News Article: Sep 20: Newbury/Danis/Holmstrom clear waivers, sent to AHL; Bourdon clears (LTIR?)

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
is funny because vs washington when erskine punch a player for no reason
you want mathers vs erskine no?

I don't mind a good scrap, but I care way more about winning the game on the score board & in order to do so you need guys who can contribute offensively & defensively.

In what world would a guy like Newbury who's played 72 NHL games in 10 seasons deserve a spot over a guy like Max Talbot who's played 504 NHL games in 9 seasons? I just don't know how you can justify a stance on that other than you just want another guy in the lineup who fights.

It's not the 70's anymore no matter how much you want it to be, you can't decorate your lineup with talentless goons all over the place & expect to win hockey games.

In today's NHL you need guys who have multiple skill sets along with fighting skills guys like Lucic, Hartnell, Simmonds, etc.

Last edited:

BernieParent

In misery of redwings of suckage for a long time
Mar 13, 2009
Chasm of Sar (north of Montreal, Qc)
I don't have a problem with Rosehill stapled to the bench for the odd couple of shifts to exchange unpleasantries with the opposing goon, but he shouldn't be taking a regular shift even on the 4th line.

flyersfan28

Aug 17, 2013
I don't have a problem with Rosehill stapled to the bench for the odd couple of shifts to exchange unpleasantries with the opposing goon, but he shouldn't be taking a regular shift even on the 4th line.

rosehill is a enforcer who can play in nhl boll,thornton,reaves type of players
is not a scott,MacIntyre type of player play 1 minute game

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
Still think Raffl wins the 3LW spot over Laughton

Didn't see the game Monday, but it seemed like he played a bit passive yesterday. I'm not going to judge 1 preseason game, due to a number of on going factors though. It's obvious when he signed it was with the intention he would be playing for the big club. I look forward to seeing what he can bring in the upcoming weeks.

I hope Raffl is good, but I also hope he doesn't take the spot Laughton woulda had.. Any chance Newbury stays up? I really like him as a 4th line guy.

What spot did Laughton have exactly?

jd2210

Registered Non User
Jul 24, 2009
Great White North
Akeson and McGinn down and vanvelde staying up are the big news stories here. I think the others are waiver issues. Considering how totally not talked about and the ahl contract he was signed to I didn't have high hopes for vv. maybe they seem him as a decent callup and want him to stay with the team for a bit. I assume his contract could be converted somehow if that is the case.

sobrien

RAFFLCOPTER
Jul 19, 2009
South Jersey

Rosehill is the shortest midget at that circus. Boll, Thornton, and Reaves bring much more to the table than Rosehill does.

No to Mathers in lineup
No to Newbury in lineup
No to Rosehill in the lineup either.

Yourself

Oct 12, 2010
Where do you guys see Akeson sitting at in the case of injuries to the Flyers line-up throughout the season? 2nd or 3rd callup? Later?

BernieParent

In misery of redwings of suckage for a long time
Mar 13, 2009
Chasm of Sar (north of Montreal, Qc)

That being said, I still don't want to see Rosehill taking a regular shift. The Flyers have a number of options that improve them much more than him, and can still take care of the rough stuff.

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
Where do you guys see Akeson sitting at in the case of injuries to the Flyers line-up throughout the season? 2nd or 3rd callup? Later?

Probably if one of the top 6 guys get hurt, specifically Voracek or Simmonds.

flyersfan018

Mar 2, 2011
NJ
Didn't see the game Monday, but it seemed like he played a bit passive yesterday. I'm not going to judge 1 preseason game, due to a number of on going factors though. It's obvious when he signed it was with the intention he would be playing for the big club. I look forward to seeing what he can bring in the upcoming weeks.

He was definitely more impressive in his first game than against the Rangers.

Him and McGinn are probably the top 2.

flyersfan28

Aug 17, 2013
Rosehill is the shortest midget at that circus. Boll, Thornton, and Reaves bring much more to the table than Rosehill does.

No to Mathers in lineup
No to Newbury in lineup
No to Rosehill in the lineup either.

lol boll 1.7m .thornton 1m
rosehill 0.7m
rosehill 27years is better that thornton 36 years

flyersfan28

Aug 17, 2013
i think laughton win the 3line spot over raffl. laughton is a better player
i think the call up is
1mcginn
2cousins
3akeson

BillDineen

Former Flyer / Extinct Dinosaur Advisor
Aug 9, 2009
I didn't see Raffl the first game, but the last game he was just ok. I think Talbot might me more productive on the third line. Raymond or Brunner will easily outproduce Raffl and I am not convinced his defensive game is spectacular. Hopefully he does more than Pyorala.

Lavy has talked about Vinny and Simmonds having chemistry from the start and the control down low Hartnell-Vinny-Simmonds has been praised enough that I think that line might be set to start the season at least.

I thought VandeVelde played well. Lavy also mentioned his play in the post game interview. I imagine he is just fighting for an nhl contract and being a potential call up. One article mentioned the Flyers wanted to keep Laughton as a center which would leave him battling for the 4c with Hall and perhaps VandeVelde. Having said that, I can't imagine a 4th line with two rookies if Talbot is on the third.

It does not say much for Meszaros, Gustafsson and Gervais that Gill has not been released yet and Lauridsen is still in the running (although Lauridsen's commitment this summer and gaining muscle has been mentioned). I don't think Meszaros would be claimed if he was waived. Gustafsson has disappointed and Gervais is Gervais.

SchennSational1022*

Newbury is more than a goon, isnt he always one of the top scorers in the AHL or a solid scorer at least? Not saying that means anything but he can at least play. Its not like he is some goon like an Orr or Reaves.

Im also not saying he should play over a guy like Talbot either, just stating hes much better than the common misconception with him.

CutOnDime97

Too Showman
Mar 29, 2008
is funny because vs washington when erskine punch a player for no reason
you want mathers vs erskine no?
We'll have Rinaldo in the lineup and possibly Hall. Not to mention Simmonds will drop the gloves if he needs to. Not saying they'll win the fights necessarily, but they won't let anyone get pushed around.

sa cyred

Running Data Models
Sep 11, 2007
SJ
I didn't see Raffl the first game, but the last game he was just ok. I think Talbot might me more productive on the third line. Raymond or Brunner will easily outproduce Raffl and I am not convinced his defensive game is spectacular. Hopefully he does more than Pyorala.

Lavy has talked about Vinny and Simmonds having chemistry from the start and the control down low Hartnell-Vinny-Simmonds has been praised enough that I think that line might be set to start the season at least.

I thought VandeVelde played well. Lavy also mentioned his play in the post game interview. I imagine he is just fighting for an nhl contract and being a potential call up. One article mentioned the Flyers wanted to keep Laughton as a center which would leave him battling for the 4c with Hall and perhaps VandeVelde. Having said that, I can't imagine a 4th line with two rookies if Talbot is on the third.

It does not say much for Meszaros, Gustafsson and Gervais that Gill has not been released yet and Lauridsen is still in the running (although Lauridsen's commitment this summer and gaining muscle has been mentioned). I don't think Meszaros would be claimed if he was waived. Gustafsson has disappointed and Gervais is Gervais.

Raffl looked better the first game. Lead the team in shots and overall was buzzing around the net. He himself said he was disappointed with his offensive play the 2nd game. Lacy went on to say though that they wanted to see how he did in a checking line role not offensive like the 1st game.

Overall I agree that his 2nd game wasn't good but those who watched his first saw that he looked like an NHL player easily when on a scoring line. And it wasn't Vinny or Simmonds carriying the play either. A lot of the time it was Raffl pushing the play into the offensive zone. Would like to see one more game of him on a decent scoring line to make sure it isn't a one game thing.

BillDineen

Former Flyer / Extinct Dinosaur Advisor
Aug 9, 2009
Raffl looked better the first game. Lead the team in shots and overall was buzzing around the net. He himself said he was disappointed with his offensive play the 2nd game. Lacy went on to say though that they wanted to see how he did in a checking line role not offensive like the 1st game.

Overall I agree that his 2nd game wasn't good but those who watched his first saw that he looked like an NHL player easily when on a scoring line. And it wasn't Vinny or Simmonds carriying the play either. A lot of the time it was Raffl pushing the play into the offensive zone. Would like to see one more game of him on a decent scoring line to make sure it isn't a one game thing.

It is still early. We'll have to see with Raffl. Hopefully he is the next Read. Overall, I was hoping McGinn would have challenged for a spot a bit more and maybe a dark horse like Straka as well.

Danko

You have no marbles
Jul 28, 2004
Your fault.

No.

The first game that I went to he had a good first period and got off about 3 shots in the first 10 minutes of the game. The rest of the night he was pretty invisible. I didnt check the box score but that was my opinion, i read that some of you are saying that he lead the team in shots, thats great if so.

The second game he was on a different line and didnt really see much from him at all.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad