GDT: Sens vs Jets|Feb 9th 2PM|CBC, RDS, Team 1200

delchief

Jun 10, 2006
He's the only D who exerted some muscles and knocked guys off the puck in the D zone.

Yeah, why is that? Seriously, I don't expect Gonchar or Karlsson to be that physical. What's Phillips' excuse? Or Lundin? Or Wiercioch?

If they're not "that type of player" then what type of player are they and why do we have so many of them? Lundin in particular I don't get. Lundin and Benoit. Pick one and replace with Gryba or Boro. That's all I ask. Give us another element back there. Because I've got the formula for beating Ottawa - forecheck like crazy on any of their defenseman not named Karlsson or Methot.

Too many of the same type of player results in a gradual decrease in overall effectiveness. We get worn out, can't push back, and can't finish in the 3rd period.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
What a ****ing disgrace but this is what life without Spezza was always going to be. Forces our centers up a spot in the depth chart where they're not comfortable.

Spezza or no Spezza that was pathetic. The mental errors, puck bobbling and overall lack of effort means no one was prepared for this hockey game. Second worst defensive team in the NHL with a backup goalie and you get shut out on home ice?

No one fights, no one gets in the goalies way, no one finishes checks just a terrible effort.

Bishop, Methot, Wiercioch, Dacosta all showed up but thats it.

I hope we dont see Lundin dressed barring massive injury problems he maybe rusty but in this 48 game season when our other d men are playing well thats just tough luck for him.

jasonjim

Nov 1, 2006
OTTAWA
Methot played well. He was left alone to defend quite often both in front of the net and along the boards. He's the only D who exerted some muscles and knocked guys off the puck in the D zone. I'm still happy about that trade even though it cost us Foligno.

I agree. Methot played well and worked hard, as did Wiercoch, but the whole team has to work hard if they want a chance to win.

HavlatMach9

streamable 3rah1
Mar 17, 2011
Ottawa
We're a lottery team without Spezza + a goalie. As we still have Anderson, we will not be terrible like this all the time. We'll have problems scoring from time to time, but still hoping for playoffs.

Tundraman

ModerationIsKey
Feb 13, 2010
North
Yeah, why is that? Seriously, I don't expect Gonchar or Karlsson to be that physical. What's Phillips' excuse? Or Lundin? Or Wiercioch?

If they're not "that type of player" then what type of player are they and why do we have so many of them? Lundin in particular I don't get. Lundin and Benoit. Pick one and replace with Gryba or Boro. That's all I ask. Give us another element back there. Because I've got the formula for beating Ottawa - forecheck like crazy on any of their defenseman not named Karlsson or Methot.

Too many of the same type of player results in a gradual decrease in overall effectiveness. We get worn out, can't push back, and can't finish in the 3rd period.

They've needed a physical genuine right D since the beginning of the season yet never gave Gryba a sniff instead they brought up 3 left shooting D (I know Benoit can play right but he's a leftie). I never understood that.

jasonjim

Nov 1, 2006
OTTAWA

You make some good points which I support. Other teams play in our end without any fear, and for the most part control the boards. That is how they beat Ottawa.

delchief

Jun 10, 2006
I get that it's a style thing. They want guys generating offense from the d-zone. They want good skaters and passers. Ok, got it. So why Lundin again?

Ok, maybe he gets better. We'll see. But we seem to put these players in tough positions in terms of expectations. Lundin doesn't play the PP. He don't hit anything. He's not big and doen't seem to block an inordinate number of shots. His passing and up-ice playmaking is suspect so far. If he doesn't get that last part right then how is he helping the team win games? Because as a fan I'd at least like to see some of the other team's guys hit the ice once in a while and think twice about entering our zone with impunity. Especially if we're going to lose anyway.

Man do we miss Cowen. Why did we choose to replace his skill-set with some sort of weird Lundin/Wiercioch/Benoit combo? That's square peg in a round hole territory.....

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa
They've needed a physical genuine right D since the beginning of the season yet never gave Gryba a sniff instead they brought up 3 left shooting D (I know Benoit can play right but he's a leftie). I never understood that.

Gryba's skating wouldn't be much of an asset to this team. Its great to be able to push guys around in front of your net and boards but this team is built around the transition game hence Wiercioch, Gonchar, Lundin etc.

jasonjim

Nov 1, 2006
OTTAWA
Getting so sick of Smith and his dumb surprised look when he takes his once-a-game penalty.

Da Costa definitely looked solid.

Smith ,along with Greening, isn't playing with desperation and aggressiveness like they both did last year. They are both liabilities.

harvey

Jun 5, 2006
Ottawa
Our point this year is not to win. Winning will be exceptional, and great to see.
YOU may GASP at this concept, but I believe it to be true.
The point is training young players to become better as
we enter our last year of rebuilding.

All the comments about player A and player B from game to game are
in many ways irrelevent.

We have one of the lowest payrolls in the league for a reason.

I am very happy with where the Sens are going.

:)

pepty

Let's win it all
Feb 22, 2005
Gryba's skating wouldn't be much of an asset to this team. Its great to be able to push guys around in front of your net and boards but this team is built around the transition game hence Wiercioch, Gonchar, Lundin etc.

Lundin looked better in his first game than he did tonight. He might be well served by a conditioning stint in Bingo and maybe they should bring Gryba up for a few games.

delchief

Jun 10, 2006
Its great to be able to push guys around in front of your net and boards but this team is built around the transition game hence Wiercioch, Gonchar, Lundin etc.

Totally get that. So how is Lundin helping the transition game? Has that been a hallmark of his career as a 7th d-man for Tampa and Minny? He's never scored many points. Doesn't hit anyone. How is he helping us by simply playing a lot of minutes in below-average fashion? If he has some deft puck-handling skills then I'd love to see them. So far he looks like he handles the puck like a grenade. Wasn't that the knock on Boro?

I know it's only been two games. I'm ok waiting a bit. But my concern is that we're waiting for this player to do something that he has seemingly never done.

Why not be a team that has that nice blend of skill and toughness? Like last year's team only with an even more mature Karlsson. Because I liked that team. They were a tough beat.

Deku

I'm off the planet
Nov 5, 2011
Ottawa
Well that was embarrassing.

The Sens have scored a total of zero goals and allowed a whopping total of two goals in the last two games I've been to. :help:

Tundraman

ModerationIsKey
Feb 13, 2010
North

Although he's not as good a fighter, he's no Carkner for foot speed, he hits more and he's a better defender. Some of the D need to be able to play tough minutes and handle the hard fore check. You need both types of players to handle different parts of the game. Cowen getting injured really messed up the D toi and physicality. Cowen and Methot on the left with Phillips / Weir playing lesser minutes will be fine next year. The problem is the right side after Karlsson there is no one except Gryba. I hope Bryan or Tim Murray is on the phone asking Richardson to play Borocop on the right for a while. Even if he recovers his play a bit I really don't want Gonchar back.

2CHAINZ

Feb 27, 2008
I don't understand did everyone get the memo when Murray mentioned a rebuild? I was there i got it and it has been discussed in length on this board. We have a spectacular surprising season last year and now this year in a shortened season full of sooooo many variables, a bunch of you lose your mind ? I don't get it we are rebuilding, we are not a top tier team competing for the cup plain and simple. Why can't we let the kids develop and play their hearts out, end the season, hit the draft and FA and go from there ?

People need to relax just enjoy hockey is back win or lose I am stoked to be watching the sens again. But what do I know I am just the idiot guy who posts stupid pictures.

internetdotcom

11 + 15 + 19 = 666
Jun 23, 2009
Capital O
I was at the game today. Almost posted something before the game saying not to bother watching, as we always lose when I go to a game. Turns out that would have been a favour to you all. LOL

Sens were flat out there. Nice to see the refs call the game pretty fairly today though.

I don't understand did everyone get the memo when Murray mentioned a rebuild? I was there i got it and it has been discussed in length on this board. We have a spectacular surprising season last year and now this year in a shortened season full of sooooo many variables, a bunch of you lose your mind ? I don't get it we are rebuilding, we are not a top tier team competing for the cup plain and simple. Why can't we let the kids develop and play their hearts out, end the season, hit the draft and FA and go from there ?

People need to relax just enjoy hockey is back win or lose I am stoked to be watching the sens again. But what do I know I am just the idiot guy who posts stupid pictures.

This (minus the 'idiot guy who posts stupid pictures' part). I wish people understood that. Just starting a rebuild last year, making the playoffs was the exception, not the rule. We are not going to be a perennial Cup contender for at least a few more years. Not to mention the prolonged absence of our #1 center and, arguably, best player. Just ask Leaf fans what the lack of a 1C will do to a team.

Let's just keep this in mind, watch our team, enjoy the hockey, and hope for a good pickup in the draft, and progress next year.

pt_mck

Jul 1, 2005
Ottawa
Our point this year is not to win. Winning will be exceptional, and great to see.
YOU may GASP at this concept, but I believe it to be true.
The point is training young players to become better as
we enter our last year of rebuilding.

All the comments about player A and player B from game to game are
in many ways irrelevent.

We have one of the lowest payrolls in the league for a reason.

I am very happy with where the Sens are going.

:)

Whut? That doesn't make sense

The sens sucked there is no excuse for that poor level of effort

delchief

Jun 10, 2006
Let's just keep this in mind, watch our team, enjoy the hockey, and hope for a good pickup in the draft, and progress next year.

I know you guys mean well with this statement but I absolutely ABHOR this type of thinking. I pray that it isn't shared by Sens management.

I agree that you don't overreact to one game. But you try to win ALL the time. You never stop. You don't relax and say "Well, we're rebuilding. It's ok to lose because we'll get plenty of chances at a Cup in later years when everything's perfect. Because the rest of the league really does care that we need <fill in the blank> years until we're perfect. Also, it's fine wasting the prime years of a Spezza and a Karlsson because... well.... we're rebuilding! Lastly, no team has EVER surprised people and won a Cup when they weren't supposed to. They always follow a strict schedule that everyone agrees upon which says this is how long our rebuild will take and then we'll be great! Because as you know championships are handed to the team who's the most deserving based on the timeline of their rebuild plan."

There is no tomorrow. Win. That doesn't mean selling all your young players and giving away picks for vets. But it does mean a mindset that never EVER accepts losing. The Sens did that in their early years. They even deliberately tanked at the end of the '92/'93 season so they could pick Alexandre Daigle in the draft. Karma??

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad