Dreger: Sense around the league a few clubs are strongly considering an offer sheet on Marner, Aho, Connor

Lempo

Recovering Future Considerations Truther
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
work it as
ok so
15 bonus 1 mil salary
10 bonus 1 mil salary
8 bonus 1 mil salary
7 bonus 1.5 mil salary
6.5 bonus 1.5 mil salary
this comes out to a 10.5 aav x 5
The 2nd year is problematic, because it's very possibly a lockout year. Chances are you're burning 10M of good money there.

And Seb probably won't accept it as Salary and take the risk for himself.

(ditto with 2022-23)

seanlinden

Apr 28, 2009
Except all confirmed reports from verified sources, along with our front office, maintain the stance that we'd match an offer sheet. You're getting sucked into the free agent frenzy with all these talks about offer sheets.

Of course -- I'm sure that is 100% the culture that they've decided to buy into.

The last thing they want is somebody, anywhere in the league, believing they can get Aho for under $10m for 5 years while giving up a 1-1-2-3 set of picks.

Reactions: Seanaconda

Big Daddy Cane

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2010
Western PA
Dundon literally just dropped $3 mil today to buy a 1st round pick. He's going to turn around and get bullied into losing Aho?

It doesn't make sense.

Roboturner913

Jul 3, 2012
work it as
ok so
15 bonus 1 mil salary
10 bonus 1 mil salary
8 bonus 1 mil salary
7 bonus 1.5 mil salary
6.5 bonus 1.5 mil salary
this comes out to a 10.5 aav x 5

I think this works, used Matthews contract as a template

Do people actually think the Canes owner doesn't have $15 million though? I mean, I'm sure they wouldn't like it, but they'd just match the offer and then probably trade Jordan Staal or something if they were short on money.

Not Sure

Feb 8, 2016
Buffalo
[MOD]

Last offersheet signed was 2013.

I do hope someone has the balls to try one again too. THis seems like a great summer to try with the weak cap increase.

I think Columbus losing Panarin and Bob makes them really dangerous. They need to replace Panarin's scoring, and they were offering him $12-13 million reportedly, so they have the money. The coach and GM cant afford to take a step back after the last 2 years. They are in a spot where offer sheeting Marner or Point at $12-13 million x 7 becomes a possibility. Those draft picks in 3 or 4 years arent valuable to a GM who is fired for missing the playoffs this year.

Last edited by a moderator:

TheKingPin

Nov 16, 2005
Philadelphia, PA
I think Columbus losing Panarin and Bob makes them really dangerous. They need to replace Panarin's scoring, and they were offering him $12-13 million reportedly, so they have the money. The coach and GM cant afford to take a step back after the last 2 years. They are in a spot where offer sheeting Marner or Point at $12-13 million x 7 becomes a possibility. Those draft picks in 3 or 4 years arent valuable to a GM who is fired for missing the playoffs this year.
Do they even have the picks to make this happen? If they did they need to hang on to them.

You are looking at teams that don’t need those picks to make those offers.

RWatson29

Apr 24, 2012
Ontario
I hope someone offersheets aho based on the fact that the owner made teams wear their road jerseys at home. Outrageous!!!!!!

Not Sure

Feb 8, 2016
Buffalo
Do they even have the picks to make this happen? If they did they need to hang on to them.

You are looking at teams that don’t need those picks to make those offers.

They have the firsts, they dont have seconds. So they would need to go big or not bother. I know 1st round picks are more valuable than ever, but if you had to worry about keeping your job this year do you really care about a draft pick next year, or in 4 years?

Reactions: TheKingPin

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
Why tho? Sebastian Aho is terrible, unlike Sebastian Aho who is franchise player.

Because I can probably get Sebastian Aho for low enough I don't have to give up any compensation, and lets be real who wouldn't want to brag about signing Sebastian Aho for a million bucks.

Slap

Sep 28, 2017
Because I can probably get Sebastian Aho for low enough I don't have to give up any compensation, and lets be real who wouldn't want to brag about signing Sebastian Aho for a million bucks.
Good point

eanyills

Aug 7, 2015
Except all confirmed reports from verified sources, along with our front office, maintain the stance that we'd match an offer sheet. You're getting sucked into the free agent frenzy with all these talks about offer sheets.

You seem to be stuck on this. What else would management say? Every front office in the league would publicly say the same thing.

“Confirmed reports,” you do understand that it’s just a media game? That information carries no weight.

Will someone OS Aho? Probably not. Would Carolina match? Probably until a certain point, which is the debate here. Would it get that far? Who knows.

Stop speaking in absolutes when none of this is fact.

Canadienna

Jan 27, 2015
Dew drops and rainforest
Man, the Canes had such a terrific year last year, and their team has some hope.

I doubt he gets traded, and honestly I don't think Bergevin has the balls to offer-sheet a big name player like Aho. Habs have Domi, Kotkaniemi, Poehling, Gallagher coming up for renewal within 2 years.

FrozenJagrt

Dec 16, 2009
Rather than offer sheet Sebastian Aho this year I'd just wait and offer sheet Sebastian Aho next year instead.
I guess it depends on who you'd rather have for a cup run. Aho certainly brings some things to the table that Aho can't match, but Aho does have some strengths of his own.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
TSN has turned into the TMZ of hockey, i don't blame them tbh.. it's all they have after losing out to SN. But yea you basically just have to take all their speculative talk with a grain of salt, it's all mostly to drive up ratings.

Good call. :snide:

StephenPeat

Jul 19, 2015
GMs are not smart but they do realize that a Work Stoppage is not to their benefit. Dramatically overpaying middling RFAs is exactly how you get unchecked Salary Inflation. GMs are stupid but I’m fairly confident they’re smarter than this (excepting possibly Bergevin who is both stupid and reckless).
Stupid: Checks out
Reckless: Well mostly just stupid.

shakes

Pep City
Aug 20, 2003
Visit site
Oh come on, like you guys won't be pissed if you get offer sheeted. Keep fakin.
Given the fact that the Leafs would match anything under 4 first round picks and given that the reports that Marner wants a ridiculous salary, he certainly wouldn't sign an offer like Aho and if he did, the Leafs would consider that a bargain. So it's either an offer sheet that nets the Leafs 4 first round picks or the Leafs get him for less than what Marner has been asking for and can then trade him for a hell of a lot (if they wish) after the trade moratorium. Why would Leaf fans be upset? Dreger has been leaking too much crap and Marner's reputation has taken a hit in Toronto. So much so that even Dubas had to comment on it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad