Friedman: Sergei Bobrovsky and Artemi Panarin to Panthers

ViD

#CBJNeedHugs
Sponsor
Apr 21, 2007
Blue Jackets Area
As a Sens fan, I really hope Duchene re-signs with the Jackets. I think there's a real possibility of it happening too.

As for Bob and Pan - I believe they are gone unless they win the cup. If that happens, Panarin will be their Kane, and Bob will be their Toews (overpaid).
If we win the cup, they will 100% leave to the sun and lower taxes as the cup contention won’t be a desire anymore

Aoko

Order has now fallen.
Dec 14, 2017
I still believe that both will leave. The price may go up significantly depending on how this continues, however
They're going to make some major bank, BUT if they do leave Columbus for Florida... man, the Panthers will be legit.

Reactions: Laus723

Beezeral

Mar 1, 2010
If we go deep, MAYBE that will spark something in them to continue contending
oh, so you were just trying to convince yourself that if they head to the Panthers, they won't contend for anything and they will only leave CBJ if they are tired of chasing a cup

Yea, a 1st line of Huberdeau-Barkov-Panarin won't be one of the best in the NHL.

ViD

#CBJNeedHugs
Sponsor
Apr 21, 2007
Blue Jackets Area
oh, so you were just trying to convince yourself that if they head to the Panthers, they won't contend for anything and they will only leave CBJ if they are tired of chasing a cup

Yea, a 1st line of Huberdeau-Barkov-Panarin won't be one of the best in the NHL.
I mean you have McJesus and Drai scoring in bunches but they are not contending for anything

Beezeral

Mar 1, 2010
Let’s face it: Your defense is pretty bad when it comes to actually defending. Beyond the top line/pairing Panthers are not very solid.
hence the plan in the offseason to improve forward depth, goaltending and bring in a top 4 defenseman. The Panthers were a team that underachieved at 86 points. Adding Panarin and Bob even with nothing else is a big step forward.

You are deluding yourself by saying that team isn't a contender even without any other changes.

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB
hence the plan in the offseason to improve forward depth, goaltending and bring in a top 4 defenseman. The Panthers were a team that underachieved at 86 points. Adding Panarin and Bob even with nothing else is a big step forward.

You are deluding yourself by saying that team isn't a contender even without any other changes.

Does Tippet make the jump next year? I fully agree the Panthers underachieved and think they will be better next year if they do nothing. However if they get a goalie, a D, and Tippett can step in they should be more than good.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
I mean you have McJesus and Drai scoring in bunches but they are not contending for anything
True, but that only becomes relevant if Panarin and Bob decide to head to Edmonton. Florida is in considerably better shape than that. They've got scoring depth comparable to our own, and there's some decent pieces on defense despite a hole or two. The biggest issue there is Luongo's ongoing struggles with Father Time.

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
Does Tippet make the jump next year? I fully agree the Panthers underachieved and think they will be better next year if they do nothing. However if they get a goalie, a D, and Tippett can step in they should be more than good.

Tippett has a shot in camp but one would assume he will be given 3rd line minutes if so. Itd be nice to get him some time to watch Hoffman do his thing because Tippett is pretty much a similar style of player.

Dont know if management view Borgstrom as experienced enough to have a rookie on his line, most FLA fans feel he will do what Borgstrom did last year, spend some time on AHL and if he can produce a PPG pace, he will get called up and get his shot. Otherwise a full year in AHL wont hurt him.

Beezeral

Mar 1, 2010
True, but that only becomes relevant if Panarin and Bob decide to head to Edmonton. Florida is in considerably better shape than that. They've got scoring depth comparable to our own, and there's some decent pieces on defense despite a hole or two. The biggest issue there is Luongo's ongoing struggles with Father Time.
Exactly. And the plan is to throw money at Bobrovsky to fix the goaltending issue. Which is why I was pushing back on @ViD for saying that the only reason both players would leave CBJ for FLA was to retire to the beach. It's objectively not true. The current Panthers roster with both players immediately becomes on paper one of the best in the NHL. If they can squeeze enough cap space to add a good top 4 d-man, they walk into 2019 as a true contender.

405Exit

Mar 15, 2018
Exactly. And the plan is to throw money at Bobrovsky to fix the goaltending issue. Which is why I was pushing back on @ViD for saying that the only reason both players would leave CBJ for FLA was to retire to the beach. It's objectively not true. The current Panthers roster with both players immediately becomes on paper one of the best in the NHL. If they can squeeze enough cap space to add a good top 4 d-man, they walk into 2019 as a true contender.

Columbus can throw money at Bobrovsky also. Let Panarin and Duchene walk. And lock up Bobrovsky on a fat contract. I don’t understand how Florida fans think they are the only ones who can lock him up long term.

We’re talking about a top 3 goaltender in the league who’s young and on the good side of 30.

It should be an open check for him at this point from the owners of CBJ. If Bobrovsky wants money? CBJ can make it happen also. If that’s his incentive on the next contract.

Beezeral

Mar 1, 2010
Columbus can throw money at Bobrovsky also.
Of course they can, but they haven't yet. Maybe that changes this offseason and they decide to offer him something that he takes, but even most CBJ fans don't think that is likely.

I don’t understand how Florida fans think they are the only ones who can lock him up long term.
We never said we were. But literally every talking head has the Panthers as the favorite to sign him so excuse us for being hopeful.

Reactions: Laus723

405Exit

Mar 15, 2018
Of course they can, but they haven't yet. Maybe that changes this offseason and they decide to offer him something that he takes, but even most CBJ fans don't think that is likely.

We never said we were. But literally every talking head has the Panthers as the favorite to sign him so excuse us for being hopeful.

I get both points you made. And hopeful is always good. But Owners and front office should have a change of heart. Columbus made franchise history with Bobrovsky playing extremely well. Lets not forget that regardless of what happens next in the playoffs.

19 years in the league. And first time ever advancing out of the first round. The owners and front office should sit down with Bobrovsky and see what they can do for a contract extension. They would be foolish not to. Losing Bobrovsky would put CBJ bottom of the barrel once again.

mikeyp24

Jun 28, 2014
The Panthers problem is not offense. The prime problem is defense where there exists a glaring need for a goalie and a shutdown defender. I expect that Bob is the first priority at about 8 million in light of Florida being a no tax state. After that, the focus needs to be defense. Bread is a luxury that we currently cannot afford unless Hoffman is traded to clear cap space. No matter what, Reimer will be gone hopefully in a cap clearing trade with Lou likely staying for a final year.

In an ideal world, the Panthers trade Reimer plus picks/ player/prospect for cap space, trade Hoffman and a D and land Bob, Bread and a D. Before the Q signing, I would have said no way. Now, it still seems unlikely, but not beyond the realm of possibility.
Hoffman and picks or prospects. We have Gavrikov coming in next year and Kukan and Peeke will be competing for spots.

He retires and your Canucks get a $4M recapture cap hit for 3 years.
Lu loves that city too much to f*** them and still wants to play as at least a backup. He either LTIRetires or gets moved.
I think personally Bob is overrated and over paid.

If you look back to teams that have won cups they all had inexperienced no name goalies.

It's a team game , solid defense, forwards who a defensively responsible, strong down the center, timely scoring.

Looking at Bob's age and the salary cap why blow your future cap space on a guy who father time is catching up.

If your going to sign Bob do it on a 2 year deal on a low salary.

Then go out and draft and build your goaltender.
He is 30 and will not sign any deal less then 7yrs. You have absolutely no idea about goaltending if you think he is overrated or overpaid. You NEVER want to pay 8+ mil for a goalie but you are going to have to pay the best that while the rest are 5-7yrs. Price is the guy you should be talking about. CBJ dont have the seasons we have had recently being successful without bob. The guy had 8 shutouts since February for christ sakes. The guy is the best goalie this millennium by far. Only active 2x vezina winner. Look at what he just did against having an amazing performance in an unprecedented situation keeping a team with 3 40g scorers on a 62w team and gave up 2 total goals to them the entire series. This was Bobs worst season in a while and he lead the league in shut outs setting a personal record doing so. The reason his first half was bad was because D injuries and his contract situation. Then the TDL had chemistry issues but it git figured out. Before that Bob has been the most consistent goalie in the league when healthy but he figured out why he was having groin issues 3 years back and fixed it. He was teaining in strength instead of flexibility. Bob isnt getting less then 10x7. Thats a fact.

I think they'll both probably come in around 8-9M AAV.

Just use the Tavares calculator that TSN created, assuming it's still valid:

https://www.tsn.ca/nhl/tavares-calculator

They take home more at 8AAV with Florida than they would at 11AAV with other teams.
Bob is going to get his 10.5 a year so idk what that is TB money maybe 9.5? But he wants to be paid the hughest goalie amount because he is the best in the league so he rightfully deserves that. As far as Panarin goes he has said its not about money but I cant see him going less then 9.5 to 10. So you guys going 9 should be ok. But Bob wante his money. If Florida offer only what he is making now he will probably stay here and make that because that's likely what we are offering.

Keep saying Panarin is 7yrs x $9 to 9.5 million, similar to Kucherov and Stone. Everyone keeps saying $10-12 million...

Bob I think is coming in around $8 to 8.5 million. Hopefully 6yrs max. 7yrs is fine if it gets the deal done but at a lower AAV.

They will obviously ask for the world but if they want to play for a contending team and have all their boxes checked off, they need take a slight paycut to play in FLA, Tallon and Q will sell them on the idea.
Bob wont sign less then 10.5. Thats why he isnt signed in Columbus already. He feels and has proof he is the best in the world and wants the money to show it. If its contending he would be signed here already at an 8yr deal at 8 like you are talking. Bob amd Bread have stated they arent a package deal. They are close firends but they want different things. Bob wasnt getting offered 10.5 here because playoffs have been a major failure. If he continues to excel the CBJ will likely be the team that is a true contender that can offer him the most. If FLA wants him they are going to have to pay.

Your right I never watched him play, alongside Kane for 2 years.

He is not a solid 2 way player. Not sure what planet your living on , but come back to reality .
jesus you are basing his game on the system and style he was asked to play with Kane in a pure offensive line... In Columbus you get benched or demoted if you do not play 2ways. To start of the year until the AS break he was leading the league in take aways. After the TDL until about 11 games left in the year he was kinda checked out mentally but do yourself a favor and watch him game 1 against whoever we play next. If we use our aggressive forecheck you will see the 2way guy we speak of. If we are playing the same way against that team we did TB you wont see that style but you will see the way the guy can clog a lane with his stick and make aure you cant pass for shit though.

@Viqsi , how do most CBJ fans value Savard vs Nutivaara? Savvy is more proven/experienced but less term while Vaara is younger and has a sweetheart deal. Who's better defensively?
Savy is the better Defensively especially shot blocking. If you can find Highlights from the past 10 regular season games and then all for playoff games you will see a stud 2/3D in Savy. His confidence is insane right now. Ive never seen someone crouch and the throw there legs out doing actually goalie style kick saves putting his body on the line to block shots while also activating on offense. His goal in game 1 Imo was the reason we came back that game. IMO this playoff is changing things. Before the sweep I say Savy is available only because Gavrikov is coming and Kukan has been great who was supposed to be our 7th but went back and forth with Harrington and he has shown he can at least be a 6th. Nuti is young and cost controlled which we need. Right now I'd say both are available though we'd like to keep both but if 1 is available its will cost something pretty comparable offensively maybe picks to replenish.

I still believe that both will leave. The price may go up significantly depending on how this continues, however
Panarin doesnt care about winning or his teammates he is going where ever it is his GF wants to live. The kid is a great player and teammate and seems like a great guy/friend but he is making money wherever and winning will happen wherever so NY and FLA are likely. Bob is... well thats going to depend. If we make it to the ECF or SC he might stay here. The problem was he wants 10.5 and has never won a series. If he can prove his playoff worth I have a feeling we offer 9 or 9.5 and if he says no tell him before he signs give us a chamce to match his offer. If its below 10 we do it for 8yrs, if someone gives him his money Ibwill saybwhat I always have he goes down as the franchises alltime best player at least for now and I will never root against him unless its against us even if he becomes a Pen.

They were going to get paid top dollar anyway. I don't see any significant change happening.
Bob might stay because we might raise the offer. He wanted 10.5 and we said we cant match that and likely offered 8.5 or 9 at 5yrs and he wont sign less then 7. But we for sure wouldnt match his 10.5 he wanted to start the year.

Bobrovsky isn't staying. The haven't made him a competitive offer.
They havent made him the 10.5 offer. The price and term may expand with his actual playoff performance. We have a lot of goaltending talent though so he still 85% leaves.

Would really like both players staying in Columbus. Columbus made team franchise history yesterday making the second round in the playoffs. The CBJ GM is finally getting the organization on the right track.

I would like to see what CBJ offers in the off season. I don’t see GM of CBJ letting Bob leave without giving a competitive offer.
Bob wants 10.5x8 he might do 10x8 for us as a hometown discount. With Elvis signing and coning over and Korpi signed with VV and Tarasov working their way up like Tex and Bremstrom are doing... Bob probably priced himself out and is now playing for his team and the fans giving his best for his last. Bob LOVES this team and its fans. Watch him after every win he skates around circling clapping showing respect for the fans. He runs a charity for kids that he brings a sick kid and some family to each of our home games. Basically as classy as they come and a real f***ing man wherever he goes is getting a true HOF stud.

They're not signing Bobrovsky considering their cap space
The cap is fine for us. 31mil and a Dubi buyout. Duchene is likely signing 8.5-9.5x8. Everyone else is getting slight raises Im not worried about it.

I could only see Panarin staying - Bob is too inconsistent year to year to pay top dollar for
Bob has only been inconsistent when he had injuries and it was due to training improperly. Since he stopped strength training and moved to flexibility. Since then he had a vezina season where he was also up for MVP and another top 5 goalie year. This year because contract and D issues he started slow but by dec/jan he was back on it and had 8 shutouts after feb to lead the league for most in the season. Hot end might earn him a nom. He is better then price. His best year was better then prices best. Been WAY more consistant and is the only goalie with 2 trophies whose active... I dont see inconsistency there.

Jarmo is gonna have a fun summer

UFA
Bob
Panarin
Duchene
Dzingel
McQuaid
Kinkaid

RFA
Werenski
Clendening
Hartnell

And a few more
Hartnell is retired? Clendening is a AHL callup on his best days, McQuid and Kinkaid are gone they were depth moves. Duchene and Dzingle are likely kept. Bob and Bread... I still think in my head both gone. In my heart if we win 1 more round at least these boys might have too much fun and shock the world to come back and see what we can do all together for a full seaaon.

31 million of cap space to get it all done. The odds of them keeping all three of Panarin Bobrovsky and Duchene are minuscule at best.
True but its no less possible then say the last team to make the playoffs that people said were stupid to make TDL moves because they would get destroyed and swept...that team with a goalie who never won a round and a team that never won a round... say that team some how managed to sweep idk the team with the most hockey wins in modern history in round ... there is just as much chance they are able to sign all 3

Good luck. Both Panarin and Duchene are probably getting 10M each.
We have 31mil plus a buyout plus guys like Savard who is a stud but we have at least 6 D that can at least play #3D... that means guys can be moved and we need picks and no real roster guys so high picks and prospects for a D to save a few mil... money isnt a problem.

swap that. Panarin is certainly leaving. Bob could be convinced to stay.
Both can be convinced but this is the more likely scenario.

Panarin and Bob were gone for a while. No chance to keep them. Duchene they might be able to sell to stay and Dzingel. Panarin and Bob eventually will be why CBJ loses.
Yes the best goalie in hockey and a top 5 Lw will cost us. Certainly not another great team and our team being out played. Duchene and Dzingle if we offer will stay you can see how much they love it here. We would have to severely underbid on either. I could see Dzingle leaving for more money though it depends on if he wants to stay here which he has always called his 2nd home from his college days but Duchene will be here. The 2 big guys im 85% leave.

All 30M of our cap space? Lol

Bob's not gonna re-sign, the writing's been on the wall since training camp started. But we're all enjoying this ride off into the sunset with him. Hopefully it ends with a Cup :)
Bob MIGHT I say this only because its always been about what our offer was. That offer is likely to rise at least some. Elvis Tarasov and VV really make him leaving palatable though Ill say that. But Bob mentoring Tarasov I know makes him a Vezina winner one day I really am behind that kid.

Reckless is the world I hear often used about him.
ive never heard that about bob. I call him Bob Softski sometimes because he will make the most incredible saves for 3 periods and let the slowest puck on eart just roll 5 hole like a god damned tumble weed. But not reckless at all.

It's obvious what's happening. Panarin fires his agent, hires Bob's. Chicago suddenly hires Q. Q nicknamed Panarin Breadman. Neither guy signed with CBJ.
His agent kept running his mouth and bringing his contract up mid season when Bread kept saying he didnt want to talk contract with Columbus or other teams after the first day of training so he fired him because it was causing issues and he trusts Bob and knows Bobs agent has done amazing for Bob look at what he has been making. That was 100% the negotiations that got him that money not a shitty GM and tlhe ended up being worth it thankfully.

The GM of CBJ isn’t going to let a top 3 goaltender in the league in Bobrovsky walk. Whether that sacrifices Duchene or Panarin so be it. Bob was easy MVP in that series by far.

CBJ needs that boy signed, so quick like Gibson was when Anaheim signed the dotted line on the contract extension. No ifs, ands, or buts
Hes notbtop 3 he is 1. No goalie has been more consistent then him or at a higher level then him since his 1st vezina season. Price had 1 season that was great but Bobs best was even better and not earned in what was the weakest division in hockey the Atlantic at the time

No way those two arent a packaged deal. When asked if switching agents was to do with wanted to play with Bob, Panarin played it off.
Bread said flat out Bob is his best friend but he doesnt have to be on the same team to be friends with a guy and that they both have different things they are looking for but definitely would love to still play with him. Case and point Patty Kane. They are still close and he isnt going back to CHI to play with him and they were amazing together.

Panarin Duchene and Atkinson would be arguably better. And I think their point was the presure is off so if a team isnt exactly a contender next year ala the NYR then maybe Bread is more open to going there having just won the cup now he can go to the team/city he wants and try to win there and if he never wins again at least he did it once and then played his career out trying to do it again where he wanted to be. It wasnt an insult

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad