Friedman: Sergei Bobrovsky and Artemi Panarin to Panthers

Taylorst

Jun 26, 2018
I could see that happening more so now.

Chicago won't target him , because of his age and price.

Stan is looking for a young top 6 player

Murzu

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 23, 2013
Finland
tenor.gif

BurgoShark

Jul 1, 2004
Gold Coast
One of those guys changed his agent recently so that they now have the same rep. It’s been speculated for a while that this was so the agent could negotiate a package deal.

There has been speculation for months that Florida will clear some cap space (their goalies, maybe Hoffman, maybe others) to sign both guys. Keith Yandle has also said a few times in interviews that he thinks Florida will try hard to sign both.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
Anyone giving Bobrovsky a big fat contract is shooting themselves in the foot

For sure his contract will carry a massive risk, but Florida needs a legit starter, they've given themselves a shot at building something and need to build something so they can't go with maybes at net.

But I'll guess I'll ask this here as well, why do so many Rangers fans feel they are the favourites for Panarin over the Panthers?
There's been lot of rumours around Panthers and they have Barkov- Dadonov- Q to sell Panarin with.

Last edited:
Reactions: third man in

Taylorst

Jun 26, 2018
In my opinion , if both of those players truly want to play in Florida they will have to take a discounted salary . Bob isn't a proven Stanley cup winner and his age is a factor, panarin will be 28 yrs old great regular season numbers , but come playoff time he goes MIA . Florida is at least 2 years away from being a contender.

The salary cap will be the albatross or the elephant in the room.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
In my opinion , if both of those players truly want to play in Florida they will have to take a discounted salary . Bob isn't a proven Stanley cup winner and his age is a factor, panarin will be 28 yrs old great regular season numbers , but come playoff time he goes MIA . Florida is at least 2 years away from being a contender.

With these guys Florida is a top 3/4 away from being a true contender.

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
Anyone giving Bobrovsky a big fat contract is shooting themselves in the foot

If Tallon can push hard for 6yrs and load it up with signing bonuses (which are taxed at 15%), I dont think $8 to 8.5 million is unreasonable. Would be comparable to $10.5 million Carey Price got no?

If Lu does not come back (LTIR) then our backup would be 900k for the next 2 years and were spending nearly $10million on Lu and Reimer right now. Shore up the D a bit with a trade for a vet and bring in Panarin and chaser the cup for 4-5yrs. It's time for FLA to push all in, been a long wait for us fans (1996)

Reactions: Beach Reptile

Taylorst

Jun 26, 2018
If Tallon can push hard for 6yrs and load it up with signing bonuses (which are taxed at 15%), I dont think $8 to 8.5 million is unreasonable. Would be comparable to $10.5 million Carey Price got no?

If Lu does not come back (LTIR) then our backup would be 900k for the next 2 years and were spending nearly $10million on Lu and Reimer right now. Shore up the D a bit with a trade for a vet and bring in Panarin and chaser the cup for 4-5yrs. It's time for FLA to push all in, been a long wait for us fans (1996)

In a picture perfect world those ideas you mentioned sound great, but in reality the elephant in the room is the cap maybe not this year but the following year it will catch up with them.

LTIR what people forget is you have to be cap compliant come game 1 of the regular season , then you can LTIR that player and take advantage of the full cap . Bonuses also go against your salary cap,

When panarin was in Chicago his base salary was peanuts, however he racked up in bonus each year over 2 million and the hawks where already in cap hell from the bonuses and salaries .

Florida I believe has some good things in place,the question is will they overspend and hurt themselves going forward.

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
would be deadly seeing these 2 in FLA but in 4ish years fans will despise the contract Bob will have... but hey if they can get a Cup, itll be well worth it.

You know both will want a lot of money for as long as possible on their next contract. Will most likely be their last contract to make a CRAPLOAD. These are the contracts that you definitely want to get as most as you can

Last edited:

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
In a picture perfect world those ideas you mentioned sound great, but in reality the elephant in the room is the cap maybe not this year but the following year it will catch up with them.

LTIR what people forget is you have to be cap compliant come game 1 of the regular season , then you can LTIR that player and take advantage of the full cap . Bonuses also go against your salary cap,

When panarin was in Chicago his base salary was peanuts, however he racked up in bonus each year over 2 million and the hawks where already in cap hell from the bonuses and salaries .

Florida I believe has some good things in place,the question is will they overspend and hurt themselves going forward.

Ya there will have to be some deft negotiations/accounting here but if both Bob and Panarin want to be on a contender that check off all the boxes for them (top line roles/big money in a tax friendly state/team on the rise/best coach in the league/young star players etc), they may take a slight paycut.

If they only add Bob and Panarin this year, they shouldn't have a problem but adding a top 4 D may be difficult unless they cut some other dead weight. Alot will depend on the Luongo situation.

We've seen recent free agents leave money on the table to be on a contender. The hiring of Q means were going all in the next 3-4 years, itll be interesting to see how it all plays out.

Gotta figure we land one of the two though.

Last edited:

Taylorst

Jun 26, 2018
Ya there will have to be some deft negotiations/accounting here but if both Bob and Panarin want to be on a contender that check off all the boxes for them (top line roles/big money in a tax friendly state/team on the rise/best coach in the league/young star players etc), they may take a slight paycut.

If they only add Bob and Panarin this year, they shouldn't have a problem but adding a top 4 D may be difficult unless they cut some other dead weight. Alot will depend on the Luongo situation.

We've seen recent free agents leave money on the table to be on a contender. The hiring of Q means were going all in the next 3-4 years, itll be interesting to see how it all plays out.

Gotta figure we land one of the two though.

Florida has some great pieces in place and as a hawks fan I'm glad to see coach Q reunited with tallon.

The word here in chicago is you could see Seabrook waiving his NMC this summer and excepting a trade to florida. Coach Q and Seabrook both like each other and it would make sense for Florida to bring in a 3 time cup winner who would be a true leader that would help the team.

I think out of the 2 panarin would be the player who gets the bigger contract, Bob is old and from a purely salary structure he might get a 3 to 4 year deal top maybe only a 2 year.

The question is would signing either panarin or Bob or both be the final pieces needed to contend and win it?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad