Post-Game Talk: Sens @ Wings - Oct 23, 2013

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa
Nice to see Gryba and Cowen pot a goal a piece. Hopefully they can get a bit of confidence and keep it rolling because if we're going to achieve what we want to this season, these guys are going to be big cogs for the blueline. Goal scoring not required but physical shutdown minutes are. Well done from the boys from Saskatchewan.

I love watching that Turris line as well. You can see the obvious chemistry when they don't even need to put the puck on to each other's tape. Just put it into open space where your guy will be. They create time and space and win lots of battles once they've gained the zone.

Alf Silfversson

Jun 8, 2011
now, what to do about michalek?

He'll come around.

It's not like he's a liability out there. I think he finds his game and goes on a tear in the next few weeks.

He's coming off an injury and seems to be gripping his stick a little bit too tight.

If the team starts playing well his game will follow as he relaxes a little bit.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
We won the game because our bottom 6 looked absolutely amazing.

Conacher(as much as I hate his demotion) gave that horrid line of Smith and Neil speed and puck possession, in return we had some of our best scoring chances and our best shifts were with that line.

Grant-Zibanejad-Condra was a great line. Condra and Zibanejad hard puck possession players and Grant really did well on the cycle with them using his body. Great line.

Another reason why we won was the great play of Karlsson and Corvo. Both these guys were very quick in transitioning the puck up ice. The less time in defensive zone the better.

Karlsson with his best game of the year. So far that's been 2 great games. Could still be much better.

When your bottom 6 is playing hard and your defenders moving puck quick, that equals....

Goals galore from the top 6. That 2nd line was fabulous yet again. Poor Spezza playing with black hole Michalek who missing empty net and could have had easy 2on1 with Karlsson but bobbled puck, dear God almighty.

Detroit played very poorly though. Still, great performance by almost everyone. Gryba played better as game went on.

Phillips with best game of the year without a doubt.

Well said.

It is so amazing to watch a team with 4 good lines that you can just roll out there and keep everyone fresh. I don't understand why teams don't do this more often (splitting up top offensive guys for 2 top lines) and go with it. It gives everyone good quality icetime, keeps everyone in the game, and (most importantly for us) allows players to grow into their roles.

L'Aveuglette

つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Jan 8, 2007
Montreal
It has a lot more to do with adding Zibanejad than taking Kassian out.

I still fail to see how Kassian is hurting the team playing 4-5 minutes a game.

If you don't take Kassian out, you can't insert both Zibby and Grant, whom played very well on the fourth tonight. Kassian just takes away a spot from someone who can actually contribute. So yeah, Kassian is useless unless he's in the rafters drinking beer.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
It's also nice to dominate a game against a Western Conference transfer that was supposed to run roughshod over our division.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
Happy with the win and how the team responded to a dreadful effort after losing to Edmonton

However Detroit was terrible tonight, just awful

I'm not getting too excited but definitely very happy!

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Spezza and Ryan with 2 goals apiece? Jayess.

Cowen with a goal to shut up the haters? Jayess.

Zibanejad sets up the opening goal? Jayess.

Anderson allows one goal? Jayess.

Alfredsson zero points in an invisible effort? Jayess.

Can't script this much better.

Turris is rapidly becoming my favourite guy on the team.

salomonster

Oct 7, 2006
Double dot
Nice seeing Spezz being less of a dispenser and shooting more. It opens up way more for everybody too I find.

Spezz 6 goals on last 9 shots!

WOW :handclap:

Alf Silfversson

Jun 8, 2011
Spezza and Ryan with 2 goals apiece? Jayess.

Cowen with a goal to shut up the haters? Jayess.

Zibanejad sets up the opening goal? Jayess.

Anderson allows one goal? Jayess.

Alfredsson zero points in an invisible effort? Jayess.

Can't script this much better.

Turris is rapidly becoming my favourite guy on the team.

Selke nomination? :naughty:

Nov 16, 2007
in your head
Corvo continues to be the wild-card.

wildcard-o.gif

BurgoShark

Jul 1, 2004
Gold Coast
Missed the game. How did Cowen go without PW as his partner? I thought he went OK against Anaheim late when paired with Corvo. I reckon PW is good, but I'm not big on that Cowen-PW pairing on on PW playing the right side.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Weir's got 5 in 8. Can't complain about that kind of production, but yeah, right now they're somewhat interchangeable.

I've always liked Corvo, but give it a month and Weir will take it back with authority.

They should both be in the lineup at the same time.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON

LOL, Phillips out, Gryba and Corvo in? :naughty:

Ah, Big Rig, you've just reverted back to the days of "late season Phillips" and "early season Phillips".

Pretty hard to fault anyone tonight though.

saskriders

Can't Hold Leads
Sep 11, 2010
Calgary

I expect Weir to be back in next game. Getting scratched was a slap in the wrist and an example to the whole team. They weren't going to win games playing the way they were. Hopefully it motivates him to improve defensively

Hutz

Sep 7, 2007
Can we arrange for Alfy to be traded every day to whatever team we play next?

fringie

May 20, 2013
Kanata
I expect Weir to be back in next game. Getting scratched was a slap in the wrist and an example to the whole team. They weren't going to win games playing the way they were. Hopefully it motivates him to improve defensively

Not so sure about Weir coming back next game, why mess with a winning line-up? He needs to play for sure, but Corvo played a decent game, and is a right hand shot, and a better skater. He seems to work well with Cowen, kinda like the Karlsson - Methot pair, not as good of course, but got speed and size on D pair kind works well. Weir probably will play when one of the D struggles.

danishh

Dec 9, 2006
YOW
Greening-Spezza-Michalek makes sense. It worked fine in 2011-12, why not run it again.

also, keep the lineup the same for the anaheim game. Good way to reward the boys for a good game.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad