Low Effort GDT Sens vs Jet Planes | B-Squad Edition | Tue Sep 27th 8PM | TSN5

SensFactor

Oct 25, 2008
Ottawa
If we could get Formenton back that would be a boost for the bottom 6. I assume Motte would fall to the 4th line

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Funny seeing the differing opinions on JBD and Lassi. I thought JBD was pretty good. Didn't notice any mistakes (again, I missed large chunks). Lassi on the other hand had two noticeable blunders in his own end (one led to a goal). But Lassi moves well and has good offensive skills. I like both but I thought JBD was better last night.
They were playing different roles last night and I think that if you view them through the lens of the roles they were playing, both had decent outings

Reactions: Cosmix

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
Thoroughly enjoyed that game and the promise it showed.

Guenette, JBD, Thomson were as indistinguishable, or better, than Brannstrom (the only NHLer) . That is a compliment against stiff, albeit rusty, competition. Had a tough couple plays but I still like Heatherington too.

Up front, as much as I like Kastelic, he is the type of guy this team needs to hide, err, develop, in Belleville. He absolutely can make this team, but this team needs depth.

And personally I would take Brassard over Gambrell. Why would you keep Gambrell, good at his role, over Brassard who is good in his role and can play up the lineup as further injury insulation? We have to get away from the Bishops and Logan Shaws and have guys like Greig and Kastelic come up instead

bicboi64

Aug 13, 2020
Brampton
Loving the chemistry between Motte and Pinto, makes it easier for DJ to plan the line up and strategy if Formenton doesn't sign before the season.

Heck if we can trade for someone like Chychrun with a package involving Formenton, Brann (who is just falling more and more down the depth chart), and a draft pick, go for it

Reactions: DrEasy

Big Muddy

Dec 15, 2019
Still worried about our RD ...but I'm getting a bowl of mint chocolate chip icecream 🍦
I must admit, so am I. I didn't see a whole lot of good stuff in last night's game from JBD or Thomson. There's still time, but the runway is getting a little shorter for sure. Ice cream was a good idea, LOL.

Reactions: SensFactor

Union2017

Welcome to Ottawa, Michael Andlauer.
Feb 23, 2018
Ottawa
Thoroughly enjoyed that game and the promise it showed.

Guenette, JBD, Thomson were as indistinguishable, or better, than Brannstrom (the only NHLer) . That is a compliment against stiff, albeit rusty, competition. Had a tough couple plays but I still like Heatherington too.

Up front, as much as I like Kastelic, he is the type of guy this team needs to hide, err, develop, in Belleville. He absolutely can make this team, but this team needs depth.

And personally I would take Brassard over Gambrell. Why would you keep Gambrell, good at his role, over Brassard who is good in his role and can play up the lineup as further injury insulation? We have to get away from the Bishops and Logan Shaws and have guys like Greig and Kastelic come up instead

Agree about Brassard vs Gambrell. However, what's Gambrell's contract right now?

Boud

Dec 27, 2011
Tkachuk - Pinto - Giroux
Debrincat - Stutzle - Joseph
Formenton - Norris - Batherson

Reasoning behind this lineup:

Line 1: All three guys who can play the game both ways and play hard. Would be very tough to handle and reliable. Tkachuk forechecks, Pinto and Giroux are both well rounded and 1-timer options.

2: Stutzle and Debrincat will have the puck most of the time. They need someone who will hound and retrieve the puck for them and that can play with speed and patience with the puck. That guy is Joseph. That line would get favourable matchups.

3: The Belleville line. Already have proven chemistry together and Norris-Batherson are a great duo. Formenton forechecks, Batherson and Norris are shooting options.

Motte - Kastelic - Kelly

Agree with that line, swap Kelly and Motte, whatever. That would be a great forechecking line.

The one issue I see with this lineup is Stutzle's faceoffs.

TheNewEra

Jul 10, 2013
If we could get Formenton back that would be a boost for the bottom 6. I assume Motte would fall to the 4th line

At this stage with how that third line is playing formenton would need to start on the 4th line and either play his way up or wait for the 3rd line to underperform

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Be great to get Troy Mann's trained eye eval on this game where the young inexperienced D had to match up against a lot of the best the Jets could throw at them.

At this stage with how that third line is playing formenton would need to start on the 4th line and either play his way up or wait for the 3rd line to underperform

He should take a cheap 1 year deal and get in there .. Formenton should be able to out produce Motte's career high 9 goals.

TheNewEra

Jul 10, 2013
Be great to get Troy Mann's trained eye eval on this game where the young inexperienced D had to match up against a lot of the best the Jets could throw at them.

He should take a cheap 1 year deal and get in there .. Formenton should be able to out produce Motte's career high 9 goals.
He should be able to I agree

If he signed earlier i think Formenton would have had the 3rd line spot and it would be his to lose but now circumstances have changed and he is losing more leverage

Big Muddy

Dec 15, 2019

What would a one-year deal look like $ wise? I'm guessing something around $1.2 - 1.6 m range, but not sure. Any ideas?

Hun

Apr 8, 2019
When he plays 27 minutes a game against the other teams best players. While typically partnered with a player that doesn't belong in that role and sometimes in the league at all? On a completely overmatched roster? Not really the same thing.
Brannstrom 23:24 TOI was paired with an AHL player. And... played better in the defensive zone than Chabot.

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
JBD and Thomson both showed very well last night in their roles. I prefer JBDs game but then I don’t care about what he does in the offensive zone so that could explain why, at one point he had Lowry coming down on his outside with speed and he had a nice pivot and had enough strength to keep Lowry from cutting in. He didn’t have the strength to do that against a big guy last year. Thomson showed much better awareness in his own zone than he did last year even though his partner had a tough night.

Brannstrom is not in competition with either JBD or Thomson, his only competition for playing time is Holden.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Brannstrom 23:24 TOI was paired with an AHL player. And... played better in the defensive zone than Chabot.
When?.... When was he better than Chabot? If you are referring to last night Chabot didn't play and Brannstrom wasn't very good in his own zone either. He can't clear the front of the net. He can't pin a guy and he can't skate it out.

That was an exhibition game. What stage are you referring to? He is quite clearly a much better player than Motte. It's pretty obvious why he hasn't signed.

Last edited:

HSF

Sep 3, 2008
brandon bochenski

pre season means nothing

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
That 3rd line of Motte Pinto and Joseph is going to be fun to watch

Imagine it with Formenton. Firmly believe it will be among the best 3rd lines in the league as soon as next year and X-Factor line in cup drive 1-3 years from now.

He closed on Ehlers hard one time cutting off the gap at the blue line when it looked like 27 was going to blow by any other defender. I maintain he should be tried with Chabot this pre season. His skating is so much better than any of the other RD. Their collective gap control should be very effective in the neutral zone and turning pucks up ice.

Yup. I mean... Chabot himself freaking said Thomson is already top 4 capable or singing his praises highly. Guy knows whatsup. Thomson looks to have gotten better from the stint prior.

Chabot-Thomson/Hamonic
Sanderson-Zub
Holden-Hamonic/Thomson

Will be our preferred and playoff worthy top 4. Likely to get another top 4 to make a push.

I really hope Brannstrom proves me wrong, but I have seen too many negatives in defensive zone getting pushed over. I'll give him another 20 games(likely frustrated by game 10).

Reactions: Alex1234 and bert

Answer

Dec 17, 2006
Edmonton
Reasoning behind this lineup:

Line 1: All three guys who can play the game both ways and play hard. Would be very tough to handle and reliable. Tkachuk forechecks, Pinto and Giroux are both well rounded and 1-timer options.

2: Stutzle and Debrincat will have the puck most of the time. They need someone who will hound and retrieve the puck for them and that can play with speed and patience with the puck. That guy is Joseph. That line would get favourable matchups.

3: The Belleville line. Already have proven chemistry together and Norris-Batherson are a great duo. Formenton forechecks, Batherson and Norris are shooting options.

Motte - Kastelic - Kelly

Agree with that line, swap Kelly and Motte, whatever. That would be a great forechecking line.

The one issue I see with this lineup is Stutzle's faceoffs.

Switch up Batherson and Joseph and we are good. I am not wasting Batherson's creativity with 2 tunnel vision players

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $2,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $354.00