GDT: Sens vs Jets|Feb 9th 2PM|CBC, RDS, Team 1200

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
I could comment several posts but just going to generalize saying that this thread looks like a collective suicidal sect.

Reading the board, you'd think the Sens got absolutely destroyed and didn't even had 1 scoring chance, then you go check all the highlights from NHL.com and etc, and you see a 1-0 game where both goalies were very good. Al Montoya hasn't reached the NHL by luck. He's not the best goalie out there but he sure can put solid performances like he did saturday

I missed the game as I was gone for 3 days so maybe they really sucked overall but it still feels like a massive overeaction after seeing the highlights. Some games are boring, what can you do about it?

It sucks that the Sens aren't scoring more, but they are 2nd in NHL for goals against. It seems like they are doing the opposite of last year : they are sacrificing a bit of offense to be tighter defensively. Yes, our goalies are very very good but we give a lot of perimeter shots instead of high quality chances like we did last year, it's not even close.

Thought Bishop, DaCosta and Wiercoch were the only ones who played decent today, rest looked like they didnt want to hustle to get the anything going.

And Greening and Michalek can't get much done without Spezza, maybe it's time to call some young forward up from bingo or something to get some competition going.. wouldn't hurt..

Like Zibanejad or Da Costa? Ya it would be a good idea... Wait... ?

Not many other options... Stone, Petersson and Hoffman are injured, Prince and Pageau are still too raw. Grant wouldn't have a big impact right away

Maybe we haven't been watching the same team. The only legit game we've deserved to win since Spezza has been injured is the game in Montreal where we won 5 - 1...and that was largely just a special teams clinic.

Washington, Carolina, Montreal, Buffalo, Carolina and now tonight. We've looked terrible in all of those games as a whole (even with Karlsson playing out of his mind) and those are all middle to low end teams at best.

???

Montreal : they lost 2-1 despite a disallowed goal that should have been a good one (everyone would agree except the ref). I thought that game was pretty fair. Montreal 1st goal was lucky and Andy misplayed it on their 2nd. Shots were 33-32 for the Sens and Montreal had to block 25 other shots (vs 12 for the Sens)

Buffalo : Wasn't andy best game but we were leading 4-1 at some point, it was a pretty easy win if you ask me... Shots 24-23 for the Sens, and Sabres had to block 5 more than the Sens

Carolina : absolutely dominated them, just that Cam Ward had the best goalie performance I have seen this year (and a bit of luck). Doesn't shock me, he's a very good goalie.

I'm not sure what you guys are expecting from a rebuilding team... Personally, my expectations are on par, I like what I'm seeing from a very young team missing his best forward and probably 2nd best D-man. I just hope they are going to score a little bit more, even if they have to sacrifice a bit of defense to do it

Yeah I was in the middle of posting about that. We've looked good in 1 of 7 games since Spezza has been out, and it was a game that was spent mostly on the PK or PP. Nothing really indicative of our play. As the sample grows we're really going to see how bad this team is without Spezza.

Posters that know what is going already KNOW how important Spezza is to this team. You don't have to use that much bias or exagerate that much to help your argument, that has been "troll created" anyway. Don't worry about them

OF COURSE, our offense is carried by Spezza. Any team without its first line center should struggle. It forces the 2nd line center and other centers to face tougher competition. Thing is he is by far our best playmaker... Without Spezza, it's about a 0.5 goals less per game (over a bunch of games it hurts a lot)

Last edited:

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
Totally get that. So how is Lundin helping the transition game? Has that been a hallmark of his career as a 7th d-man for Tampa and Minny? He's never scored many points. Doesn't hit anyone. How is he helping us by simply playing a lot of minutes in below-average fashion? If he has some deft puck-handling skills then I'd love to see them. So far he looks like he handles the puck like a grenade. Wasn't that the knock on Boro?.

Have you been to MAK's school? I'm afraid you'll have to do it all again then...

On an another note, the perception of what a NHL D-man should be is a bit undiscovered for several Sens fans. It's basically you are Erik Karlsson or Anton Volchenkov in his prime, or YOU SUCK

I know you guys mean well with this statement but I absolutely ABHOR this type of thinking. I pray that it isn't shared by Sens management.

I agree that you don't overreact to one game. But you try to win ALL the time. You never stop. You don't relax and say "Well, we're rebuilding. It's ok to lose because we'll get plenty of chances at a Cup in later years when everything's perfect. Because the rest of the league really does care that we need <fill in the blank> years until we're perfect. Also, it's fine wasting the prime years of a Spezza and a Karlsson because... well.... we're rebuilding! Lastly, no team has EVER surprised people and won a Cup when they weren't supposed to. They always follow a strict schedule that everyone agrees upon which says this is how long our rebuild will take and then we'll be great! Because as you know championships are handed to the team who's the most deserving based on the timeline of their rebuild plan."

There is no tomorrow. Win. That doesn't mean selling all your young players and giving away picks for vets. But it does mean a mindset that never EVER accepts losing. The Sens did that in their early years. They even deliberately tanked at the end of the '92/'93 season so they could pick Alexandre Daigle in the draft. Karma??

lol, you're totally right, except that it is impossible to go pick up Sidney Crosby at the airport just like that, just because we WANT to win.

There's a thing called reality, but apparently it seems very abstract for a lot of people.

If you think Sens management, coaching staff and players don't play to win, you need to get your head checked asap. You don't have to be ashamed if that's the case, a good portion of the population have mental health problems. That's what happens in a messed up world.

BM is not no dummy he will react..

Ya he would be stupid not too...

Habs too should react... I mean they lost 6-0, trade EVERYBODY!

LOL how so? If Karlsson is our best player we will never win the cup..Question for you in all the years you followed hockey when was the best d-man the best player on its team to win a cup?..Karlsson is the best d-man in hockey today and Spezz is a top 10 C then after that what?? Kids? not fair to them...Make a damn trade.

lol ever heard about Nicklas Lidstrom?

You are very entertaining by the way, keep it going!

Didn't check to see if anyone said this but it's not just one game, Sens have won only 1 of their last 5.

Well, to be fair they had a 1-3-1 record in that span
They lost two games 1-0 and another 2-1, even though they scored a tying goal that should have been good. Lost another in Overtime even though we did everything to win the game

Not bad for a cold streak. We have been outscored 10-7 in that span! The world is falling

This is not directed to you, but I'm wondering as what will happen when they go on a 5 wins streak, they will be the next Cup winners?

God Says No

Mar 16, 2012
i think the most disturbing thing about this team is that i don't get the same sense as last year. you know the cardiac kids, the hard working crew no matter what, the comebacks, etc.

they seemed to be flat-lining. that is the reason why i think people are panicking more than usual.

The Professional

Sens Army Special Operations Command
Dec 4, 2005
Aylmer, Québec
i think the most disturbing thing about this team is that i don't get the same sense as last year. you know the cardiac kids, the hard working crew no matter what, the comebacks, etc.

they seemed to be flat-lining. that is the reason why i think people are panicking more than usual.
The difference is this team had jam last year, it had character. When down a goal, A guy like Foligno would go around stirring things up, or Carkner would go out there and clean some clocks, or Cowen would smear someone, etc. Now this team is totally soft and boring to watch except when Karlsson has the puck. It's disheartening and incomprehensible that Murray would just gut all this team's jam and replace it with useless plugs like Latendresse or Lundin. I'm still scratching my head as to why Boro was sent down. Just an indication of the type of mentality we have this year I guess. This blows, it sure as hell isn't with that kind of style and mentality that we beat the odds last year and made it to game 7 against NYR.

HavlatMach9

streamable 3rah1
Mar 17, 2011
Ottawa
A guy like Foligno would go around stirring things up
Goalie interference? He was good at that.
Carkner would go out there and clean some clocks
He hardly played. Was a non factor except for a few games in the playoffs (though it was much appreciated)
Cowen would smear someone,
He's injured.
Latendresse or Lundin.
Lundin was brought in to be on the third playing, and has played a grand total of two games. Latendresse was cheap, we're a rebuilding team. If not him, it would have be no one else.
I'm still scratching my head as to why Boro was sent down.
Why are people so hot and bothered by bottom 6 players and 3rd pairing defensemen?

that kind of style and mentality that we beat the odds last year and made it to game 7 against NYR.
Last year's success was due to Jason Spezza being healthy.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->