Speculation: Seravalli Insider Trading: Canucks “Top of the list” Interest for Gallagher

Status
Not open for further replies.

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
I agree they are better off holding onto him and wait for the deadline. Incase you haven't notice players are not going for fair/true value on the market right now.
I’ve noticed. But that doesn’t mean an nhl nobody like Virtanen has equal value to Gallagher. One has some value. The other one virtually nil on the value scale.

thefutures

Sponsor
Jul 2, 2017
Can't see Montreal being a seller regardless of contract status, I think they want to make a run with their team and let guys expire if need be.

Reactions: lawrence

Nucker101

Foundational Poster
Apr 2, 2013
This rumour makes no sense to me. Habs aren’t trading the heart and soul of their forward group during a season where they expect to make the playoffs. If the Habs are out of a playoff spot during mid season then it makes way more sense.

BobClarkesfrontteeth

Feb 6, 2020
Parts unknown
I’ve noticed. But that doesn’t mean an nhl nobody like Virtanen has equal value to Gallagher. One has some value. The other one virtually nil on the value scale.

Apparently you haven't noticed. There are only two trades that have happened where players were traded at full value or close enough to it.

Kapanen trade (overpayment and even more so now)
Domi for Anderson trade.

The rest of the players are getting trade for lower value than what teams use to trade the negotiation rights for a pending UFA use to get. That is the reality of trading in this offseason. With 95% of the cap spaced used up and several teams with lower internal budgets there is no one left to bid on players.

BobClarkesfrontteeth

Feb 6, 2020
Parts unknown
The trade and the contract are not the same thing. Also I think a lot of people are over valuing Domi. As a center he is a below average 2C upper level 3C and I like Domi.

Anderson IF healthy is a unique talent. Without the lost season he fetches a lot more than Domi. The contract is insane. MB is betting his job on this one and we all remember how well he did the last time he tried to get bigger and tougher. Kassian, Devante Smith-Pelly and various bags of meat.

I have stated several times I think a Gallagher trade holds far more value at the deadline. The Bruins will be in a market at the deadline for a goal scorer.

Last edited by a moderator:

Pure West

Oct 3, 2005
Vancouver
I'd love to have Gallagher on the Canucks. His modest salary for a 30 goal scorer with some great intangibles make him attractive to anyone. The fact that he has an expiring contract will actually be a benefit to teams that have a lot of big salary commitments coming up and are just looking for some reasonably priced secondary scoring. Vancouver is one of those teams, but I imagine not the only one so I don't expect any discounts here. Virtanen and a 4th isn't gonna get it done.

Sounds like he's looking for a home run contract. I would say that it may be worth trading big assets for him if we get him signed, but if he's looking for a retirement contract I sure hope we're not obliging. With the amount of punishment he takes I have a hard time seeing him age gracefully.

Archijerej

Jan 17, 2005
Poland
I didn't say that is the move Bergevin is going to make at all. Just said what the price would be in 2020. It's a simple reality of a flat cap.

This is the price for cap dumps, not for Gallagher. He makes under 3 million against the cap and 1 million in real money. Don't you think the Habs would take a contract back in a trade?

But if Gallager is unhappy about the contract talks breaking off and the demotion to the 3rd line. Then Bergevin might not have much of a choice but to move him.

What demotion to the 3rd line? He's our best forward.

TT1

May 31, 2013
Montreal
I love Gally but if the return is good, take him.

I'm not risking resigning him long term for the money that he wants, his hand got injured badly twice and he wasn't great this season. Best to move on while his value is at .

I still hope he joins our coaching staff when he's done with his career, love the guy.

Gallagher would be a real valuable trade chip. He's got a very low cap hit for the quality of player he brings to the table.

I'd guess a 1st + B+ prospect + Roster player.

Virtanen + 1st + Hoglander

but not for offers like these, if you're not giving up a piece that hurts, you won't be getting him

we want high end futures

Last edited:

BobClarkesfrontteeth

Feb 6, 2020
Parts unknown
This is the price for cap dumps, not for Gallagher. He makes under 3 million against the cap and 1 million in real money. Don't you think the Habs would take a contract back in a trade?

What demotion to the 3rd line? He's our best forward.

His Cap hit is 3,750,000 it is not under 3 million.

Toffoli is not a 3rd line winger. They didn't bring in Anderson to play the 3rd line either. To get max value out of these players you need them to play on the Power play.
All three of them make their living as finishers. Who is going to see 1st line minutes? The soon to be UFA you have broken off contract talks with or the two new wingers you signed for 7 years and 4 years respectively.

Shiny new toys always get played with more than the old ones.

Reactions: platotld

TT1

May 31, 2013
Montreal

Toffoli is not a 3rd line winger. They didn't bring in Anderson to play the 3rd line either. To get max value out of these players you need them to play on the Power play.
All three of them make their living as finishers. Who is going to see 1st line minutes? The soon to be UFA you have broken off contract talks with or the two new wingers you signed for 7 years and 4 years respectively.

Shiny new toys always get played with more than the old ones.

Caufield's knocking at the door too, he'll be ready in a year.

Archijerej

Jan 17, 2005
Poland

Yes. I meant 4 million. Which actually facilitates a trade, because we can take back a better player with a larger cap hit.

All three of them make their living as finishers.

You're speaking to a Habs fan, so if I were you I wouldn't be so authoritative about who will play where and on what line. The Habs stated goal the past two seasons is to be a 4-line team, which is logical given their roster composition. Between their top-9, the icetime is more or less evenly distributed, depending on performance. As of today, their top-9 is:

Tatar-Danault-Gallagher
Drouin-Suzuki-Anderson
Lehkonen-Kotkaniemi-Toffoli

You can number those lines however you like, but the fact of the matter is that on any given night any of those lines can get top-6 minutes.

Now, the powerplay is a different matter. For whatever reason (might be our inept PP coach) Gallagher has been a rather ineffective 5-on-4 producer. Reducing his minutes there will hardly lower the value of his future contract, as he gets the vast majority of his points at even strength. That's the main value of this player. He never played on a bad line in his life, because every line he plays on suddenly becomes good. On the other hand it's been demonstrated that Gallagher's been more effective at ES if his minutes were kept relatively low.

Also, correct me if I'm wrong, but Anderson isn't exactly a big PP player? If he's used there, it'll be at Armia's expense.

Toffoli will definitely play on the 1st PP unit.

Archijerej

Jan 17, 2005
Poland
Caufield's knocking at the door too, he'll be ready in a year.
We really have to stop with this. Caufield, Ylonen...

Caufield is not knocking on any doors. He's a good prospect who needs a good amount of development, as the organization clearly admitted. If we could re-sign Gallagher to a reasonable term, I'd trade Caufield in a second for an upgrade on defence.

Trading Gallagher might turn out to be a necessity, but no one should be under the illusion that he'd be easy to replace. He's a unique player.

Last edited:

Archijerej

Jan 17, 2005
Poland
This is a world where Schmidt was traded for a 3rd...

So we're just going to ignore the specific circumstances of that trade?

Vegas HAD to move Schmidt to make room for Pietrangelo. They were up against the wall with several million above the cap.

We DON'T HAVE to move Gallagher and don't have to clear salary. Sending Jordan Weal to minors makes us cap compliant.

Gallagher is one season away from UFA and carries a decent cap hit, I’m not sure you’ll get much value unless you can take cap space back.

Of course we'd take a player back. And a good one.

Reactions: Kudo Shinichi
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad