Post-Game Talk: Sens @ Nucks, Nov. 11

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChocolateLeclaire

Jan 12, 2010
Ottawa, Canada
I disagree, I think we are very, very good 4on4 team. We just screwed up in simple passes through neutral zone 3 times (Ryan, Michalek and I believe MacArthur) where the puck was thrown back in and they hemmed us in with no real threat until that Sedin goal.

Agreed, our last few OTs against Winnipeg, Chicago and New Jersey, the team controlled the play and should have won.

SenatorArmy*

Really? Are you trying to be obtuse?

Karlsson IS a generational talent. He's been called that by many including Bobby Orr. Regular players don't score nearly a point a game and win the Norris in their second year in the league.

Just because he exceeded expectations doesn't make him a generational talent. A generational player is someone like Wayne Gretzky, Mario Lemieux, Sidney Crosby...etc. I like Karlsson as much as anyone else but he's got a long way to go before being considered a generational talent.

HavlatMach9

streamable 3rah1
Mar 17, 2011
Ottawa
Phillips was decent tonight.

Not really sure what he was doing on the Burrows goal though. He didn't tie up his stick nor did he take the man. He kinds just stood there and waved at the puck.
that's what a long shift in your own zone will do to you

sensfan44

peacetowersens
Aug 12, 2007
Chilliwack BC
Visit site
If the refs can call Neil for a hook from ****ing centre ice and disallow a goal because of it, I don't see how the **** they don't call the Canucks for the blatant hooks and interference against Turris in overtime. What a load of ****.

I was at the game tonight.
Your post was bang on!
Turris tries to exit the zone and had a stick in his hands which separated him from the puck. By definition a hook. Then on that same play he was wrapped up in a bear hug and brought to the ice on the way to the net in the offensive zone. No call. Canucks move back, cycle, score, game over. Thanks!

sensfan44

peacetowersens
Aug 12, 2007
Chilliwack BC
Visit site
What I noticed from Sec 304 tonight:
MM9 wasn't all that bad. He drove the play and created some shots and opportunities
Lazar was solid. He was also shocked when he didn't get that high sticking call
Turris had some filthy mitts tonight. Made a couple people miss
Andy was game saving! 1st star
Phillips was making some bone head plays. Enough said
Boro did too but his speed and aggression balanced his mistakes
Mika, Mika, Mika. Where have you gone? Is it too early to send him back to bingo?
Mike Freakin Hoffman. Germans love the Hoff! I mentioned to my friend at the game to watch him. Speed, hands, hockey iq. This kid knows where to be on the ice and finds pucks, then puts them away!
Bobby needs to play with Mac and Turris again please.
EK gave effort tonight. Which is more than I can say for previous couple.

Oh, and I wasn't the only person with a PELUSO 44 jersey! How is that possible? If anyone knows that girl wearing it, cheers! Also great to see a Mike Brodeur jersey tonight!

bacon25

Unenthusiastic User
Nov 29, 2010
Group Study Room F
Meh, take the point and rest up for Calgary and Edmonton. Vancouver is playing really well, but they have also had a really easy schedule. LA showed them how far they need to go in order to be contenders.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
Sounds like this was a good one to miss (most of the game anyways).

Really sucks how we constantly have to battle both the opponents and the refs so many games.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
Sounds like this was a good one to miss (most of the game anyways).

Really sucks how we constantly have to battle both the opponents and the refs so many games.

to be fair the refs werent calling anything either way. the canucks were skattign circles around us, trust me we were guilty of our fair share of hooks and holds

Alex1234

Oct 14, 2014
Welp, again - I gotta say: Anderson played unreal tonight. He's a huge positive in an otherwise confusing 3 lines. Someone above me mentioned putting Ryan back with Turris and Mac, a move I wholeheartedly agree with. Zibby is just...lost.

Are we going to try pageau again?
Isnt the time now?
If not then we probably should trade him

Indrew

Feb 6, 2007
Last time I checked, it's okay to give the opposing team a bit of credit. They controlled the play from start to finish, and not because the Sens let them.

Alex1234

Oct 14, 2014
Neil-Legwand-Michalek
Hoffman-Smith-Chiasson
Stone-Zibanejad-Lazar
MacArthur-Turris-Ryan

Phillips-Borowiecki
Cowen-Gryba
Karlsson-Ceci

Lehner
Anderson

This^

Heard the legwand line is VERY good in practice
No wander were having problems maclean tries to shelter them on the 4th line
Legwand could easily eat PP PK AND first line minutes
Enough with giving too much TOI to turris and kid line
We tried it but its not working
Time to rely on our good old veterans to take charge

GrantLemons

Church of FYOUS
Feb 3, 2013
Ottawa, ON
I really didn't think Michalek could be any worse than he was last year, but he has proven me wrong. He has no hands, his first three steps are horrid, and he can't win puck battles. Michaleks stick is where the play goes to die.

He is destroying the Zibanejad line. Ryan is being moved around the lineup as a result, when he should just be stapled to Turris' wing.

I'm not sure I can handle another 3 years of this Michalek.

Rand0m

Oct 2, 2011
Refs were terrible. Of course the one penalty they called was on a nothing play by Neil just as the Sens scored. The missed Lazar high-stick, Turris bear-hug on the final rush... Anyway, you can't win against them.

The Canucks played a solid game overall, no shame in losing to a team like that in OT on a highlight reel goal. Take the point and be happy.

Phillips was terrible, Neil-Legwand-Smith continue to ne the worst line on this team.

Karlsson is a shadow of his former self, hopefully he figures it out soon but he's scared of going in the corners, makes terrible positioning decisions in his zone. I'm hoping it's just an adjustment to a new style of play dictated by the coaching staff but he better figure things out soon, Ceci is playing an overall better game than he is.

Teams have figured Karlsson out, just put 2 man pressure on him and the forwards are waiting at the other blue line so when he inevitably coughs up the puck there's no one to support him.

OgieO

May 17, 2006
Halifax
We lost 2 faceoffs in OT and really never really got the puck back for any length of time. The two times we were able to get the puck off their stick we gave it right back to them with a turnover (I believe the first was Legwand and the second Phillips). 4 on 4 can be deadly when you don't have the puck and don't move your feet quick enough (or anticipate well enough) to steal the puck.

Kid line needs more minutes & they are exactly what our roster needed - a scoring threat from our third line. We didn't get that from the Greening/Condra black holes of offense last year. Kid line should really see second line minutes at this point, they've earned it. Zibby needs to get it going in the offensive end - being good in your own zone is fine, but he can perform at both ends. Still young and developing though, at least he's good defensively so he doesn't hurt us out there.

Not digging Phillips out there last night, very rough outing for him. Hope it was just a blip and not a sign of things to come. Biron's commentary on his defense of the Burrows goal was hilarious - "defending no-one"

God Says No

Mar 16, 2012
Rough night all around. There were few players who played better, i.e. the kid line, Cowen and of course Andy.

To me Karlsson looked slow, even though he had a decent night defensively. Not sure if he's got some injury or this is the speed/quickness of the "new" Karlsson.

Larionov

Feb 9, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Last time I checked, it's okay to give the opposing team a bit of credit. They controlled the play from start to finish, and not because the Sens let them.

Good point - I was really impressed with Vancouver's overall game. Their speed and puck movement are top notch, and when they are at home and they can get the Sedins the matchups they like, look out. Vancouver looked like a team heading down to Sabres/Oilers territory at the end of last year - it's incredible to see them turn it around so fast. If they keep getting the goaltending from Miller, they are a legitimate darkhorse threat in the West. (Oh, and if Vancouver could figure out how to make Shawn Matthias play that way all the time, they would have an absolute gem on their hands. Not many 6'4" guys can wheel like that.)

That great speed and puck movement is what made our defence look so bad. I thought that Boro and Ceci in particular had tough nights, as did Phillips. I thought that Cowen might have been the best Senators defenceman last night once again. Kyle Turris was our best forward, with Hoffman not far behind.

Bobby Ryan is working his @$$ off out there, doing all the right things at both ends of the ice, but just isn't getting any breaks. I have a feeling that he will break out soon, and when he does, the goals will start coming in bunches.

bigsby

Jul 11, 2014
Ottawa
A point is a point. I liked their perseverance to take away the lead 3 times in one game. Vancouver played really well, that last goal was a beaut.

Ottawa's gotten points in 11 of 15 games, unfortunately we've lost 4 of them in OT/SO. It's nice that we've been able to stay in contention for the majority of our games though, a little more 4on4 determination or luck and we could be converting these into wins soon.

Only other teams in the Eastern Conference to have points in that many games this season are TB, MTL, Pitty, Det.

Hossa18

Jan 20, 2008
lol @ Anderson not getting a star at the arena. It doesn't matter too much but his save % that game was a poor reflection of how much he kept the team in it. Dude stood on his head and they came up enormously short.

Should have been a 6-3 game but a point is a point.

Turris, Ceci, Cowen and Hoffman were the only competent players not named Craig Anderson in a Sens jersey tonight

I would add Stone to your list as well

Hossa18

Jan 20, 2008
i dont get why people are hating on michalek the problem with that line is zibanejad

that is very clear.... the min you put legwand there that line looks decent

the play dies on zibanejads stick which is concerning when he is the center

Because Michalek makes 4mil a year and has two points.

Hossa18

Jan 20, 2008
Wow we were badly outplayed all game long. I'll happily take the one point (thanks, Mr Anderson!). The Canucks were way faster than us.

First time this year that our defensive play (not just by our defensemen but also our forwards playing defense) reminded me of last year's team, running around, pointing, covering the wrong guy, giving away the puck under pressure, not being able to transition cleanly etc.

The kid line still managed to be good and create most of the offense. They're such a good fit together. We don't have that with the Ziba line. I think Chiasson needs to get back with Ziba. If we give up on the idea of Michalek as a goal scorer, dude can work the boards pretty well and could be a good complement to Ziba and Chiasson if he understands his new role.

Cowen had another confident game. Who sits when Methot comes back? I hope it's not Boro or Cowen.

You and I both know that it is going to be Boro.....Phillips doesn't get benched

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad