Low Effort GDT Sens vs Jet Planes | B-Squad Edition | Tue Sep 27th 8PM | TSN5

Alex1234

Oct 14, 2014
Tkachuk - Pinto - Giroux
Debrincat - Stutzle - Joseph
Formenton - Norris - Batherson
1-Stutzle needs a face-off alternative on his line
2-Thats asking for cap trouble with a 8MM$ centre line down the road (Don't know if it would be possible cap wise)

But other then that it looks like a Cup contending top 9

Reactions: guyzeur and Boud

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Tkachuk-Norris-Joseph
Formenton-Stu-Giroux (gives Stu a speedy partner that he had chemistry with and face-off help)
Cat-Pinto-Batherson
Formenton and Stu had really good chemistry last year, I was thinking these could be some really interesting lines too. Tkachuk-Norris-Joseph were good together. Batherson can really dish it would be a good fit with Debrincat.

Reactions: Cosmix and aragorn

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
Loving the chemistry between Motte and Pinto, makes it easier for DJ to plan the line up and strategy if Formenton doesn't sign before the season.

Heck if we can trade for someone like Chychrun with a package involving Formenton, Brann (who is just falling more and more down the depth chart), and a draft pick, go for it
I want to retain Formenton to give us a more offensive and dangerous and fast 3rd line.

I am not certain that Chychrun would be the RD we need who can stay healthy so I am souring on a deal for him.

Reactions: aragorn

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
Thomson was really not all that good last night yet you have a bunch of people putting him on our first pairing to start the year.

Classic HF Sens lol.
Agreed

Zub is playing with Chabot, not sure why people are moving him around. If Lassi makes the team he’ll play third pairing with Holden to start the season.

There is no way we roll with two rookies on any pairing, and we have Sanderson and Hamonic as a pretty much guarantee for the second pairing.

That leaves Bran and Lassi, and they won’t play together on a pair in my opinion.

As for last night I thought Lassi was good, especially when he was skating with the puck.

Reactions: Cosmix

bicboi64

Aug 13, 2020
Brampton
I want to retain Formenton to give us a more offensive and dangerous and fast 3rd line.

I am not certain that Chychrun would be the RD we need who can stay healthy so I am souring on a deal for him.
As much as I want to keep Formenton because its an absolute luxury to have a 20g threat from a penalty killer, if I have to pick between Formenton and Pinto in a package that goes to the yotes, I'll pick Formenton right now since we have a viable back up in Motte and adding JC can help make our D so much better, and the whole roster so much more balanced.

Reactions: Crosside and Bileur

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
Agree about Brassard vs Gambrell. However, what's Gambrell's contract right now?
Cheap one way...

As it stands right now, we have to plan like Formenton is coming back, because, he really has no choise.

lines 3 and 4

Formenton - Pinto - Joseph
Motte - Brassard - Watson

Gambrell

AHL

Kastelic, Greig, Kelly, Crookshank, (last year of a two way contract)

That is a great list of callups

Last edited:
Reactions: Cosmix

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
JC doesn’t make the roster balanced though. He’s an LD who didn’t have a good season trying to play RD.

We don’t need another LD. Sure we could use one on the third pair and try to even out 3 pairs, but in reality that’s not what we need.

To balance out the roster we need to fill the #4 RD spot, that is all. We really don’t need to give up a high quality forward prospect or young player to do that.

Given that this player will be riding shot gun to Sanderson, what we need is actually a solid defender in that position, and that type of player doesn’t cost that much in a trade.

Heck, one of a Tompson or JBD could become that guy for free, potentially even Kleven if he does well at RD.

Chycrun is a luxury player for this team at the moment, not a need, as he doesn’t effectively fill the hole we have on the back end. We shouldn’t be trading guys like Formy, Grieg, Pinto, for that kind of Luxury.

Again, he didn’t play well as an RD.

Cheap one way...

As it stands right now, we have to plan like Formenton is coming back, because, he really has no choise.

lines 3 and 4

Gambrell

AHL

Kastelic, Greig, Kelly (last year of a two way contract)

Yup, and while I love Kastelic’s potential as 4C, and he’s been pretty good so far, I don’t think he’s totally ready for full time prime time.

I think he needs big minutes and responsibility in the AHL, with lots of call ups this season to transition. I see him as being in the same situation as Crookshank; almost there, no need to rush.

Reactions: Alex1234 and Cosmix

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Thomson was really not all that good last night yet you have a bunch of people putting him on our first pairing to start the year.

Classic HF Sens lol.
Tough looking post considering you have been defending Brannstrom here when he clearly struggled alot more than Thomson. If you cant see why Thomson could be a good fit with Chabot thats just on your inability to see how NHL d men are capable of defending.

A. Thomson looked good with Chabot last year due to his skating and gap control ability. Getting up and down the ice with him.
B. What me and other posters have suggested is that he gets a look with Chabot in camp and eventually gets to that point not put him there right now.
C. Most people have Hamonic/Thomson up and down between Chabot and Holden.

Cheap one way...

lines 3 and 4

Gambrell

AHL

Kastelic, Greig, Kelly, Crookshank, (last year of a two way contract)

Brassard is not what we are looking for on the 4th line. Need either physicality, agitation or speed he brings none of that. Kastelic, and Kelly are way better fits.

Reactions: Cosmix and bicboi64

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
Tough looking post considering you have been defending Brannstrom here when he clearly struggled alot more than Thomson. If you cant see why Thomson could be a good fit with Chabot thats just on your inability to see how NHL d men are capable of defending.

A. Thomson looked good with Chabot last year due to his skating and gap control ability. Getting up and down the ice with him.
B. What me and other posters have suggested is that he gets a look with Chabot in camp and eventually gets to that point not put him there right now.
C. Most people have Hamonic/Thomson up and down between Chabot and Holden.

Brassard is not what we are looking for on the 4th line. Need either physicality, agitation or speed he brings none of that. Kastelic, and Kelly are way better fits.
Brassard is a savvy vet, and I am thinking injuries to key players and having a player like that on your club. Of course, Kastelic is a great fit on the 4th, but I can totally see the Sens sending them down to start the season...because they can

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Brassard is a savvy vet, and I am thinking injuries to key players and having a player like that on your club. Of course, Kastelic is a great fit on the 4th, but I can totally see the Sens sending them down to start the season...because they can
Fair but then they are on the hook for Brassards salary all year eats 1 million. Unless he is willing to sign a two way deal which I doubt. I just dont see the point, they have alot of organizational depth who are already better than him that are penciled into the AHL. Also dont want a disgruntled vet in the locker room.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Observations:
Pinto - I thought Pinto had a great night playing the #1 centre spot against a pretty good Jets NHL lineup. Not only is he going to be good defensively & at faceoffs we underestimate how good he can be offensively. Formenton had 32 pts last yr & with Pinto as his centre could easily hit 40 pts this yr, both could. We just need Joseph to pick up his offence on RW & add 30 or 40 pts too.

Kastelic - with Norris, Pinto & Kastelic at centre in future Ott should be very good at faceoffs especially with Giroux taking faceoffs for Stutzle too. Kastelic brings that big strong body that can skate, hit & fight. I really liked watching him & Boucher on the same line. The sooner this guy is in their lineup everyday the better the team will be.

JBD - I thought JBD had a pretty good game defensively, not flashy just steady solid defensive play. He could be the best partner for Sanderson once Hamonic ages out. I also thought offensively he made a couple of perfect wristers to the net about a foot off the ice, perfect for tips that coaches & players alike love.

Motte - he's a much better player than I thought, reminds me a lot of C. Brown without as much playmaking ability. He should be a very good addition for this young team especially on the PK.

Sokolov - I saw two races for pucks last night between Sokolov & two Jets players & it didn't look like Sokolov is as slow as people keep regurgitating. It looked to me like he can keep up with NHL speed just fine, he just needs to create the offence in the NHL that he has in the AHL consistently. I wouldn't mind seeing him on an offenive line.

Reinhardt - he's a bit of an under the radar type player with decent size & a nose for the net. He may have more potential than I initially thought, clearly a bottom six player but should add some depth there.

DylanSensFan

BEESHIP: NBH
Aug 3, 2010
Calgary
Imagine it with Formenton. Firmly believe it will be among the best 3rd lines in the league as soon as next year and X-Factor line in cup drive 1-3 years from now.

Yup. I mean... Chabot himself freaking said Thomson is already top 4 capable or singing his praises highly. Guy knows whatsup. Thomson looks to have gotten better from the stint prior.

Chabot-Thomson/Hamonic
Sanderson-Zub
Holden-Hamonic/Thomson

Will be our preferred and playoff worthy top 4. Likely to get another top 4 to make a push.

I really hope Brannstrom proves me wrong, but I have seen too many negatives in defensive zone getting pushed over. I'll give him another 20 games(likely frustrated by game 10).
You can look up my posts previous to the pre-season. I said Thomson will be top-4.

Reactions: ReginKarlssonLehner

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
Kelly has been underwhelming so far imo. Hope he hasn't become complacent
I mentioned this earlier, but there is no way he is allowed to play his regular game in preseason.

This is what he looks like without hitting everyone and everything at full speed all game.

Reminds me of Neil a little in preseason, some guys have to dial their game waaaay back.

Or as @Bileur mentioned maybe it’s injury related…

Bileur

Jun 15, 2004
Ottawa
Tough looking post considering you have been defending Brannstrom here when he clearly struggled alot more than Thomson.

I don’t think either really “struggled”, both made costly mistakes, but overall their games were pretty good against a far stronger opponent. Normally guys like JBD, Thomson and Brannstrom should be sheltered by a vet NHL’er. In this game, Brannstrom took the vet role, JBD was paired with at best an AHL call up, and Thomson was paired with a guy who looks bound for the AHL too. I think overall that was a positive outing considering the young guys were playing above their ideal slotting and paired with less than ideal partners.

I’d really like to see Thomson get a look with Chabot in the preseason. The Sens seem pretty committed to pairing him with Zub so I’m not convinced we’ll see it barring injury.

You had said in a thread on the trade board that you wouldn’t want to acquire Chychrun for an exorbitant price, preferring to see what we have internally and again I agree. I really like what we’re seeing from Lassi and JBD. Both continue to develop. Of course I’d rather they be even further ahead but I’m pretty confident they will be good internal replacements for Hamonic and Zaitsev next season barring injury. It might still make sense to trade one for a bigger immediate upgrade but the “plan B” of sticking with our guys seems pretty decent if they can extend Zub.

Bileur

Jun 15, 2004
Ottawa
I mentioned this earlier, but there is no way he is allowed to play his regular game in preseason.

This is what he looks like without hitting everyone and everything at full speed all game.

Reminds me of Neil a little in preseason, some guys have to dial their game waaaay back.

Or as @Bileur mentioned maybe it’s injury related…

If it’s him dialling it back that’s a bad decision. Neil may have dialled it back a little in the preseason as he got older but until he cemented his spot he was an absolute animal in the preseason.

Remember frosted tip Neil?

Last edited:
Reactions: Ice-Tray and Cosmix

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
Formenton and Stu had really good chemistry last year, I was thinking these could be some really interesting lines too. Tkachuk-Norris-Joseph were good together. Batherson can really dish it would be a good fit with Debrincat.
I like the fact that the team can run 3 offensive lines while juggling the players on the 3 lines in multiple ways. In any particular game, we could go with different combinations and use whichever combination is hot and has chemistry together.

If it’s him dialling it back that’s a bad decision. Neil may have dialled it back a little in the preseason as he got older but until he cemented his spot he was an absolute animal in the preseason.
He had to do it to show the coaches what he could do. All rookies should know that.

Reactions: Bileur

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad