Speculation: Seravalli Insider Trading: Canucks “Top of the list” Interest for Gallagher

Status
Not open for further replies.

WetcoastOrca

Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
No to Gallagher. Canucks are a young team that needs to be acquiring younger forwards to supplement their core. Gallagher is a better long term fit in Montreal with Price and Weber still being very good players. We need to get away from this fascination with local guys.
Unless of course Joe Sakic becomes available as GM. :laugh:

NextGoalIsHuge

Nov 19, 2017
Love it.
Some random dude thinks the Canucks would target Gallagher if he became available.
Great way to score hits, pitting two rabid fanbases against each other :popcorn:

Any time a "heart and soul' player is rumoured to be out, the valuations are all over the place. Their relative value to the franchise tends to exceed the perceived value to other teams....that presumably have their own "heart" and "soul" players.

Good player & hard worker. UFA next year. 28 y/o.
I don't see a deal here between our two clubs. The current economic climate is wreaking havoc and we have bigger fish to fry in the next two years.

Given some of the trades we have seen, MTL fans are, understandably, nervous and defensive regarding one of their favourites. Vancouver fans are feeling somewhat encouraged after what has transpired with Schmidt. I wouldn't expect any realistic hockey offers from our side. We're just casting lines to see if there are any more sweet deals we can score.

Don't take it personally, Montreal. Your brass will smooth over any wrinkles that may have appeared after signing Anderson. Enjoy Toffoli. Ya scooped us on that one.

Archijerej

Jan 17, 2005
Poland
LOL I can tell your a Habs fan. So much miss placed passion. funny thing is I probably see as many Habs games as you do. Wife is a Habs fan so you know what games I am watching on a Saturday night. I realize how the lines were organized this past season but plan and simple you don't make the Anderson trade and give him a 7 year contract to have him be a 3rd line checker. That is what you have bottom 6 players like Lehkonen and Armia for.
This is one of the reasons the contract talks with Gallagher broke off. You have 3 top 6 right wingers for 2 spots.

MB has put enormous pressure on himself with these moves so he is going to want to make sure they pay off. This reminds me a lot of the off season New Jersey had last year. Everyone thought they would make this great leap ahead to a playoff spot but te pieces brought in either didn't preform or didn't fit. We all know how that ended up
You sensed passion in my post?

Bizarre.

Just Linda

Feb 24, 2018
Every indication today seems to say that it was all Gallagher's agent using the media to put more pressure on MB to sign Gallagher long term/ higher AAV.

Such a non-issue, the first round of negotiations fizzled with both the player and team wanting to still make it work.

Only red flag I still see is that Gallagher and Danault have both said that they want to sign long term but they also want to make sure the right people are on the team. It seems to me that they really like the chemistry with Tatar and will be pushing that all 3 stay as Habs

FreeMcdavid

Dec 30, 2019
according to Sportsnet's Irfaan Gaffar, The Habs were in heavy talks with the Vancouver Canucks in regards to acquiring Jake Virtanen at the draft. However, Benning and the Canucks refused to move Virtanen as they were then negotiating with Arizona for an OEL trade. Irf says that Arizona wanted Virtanen in any deal involving OEL as well.

Irf says Montreal has been after JV for a while and wouldnt be surprised if they still try to trade for him now even if they have acquired Tofolli and Anderson. He says Montreal has always been hooked on Virtanen's size and speed and right shot.

The radio interview literally just happened on Sportsnet 650 and ill upload the link as soon as they put it up.

Thoughts?

Maybe there is some fuel to this Gallagher /Virtanen rumor as this is the second network, TSN being the first one that is reporting the interst between both teams. If there is smoke there is certainly fire.

What would MTL trade for JV in a trade that doesnt involve Gallagher?

Reactions: Canadian Canuck

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
Can’t see it after Anderson

Gallagher
Toffoli
Anderson
Armia
At Rw

Then Caufield as top Rw prospect

Rey

Jan 11, 2007
Virtanen isn’t a power forward. I’d take Gallagher or Toffoli back in a heart beat for Virtanen.

Reactions: Gravity

wonton15

Höglander
Dec 13, 2009
Gotta imagine Benning would want a D at a similar age/potential for Virtanen. And where theres some smoke, there might be fire regarding Gallagher and Virtanen...

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
Every team would want Virtanen if he is available.. he is just starting to hit his potential and will most likely be on a very reasonable contract.

IMO Nucks should hold onto him

Evgeny Oliker

Mar 12, 2003
Visit site
I think a deal around Gallagher and Virtanen might work for both teams.

Seems that Montreal is looking to add size (J.Anderson, Edmundson) and Virtanen at 6'1 versus Gallagher at 5'9 might make some sense. Especially if Montreal is having issues re-signing Gallagher...instead of losing him as a UFA after this coming season, they should manage their assets better and get something for him.

Same thought for Vancouver. If they are struggling to re-sign Virtanen then the trade route would be wise. Gallagher would give them another 30 goal scorer, which they sorely need on the wing. They cant just rely on Boeser to score 30 off the wing.

TopTenPlayz

Jun 6, 2014

Seems that Montreal is looking to add size (J.Anderson, Edmundson) and Virtanen at 6'1 versus Gallagher at 5'9 might make some sense. Especially if Montreal is having issues re-signing Gallagher...instead of losing him as a UFA after this coming season, they should manage their assets better and get something for him.

Same thought for Vancouver. If they are struggling to re-sign Virtanen then the trade route would be wise. Gallagher would give them another 30 goal scorer, which they sorely need on the wing. They cant just rely on Boeser to score 30 off the wing.
Virtanen and his"breakout" year of 18 goals won't net Gallagher. If Gallagher is traded, expect a sign and trade kinda deal like Pacioretty

BB88

Jan 19, 2015

Montreal doesn’t have space for Virtanen

FreeMcdavid

Dec 30, 2019
why was this thread merged?

The radio hit/rumor was about Habs being interested in Virtanen. Doesnt have to do with Gallagher.

Why cant it be a thread of its own?

FrankMTL

Jan 6, 2005
why was this thread merged?

The radio hit/rumor was about Habs being interested in Virtanen. Doesnt have to do with Gallagher.

Why cant it be a thread of its own?

You mentioned Gallagher in your original post. Before you reply to my post to tell me that it was more about Virtanen than Gallagher, I'm just telling you why it was merged.

BHD

Vejmelka for Vezina
Dec 27, 2009
Moncton, NB
Virtanen does seem like the player Bergevin would seek in return for Gallagher. Under normal circumstances, the Canucks would probably have to add. However, this is a trade involving Bergevin and Benning. So you never know...

Reactions: Canadian Canuck

FreeMcdavid

Dec 30, 2019
The funny thing is, Virtanen and Anderson have the same tool set.

MTL should have just traded for Virtanen initially. It certainly wouldnt have cost Max Domi and nor would you have to pay him 35+ million.

Montreal probabl isnt convinced that Anderson can be healthy and produce right away which is why they would have interst in somoe one like JV as an insurance policy. Virtanen probably outscores Anderson if they were given the same role

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
according to Sportsnet's Irfaan Gaffar, The Habs were in heavy talks with the Vancouver Canucks in regards to acquiring Jake Virtanen at the draft. However, Benning and the Canucks refused to move Virtanen as they were then negotiating with Arizona for an OEL trade. Irf says that Arizona wanted Virtanen in any deal involving OEL as well.

Irf says Montreal has been after JV for a while and wouldnt be surprised if they still try to trade for him now even if they have acquired Tofolli and Anderson. He says Montreal has always been hooked on Virtanen's size and speed and right shot.

The radio interview literally just happened on Sportsnet 650 and ill upload the link as soon as they put it up.

Thoughts?

Maybe there is some fuel to this Gallagher /Virtanen rumor as this is the second network, TSN being the first one that is reporting the interst between both teams. If there is smoke there is certainly fire.

What would MTL trade for JV in a trade that doesnt involve Gallagher?

Now that we signed Toffoli, I don’t see any interest and no capspace unless Byron goes the other way in a package.

FreeMcdavid

Dec 30, 2019
Now that we signed Toffoli, I don’t see any interest and no capspace unless Byron goes the other way in a package.

Virtanen will only make under 3mil. Im sure MTL can fit him in they really wanted to.

It will just depend on the return for the Canucks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad