panarin and chaser the cup for 4-5yrs. It's time for FLA to push all in, been a long wait for us fans (1996)
I doubt they can sign either for 8-8.5 million. I think Panarin is looking for $11-12 million and Bob is looking for 10-11 million.

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
I doubt they can sign either for 8-8.5 million. I think Panarin is looking for $11-12 million and Bob is looking for 10-11 million.

Panarin is a winger though. What other wingers have got that type of deal? He's a great player but just find it hard to believe that's his number in FLA if he wants to be on a contender going forward.

As for Bob, nobody is going to pay him that. The Price deal is an anomaly and I know Bob has two Vezinas but you aim for the Sun and land on the moon more or less.

Panarin - 7 x $9 million
Bob - 6yrs x $8.5 million is fair if you incentivize them with signing bonuses.

If they want more then only one of them will be signed imo.

Taylorst

Jun 26, 2018
that is absolutely an option, but that solid defensive player is NOT Seabrook.

I wasn't referring to Seabrook in that option , bring Seabrook in would be something of a different path.

What I was referencing in the first option was the available cap money Florida has instead of blowing 9 or 12 million on panarin and screwing up your cap space in the future and personnel .

You spend maybe 9 or 12 million but on 2 or 3 players which gives the team more balance and depth.

You have to as a true contender have 4 solid lines to roll out each and every night 4 solid centerman,

1 highly skilled guy is great for fan base excitement but in reality it's a team effort each and every night to win.

Look at Vegas Las year they had 4 lines to roll out and they didn't have guys with name recognition.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad