Confirmed with Link: Sens re-sign Batherson to 6 year extension; 4.975 AAV

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
Yes! Habs won't be able to OS this one!

Beauty of a deal . I really like Batherson and this is a smokin' deal for the Sens.
The contract has an average annual value of $4.975 million and includes the following breakdown: $2.5M in 2021-22, $3.5M in 2022-23, $5.4M in 2023-24, $5.4M in 2024-25, $6.5M in 2025-26 and $6.55M in 2026-27.

A 2 years bridge would have been around 3.0? Probably

I'm hearing Tkachuk will sign a deal between 2 and 8 years.

Hmm... ok so that's more exact than my source who was reporting between 1 and 8 years? Where do you guys find these super sources?

Last edited:

dumbdick

Galactic Defender
May 31, 2008
I would have preferred the short deal since I hate taking gambles on term.

That said, I love Bath and I think he's only going to get better.

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
Batherson probably puts of +$2 million of positive value in both year 1 and 2 …

The Devilish Buffoon

🇵🇸 viva 🇵🇸 free 🇵🇸
Dec 24, 2018
I would have preferred the short deal since I hate taking gambles on term.

That said, I love Bath and I think he's only going to get better.

Top 100 in FWD points
Top 50 in FWD hits
T-148th in FWD TOI
T-128th in FWD cap hit
T-198th in FWD salary

Even if he totally plateaus, its a fine deal.

TheDebater

Peace be upon you
Mar 10, 2016
Ottawa
giphy.gif

About damn time, I hope this means that the bar has been set for Brady to come in around 7-8 million.

dumbdick

Galactic Defender
May 31, 2008
Top 100 in FWD points
Top 50 in FWD hits
T-148th in FWD TOI
T-128th in FWD cap hit
T-198th in FWD salary

Even if he totally plateaus, its a fine deal.
I think I've bought into the concept of just sticking with under 4-year deals at fair market value and avoiding all risk of Ryan/White type deals. I think if you look at most rosters, if you sum up all the little savings teams got by betting on term, it probably doesn't offset the occasional buyout or albatross contract.

Nothing against Bath, and I bet he lives up to this deal. If I'm Dorion I'd just keep all the deals shorter as a matter of team policy. I'd also force an early internal deadline for resigning, after which I'd be putting players up on the trade block. Flip side is I promise players fair market value and don't lowball anybody.

TheDebater

Peace be upon you
Mar 10, 2016
Ottawa
I think I've bought into the concept of just sticking with under 4-year deals at fair market value and avoiding all risk of Ryan/White type deals. I think if you look at most rosters, if you sum up all the little savings teams got by betting on term, it probably doesn't offset the occasional buyout or albatross contract.

Nothing against Bath, and I bet he lives up to this deal. If I'm Dorion I'd just keep all the deals shorter as a matter of team policy. I'd also force an early internal deadline for resigning, after which I'd be putting players up on the trade block. Flip side is I promise players fair market value and don't lowball anybody.

The Colin White contract is not even a problem. Is he over-paid, yes, is his contract hand-cuffing the team? Not even close.

Bobby Ryan on the other hand was a whole different story, the guy was making $7 million + and was only contributing 3rd line production, so that contract became a problem for sure, with a heft cap hit.

Batherson at under $5 million will never be a problem, even if his contribution remains static and he plateaus at a 3rd liner, it will be considered a useless overpayment but not enough to hurt the team....yet. I understand two bad contracts (White and Batherson) hypothetically would become an issue but at this point, Batherson's projection appears to be that of a great 2nd liner and low end 1st line winger.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada

Ottawa is not a market that can afford to gamble with short term deals that have players expire as UFA. If you want to be sure to retain players, you have to bridge and go long term after their ELCs or go long term right away after their ELC (Karlsson, White, Chabot, Batherson)

For Tkachuk and Batherson, 4 years would have led them to UFA, which would have been the worst contracts possible. 3 years would have created a Mark Stone situation, not ideal either.

It's really short bridge then long term or long term right away for us.

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
WHOOOT!

Drake jut has a feel to him, going to score some HUGE goals for this team.

Trent Mann making another cast off hockey player a multi-millionaire. If Trent Mann calls your name, you're almost guaranteed to be a millionaire. He's the Bob Barker of hockey.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad