Confirmed with Link: Sens re-sign Batherson to 6 year extension; 4.975 AAV

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
Yes! Habs won't be able to OS this one!

A 2 years bridge would have been around 3.0? Probably

Hmm... ok so that's more exact than my source who was reporting between 1 and 8 years? Where do you guys find these super sources?

At the Sun!

TheNewEra

Jul 10, 2013
Too much money for the guy who could not play defence at all. -17 last year. And very marginal offence. Kotkaniemi for example was at -1 in the same 56 games. It means Tkachuk is getting 5.5 million in a bridge deal. Which is not fair with the same atrocious -17 the last season, but palatable.

are you using plus minus to judge defence? What generation is this? don cherry is this you?

Also batherson was tied for 90th in scoring production for forwards last year. Which means he was producing as a top 6 forward. So marginal offence is a confusing statement and is just wrong. At least if you say Candyman i mean Colin White and we get our residential hater to start posting he has some actual arguments... come on now

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Too much money for the guy who could not play defence at all. -17 last year. And very marginal offence. Kotkaniemi for example was at -1 in the same 56 games. It means Tkachuk is getting 5.5 million in a bridge deal. Which is not fair with the same atrocious -17 the last season, but palatable.
Thank goodness this is your evaluation. Given your track record it makes me even more confident this was a great signing.

TheNewEra

Jul 10, 2013
I think "stellar" is a bit too much after obtaining DMZ and Holden as our only UFA signings.

MDZ was the only FA signing. Holden was traded for. While I would have liked someone better I rather we go for internal growth then a bad FA contract. I wouldnt be surprised if we get someone like Donato, Bozak, Gusev, Jankowski to fill our potential open spot.

Just throwing players together gives us at least 1 spot that is open:

Tkachuk-Norris-Batherson
Stutzle-White-C. Brown
Paul-Pinto-xxxx
Formenton-Tierney-Watson
Sherwood or Kelley as extras

Would prefer someone like Donato so we can get a bit of an added scoring punch

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
SENATOR, you need to drop the +/- usage. Your posts are still wildly entertaining but this makes it way too obvious that it is a parody. It reduces the efficiency.

Difference of opinion I guess. Like I said, if we have to deal guys because they won't re-sign here, so be it. Enforce the internal signing deadline and get as much trade value as soon as we can't reach an early deal. There's a risk of losing players that way, for sure, but there's also a risk to going long on term. So pick your poison, but given our budget a bad contract or two is enough to sink us. So I'd take my chances on the shorter deals (but try not to walk them straight out to UFA). For Bath, I might aim for a 2-3 year deal followed by a 3-4 year deal. It might cost more than this six year deal, but we're paying a premium for the added certainty, which is safer.

Like DrEasy said, you can't do that in a market like Ottawa as we are far from a favorite destination. UFAs will walk away more often than not. Even if you know in advance you won't be able to retain them, you will trade them from a position of weakness as pure rentals on expiring deals.

Basically, this is going the "Mark Stone way" on the regular. A recipe for disaster in a market like Ottawa.

What would be much smarter is going the Batherson way, try to have the player for the entirety of his 20's. Then try to extend the player if he is still healthy and going (and not pricing himself out of town I guess)

Perfect deal,think it will be 6 years for Brady as well ...5 to 6 great years then another rebuild...Thinking this is the new normal for teams under the cap

Nah... Look at Boston, Penguins, Tampa... etc

There's a norm for teams that know what they are doing AND have the possibility to spend money and then there's the rest.

If you're doing it right, you can contend for 10+ years.

Last edited:
Reactions: milkbag

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
Feels pretty fair for both sides....although that qualifying offer afterwards worries me a bit. But that's a long ways down the road.

playasRus

Mar 21, 2009
I really hope it's PD^2 offering 7x8, him asking for 8x8, they settle on 7.5x8.

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
I think "stellar" is a bit too much after obtaining DMZ and Holden as our only UFA signings.

I understand, but signing Batherson long term is hugeee. Just need Brady next. These the type of signings that keep teams contenders for long time when they get better production from players than their salary. I see Batherson as a 60 point guy with 70+ potential with a star C no doubt about it. 5 mil is baby food.

Carl Karlsson

Jan 15, 2021

LMAO, this is awesome SOA !!!
This signing is unbelievable , love that we will have Bath time for years to come. :naughty: He has been one of my favorite prospect to watch develop and is now one of my favorite player, and it's just the start as I think he will just keep improving.
Not the biggest fan of the backloaded contract but if they all hit at the same time, maybe it's a sign that Melnyk will spend (or even better sale) !! :D
Go Sens Go:popcorn:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad