OT: Sens Lounge XCX: Posted to the limit, one more time edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
Back on the topic of cars, any of you have experience or insight into the Subaru Crosstrek?

I'm thinking about buying one this spring.

Not a big category to choose from in that segment. Looks to be either a CX-3 or Crosstrek.

Both seem well recommended.

Engineer

Rustled your jimmies
Dec 23, 2013
Is it?...they were going a little too Pink floyd on a bad acid trip for me the past few albums....is this more OK computer?
In Rainbows was two albums prior to A Moon Shaped Pool, and is generally regarded as their best album, and with the exception of Videotape (unique timing/beat that throws Thom Yorke off at concerts) wasn't experiment.

I think it is a masterpiece, my favourite remains OK Computer, but if you haven't heard In Rainbows and you were a fan of OK Computer, you certainly need to give it a listen, they have a very similar sound, and while never confirmed, there has been a lingering rumour that In Rainbows was partly set as "Playlist 0110" where you one after the other play OK computer then In Rainbows back and forth, ex:
1. Airbag (OK C)
2.15 Step (IR)
3. Paranoid Android (OK C)
etc. (excluding Fitter Happier)

A Moon Shaped Pool is excellent, and while I disliked it at release, The King of Limbs has really grown on me, Codex and Lotus Flower being the strongest songs on that album imo.

A Moon Shaped Pool is less experimental, more of a return to their roots, I'd recommend it, but if you may be able to tell from my post, I'm quite a fan of RH, I've liked or learned to like all of their albums, with the exception of Amnesiac, just can't get into that album.

Last edited:

Engineer

Rustled your jimmies
Dec 23, 2013
Dude... Amnesiac is their best album!!

Pablo Honey is the one I can't listen to.
Too much indirection in the album I find myself getting annoyed during certain songs which leads me to just turning on a different album

Pablo Honey is certainly their most shallow album, from both a complexity and lyrical perspective, but I enjoy it mainly due to seeing the progression from where they started to what they became.

Reactions: Do Make Say Think

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
Too much indirection in the album I find myself getting annoyed during certain songs which leads me to just turning on a different album

Pablo Honey is certainly their most shallow album, from both a complexity and lyrical perspective, but I enjoy it mainly due to seeing the progression from where they started to what they became.

I will agree that Amnesiac is all over the place but the highs are the band's best: Packt like Sardines, You and Whose Army, I Might be Wrong, Dollars and Cents, Like Spinning Plates and Life in a Glasshouse are just outstanding.

Life in a Glasshouse is almost my favourite song of theirs.

And their worst track has to be High & Dry.

Reactions: Engineer

Caeldan

Whippet Whisperer
Jun 21, 2008
Not a big category to choose from in that segment. Looks to be either a CX-3 or Crosstrek.

The Kona from what I saw when we were looking around seemed to be my preference.

Remember that the cx3 is just a Mazda2 that sits taller, so in terms of space and legroom a Mazda3 sedan or hatchback will beat it.

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
The Kona from what I saw when we were looking around seemed to be my preference.

Remember that the cx3 is just a Mazda2 that sits taller, so in terms of space and legroom a Mazda3 sedan or hatchback will beat it.
Ahh yes, the Kona. Keep forgetting about Hyundai.

With the new G70, it will be harder to do so. They are really stepping up their game.

FunkySeeFunkyDoo

Feb 3, 2009
Ottawa

The other car I'd consider that I think is similar is the Honda HRV. I currently have a CRV and it's been a good car -- reliable and good enough to drive.

My wife bought the Impreza Hatchback last summer and I really like driving it, so if the Crosstrek is similar then that is what I'd lean towards.

Cloud

Feb 22, 2016
Yukon
In Rainbows was two albums prior to A Moon Shaped Pool, and is generally regarded as their best album, and with the exception of Videotape (unique timing/beat that throws Thom Yorke off at concerts) wasn't experiment.

I think it is a masterpiece, my favourite remains OK Computer, but if you haven't heard In Rainbows and you were a fan of OK Computer, you certainly need to give it a listen, they have a very similar sound, and while never confirmed, there has been a lingering rumour that In Rainbows was partly set as "Playlist 0110" where you one after the other play OK computer then In Rainbows back and forth, ex:
1. Airbag (OK C)
2.15 Step (IR)
3. Paranoid Android (OK C)
etc. (excluding Fitter Happier)

A Moon Shaped Pool is excellent, and while I disliked it at release, The King of Limbs has really grown on me, Codex and Lotus Flower being the strongest songs on that album imo.

A Moon Shaped Pool is less experimental, more of a return to their roots, I'd recommend it, but if you may be able to tell from my post, I'm quite a fan of RH, I've liked or learned to like all of their albums, with the exception of Amnesiac, just can't get into that album.

started listening to In Rainbows...liked what I was hearing so that's good. The last album I bought from them was King of Limbs when it came out and I just couldn't get into it...perhaps if I was 20 again...and high. :laugh:

Reactions: DrEasy

Engineer

Rustled your jimmies
Dec 23, 2013
I will agree that Amnesiac is all over the place but the highs are the band's best: Packt like Sardines, You and Whose Army, I Might be Wrong, Dollars and Cents, Like Spinning Plates and Life in a Glasshouse are just outstanding.

Life in a Glasshouse is almost my favourite song of theirs.

And their worst track has to be High & Dry.
Yeah it certainly has strong tracks, I even gave it a listen yesterday after reading your post thinking maybe the album as a whole has grown on me, but nah, still my least favourite by a decent margin.

I don't mind high and dry by any means, but it is certainly the weakest song on a very strong album. Definitely sounds like a manager wanted a "made for a single" song to be included, which turned out to be high and dry.
I think he hates Creep more than anything....

My favorite Radiohead albums would be:

1- OK Computer
2- The Bends
3- Kid A (with Amnesiac a close 4th)

The more recent albums bore me to death...
Yeah the band has been quoted as hating that song, and I don't blame them, that was the only song people cared for during a two year tour.
The contempt they felt for that song near the end also directly lead to a significant portion of their lyrics in The Bends, the most obvious being the title song The Bends.

And for better or worst The Bends directly led to acts like Coldplay, James Blunt, etc

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
The Bends is probably one of those lesser known landmark albums.

Ok Computer is their big one but The Bends was the one that really set the band apart in terms of arrangements. Ok Cpmputer is the refined version.

DrEasy

Out rumptackling
Oct 3, 2010
Stützville

Ok Computer is their big one but The Bends was the one that really set the band apart in terms of arrangements. Ok Cpmputer is the refined version.
The Bends was such a step up from Pablo Honey. Can't think of many bands who progressed so much from their first album to the second. Maybe Nirvana?

Reactions: Do Make Say Think

AchtzehnBaby

Global Matador
Mar 28, 2013
Hazeldean Road

Radiohead at Barrymore’s in 1995 for the Bends is still my favourite show of all time. (I have seen RH 14 times over the years, twice last summer)

I am with you on The Bends over Ok computer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad