OT: Sens Lounge XCVII: "Zorf; 21 times!" Edition

What is more satisfying?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
I don't think it works like that. Gas prices keep going up and I don't know of anyone who is driving less because of it.

We're a bunch of softies who are used to living comfortable lives. You can say that you'll try to save power, but it probably won't last that long and then we`ll get used to the inflated prices, and once they feel normal they`ll increase the price again.
Everybody burns gas or some sort of petro,hell they have been burning oil for centuries..Most organic matter has oil in its overall makeup ...The problem with the planet is there is entirely too many people on it ,we are the ultimate swarm

Reactions: Cosmix

Zorf

Apparently I'm entitled?
Jan 4, 2008
Everybody burns gas or some sort of petro,hell they have been burning oil for centuries..Most organic matter has oil in its overall makeup ...The problem with the planet is there is entirely too many people on it ,we are the ultimate swarm

So, if I'm reading this correctly, you're giving me the go ahead to enact my plan to "vacate" all Habs fans from the planet? It's for the greater good, people! It's for the greater good!

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
Short term pain for long-term gain. It's not like this is the first time something like this has happened. There were government programs and subsidies to get infrastructure up and running to make the switch from horses to the internal combustion engine, too. And all expenses in a business are passed onto the consumer.

Let's be honest....we'll have to commit to going green sooner or later. It's not like we can whip out a magic wand and replenish all the fossil fuels we've used. Sooner or later, the supply is going to run out. Better to invest in alternates now, then to scramble at the last minute.

Unless some sort of global war or pandemic wipes out 80% of humanity, we're going to need to do something to keep our energy needs met long-term.
Funny ,I been overburdened with more and more excessive power bills,yet I dont see much a difference at all....Green energy has been around for decades,europe has been burning their trash for decades and also using its off flow of heated air from factories ...

Why are we just starting to do this,and why the hell is it costing so much damn money....

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
So, if I'm reading this correctly, you're giving me the go ahead to enact my plan to "vacate" all Habs fans from the planet? It's for the greater good, people! It's for the greater good!
No ,but hell China has over 1 billion people....Yet our PM goes over there dances a jig and tells them to have better human rights....They have a standing 15 mil plus army,for one reason...Even a small fringe group that starts to think a different way,could literally be in the millions....Pandoras box for sure

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
Don't tell Thanos.
Look i know i come off as a cave man to some...But iam comfortable in my own skin to say yes i have a better living ,that comes off the backs of other humans that dont have as good....I buy lots of things from China,and other countries that dont have the rights and privaliges we do here...Why???Because I want whats best for me and my family,and having my dollar stretch even further helps this cause...

Mingus Dew

Microphone Assassin
Oct 7, 2013
What is that?

It’s a really over-the-top red sauce Italian restaurant (think Goodfellas or The Sopranos) where everything costs way too much and the waiters are basically actors.

The food also happens to be incredible, which helps.

maclean

Jan 4, 2014
I don't think it works like that. Gas prices keep going up and I don't know of anyone who is driving less because of it.

We're a bunch of softies who are used to living comfortable lives. You can say that you'll try to save power, but it probably won't last that long and then we`ll get used to the inflated prices, and once they feel normal they`ll increase the price again.

They aren't driving less because they can still afford it. Same with electricity. In other words basically agreeing with the softy part. In the twenty years since I first left Canada the standard of living has increased incredibly, and I use that term very literally - what people consider to be the standard of how it is normal to live. Things that twenty, thirty years ago would have been considered at worst an inconveniece, today people consider unbearable. Because they can afford not to have to experience it, or are willing to go into debt not to.

DrEasy

Out rumptackling
Oct 3, 2010
Stützville
If it's more convenient to take public transpo than to drive, then people will happily change their habits and leave the car at home. For this you either make driving a miserable (including expensive) experience (boo), and/or you improve the public transpo infrastructure (yay). The two are connected: funding better public transpo may include making driving an expensive proposition. Having said that, I'm astounded by the high cost of building modern light rail. What's wrong with good old rickety trams? And how about eco-friendly buses (been to London lately?).

Also, different zoning laws could make it so you don't have to go far for every errand or outing.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
They aren't driving less because they can still afford it. Same with electricity. In other words basically agreeing with the softy part. In the twenty years since I first left Canada the standard of living has increased incredibly, and I use that term very literally - what people consider to be the standard of how it is normal to live. Things that twenty, thirty years ago would have been considered at worst an inconveniece, today people consider unbearable. Because they can afford not to have to experience it, or are willing to go into debt not to.

I remember growing up in an old house using coal for heating and no A/C. No wireless phones, no cable TV, no FM radio, no PCs. LD calls cost over $1.00 per minute.

Reactions: maclean

maclean

Jan 4, 2014
I remember growing up in an old house using coal for heating and no A/C.

I remember spending the whole winter glued to the one electric heater in the kitchen cause the wood stove didn't cut it at all. Don't know about A/C, we tended to spend the whole summer outside with a little plastic kiddie pool to cool off in

maclean

Jan 4, 2014
If it's more convenient to take public transpo than to drive, then people will happily change their habits and leave the car at home. For this you either make driving a miserable (including expensive) experience (boo), and/or you improve the public transpo infrastructure (yay). The two are connected: funding better public transpo may include making driving an expensive proposition. Having said that, I'm astounded by the high cost of building modern light rail. What's wrong with good old rickety trams? And how about eco-friendly buses (been to London lately?).

Also, different zoning laws could make it so you don't have to go far for every errand or outing.

A lot of it has to do with urban planning as well. Most of North America after a certain point was built with the car in mind, making cars a matter of course and public transport an overly expensive infrastructure excercise that it's hard to find support for. The tram/lightrail point is interesting from two points of view - one that light rail can be "upscale" and appeal to an affluent clientele as well, the other that trams generally take road space away from cars, damaging their appeal to the (predominant) driving public, i.e. trams come "at the expense" of driving, whereas light rail is seen as an alternative that doesn't detract from what people are used to (to say nothing of the appeal for the construction industry).

Reactions: DrEasy

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
I remember spending the whole winter glued to the one electric heater in the kitchen cause the wood stove didn't cut it at all. Don't know about A/C, we tended to spend the whole summer outside with a little plastic kiddie pool to cool off in

In summer we went to stay at a cottage at a beach. No A/C there either. But a cool breeze off the lake. :)

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
Wait.....some folks think big oil will give that extra money back to the consumer instead of jacking up the base price of gas and putting the extra profit into their own pockets?

Unless we keep the oil in Canada, we are not getting any breaks in gas prices. Refining it in the US after selling it dirt cheap already is not the way to manage our own resources.

Reactions: Ray Kinsella

Harbinger

sing for absolution
Mar 8, 2008
Edmonton
my uncle has pancreatic cancer. Yep. Sounds about right for this family.

The last eight years of my life has been shit. Absolute shit.

Ray Kinsella

Feb 13, 2018
You know, most of the time, platform-wise, the NDP in both provincial and federal politics around the country, aren't that bad an option. Unfortunately, usually as a self-fulfilling prophecy, the lack of legitimate candidates that want to run for them result in either wholly unqualified, or complete nutjobs running for them in many ridings. Take two federal elections ago, when the NDP had that huge surge under the last election of Jack Layton. Some of the MP's elected to government were completely useless. You had kids that hadn't completed their first university degree yet, and radical third-wave feminists that had social media posts about culling white men.

Why would you actually be happy about having to mow the lawn now?
Ughh... this reminds me of my 2 hour lawn mowing chore after getting my riding mower back today (from getting repaired). I’m two weeks behind and it’s suppose to rain tomorrow :(

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
Unless we keep the oil in Canada, we are not getting any breaks in gas prices. Refining it in the US after selling it dirt cheap already is not the way to manage our own resources.

Good luck getting any municipality to ok a refinery in their backyard. That's the problem...too many folks want to have their cake, and eat it, too. we want to have good jobs where everyone has money to buy stuff...but no one wants to pay a fair price for the things we manufacture (so workers in factories can make a decent wage). We want cheap gas, but don't want the stinky, evil refinery anywhere near where we live. We talka bout supoprting the troops, having universal healthcare, and great schools...but we all go into hissy fits whenever the tax bill to pay for it comes in.

As a society, we need to grow up. Stop bs-ing about supporting things and then balking at the price. Either we want a society where we support one another and have an environment to develop our kids to their potential, or we don't.

saskriders

Can't Hold Leads
Sep 11, 2010
Calgary
Does anyone have any experience or know anyone his has experience volunteering in a poor country? I think I would like to do that at some point within the next few years, but don't know where to begin.

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
my uncle has pancreatic cancer. Yep. Sounds about right for this family.

The last eight years of my life has been ****. Absolute ****.

My father last 18 months with pancreatic cancer when they gave him 3-6 months and died October 2017. Sorry pal, this is going to be a real grind.

My wife just went to a genetic clinic at CHEO about cancer as her mom had breast cancer and that is hereditary. Pancreatic and stomach, as my dad had both, are not. Prostate is though.

I hope your uncle can fit in as much as he can, God Bless.

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
Good luck getting any municipality to ok a refinery in their backyard. That's the problem...too many folks want to have their cake, and eat it, too. we want to have good jobs where everyone has money to buy stuff...but no one wants to pay a fair price for the things we manufacture (so workers in factories can make a decent wage). We want cheap gas, but don't want the stinky, evil refinery anywhere near where we live. We talka bout supoprting the troops, having universal healthcare, and great schools...but we all go into hissy fits whenever the tax bill to pay for it comes in.

As a society, we need to grow up. Stop bs-ing about supporting things and then balking at the price. Either we want a society where we support one another and have an environment to develop our kids to their potential, or we don't.

Canada could be much more independent than it is. We have an embarrassment of riches when it comes to natural resources. We need more refining and infrastructure to avoid tyranical leaders.

BigRig4

Feb 22, 2014
Does anyone ever play hockey simulation games? Wondering if anyone has any that they recommend? Looking for something similar to the OOTP baseball series that I can just run on my laptop.

branch

#GirlBoss #Vibes
Jan 12, 2008
Does anyone ever play hockey simulation games? Wondering if anyone has any that they recommend? Looking for something similar to the OOTP baseball series that I can just run on my laptop.

I downloaded East Coast Hockey Manager from Steam for I think 10$ or so. I haven't had a chance to play it, the learning curve is pretty high, just haven't had the time. I also tend to buy a lot of games and never play them.

Reactions: BigRig4

saskriders

Can't Hold Leads
Sep 11, 2010
Calgary
Canada could be much more independent than it is. We have an embarrassment of riches when it comes to natural resources. We need more refining and infrastructure to avoid tyranical leaders.

The network of trade, alliances, and countries being economically reliant on one another is very intentional and has led to the most prosperous and peaceful time in human history.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad