GDT: SENS @ WILD | EK-LESS EDITION | MARCH 30th 2017 8PM | TSN5, RDS2

Status
Not open for further replies.

krapsik

Nov 13, 2009
Estonia
not hard to analyze - the Sens have a negative goal differential. They continue like this next week and they will miss the playoffs.

This. Id say if they lose next game and Bos, Tampa, Leafs win their, Sens are out. And then i want heads to fly.

Comely

Nov 26, 2007
Cambridge
This. Id say if they lose next game and Bos, Tampa, Leafs win their, Sens are out. And then i want heads to fly.

Sens need 7 points in 6 games to clinch regardless if what happens. 7 will still be reachable if we lose to the jets. Tampa will likely lose at least 1 more this year means you need 5 points in 6 games. It does suck though to be on or worst stretch of the season right at the end. Tampa plays both Boston and Toronto still and someone has to lose those games.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
It's always fun to play your worst hockey right before the playoffs.

Even if we do make the playoffs, it'll be a quick out.

Losing a player or two every game is becoming pretty tiresome.

Fandlauer

Apr 23, 2013
Ottawa unless it becomes a disaster
Nothing like playing your worst hockey of the season and having to have a closed door players meeting right before the playoffs.

Even if we do make the playoffs at this point, which is a big if, we are going to get dusted. I just hope it isn't the Leafs that get to stomp us out.

Indrew

Feb 6, 2007
The Sens can't count on any offense from their forwards outside of Turris and Hoffman. I'm hopeful Stone will find his legs soon, but outside of those three, I have no confidence in any other forward.

No sustained pressure. No net drive. Poor execution on passes through the neutral zone. Losing > 60% of board battles. Pucks going wide or into the goalie's crest.

This slide is on the forwards.

krapsik

Nov 13, 2009
Estonia
The Sens can't count on any offense from their forwards outside of Turris and Hoffman. I'm hopeful Stone will find his legs soon, but outside of those three, I have no confidence in any other forward.

No sustained pressure. No net drive. Poor execution on passes through the neutral zone. Losing > 60% of board battles. Pucks going wide or into the goalie's crest.

And thats why White should play next game. He is better than many our F by default.

Alex1234

Oct 14, 2014
Boucher's game is based on match ups

Home ice is crucial for this team in a 7 games series

Viletho

Jan 20, 2015

I said it twice in this thread and i will say it again. Our defensive problem last couple of game is because we spend too much time in our zone. You can't expect Dman to be perfect when the puck is always behind your net and they 2v1, 3v2 the D. Mistake will eventually happen.

And why are we spending to much time in our zone, outside of the compete level and lack of execution on the transition, the forward are poor right now. We have 3 forward who contribute, on a nightly basis. Turris, Hoffman and Stone.

So we have 9 forward who are slumping at the same time. Mainly, Brassard,Ryan and Smith who are playing top 6 minutes. Well we can argue that Ryan and Brassard has slump all year, they aren't producing points at all. You can play as hard as you can, and Ryan did play well recently.. But no points, no goal..

This team have to win by commitment, It was pretty clear with the acquisition that we made that it was the plan since they were not able to bring a clear elite player.

We need offence and good defence from all 4 line. And we need SUSTAIN offence. Put the puck deep, skate hard, check them, if walking the line isn't available of course..

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
Boucher's game is based on match ups

Home ice is crucial for this team in a 7 games series

Is it? Other than the very basic checking line vs top line and bottom pair not playing against top line I don't think he's really anymore a matchups guy than anyone else.

I've actually seen boro out against top lines more than I would I like to.

Viletho

Jan 20, 2015
Sens are making the playoffs.

We need like just a couple wins to clinch.

The probability of us missing are very low.. But they still need to start playing. They can't count on other team to lose. They have to win and get going asap. If we win 3, we are garantee to make the playoff. And for any Tampa loss, we need 1 less win.

The bad thing right now.. They are on fire.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
We're starting to talk about Boucher the exact same way we talked about Cameron and MacLean when they hit their last 6 months of employment. "I like the guy, but he's making some terrible decisions" or "what is he thinking" type comments. Kinda creepy how déjà vu it is.

On another note, we should know by now this is how it'll end up. We absolutely need our goalie to steal most games for us, or play like legends for the team to go on a run. Have an average goalie, or Erik not on his game, and we have no chance.

I think, once the season and playoffs are over, we'll have to start asking some very hard questions about this club. Trading for a group of mediocre older players has done squat for this club. We are not contenders, or anywhere close to being contenders. And we're wasting Erik's prime. Will it be time to hold our noses and finally tear it down and rebuild? Erik's 10-team no-trade list goes into effect this summer. If the team makes the hard choice an goes full rebuild, you have to make that trade before the NTC hits to obtain decent value for him. (Just to mention, in no way do I want to move Erik.)

I hate saying it, but the next month is absolutely critical for the future of this franchise. We need to either win at least two rounds, or cut bait.

Mingus Dew

Microphone Assassin
Oct 7, 2013
It's kind of the same old story. This team is only really successful when out goaltending is unsustainably awesome. The "system" still just amounts to getting outshot, outpossessed and outplayed and hoping for 1-goal wins. It ain't gonna fly.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
We're starting to talk about Boucher the exact same way we talked about Cameron and MacLean when they hit their last 6 months of employment. "I like the guy, but he's making some terrible decisions" or "what is he thinking" type comments. Kinda creepy how déjà vu it is.

On another note, we should know by now this is how it'll end up. We absolutely need our goalie to steal most games for us, or play like legends for the team to go on a run. Have an average goalie, or Erik not on his game, and we have no chance.

I think, once the season and playoffs are over, we'll have to start asking some very hard questions about this club. Trading for a group of mediocre older players has done squat for this club. We are not contenders, or anywhere close to being contenders. And we're wasting Erik's prime. Will it be time to hold our noses and finally tear it down and rebuild? Erik's 10-team no-trade list goes into effect this summer. If the team makes the hard choice an goes full rebuild, you have to make that trade before the NTC hits to obtain decent value for him. (Just to mention, in no way do I want to move Erik.)

I hate saying it, but the next month is absolutely critical for the future of this franchise. We need to either win at least two rounds, or cut bait.
Murray did not rebuild this team to win two playoff rounds. Cutting paid because we can't accomplish that is a little extreme.

BatherSeason

Jun 16, 2009
Gatineau
Too many guys slumping.

Zach Smith 3 pts in last 18 games
Bobby Ryan 3 pts in last 16
Brassard 4 pts in last 17
Burrows 1 pts on last 8

Big money being paid to these guys going forward. Dorion is gonna look like a fool for trading for the last 2. Meanwhile, how good is Zach Smith and Burrows gonna look in 2 years. I feel like they will look a lot like Neil/Kelly do this year, which is not encouraging.

GWNR

Dec 10, 2013
Ottawa, Ontario
I'm usually pretty optimistic, but this team is just playing with no identity right now. They dont' even look like they care.

No idea what the cause is and quite frankly I don't really care. Fix it and get past this. 3 very winnable games coming up in the next 3. That would put us right in clinching territory.

Get it together.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
Too many guys slumping.

Burrows 1 pts on last 8

Big money being paid to these guys going forward. Dorion is gonna look like a fool for trading for the last 2. Meanwhile, how good is Zach Smith and Burrows gonna look in 2 years. I feel like they will look a lot like Neil/Kelly do this year, which is not encouraging.

Can't forget phanuf on the back end playing like total crap. And ceci still playing like crap. And methot WAS playing bad. That leaves us with one even serviceable d man capable of playing big minutes

Mingus Dew

Microphone Assassin
Oct 7, 2013
Too many guys slumping.

Burrows 1 pts on last 8

Honestly we shouldn't rely on Burrows to do much of anything offensively. Guy had a few big games against subpar competition but in the end he's a 4th liner.

And Ryan and Brassard have been slumping for most of the season haha. Same old same old with those two.

Smith is a concern though. He hasn't looked the same lately. It's telling how important he is to the team these days.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
Murray did not rebuild this team to win two playoff rounds. Cutting paid because we can't accomplish that is a little extreme.

We have a good start on a rebuild....Chabot, White, Brown, Pageau, Stone, Ceci, Claesson, Condon, Hogberg...they're all young. Will Erik want to stick around? Who knows?

The only older guys (aside from Erik) I'd want to keep for a while would be Hoff, perhaps Pyatt (2 year deal type move), Smith, and maybe Turris if we get him cheap.

Dump the rest of them. :D

BatherSeason

Jun 16, 2009
Gatineau
I said it twice in this thread and i will say it again. Our defensive problem last couple of game is because we spend too much time in our zone. You can't expect Dman to be perfect when the puck is always behind your net and they 2v1, 3v2 the D. Mistake will eventually happen.

And why are we spending to much time in our zone, outside of the compete level and lack of execution on the transition, the forward are poor right now. We have 3 forward who contribute, on a nightly basis. Turris, Hoffman and Stone.

So we have 9 forward who are slumping at the same time. Mainly, Brassard,Ryan and Smith who are playing top 6 minutes. Well we can argue that Ryan and Brassard has slump all year, they aren't producing points at all. You can play as hard as you can, and Ryan did play well recently.. But no points, no goal..

This team have to win by commitment, It was pretty clear with the acquisition that we made that it was the plan since they were not able to bring a clear elite player.

We need offence and good defence from all 4 line. And we need SUSTAIN offence. Put the puck deep, skate hard, check them, if walking the line isn't available of course..

Yes, while its partially due to our forwards, our D is not very good. Ceci, Phaneuf, and Boro, all struggle to win battles in front of our own net and really struggle to clear the puck up ice and continue to make major gaffes inside our own blue line. Ceci also struggles to get the puck deep into the offensive zone, which makes it very difficult to sustain any offence.

Viletho

Jan 20, 2015

Isn't it a sad thing that show that we also are a bipolar fanbase? Not at the extent of Habs and Leafs, but at the same time, it's probably because we have less fan.

Not long ago, we were 8-2 in our last 10 games. Boucher's system work !! Easy playoff berth

Last 10 games 3-4-3, Boucher's decision are terrible, Some here : we miss the playoff i'm telling you..

At some point, we are has bipolar in our reaction that the player are bipolar in there effort. What a great fit, right?

Yes, while its partially due to our forwards, our D is not very good. Ceci, Phaneuf, and Boro, all struggle to win battles in front of our own net and really struggle to clear the puck up ice and continue to make major gaffes inside our own blue line. Ceci also struggles to get the puck deep into the offensive zone, which makes it very difficult to sustain any offence.

I completely agree. But we always talk about how the D aren't doing a very good job, which is accurate. But we almost never talk about how the forward aren't helping the D by sustaining some offence. The more you attack, the less you defend. And right now, we lack a lot of talent in front. I've said it yesterday. In our forward group. We have 5 talented player. Stone, Hoffman, Turris, Ryan and Brassard.

3 of them are playing well most of the time. The 2 are not playing well in term of result. So we have 7 limited talented player we are actually grinder. And those grinder are not getting offensive result

Last edited:

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
I missed the game, but sounds like we weren't good. Not surprising given we're missing our top D pair, and a bunch of guys are playing banged up.

It's unfortunate that the injuries are piling up at the worst possible time. Hopefully we can get healthy on time for the playoffs (and make it in).

Healthy, this team is pretty good imo. But we lack the depth (particularly on D) to survive key injuries. Karlsson and Methot out at the same time really hurts. Our top prospects are all guys not available for callups in White (yet), Chabot, and Brown (not likely ready anyways). I am surprised though that Englund or Harpur didn't get called up, but I guess they wanted to see Jokipakka (how was he btw?).

I'd rather limp in and get healthy than play through injuries and risk aggravating them, but falling out the playoffs at this stage would really suck.

BatherSeason

Jun 16, 2009
Gatineau
Honestly we shouldn't rely on Burrows to do much of anything offensively. Guy had a few big games against subpar competition but in the end he's a 4th liner.

And Ryan and Brassard have been slumping for most of the season haha. Same old same old with those two.

Smith is a concern though. He hasn't looked the same lately. It's telling how important he is to the team these days.

Dorion didn't give up a decent scoring prospect for a 4th liner.

Remember all the hugs and high fives he got?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad