Confirmed with Link: Sens re-sign Batherson to 6 year extension; 4.975 AAV

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
MDZ was the only FA signing. Holden was traded for. While I would have liked someone better I rather we go for internal growth then a bad FA contract. I wouldnt be surprised if we get someone like Donato, Bozak, Gusev, Jankowski to fill our potential open spot.

Just throwing players together gives us at least 1 spot that is open:

Tkachuk-Norris-Batherson
Stutzle-White-C. Brown
Paul-Pinto-xxxx
Formenton-Tierney-Watson
Sherwood or Kelley as extras

Would prefer someone like Donato so we can get a bit of an added scoring punch

I knew Holden was part of a trade and meant to say that but my exuberance to post took over and voila!

Reactions: TheNewEra

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
LMAO, this is awesome SOA !!!
This signing is unbelievable , love that we will have Bath time for years to come. :naughty: He has been one of my favorite prospect to watch develop and is now one of my favorite player, and it's just the start as I think he will just keep improving.
Not the biggest fan of the backloaded contract but if they all hit at the same time, maybe it's a sign that Melnyk will spend (or even better sale) !! :D
Go Sens Go:popcorn:
I feel the same . I really like the player and he seems like a very down to earth guy with his head on straight.

Reactions: Carl Karlsson

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
Signing Batherson at an AAV of about $5M per for 6 years is a good signing IMO. Hopefully he will perform at that $5M level over the 6 year term. No objection from me to this. Rather pay him $5M per than an old aging vet over 30.

Reactions: Carl Karlsson

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
I'm literally haunted by all the "White is in best shape of his life" conversation at camp last year just to see my guy freaking scratched opening night/beginning of season.

RAFI BOMB

May 11, 2016
I'm literally haunted by all the "White is in best shape of his life" conversation at camp last year just to see my guy freaking scratched opening night/beginning of season.
Well Batherson spends his offseasons training with Crosby, Marchand and Mackinnon so there is a different benchmark in place.

With White whatever shape he was in didn't really translate to on ice performance. He had put on some muscle mass but I don't remember him looking much stronger on the ice than the season before. Maybe his endurance was better.

It is probably also a good idea to keep in mind that "best shape of his life" doesn't mean that the player is in ideal or optimal shape. Maybe that was this issue with White. Maybe he was in better shape but not optimal shape.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Well Batherson spends his offseasons training with Crosby, Marchand and Mackinnon so there is a different benchmark in place.

With White whatever shape he was in didn't really translate to on ice performance. He had put on some muscle mass but I don't remember him looking much stronger on the ice than the season before. Maybe his endurance was better.

It is probably also a good idea to keep in mind that "best shape of his life" doesn't mean that the player is in ideal or optimal shape. Maybe that was this issue with White. Maybe he was in better shape but not optimal shape.

He was visibly stronger

Reactions: DrEasy

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
That part is fine, just don't act like an egotistical ass about it when we all know you're just spoon fed the info.

The mechanism that Mendes vs Garrioch use to get their info is very similar. They ask questions and/or are told info they ultimately share.

Who cares if PD uses Garrioch to float some stuff ? What do you want him to do ? Post it on his own Twitter account? He’s chosen an outlet that he trusts won’t spin the info he gets in the negative way many of the other journalists in Ottawa do.

OgieO

May 17, 2006
Halifax
Batherson always works hard, he's local to me and its very well known that he's working hard every off-season (and gets in a lot of golf too :) ). Two seasons ago he seemed to put in a lot of extra weight training and got really bulky. Only a personal opinion but i think it slowed him down a bit that year and was a factor in being sent down - but that is purely my own opinion. I saw him this summer and he's still a big dude for sure but hearing he's working with Andy O'Brien is great news as he will get expert advice and should have his body in peak hockey condition.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
That's very good news regarding Batherson!

Do you know who else was in The Best Shape Of His Life™ at last season training camp???

Artem Anisimov!

His confidence was rattled right off the hop again .. 2nd year in a row. Played thru some injuries again as well.. He should have a more positive start this year.

He was scratched for the first game of the season and only played 2 of the first 6 games. For a player that needed a big bounce back season, it was certainly not a confidence vote... I like DJ but he's no Guy Boucher in terms of sports psychology (Guy Boucher has a master degree in sports psychology)

Reactions: Emrasie

Flamingo

Nov 13, 2008
Ottawa
Batherson always works hard, he's local to me and its very well known that he's working hard every off-season (and gets in a lot of golf too :) ). Two seasons ago he seemed to put in a lot of extra weight training and got really bulky. Only a personal opinion but i think it slowed him down a bit that year and was a factor in being sent down - but that is purely my own opinion. I saw him this summer and he's still a big dude for sure but hearing he's working with Andy O'Brien is great news as he will get expert advice and should have his body in peak hockey condition.

I agree, bulking up isn't the best for hockey training.

Did anyone read the article on Matthews's off-season training in 2020? He shed weight, had the goal of becoming more agile. Even in men's league, I play better when I've been running and biking as well as doing a bit of strength training. When I only squat and bench, my speed and endurance suffer.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
I agree, bulking up isn't the best for hockey training.

Did anyone read the article on Matthews's off-season training in 2020? He shed weight, had the goal of becoming more agile. Even in men's league, I play better when I've been running and biking as well as doing a bit of strength training. When I only squat and bench, my speed and endurance suffer.

Yeah, I think the game is at the point where all you really want is core and leg strength. Speed is the name of the game now.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad