News Article: Sep 20: Newbury/Danis/Holmstrom clear waivers, sent to AHL; Bourdon clears (LTIR?)

sa cyred

Running Data Models
Sep 11, 2007
SJ
It is still early. We'll have to see with Raffl. Hopefully he is the next Read. Overall, I was hoping McGinn would have challenged for a spot a bit more and maybe a dark horse like Straka as well.

Bill M said it best, McGinn, since his injury, is looking very hesitant to play his rough and tough game. McGinn not playing that game will make it hard to make the NHL.

Embiid

Off IR for now
May 27, 2010
Philadelphia
Bill M said it best, McGinn, since his injury, is looking very hesitant to play his rough and tough game. McGinn not playing that game will make it hard to make the NHL.

That fight with Mike Brown was bad..he really left himself open to get his face smashed. If it has given him PTSD ...that fight was really costly. He's cooked if he is hesitant to play his game anymore.

OrangeAndBlackMetal

Dark Wizard of the Black Cascade
Aug 14, 2009
Reykjavík
I like Laughton a lot and I think he's going to be a good nhl player, but I can't help but think it might be a good idea to use him as a trade chip to get a good PMD prospect. Anyone else share this feeling?

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
I like Laughton a lot and I think he's going to be a good nhl player, but I can't help but think it might be a good idea to use him as a trade chip to get a good PMD prospect. Anyone else share this feeling?

I agree but I just don't think the PMD we are looking for would be available for Laughton. There would likely be a lot added in to that deal, which would deter me from making the move in all likelihood. Trading Laughton for a top tier defender would be ideal, but unlikely.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013

We already have two good PMD prospects in Hagg and Gostisbehere. Is Laughton going to return a better player than them?

Prongo

Beer
Jun 5, 2008
philadelphia

I has the same thoughts as well. I'm thinking they let him play this year with the big club, let him showcase his skills off to the world, and see if there is any interest at the draft. Maybe include our first rounder with him and we might have a package to get a good pmd. We have a lot jam here at center, and he needs to move their eventually to make his biggest impact on any club

Hiesenberg

Jul 2, 2013
Newbury/Danis/Holmstrom/Bourdon all waived for the purposes of assigning them to the Phantoms. Roster is a hair closer to being complete.

dookie88

Aug 18, 2008
Germany
We already have two good PMD prospects in Hagg and Gostisbehere. Is Laughton going to return a better player than them?

With Streit here for the next couple few seasons and those two coming closer and closer, I don't really see the Flyers looking for a pure PMD. What we lack is a two-way-defender who plays every situation at an elite level.
This guy may or may not be Morin, but Laughton sure as hell won't return this kind of player.

OrangeAndBlackMetal

Dark Wizard of the Black Cascade
Aug 14, 2009
Reykjavík
I agree but I just don't think the PMD we are looking for would be available for Laughton. There would likely be a lot added in to that deal, which would deter me from making the move in all likelihood. Trading Laughton for a top tier defender would be ideal, but unlikely.

I'm thinking maybe a guy like Nathan Beaulieu?

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
So once Holmstrom, Newbury, MAB and Danis clear and go down the players left will be:

Schenn-Giroux-Voracek
Hartnell-Lecavalier-Simmonds
Raffl-Couturier-Read
Talbot-Hall-Rinaldo
VandeVelde-Laughton-Rosehill

Timonen-Schenn
Streit-Coburn
Grossmann-Gustafsson
Meszaros-Lauridsen
Gill-Gervais
Pronger

Mason
Emery

A lot of healthy competition for 6 and 7 D, 3LW and a 4th line spot.

I imagine:

Laughton, Raffl, VandeVelde (From the Field/of the field is literal translation! probably Belgian descent) and Hall seemingly fighting for two spots. Only as Rosehill will be kept as 13th forward as he can fight!

Gus vs Mez for #6

Gervais, Gill, Lauridsen (+ Mez or Gus) for #7. Though Lauridsen has being able to be sent down against him, plus development in AHL as a pro, so I imagine odds are against him.

Last edited:

Hiesenberg

Jul 2, 2013
I'm not a fan of keeping Laughton to C the 4th line. I think he's more talented than that.

Embiid

Off IR for now
May 27, 2010
Philadelphia
I'm not a fan of keeping Laughton to C the 4th line. I think he's more talented than that.

I kind of agree with Bill's take on Laughton

I would not be opposed to Laughton playing the fourth line center role as a rookie if he can beat out Hall for the job. I don't buy into the notion that a young, pro-ready forward -- defensemen and goalies are a somewhat different story -- can't develop if he's playing limited minutes in the NHL rather than big minutes on a junior team against lower-grade competition. Is it better to be practicing daily with and against the likes of Claude Giroux, Vincent Lecavalier and Sean Couturier or averaging over a point-per game in game action against OHL-grade competition?

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog/Bill...er-to-32-Who-is-Gone-and-Who-is-Left/45/54071

TheKingPin

Nov 16, 2005
Philadelphia, PA
I was a mild doubter but morin looked great in the preseason. Fully support sending him down for another year for a few reasons but he really looks like a great Dman in the making.

tymed

Jun 11, 2007
British Columbia
I think I'd want him to at least get a spot on the 3rd line if we're keeping him up. Kind of like Mike Richards's development path. Did Cannon ever touch the 4th line?

Not certain but I believe he started his rookie year on the 4th line behind Forsy, Carter, Zeus. Not for long too long anyways, but considering our core of forwards I would cap Laughton as an elite 3rd line center in any near future around here so I don't see why 4th line duties don't suffice, if not suite him better at the moment. Im sure he would be looking at some PK duty and immediate looks at top-9 when we have injuries. We have no need to force him up the depth chart and it puts him in a likely position to exceed expectations rather than fail or fight to meet them. Def worth the 9-game preview.
talbot-laughton-rinaldo would make for a dangerous 4th line if he can pull his weight in the circle. We also have the depth to release him to the WJC if theyd be willing to consider it.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 6
    Staked: $6,201.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,447.00