Post-Game Talk: Sens @ Wings - Oct 23, 2013

SenatorsLegionary

Member of Sens Army
Oct 25, 2008
Montreal, Qc
Someone mentioned that he was never able to find real chemistry with anybody. I'm hopeful that Turris is the right player for him. Looking good right now but like you said it's a small sample size. Keep it up please!

Hmm, if that's the case he really seems to have found something with Turris and Mac so far. I like how creative they are when carrying the puck over the opposition's blue line and they've shown that they can work the cycle a bit too. Like you said keep it up please!

Tampacuseforever

Nov 3, 2012
This is more like it! I thought we played well vs Edmonton, just couldn't bury our chances. Team played well again, but had lots of finish. Good to see the team get better and better. Just a small tweak I kinda wish Conacher and Zbad were on a line together. Maybe a Smith-Zbad-Conacher line, were Smith can take the draws and a Condra-Grant-Neil line.

Yes yes and yes !!! :handclap: Zibanejad and Conacher would be a great third line combo.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
Great puck support tonight! That was the difference and also a lot of finish, particularly on Spezza goals and Ryan's first goal. Amazing shots

Sens are finally playing within more of the system and positionnally a lot better. Remember they didn't have the chance to play a lot as a full squad in pre-season (if not at all) and started on the road with a 6 games road trip, with some jet lag, against really good teams and 4 of them against the West where they struggle the most

Turris is a damn good hockey player, he's just amazing at everything (except face-offs)

Michalek didn't do much but it's ok, he will when others will not. Scoring depth is important

Also, gotta love Ryan and Spezza as our go-to-guys, they can deliver!

I hope we see this later this season :

Michalek-Spezza-Zibanejad
MacArthur-Turris-Ryan
Greening-Smith-Conacher
Condra-Grant-Neil
Kassian/Pageau

Over/Under 40 shots against tonight?

We give up a lot of shots still but opposing teams throw a lot of harmless shots for some reason. They want to make our goalies work a lot and it actually helps us since they are even better when they face a lot of shots. Personally as a goalie, I like those "free saves" because he really gets me in the game

Last edited:

EssendonBombers

classless
Jan 4, 2011
Straya
Turris was the only forward to play OVER 17 minutes tonight.

Maclean is really spreading the ice-time around...

Amazing what can happen when you get an entirely useless player back in the press box where he belongs. No offence to Kassian, he seems like a good dude, but he is not what the team needs and we are far better off without him in the lineup.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
Amazing what can happen when you get an entirely useless player back in the press box where he belongs. No offence to Kassian, he seems like a good dude, but he is not what the team needs and we are far better off without him in the lineup.

Sens beat the Habs 6-1 twice with Kassian in the line-up... What you said just doesn't mean anything. A 4 mins player is not the difference between lose or win, score or not, lol stop it guys. Our best players have just been real good, that's it.

EssendonBombers

classless
Jan 4, 2011
Straya
Sens beat the Habs 6-1 twice with Kassian in the line-up... What you said just doesn't mean anything. A 4 mins player is not the difference between lose or win, score or not, lol stop it guys. Our best players have just been real good, that's it.

I'm talking about the ability to roll four lines, not the ability to get blowout wins.

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008

It has a lot more to do with adding Zibanejad than taking Kassian out.

I still fail to see how Kassian is hurting the team playing 4-5 minutes a game.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
I'm talking about the ability to roll four lines, not the ability to get blowout wins.

Ok then I see, no forward has played less than 10:47

I don't mind much about Kassian but I agree he shouldn't play too much, maybe just 30-40% of the games, against teams that have heavies only

That being said, we talk WAYYYYYYYYYYYY too much about Kassian, he is not much of a factor, positively or negatively, he barely plays

When he plays, spreading his ice-time amongst better players can be a good strategy too

Altimus

Probably drunk
Sponsor
Jan 21, 2006
West end Ottawa
I hope they stick to this line up for a couple more games. Sorry Patrick but you may just have to stay a healthy scratch for a while.

peter67

Oct 16, 2012
Nepean
Who else is on board for Ottawa to play the Seinfeld theme whenever Cowen scores at home? Props to the Sens' twitter feed for the Breaking Bad references tonight.

Solid performance tonight and hopefully this is the type of effort we see every night from now on.

Seinfeld? Yes.
I second the motion.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
I for one am shocked that a team with Daniel Alfredsson came up flat in an important, emotional game.

here's to the future of the Ottawa Senators!

zing!

It is somewhat interesting how all of these years the Sens would have so much trouble against rivals like Toronto and Boston, or could never get over the game 7 hurdle in the playoffs.

Is this the year we finally get rid of that mental block?

Tundraman

ModerationIsKey
Feb 13, 2010
North
In between the 2nd and 3rd periods when a reporter asked Alfredsson if Detroit could come back in the 3rd he said "probably not"

18Hossa

And Grace, Too
Oct 12, 2012
zing!

It is somewhat interesting how all of these years the Sens would have so much trouble against rivals like Toronto and Boston, or could never get over the game 7 hurdle in the playoffs.

Is this the year we finally get rid of that mental block?

"Probably not"

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
We won the game because our bottom 6 looked absolutely amazing.

Conacher(as much as I hate his demotion) gave that horrid line of Smith and Neil speed and puck possession, in return we had some of our best scoring chances and our best shifts were with that line.

Grant-Zibanejad-Condra was a great line. Condra and Zibanejad hard puck possession players and Grant really did well on the cycle with them using his body. Great line.

Another reason why we won was the great play of Karlsson and Corvo. Both these guys were very quick in transitioning the puck up ice. The less time in defensive zone the better.

Karlsson with his best game of the year. So far that's been 2 great games. Could still be much better.

When your bottom 6 is playing hard and your defenders moving puck quick, that equals....

Goals galore from the top 6. That 2nd line was fabulous yet again. Poor Spezza playing with black hole Michalek who missing empty net and could have had easy 2on1 with Karlsson but bobbled puck, dear God almighty.

Detroit played very poorly though. Still, great performance by almost everyone. Gryba played better as game went on.

Phillips with best game of the year without a doubt.

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
idiot_lehner_zps5a94e37c.png

Lmfaoooooooooooooo, main your at it again. Your other post in the GDT killed me man.

"Look at this ****"

It has a lot more to do with adding Zibanejad than taking Kassian out.

I still fail to see how Kassian is hurting the team playing 4-5 minutes a game.

Playing Kassian low minutes= poor bottom 6 help.

Poor bottom 6 help= more ice time for top 6 which can never always be a good thing if they are not finding their game.

Bottom 6 contribution was this team's identity the past 2 years. It's no wonder we look poor early on with very weak bottom 6 help.

DrEasy

Out rumptackling
Oct 3, 2010
Stützville
Ziba and Corvo in, Kassian and Wiercioch out, Greening on top line: looks like we found a good combo of players with great chemistry on all lines, forward and defense. Let's not change anything for a while if possible.

As for those of you who still cheer for Alfie: I admire you (no sarcasm). Is that also how you'd take it if your wife leaves you for another guy (and an older one at that :D) after 19 years of a blissful marriage? You're a better man than I am. But I call it Gothenburg Syndrome.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $36,790.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cagliari vs Lecce
    Cagliari vs Lecce
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $25.00