Dreger: Sense around the league a few clubs are strongly considering an offer sheet on Marner, Aho, Connor

seanlinden

Apr 28, 2009
You haven't read much since the difference is term and not cash

Sure, if they agree on the AAV they'll disagree on term. If they agree on the term, they'll widely disagree on AAV.

Of course now, Aho's agent May have an offer sheet sitting on his desk as well, which could elevate the ask.

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012
??? Buffalo has had some of the best opportunities to draft players over the past decade. What makes aho that “final”piece?

I didn't say he was. But having someone competent between Eichel and Larsson in the middle of the line-up would sure af exponentially improve Buffalo's forward group.

CheMxDawG

Jan 26, 2017
Sure, if they agree on the AAV they'll disagree on term. If they agree on the term, they'll widely disagree on AAV.

Of course now, Aho's agent May have an offer sheet sitting on his desk as well, which could elevate the ask.

Which our front office said they'd match, again, you don't seem to have read much about it but you're free to keep speculating without having any info.

Svencouver

Apr 8, 2015
Vancouver
Not really convinced I'm ever gonna see an offer sheet in my lifetime lmao, they're like the Chupacabra. Or the Loch Ness monster. Every offseason its name is passed around in hushed whsipers... but the monster is never to be seen...

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
Not really convinced I'm ever gonna see an offer sheet in my lifetime lmao, they're like the Chupacabra. Or the Loch Ness monster. Every offseason its name is passed around in hushed whsipers... but the monster is never to be seen...

[MOD]

Last offersheet signed was 2013.

I do hope someone has the balls to try one again too. THis seems like a great summer to try with the weak cap increase.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: TCNorthstars

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
Apparently it's 4 consecutive picks in a 5 year window if we are talking about 1st rounders.
Except The pick is top 10 protected, so I think neither the 2020 nor the 2021 is available for an offer sheet because the are encumbered. I could be wrong on that, but that’s what I had read somewhere.

Lempo

Recovering Future Considerations Truther
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
pretty sure the high/low rule doesn't apply to bonus $$

Salary and Bonuses

50.6 Maximum Player Salary and Bonuses; Fixed Dollar Amount of Player Salary.

(a) No SPC may provide for a total aggregate Player Salary and Bonuses that is in excess of twenty (20) percent of the Upper Limit for any League Year (the "Maximum Player Salary and Bonuses"). For a Player signing a multi-year SPC pursuant to which he receives the Maximum Player Salary and Bonuses in any League Year during the term of such SPC, the Maximum Player Salary and Bonuses for every League Year covered by the multi-year SPC shall be based upon the Upper Limit at the time the SPC was signed

50.7 Variability Rules for Multi-Year SPCs.

(a) For all "Front-Loaded SPCs" (as defined below), the difference between the stated Player Salary and Bonuses in any immediately adjacent League Years of that SPC cannot exceed thirty-five (35) percent of the stated Player Salary and Bonuses of the first League Year of such Front-Loaded SPC. Additionally, under no circumstances may the stated Player Salary and Bonuses in any League Year of a Front-Loaded SPC be less than fifty (50) percent of the highest stated Player Salary and Bonuses in a League Year of that same Front-Loaded SPC.

(i) To determine whether an SPC is a Front-Loaded SPC:

(A) Take the total number of League Years in the SPC and divide by two (2) ("First-Half Term");

(B) Add the amounts of all stated Player Salary and Bonuses in the First-Half Term. If the SPC has an odd number of League Years, allocate to the first half of the SPC one-half of the stated Player Salary and Bonuses paid to the Player in the middle League Year of such SPC (e.g., the fourth year of a seven-year SPC) ("FirstHalf Stated Player Salary and Bonuses");

(C) Divide the First-Half Stated Player Salary and Bonuses by the First-Half Term. The resulting amount shall be the "First-Half Averaged Amount";

(D) Calculate the Averaged Amount of the SPC in a manner consistent with Section 50.5(d)(ii);

(E) If the First-Half Averaged Amount is greater than the Averaged Amount for the entire term of the SPC, such SPC is a "Front-Loaded SPC" and must comply with Section 50.7(a). Any SPC other than a Front-Loaded SPC must comply with Section 50.7(b) rather than Section 50.7(a).

(b) "The 100 Percent Rule" for Multi-Year SPCs. For any SPC that is not a Front-Loaded SPC, the difference between the stated Player Salary and Bonuses in the first two League Years of an SPC cannot exceed the amount of the lower of the two League Years. Thereafter, in all subsequent League Years of the SPC, (i) any increase in Player Salary and Bonuses from one League Year to another may not exceed the amount of the lower of the first two League Years of the SPC (or, if such amounts are the same, that same amount); and (ii) any decrease in Player Salary and Bonuses from one League Year to another may not exceed fifty (50) percent of the Player Salary and Bonuses of the lower of the first two League Years of the SPC (or, if such amounts are the same, 50 percent of that same amount).

Reactions: JohnnyT91

seanlinden

Apr 28, 2009
Which our front office said they'd match, again, you don't seem to have read much about it but you're free to keep speculating without having any info.
What do you expect them to say?

"Yeah, we don't know, put one forward and we'll see?"

Reality is -- because of how little Carolina tends to pay its players, they should be afraid of an offer sheet coming -- simply because it would be such a no brainer if the numbers reported are accurate.

TT1

May 31, 2013
Montreal
I can't believe how much time I waste every year on this stupid 'high action' days.

I never learn.

TSN has turned into the TMZ of hockey, i don't blame them tbh.. it's all they have after losing out to SN. But yea you basically just have to take all their speculative talk with a grain of salt, it's all mostly to drive up ratings.

Reactions: NobleSix

CheMxDawG

Jan 26, 2017
What do you expect them to say?

"Yeah, we don't know, put one forward and we'll see?"

Reality is -- because of how little Carolina tends to pay its players, they should be afraid of an offer sheet coming -- simply because it would be such a no brainer if the numbers reported are accurate.

Except all confirmed reports from verified sources, along with our front office, maintain the stance that we'd match an offer sheet. You're getting sucked into the free agent frenzy with all these talks about offer sheets.

Lempo

Recovering Future Considerations Truther
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
I believe their 2021 is not available for an offer sheet because it already is included in the Marleau deal as a condition.
It's not. Both 1st picks 2020 and 2021 are encumbered and can be used for compensation only after unencumberment (=when we know which pick CAR won't get).

Reactions: Boom Boom Apathy

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad