Friedman: Sergei Bobrovsky and Artemi Panarin to Panthers

Rorschach

Who the f*** is Trevor Moore?
Oct 9, 2006
Los Angeles
I would put Panarin on a line with Dadonov, and either Borgstrom or Trocheck. Panarin would get his time with Barkov on the PP, but him with Barkov and Huberdeau would have all our best playmakers on one line. And I can’t see them splitting up Barkov and Huberdeau. Those two were born to play on the same line. So if he were to sign there, whatever line he’d be on, it would be with a 30 goal scorer and a talented center.

Lots of good options...maybe your idea would be good for 5v5, but maybe you want all the playmakers on one line in OT or trailing by 1g late in the 3rd period. But with a dynamic player like that, you have all of those options.

harv33173

Oct 5, 2003
Hoffman yes, Huberdeau would be extremely unlikely unless there is a similar aged top pairing D-man coming back.
hoffman is a keeper, no way i trade him. leading scorer, great assist man, great in locker room and inexpensive. we add to hoffman and all our core forwards. we'll get the d'man we want through trade, or free agency!!!!!

Deen

Feb 19, 2010
hoffman is a keeper, no way i trade him. leading scorer, great assist man, great in locker room and inexpensive. we add to hoffman and all our core forwards. we'll get the d'man we want through trade, or free agency!!!!!

Why the heck would they trade Hoffman? Dude is nothing fancy, but he's consistent.

Nov 13, 2006
Ohio
Could both players be staying in Columbus after the first round that the team just had? Looks like Bob's stock just went up, I really hope both layers stay. Columbus deserves it!
I doubt it. Even the teams beat writers have written they are moving on.
Columbus Dispatch

The all-but-stated desire of stars Artemi Panarin and Sergei Bobrovsky to leave the Blue Jackets for unrestricted free agency this summer. (Broward County Bob and Sunrise Bread?)

Beyond that, as great a goalie as Bobrovsky is, he will be 31 before next season and I understand he wants a 7-8 year contract at $ 10.5- 11 million per season. Columbus just isn't going to offer that but someone might. Columbus has a full goaltender pipeline and they need to find out if one of them can step up and become their #1 next season.

On top of that, Bob was supposedly very upset after last season when the Blue Jackets management suggested he see a sports psychologist to overcome his playoff mental block.

Last edited:
Nov 13, 2006
Ohio
Because if they still want a defenseman after signing panarin and Bobrovsky, money will have to go out.

I could see those two contracts eating ~ $20-22 million per season.
Bob $10.5 million
Panarin $11 million

I think someone will pay each of them and if the Panthers want them they are going to have to compete.

Reactions: mikeyp24

Deen

Feb 19, 2010
This is nowhere near correct.

I personally like Florida's team. If they kept it the same and let the players mature they are a real Cup contender. Barkov is a top 5 players in the league. I am sure Bob would help, not sure if Panarin is worth the squeeze for you guys.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site

While the rest is certainly true the bolded is not.

mikeyp24

Jun 28, 2014
Hoffman is pretty close to Panarin though. Why pay more for what you already have?
That is no where close to a true statement and I think people underestimate Hoffman. But Bread is on the tier above. World class puck handler and playmaker who will put up 30g and play ppg even if it was 2nd line talent with him. Insanely underrated 2way game. Lead forwards in takeaways before the AS break but fell off near the TDL when he mentally wasnt in the games until the final 12ish.

Deen

Feb 19, 2010
That is no where close to a true statement and I think people underestimate Hoffman. But Bread is on the tier above. World class puck handler and playmaker who will put up 30g and play ppg even if it was 2nd line talent with him. Insanely underrated 2way game. Lead forwards in takeaways before the AS break but fell off near the TDL when he mentally wasnt in the games until the final 12ish.

Panarin is the better player. I agree with that. You can have Hoffman AND another depth player though. That's how you win Cups.

Reactions: mikeyp24

mikeyp24

Jun 28, 2014
Panarin is the better player. I agree with that. You can have Hoffman AND another depth player though. That's how you win Cups.
Agreed. Depth wins championships. If its Hoffman plus a say young cost controlled depth guy like an Anderson/Bjorkstrand/Texier and on the other hand its just bread... 2 is always better then 1.

Nah man. Huberdeau REALLY only had like 30 points, those other 60 don’t count. He’d be lucky to net Cam Atkinson’s glove. Not gloves.....glove.
maybe 1 finger on that glove on his best day.

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
Why would Florida give up anything now? They can just sign them both for free a week later!

SufferingCatFan

Apr 6, 2008
fort lauderdale
As has been repeatedly stated, the Panthers have 2 glaring needs, goalie and a physical, top 4 D-man, a scoring forward is not one of them. Bob is the most obvious choice among UFAs, but there are also other, lesser and cheaper, free agent options. The UFA market on D is weak. If the Panthers are really "going for it," they have about $21 million in cap space plus a tradeable assets in the form of non-core players, prospects and picks. Another factor is the hiring of Coach Q, who has an excellent relationship with Bread, a luxury they currently cannot afford without clearing cap space.

My crystal ball suggests that there will be a ton of surprising moves in the off season with Trader Tallon at the helm, who will also have to be mindful of the upcoming expansion draft so as to avoid the last disaster. That stated, there is no way that the Cats will pay $10 million to Bob. Given that Florida is a non-tax state, I expect the max that Florida will offer is in the high 7 range.

Jan 9, 2007
Australia
I personally like Florida's team. If they kept it the same and let the players mature they are a real Cup contender. Barkov is a top 5 players in the league. I am sure Bob would help, not sure if Panarin is worth the squeeze for you guys.

Florida has been the future Cup contender for like 20 years now. I see nothing in the organization's history to suggest a positive outcome if they take the wait and develop approach.

They have a bad ass 1C who would be maybe the best shutdown C in the league if he weren't so good offensively. Total package guy. If they can add a top flight goalie and legit 1st line scoring threat, line driver type like Panarin, then they ought to do it.

Reactions: haveandare

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
I learned LOOOOOOOONG ago never do polls here because you never get actual results when you're CBJ player. People still putting Provarov over Werenski or guys like Atkinson/Murray being insanely underrated. There was a poll before about Murray being a top 4D if healthy and it turned into a discussion of basically every bottom team saying they dont even think he could make their bottom pair because X prospect could fit there and them developing is better fornthe team then having Murray playing healthy for them there... Murray played #2D all year next to Jones when healthy and was dominant just like he was the first year Jones came over then he was hurt a year and another year he played off hand with a rookie Nuti who was god awful turning the puck over in his own Dzone leading directly to goals which made Murrays stats look like ****. But when he has been getting the playing time when healthy on his proper side he can carry a pairing. But hes a CBJ player so they would rather Roman Polak.

People think Cam is an undersized winger who is benefitting from Panarin rather then looking at his goal totals have raised every year as he has slowly been moved from the 4th to the 3rd to grind with Calvert then played with fligs dubi and himself in the 2nd. He went from ryjo to wennberg to pld to duchene and no matter who was there he produces and scores the most team goals for us.

The thing with the cbj is we have like 8 guys over 20 goals and those same 8 guys will have like 20 to 30 assists. We are a team of a **** ton of contributors and our numbers are spread. Then you have teams like FLA or EDM where the top line has the huge numbers and then the bottom 3 kinda sit in that middle zone. Thats why everyone always raves about pur forward depth and say we have no offense at the same damn time. We spread the scoring around. So its not that a certain guy couldnt get 70 assists its that isnt how the system works. You put up a poll people will see Hubs had higher points and pick him ignoring previous seasons where he doesnt put up a sonfar outlier season and ignore that cam not only scored doublendigit more goals but also on average 7 more a year while getting almost 2sh goals a year being the far superior 2 way player. Same reason no one will ever pick Ovi the greatest goal scorer in history over the canadian kid Crosby or Mathews over Canadian kid McDavid. The non Canadian goal scorer will never beat a canadian playmaker on this site. Marner over Kane id bet would be picked... seriously.
Yes, Atkinson is tremendously underrated. The thing is, so is Huberdeau. The guy legit creates plays out of nothing.

To say one is better than the other is silly. Atkinson is a very good and underrated playmaker but doesn't create chances to the degree Huberdeau does. Huberdeau is a very good and underrated goal scorer but doesn't finish the way Atkinson does. Let's just leave it at that.

Reactions: Pumaconcolorcoryi

Golden Puppers

Mar 20, 2019
Yes, Atkinson is tremendously underrated. The thing is, so is Huberdeau. The guy legit creates plays out of nothing.

To say one is better than the other is silly
. Atkinson is a very good and underrated playmaker but doesn't create chances to the degree Huberdeau does. Huberdeau is a very good and underrated goal scorer but doesn't finish the way Atkinson does. Let's just leave it at that.

Not really, at least not for me. wouldnt hesitate at picking Huberdeau. Atkinson is more a volume shooter and has a better shot but Huberdeau can finish around the goal just as good and as you said he's a lot better as a volume chance creator. For that reason Atkinson can't really drive a line, but Huberdeau probably could (yes he plays with Barkov).

mikeyp24

Jun 28, 2014

To say one is better than the other is silly. Atkinson is a very good and underrated playmaker but doesn't create chances to the degree Huberdeau does. Huberdeau is a very good and underrated goal scorer but doesn't finish the way Atkinson does. Let's just leave it at that.

Not really, at least not for me. wouldnt hesitate at picking Huberdeau. Atkinson is more a volume shooter and has a better shot but Huberdeau can finish around the goal just as good and as you said he's a lot better as a volume chance creator. For that reason Atkinson can't really drive a line, but Huberdeau probably could (yes he plays with Barkov).
Thats why it never makes sense to try and be polite about their players and argue they are both good because they will say you are right about their player but somehow wrong about your own. Their will never be a teams fans that think they dont have a better player then Cam no matter what the stats say. Hubs has 1 career year assists wise and all of a sudden it makes him better then a guy who averages 29g a year and averaged a similar amount of assists except this year. And somehow Cam is a volume shooter now? Haha yeah his game is just shoot 10 a game hope 1 goes in. Not even picking a spot just closing his eyes and hoping its near the goal while hubs with the unimaginable grace is able to precisely dash in and out and flow with the puck like he is a gentle brook of water and net it anywhere up close while driving his own line. f*** Barkov Hubs is how that line is driven. He is like Ricky Bobby at Talladega driving that shit so so hard and wet until he scores.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad