OT: Sens Lounge XCIX: Thicc Whip Edition

Who would win in a race - my Honda Element or Zorf's minivan?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Caeldan

Whippet Whisperer
Jun 21, 2008
2 kids here.

I'm ridiculously in favor of cannabis legalization specifically because of the expected crime reduction and de-clawing of organized crime cash flows expected to coincide with legalization. Also: money spent to "fight" such a minor vice like pot smoking is desperately needed elsewhere.

Should have happened 10 years ago.

They just need to push through stronger no smoking /vaping in public laws.

I mean, you can drink legally only in licensed areas, why are you allowed to smoke in public when it has more impact on people around you?

Stylizer1

SENSimillanaire
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City
Honestly I'm not looking forward to it because the smell is more obnoxious than cigarettes even. And the people who talk about using it in public seem to be incredibly disrespectful compared to the way society has now trained the majority of cigarette smokers.

Example: with my baby, a single glance at a smoker to indicate I'm walking that way, especially if it's near an entrance to a building and they move to limit secondhand smoke.
Pot smokers? I'm seeing local Facebook posts about them suggesting a big pot smoking party in the park where all the kids play after school.

Same thing with edibles. That's going to be hard to manage for both parents of young children and pet owners.
I think it is just going to be something that people will get used to. The next generation that comes a long won't even care. It sucks when you become an old person right before your own very eyes. :laugh:

Stylizer1

SENSimillanaire
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City
They just need to push through stronger no smoking /vaping in public laws.

I mean, you can drink legally only in licensed areas, why are you allowed to smoke in public when it has more impact on people around you?
They are trying to enforce laws for pot in kind of a hybrid way between cigarettes and booze that won't work. You can go to a bar and drink but you can't go to business and smoke. You can smoke cigarettes in public but you could't smoke pot. If you allow for pot cafe's like in Amsterdam then the smoker's will want to be able to smoke in businesses too. As it stands it is only a smell people will have to deal with. In Amsterdam though decriminalized you don't see too many people walking around smoking joints. There is a level of respect there. If you go to the central park it's different and it just isn't a thing to most. It just needs time to become apart of the culture for people to stop worrying about it so much. I just don't think people are so ignorant that they would spark up right in front of a family having a picnic but minding their own business and walking down the side walk doesn't seem so insufferable to the average person.

Caeldan

Whippet Whisperer
Jun 21, 2008
They are trying to enforce laws for pot in kind of a hybrid way between cigarettes and booze that won't work. You can go to a bar and drink but you can't go to business and smoke. You can smoke cigarettes in public but you could't smoke pot. If you allow for pot cafe's like in Amsterdam then the smoker's will want to be able to smoke in businesses too. As it stands it is only a smell people will have to deal with. In Amsterdam though decriminalized you don't see too many people walking around smoking joints. There is a level of respect there. If you go to the central park it's different and it just isn't a thing to most. It just needs time to become apart of the culture for people to stop worrying about it so much. I just don't think people are so ignorant that they would spark up right in front of a family having a picnic but minding their own business and walking down the side walk doesn't seem so insufferable to the average person.
Except vapers do exactly that, and I find that the level of respect for others that most smoke pot in public types have is at the level of vapers or lower.

Here I Pageau Again

Jul 4, 2012
The past 2 weddings I have been to the DJ's have pissed me off. Actually now that I think about it, 3 weddings. They always seem to go rogue and play whatever the hell they want. One of the DJ's didnt even play a lot of the stuff on the bride and grooms list. If we do an actual wedding, my friend wants to DJ (who is not a DJ) and he's already got the job in my eyes.

Did ppl dance though? I'm personally all for them going rogue so long as people keep dancing. If my list is crap and no one dances to it, then go rogue!!

Here I Pageau Again

Jul 4, 2012
Honestly I'm not looking forward to it because the smell is more obnoxious than cigarettes even. And the people who talk about using it in public seem to be incredibly disrespectful compared to the way society has now trained the majority of cigarette smokers.

Example: with my baby, a single glance at a smoker to indicate I'm walking that way, especially if it's near an entrance to a building and they move to limit secondhand smoke.
Pot smokers? I'm seeing local Facebook posts about them suggesting a big pot smoking party in the park where all the kids play after school.

Same thing with edibles. That's going to be hard to manage for both parents of young children and pet owners.

Agreed!!

Honestly, I was shocked at how often people butt out when I walk by with the babe!

As for pot, they don't seem to care. Also, we've had increasing number of pot "overdoses" from little kids taking edibles at my work.

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
I don't think the implementation has been well thought out. You have to think smoking rules will simply apply to pot as to cigarettes.

Apparently you can light up at campsites too but not drink? And if you can smoke pot in public his long before you can have a beer walking down Elgin?

Tenants? Good luck with enjoying legal pot. It isn't going to be straightforward, that's for sure.

I am not convinced that driving high will be well policed or controlled .

Not in favour of it. But understand the criminality of it and how something needed to be done. Government won't make any money will they? Haha

I didn't buy stocks because I only buy in products that I believe in. This is far too risky, although Canopy seems like the one to short tomorrow lol.

Masked

(Super/star)
Apr 16, 2017
Parts unknown
Honestly I'm not looking forward to it because the smell is more obnoxious than cigarettes even.

No, it isn't. Tobacco smoke clings to everything. Pot smoke dissipates much better.

And the people who talk about using it in public seem to be incredibly disrespectful compared to the way society has now trained the majority of cigarette smokers.

The law is that smokers shouldn't be close to entrances but most of them like to ignore things like that. Or no smoking signs at transit stations.

There are a ton of inconsiderate smokers.

maclean

Jan 4, 2014
God help us.....the wiff of reefers in public is a scary thought with kids everywhere

As far as I understand it, it will not be legal to smoke pot in public.

In Amsterdam though decriminalized you don't see too many people walking around smoking joints.

Because it is illegal and cops regularly patrol to check for it. You are not allowed to smoke it in public, just in the licensed shops (not sure how smoking regulations have affected that now) or at home.

Especially when factoring the introduction of edibles and the infused drinks. It's going to bring some huge growing pains.

It seems quite ridiculous to me to let it get this hypercommercial right away. Honestly I think they should be taking it step by step. Heck, how many decades was it you had to fill out a form at the liquor store as if you were in a pharmacy?

Commerce wise, it's going to be massive .....no complaints there as I am heavily invested in a number of companies, so part of me is excited and the other side is very concerned what it's going to do to our younger generation.

How does this not make you feel incredibly hypocritical?

We do know there are shady dealers out there who add all sorts of deadly crap into various street drugs. At least pulling cannabis away from most of the shady dealers is a step in the right direction.

That kind of stuff wasn't really ever a problem with pot though. Honestly it's taking a solid part-time job away from our youth :laugh:

Reactions: Disclose

Mingus Dew

Microphone Assassin
Oct 7, 2013
I have done this before.

Good luck!

Totally unrelated...

Wedding songs?? What are some good ones!? Man I'm struggling here!

I feel like we talked about the HM before - so awesome that you did one!

I’ve been running pretty consistently for years now, but I’ve never done all these miles at once. It’s a good excuse to get a tour of Brooklyn I guess!

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
I didn't buy stocks because I only buy in products that I believe in. This is far too risky, although Canopy seems like the one to short tomorrow lol.

Price has reflected legalization for like 18 months already.

I had the opportunity to buy into Tweed for like $8k at $1.70/share about 3 years ago. Something came up and I decided that money wouls have been better used elsewhere. Kicking myself every day for missing out on that one.

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
For the record: on the bus to work, haven't seen or smelled a single pot smoker yet.

I work right downtown though, so that should change by noon, lol.

senswon

Quo Tendimus
Aug 1, 2007
Kingstone
Very happy it's legal now.
Some mixed messages though. Its not illegal anymore but cops will still be looking to bust you with a machine that can't decipher if you smoked 2 days or 2hrs ago.
Kinda scary for a chronic user.

That being said, blazing and driving isn't cool either.

10-12$ gram??! Interesting to see if that price model changes if they're serious about squeezing out organized crime

Gonna be some growing pains, and looking forward to it being normalized a bit instead of the usual attitudes.

YouGotAStuGoing

Mar 26, 2010
Ottawa, Ontario
Very happy it's legal now.
Some mixed messages though. Its not illegal anymore but cops will still be looking to bust you with a machine that can't decipher if you smoked 2 days or 2hrs ago.
Kinda scary for a chronic user.

That being said, blazing and driving isn't cool either.

You're absolutely right. There needs to be a more effective testing model. The Draeger tool that's being used was confirmed in Australia to only give accurate reading two-thirds of the time. Better than nothing, but still far from perfect. And this isn't the kind of thing where "better than nothing" is enough. This, in my eyes, is the biggest failing with the rollout. But that said, it's one thing to want a better testing method – it's another one to actually find one. The testing tools are still in their infancy relative to other technologies.

Also: notably, edibles aren't going to go on sale for at least a year in the provincial stores. The only (legal) way to get them will be to make them yourself. Which, I suppose, makes sense for those who would eat something, not immediately feel the impact and then have another before letting it get into the bloodstream. That's how you have a bad time.

Also also: be careful, friends. I had a friend who injected three whole marijuanas and he hasn't moved off the couch to this day.

Also also also: congratulations to drugs for winning the war on drugs!

Fandlauer

Apr 23, 2013
Ottawa unless it becomes a disaster
You're absolutely right. There needs to be a more effective testing model. The Draeger tool that's being used was confirmed in Australia to only give accurate reading two-thirds of the time. Better than nothing, but still far from perfect. And this isn't the kind of thing where "better than nothing" is enough. This, in my eyes, is the biggest failing with the rollout. But that said, it's one thing to want a better testing method – it's another one to actually find one. The testing tools are still in their infancy relative to other technologies.

Also: notably, edibles aren't going to go on sale for at least a year in the provincial stores. The only (legal) way to get them will be to make them yourself. Which, I suppose, makes sense for those who would eat something, not immediately feel the impact and then have another before letting it get into the bloodstream. That's how you have a bad time.

Also also: be careful, friends. I had a friend who injected three whole marijuanas and he hasn't moved off the couch to this day.

Also also also: congratulations to drugs for winning the war on drugs!

Tough scene.

Reactions: Ray Kinsella

branch

#GirlBoss #Vibes
Jan 12, 2008
God help us.....the wiff of reefers in public is a scary thought with kids everywhere

upload_2018-10-17_9-4-39.jpeg

Honestly I can't stand when people use "the smell" as a detractor to any one thing. It's a scent. It's not going to kill you and it's going to go away eventually. If you're bringing a baby around obviously smoking, then just give them a wide berth. Just because you have a baby shouldn't have to mean I have to modify the way that I'm operating (in general I do, but I vaporize nicotine). It's your baby.

With edibles the onus is on people to be responsible adults and keep it locked away. If they don't then that's their problem. Even if a kid or animal ingests it they're not gonna die, they're going to be rattled big time but they'll be fine. As for people gathering and smoking weed together as a group, you're going to have to get used to it.

FYI I don't smoke marijuana, but if alcohol is legal, weed sure as shit should be. When was the last time you witnessed a baked bar brawl? Never.

All of the scared Gen-X'ers and boomers need to sack up and get over it. This is progression baby.

The Lewler

GOAT BUDGET AINEC
Jul 2, 2013
Eastern Ontario Badlands
It's gonna be a big deal, then it's gonna be no big deal.

Driving enforcement is gonna be a train wreck, I can vouch for that first hand.

Society hasn't had this kind of sea change in many years. Kinda cool to watch it unfold.

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
10-12$ gram??! Interesting to see if that price model changes if they're serious about squeezing out organized crime

Personally, not that I smoke anymore, but I'd be much more willing to pay $10/g for pot that I know has gone through federal inspection and is guaranteed to be pure and the strain can be 100% positively identified than $6/g for some dank stale pot that's spent a month in a ziplock bag in some guy's Weed Closet that's possibly laced with god-knows-what from some guy with ties to Hells Angels.

Reactions: coladin
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad