Confirmed with Link: Sens re-sign Batherson to 6 year extension; 4.975 AAV

thinkwild

Veni Vidi Toga
Jul 29, 2003
Ottawa
Love the Drake. Looks like a fair deal. If he outperforms it then bonus. Again no ntc or nmc clauses and no signing bonuses? Sens manage to negotiate without giving them somehow.

Reactions: Senator Blutarsky

Langdon Alger

Apr 19, 2006
lol. i was at a wedding when Joe Carter hit his world series winning home run. Luckily there was a tv at the bar. It was more packed than the dance floor.

Yeah, that was on a Saturday if I remember correctly. To be fair, the couple wouldn’t have known that a World Series game would have been on that night when they picked that date. These things happen, but the Drake had no excuse.

Hate the Drake! :)

Reactions: thinkwild

TheDebater

Peace be upon you
Mar 10, 2016
Ottawa
Love the Drake. Looks like a fair deal. If he outperforms it then bonus. Again no ntc or nmc clauses and no signing bonuses? Sens manage to negotiate without giving them somehow.

Dorion is a master negotiator, here is some insider access to how his negotiations go down:

Batherson: "I want 7 million a year"

Dorion: "Drakey.....we're a team"

Batherson: "....."

Dorion: "we. are. a. team."

Batherson: "I'll accept $5 million a year if you never call me Drakey again"

Dorion: "$4.97 million, sign here please"

Agent Zub

Jan 2, 2015
great deal. could even turn into a steal.

gives me hope Brady's deal will be realistic as well.

OD99

Oct 13, 2012
Love this and am stoked to watch him develop over the next few seasons...seems like a great guy, absolutely loves to play hockey and has the feel of a clutch play-off guy.

After so long with not much to discuss this is fantastic on a variety of levels.

dumbdick

Galactic Defender
May 31, 2008
Ottawa is not a market that can afford to gamble with short term deals that have players expire as UFA. If you want to be sure to retain players, you have to bridge and go long term after their ELCs or go long term right away after their ELC (Karlsson, White, Chabot, Batherson)

For Tkachuk and Batherson, 4 years would have led them to UFA, which would have been the worst contracts possible. 3 years would have created a Mark Stone situation, not ideal either.

It's really short bridge then long term or long term right away for us.
Difference of opinion I guess. Like I said, if we have to deal guys because they won't re-sign here, so be it. Enforce the internal signing deadline and get as much trade value as soon as we can't reach an early deal. There's a risk of losing players that way, for sure, but there's also a risk to going long on term. So pick your poison, but given our budget a bad contract or two is enough to sink us. So I'd take my chances on the shorter deals (but try not to walk them straight out to UFA). For Bath, I might aim for a 2-3 year deal followed by a 3-4 year deal. It might cost more than this six year deal, but we're paying a premium for the added certainty, which is safer.

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
Perfect deal,think it will be 6 years for Brady as well ...5 to 6 great years then another rebuild...Thinking this is the new normal for teams under the cap

DrEasy

Out rumptackling
Oct 3, 2010
Stützville
I think I've bought into the concept of just sticking with under 4-year deals at fair market value and avoiding all risk of Ryan/White type deals. I think if you look at most rosters, if you sum up all the little savings teams got by betting on term, it probably doesn't offset the occasional buyout or albatross contract.

Nothing against Bath, and I bet he lives up to this deal. If I'm Dorion I'd just keep all the deals shorter as a matter of team policy. I'd also force an early internal deadline for resigning, after which I'd be putting players up on the trade block. Flip side is I promise players fair market value and don't lowball anybody.
You do this in markets that are appealing to free agents. We'd have trouble filling in a roster if we let everyone go after a short deal. We need to cling to people we already have.

Reactions: Alf Silfversson

DrEasy

Out rumptackling
Oct 3, 2010
Stützville
Why would players not want to be traded away from here? (I realize I'm channeling another frequent poster here)

InTkachukWeTrust

Nov 10, 2013
WHOOOT!

Drake jut has a feel to him, going to score some HUGE goals for this team.

Trent Mann making another cast off hockey player a multi-millionaire. If Trent Mann calls your name, you're almost guaranteed to be a millionaire. He's the Bob Barker of hockey.

Trent Mann is a very knowledgeable, we’re lucky to have him.

I always enjoyed his takes on scouting.

SENATOR

Feb 6, 2004
Ottawa
Too much money for the guy who could not play defence at all. -17 last year. And very marginal offence. Kotkaniemi for example was at -1 in the same 56 games. It means Tkachuk is getting 5.5 million in a bridge deal. Which is not fair with the same atrocious -17 the last season, but palatable.

Flamingo

Nov 13, 2008
Ottawa
Too much money for the guy who could not play defence at all. -17 last year. And very marginal offence. Kotkaniemi for example was at -1 in the same 56 games. It means Tkachuk is getting 5.5 million in a bridge deal. Which is not fair with the same atrocious -17 the last season, but palatable.

you're using +/- to compare someone on this tram to someone on another team?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad