OT: Sens Lounge XCX: Posted to the limit, one more time edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
It's just a tool, but we just collectively happen to use it badly.

I'm not sure it is possible for humans to use it correctly. In that way, it is very similar to TV: potentially amazing tool, has done a lot of good but, as it has evolved, it is now far more damaging.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
I mean, we're having a nice conversation on social media right now!

True but I don't think internet forums are what is traditionally considered social media. Effectively it is, but I'm talking more about Twitter and Instagram and Online Dating etc....

It certainly is true that the line is not easy to define. I guess the bite-size ones?

saskriders

Can't Hold Leads
Sep 11, 2010
Calgary
My benefits will cover as much naturopathy as psychology. I think that is complete garbage and shifts money from where people need to it where people want it.

Regardless I think the whole way the benefits system works is dumb. Instead of getting $x for this that and the other when someone might only use one of those you should get the whole amount a be able to distribute it between this that and the other however you see fit.

maclean

Jan 4, 2014
I would disagree. TV is one-way while social media is two-way: a big part of what makes social media so digusting is the interactivity.

I'm not a fan of TV though.

Uh yeah, exactly, TV is one way. It is solely mind-numbing content that neither requires nor tolerates any feedback, unless you count rehashing last night's episode of X by the water-cooler.

You take that back. Television gave us The Wire!

But social media gave us being able to communicate with that cute person you met without having to somehow acquire their telephone contact!

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
Uh yeah, exactly, TV is one way. It is solely mind-numbing content that neither requires nor tolerates any feedback, unless you count rehashing last night's episode of X by the water-cooler.

The thing about that mind numbing content is that is what people want: TV doesn't have show insipid garbage. TV process feedback with a bit of delay, but the reason it is filled with garbage is because that is what sells.

But social media gave us being able to communicate with that cute person you met without having to somehow acquire their telephone contact!

People would be better off finding the guts to ask the person they fancy in-person, instead of falling back on anonymity to do the hard work. I don't mean to say that no good can come from social media, I just find the trends to be very worrying and intensifying.

EDIT: also, re-reading myself, I sound really sanctimonious. I'm just trying to get a conversation going, I really don't want to give the impression that I have solutions and that people should do what I say.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ice-Tray

DrEasy

Out rumptackling
Oct 3, 2010
Stützville
There's a difference between a tool having flaws and it being evil. FB, Twitter, etc all have major flaws. That's why they can get abused or used for nefarious purposes, but there's also plenty of virtuous uses as well. Otherwise you could just saw the internet is evil too. After all, there's email spam, there's horrible content on the web, etc.

It is up to software developers/companies to come up with better tools and to address the flaws (I think decentralization would address plenty of issues). It is up to users to choose the good ones and to use them properly. Education (not just tech-savvy, but also just plain literacy and cultural knowledge) would also go a long way in helping users.

Zorf

Apparently I'm entitled?
Jan 4, 2008
My HF Boards ads today are for the new Mary Poppins movie.

I feel dainty as f*** right now!

Reactions: Liliaceae

Stylizer1

SENSimillanaire
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City
There's a difference between a tool having flaws and it being evil. FB, Twitter, etc all have major flaws. That's why they can get abused or used for nefarious purposes, but there's also plenty of virtuous uses as well. Otherwise you could just saw the internet is evil too. After all, there's email spam, there's horrible content on the web, etc.

It is up to software developers/companies to come up with better tools and to address the flaws (I think decentralization would address plenty of issues). It is up to users to choose the good ones and to use them properly. Education (not just tech-savvy, but also just plain literacy and cultural knowledge) would also go a long way in helping users.
The problem is that these companies design these apps/software to be addictive.

Harbinger

sing for absolution
Mar 8, 2008
Edmonton
I'm convinved that at least half of them know better, but are just arses who like to be contrarian because it amuses them to get a rise out of people.

There's no possible way that there are that many people who legit believe stuff like that. It's mostly a population of mentally unwell people, mixed with that very particular group (and you know the type I'm talking about here) who get a rise out of watching the world burn.

I believe some are doing it just to make a buck. The others are just plain stupid.

Caeldan

Whippet Whisperer
Jun 21, 2008
I like the Orville, but the first two episodes largely focusing around Bortus is a bit meh.

Though the first episode he was more the macguffin for everyone else.

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015
Reactions: Do Make Say Think

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
The thing about that mind numbing content is that is what people want: TV doesn't have show insipid garbage. TV process feedback with a bit of delay, but the reason it is filled with garbage is because that is what sells.

People would be better off finding the guts to ask the person they fancy in-person, instead of falling back on anonymity to do the hard work. I don't mean to say that no good can come from social media, I just find the trends to be very worrying and intensifying.

EDIT: also, re-reading myself, I sound really sanctimonious. I'm just trying to get a conversation going, I really don't want to give the impression that I have solutions and that people should do what I say.

Yes, tv can be a lot better.

I remember as a kid watching a ton of PBS, nature programs, science shows...real stuff, not these 'mockumentaries' they have out now that ask 'what if bigfoot/ghosts/paranormal/aliens exist' garbage. The potential to learn so much, and people threw it away for cheap laughs, explosions and 'reality' tv shows.

PeterSidorkiewicz

HFWF Tourney Undisputed Champion
Apr 30, 2004
Lansing, MI
Yes, tv can be a lot better.

I remember as a kid watching a ton of PBS, nature programs, science shows...real stuff, not these 'mockumentaries' they have out now that ask 'what if bigfoot/ghosts/paranormal/aliens exist' garbage. The potential to learn so much, and people threw it away for cheap laughs, explosions and 'reality' tv shows.

coughcapitalismcough. Those shows get higher ratings.

It's almost like there needs to be dedicated shows that educate that aren't profit driven. :nod:

CTC

Oct 9, 2014
I just have to say that I went looking for a politics thread on the main board but just ended up scrolling through their lounge...and wow....it's just weird and so negative. Congrats on keeping this thread normal lol

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
I just have to say that I went looking for a politics thread on the main board but just ended up scrolling through their lounge...and wow....it's just weird and so negative. Congrats on keeping this thread normal lol

If you want a political board to check out hit me up

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad