OT: Sens Lounge XCIX: Thicc Whip Edition

Who would win in a race - my Honda Element or Zorf's minivan?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
What was your personal experience with laced pot?

Back in the day? It was basically always something you had to consider in Ottawa, especially when the supply in circulation was low and people were "spicing" up the bad pot to mask the fact that it was stale/bad/crap. Lacing low-quality weed with a variety of "whatever" is pretty well known. There were a few farms out in the boonies (Greely area, I think?) back in the day that grew garbage-tier weed and used to spray their stuff with windex for a better high. Lots of pot circulating with PCP during those "droughts".

I mean... I'm not saying it was an epidemic or anything, like 50% of all pot was dangerous! But like... 5% during the drought periods? That seems reasonable as a number, and high enough in frequency that you would have been vigilant about who you were buying from - dealers you knew personally were more reliable.

In fact, that's another reason adult users probably don't encounter it as much - they have developed relationships and trust with certain sources for their pot. The chances of a "trusted" dealer selling you bad pot is way lower than normal. Your personal encounters, and therefore personal experiences, to encounter laced weed is almost nil based on the routines you have established. For a high-school kid with no relationships like that, who might be buying from the first person they can find who is selling, who are buying from total randos, the chances of getting bunk product is probably much higher.

My anecdotal experience is about 15 years old, as that was the last time I was a heavy smoker before quitting, but maybe things have improved? The data doesn't support that idea, though data for these sorts of things is notoriously bad due to the lack of self-reporting except in exceptional circumstances due to the self-incrimination nature of it.

Stylizer1

SENSimillanaire
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City
Back in the day? It was basically always something you had to consider in Ottawa, especially when the supply in circulation was low and people were "spicing" up the bad pot to mask the fact that it was stale/bad/crap. Lacing low-quality weed with a variety of "whatever" is pretty well known. There were a few farms out in the boonies (Greely area, I think?) back in the day that grew garbage-tier weed and used to spray their stuff with windex for a better high. Lots of pot circulating with PCP during those "droughts".

I mean... I'm not saying it was an epidemic or anything, like 50% of all pot was dangerous! But like... 5% during the drought periods? That seems reasonable as a number, and high enough in frequency that you would have been vigilant about who you were buying from - dealers you knew personally were more reliable.

In fact, that's another reason adult users probably don't encounter it as much - they have developed relationships and trust with certain sources for their pot. The chances of a "trusted" dealer selling you bad pot is way lower than normal. Your personal encounters, and therefore personal experiences, to encounter laced weed is almost nil based on the routines you have established. For a high-school kid with no relationships like that, who might be buying from the first person they can find who is selling, who are buying from total randos, the chances of getting bunk product is probably much higher.

My anecdotal experience is about 15 years old, as that was the last time I was a heavy smoker before quitting, but maybe things have improved? The data doesn't support that idea, though data for these sorts of things is notoriously bad due to the lack of self-reporting except in exceptional circumstances due to the self-incrimination nature of it.
25 years ago this wasn't the case in ottawa and that was when indoor started taking off. Again, I don't ever remember it being an issue to the extent you describe but it doesn't mean it didn't happen. If weed were being laced with PCP that would have been headline news.

Upgrayedd

Earn'em and Burn'em
Oct 14, 2010
Ottawa
Really?

Lacing weed with other substances is a practice seemingly older than dirt.

I suppose it may depend where you could get your stuff from, not saying it doesn't happen but this is coming from someone who has 20 years of daily experience and runs in circles of similar people with similar experience, I have literally never even heard of one instance where someone had anything beyond a normal weed based high using strictly weed of course. I frequent multiple artisan style growers and sellers and "lacing" anything would be considered blasphemous and frankly counter productive to their product and business.

Let this be an example to all to question everything and anything society and our government does, many things will be justified, however many things will not...imo making the plant illegal in the first place was financially motivated from the cotton industry and was never made illegal for any sort of health reasons. Weed has only gotten stronger over the last several decades and is now suddenly legal, there was never an issue with it and it helps so so many, its simply monetized now similar to alcohol post prohibition.

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
25 years ago this wasn't the case in ottawa and that was when indoor started taking off. Again, I don't ever remember it being an issue to the extent you describe but it doesn't mean it didn't happen. If weed were being laced with PCP that would have been headline news.

You're expecting the media to

1) even be aware of a situation that by it's very nature wants to escape notice, let alone have any accurate information on details other than "drugs are bad mmkay" and "the police arrested a bunch of dudes", and

2) report on drugs responsibly.

We both know that neither of those things ever happen.

Here I Pageau Again

Jul 4, 2012
did any kids die?

No but some had significant long term effects.

And don't get me wrong, I am all for legalizing, I just think this idea that there are no issues with pot is a bit off. I do think that we should be careful with pot around kids because there is some research on brain development and pot which isn't overly positive.

On that note, some cities are banning public use of pot.

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
I frequent multiple artisan style growers and sellers and "lacing" anything would be considered blasphemous and frankly counter productive to their product and business.

That specifically explains why you'd never encounter it. You don't run in circles where it's problematic, and the circles you do run in very specifically shun it.

Not all weed is organic, free range weed. The dirty street crap that teenagers might buy due to lack of proper weed connections from responsible growera who care about their rep are where you'd most likely come across it.

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
Price has reflected legalization for like 18 months already.

I had the opportunity to buy into Tweed for like $8k at $1.70/share about 3 years ago. Something came up and I decided that money wouls have been better used elsewhere. Kicking myself every day for missing out on that one.

Ouch...listening to investors they were very hesitant to recommend anything cannabis related because of the volatility. They do recommend shorting...let me check canopy right now. So Tuesday it was at 59, and it hit 49 this morning. Man, that would have been a sweet payday shorting it.

I have rarely dabbled instock since the Bre-X and Nortel fiascos. Feel like prawns in a shark tank. although I firmly believe in buying products that you believe in and see. Bank stocks, Home Depot, Coca Cola, etc...hard to mess that up

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
I've never been to a campsite where I couldn't drink.

Well... Boy Scout camp, maybe, but I was like 13 so that was probably for the best. :laugh:

Oh, we all did, but not freely. Frig, even at Vincent Massey at picnics it was absurd the amount of park officers that would come by.

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009
Oh give me a break. Just because I don't care if someone is going to bellyache about an unpleasant smell from a plant being burned doesn't mean I lack basic human empathy lmao. This whole thing is a reach. I will agree with you on the headache thing however.

I do enjoy the urine reference. Keep the piss takes coming.

For the record I shower daily, wear deodorant, brush my teeth 3x per day. I'm not some slob going around stinking up various places,
Studies show that the smoke from cigarettes can pollute fabrics, carpets and walls for more than 7 years. Third hand smoke residue. You can’t wash that shit off.

Upgrayedd

Earn'em and Burn'em
Oct 14, 2010
Ottawa
That specifically explains why you'd never encounter it. You don't run in circles where it's problematic, and the circles you do run in very specifically shun it.

Not all weed is organic, free range weed. The dirty street crap that teenagers might buy due to lack of proper weed connections from responsible growera who care about their rep are where you'd most likely come across it.

Fair enough, I personally would not buy from a legit retailer as I am looking for a higher percentage of CBD, larger quantities and better prices. To be honest I will continue to have zero concerns about weed being laced even if I purchased from some random dude on the corner of Dalhousie.

Weed has been scientifically proven to be less harmful to the body than ingesting alcohol or sugar in similar quantities.

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
What if your neighbor cooks foreign food and stinks up the floor of an apartment building. That negatively effects peoples but they deal with it.

Could get you evicted. Just like any interference with your reasonable enjoyment. Same with pot or cigarettes

BankStreetParade

Jan 22, 2013
Ottawa
Ouch...listening to investors they were very hesitant to recommend anything cannabis related because of the volatility. They do recommend shorting...let me check canopy right now. So Tuesday it was at 59, and it hit 49 this morning. Man, that would have been a sweet payday shorting it.

I have rarely dabbled instock since the Bre-X and Nortel fiascos. Feel like prawns in a shark tank. although I firmly believe in buying products that you believe in and see. Bank stocks, Home Depot, Coca Cola, etc...hard to mess that up

Considering it was around 47 (CGC ticker, not WEED.TO) I doubt you would have made much in the way of shorting it. ITM shorts are always premium+ and depending on your timeline you'd probably be getting crushed right now since it's holding. Not to mention you can see it in the volume on the call side.

Traditional investors are gun shy about weed stocks like they're gun shy about any industry with a lot of volatility. But there's tons of money to be made if you're willing to stake out a position and ride it for a while (at least 1 year, closer to 3 if possible). Especially invest in companies that have diverse offerings and ones who are very focused on the segments including edibles, oils and infused-beverages. That's the reason companies like Coca-Cola and Pepsi are circling the wagon on these different listed producers.

Upgrayedd

Earn'em and Burn'em
Oct 14, 2010
Ottawa
Anyone catch the 2 part TSN feature about Cannabis and the NHL? It was great and very informative, basically there is limited rules within the NHL for it, they implied basically only those with extremely heavy readings (more than a joint a day) would be asked about their use if caught on a drug test, if no reasonable explanation was given they would have to enter a standard rehab type program. I would guess a large number of current NHL'ers both smoke it semi regularly and for sure use the oils for recovery.

Here I Pageau Again

Jul 4, 2012
I feel like we talked about the HM before - so awesome that you did one!

I’ve been running pretty consistently for years now, but I’ve never done all these miles at once. It’s a good excuse to get a tour of Brooklyn I guess!

I laugh looking back that I did one! And I never want to do one again. I am going to stick to running 5-7km. Or none that I'm running now -- it's much harder to get out to do anything now.

branch

#GirlBoss #Vibes
Jan 12, 2008
Studies show that the smoke from cigarettes can pollute fabrics, carpets and walls for more than 7 years. Third hand smoke residue. You can’t wash that **** off.

Cigarettes are a different story. It's a legitimate carcinogen.

Stylizer1

SENSimillanaire
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City
You're expecting the media to

1) even be aware of a situation that by it's very nature wants to escape notice, let alone have any accurate information on details other than "drugs are bad mmkay" and "the police arrested a bunch of dudes", and

2) report on drugs responsibly.

We both know that neither of those things ever happen.
Drugs being laced with something that actually poses a threat is the argument. PCP isn't a joke and if kids in high school were exposed to it 15 years ago it would have been at least spoken about on a main stream level but it wasn't. The media would be salivating at the chance to report on PCP laced drugs in high schools. I'm surprised they didn't even make something like that up. lol

I never understood the rationale behind taking a cheap drug and lacing it with a more expensive and harder to obtain drug and sell for the same price. Doesn't seem like a road to riches.

branch

#GirlBoss #Vibes
Jan 12, 2008
Considering it was around 47 (CGC ticker, not WEED.TO) I doubt you would have made much in the way of shorting it. ITM shorts are always premium+ and depending on your timeline you'd probably be getting crushed right now since it's holding. Not to mention you can see it in the volume on the call side.

Traditional investors are gun shy about weed stocks like they're gun shy about any industry with a lot of volatility. But there's tons of money to be made if you're willing to stake out a position and ride it for a while (at least 1 year, closer to 3 if possible). Especially invest in companies that have diverse offerings and ones who are very focused on the segments including edibles, oils and infused-beverages. That's the reason companies like Coca-Cola and Pepsi are circling the wagon on these different listed producers.

Some people really don't like the volatility and that's fine. However I love it, it's interesting and keeps me on the edge of my seat some days. If you can put up with you can stand to make a ton of money. Just make sure to trade on cash and not margin. I put a ton of disposable income and it's looking pretty good so far...

Caeldan

Whippet Whisperer
Jun 21, 2008
Indian food is actually banned at my One friends apartment complex. The cooking apparently stains the walls and the smell and stuff. The area has a high Indian population. I absolutely love Indian food id be constantly hungry there.

Lots of workplaces also ban heating seafood and popcorn in microwaves due to the strong scents as well.

Also, I've always found it 'amusing' that people use the terms daily and chronic use to avoid the term addict when it comes to weed.

branch

#GirlBoss #Vibes
Jan 12, 2008
Lots of workplaces also ban heating seafood and popcorn in microwaves due to the strong scents as well.

Also, I've always found it 'amusing' that people use the terms daily and chronic use to avoid the term addict when it comes to weed.

Here we go...why does it matter to you what terminology people use when you obviously have no interest in it? That's just being judgemental.

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown

Let's not forget Durian.

You open a Durian in any hotel in North America, you'll get kicked out so fast that it might break the fundamental laws of thermodynamics that govern maximum speeds for objects with mass.

Reactions: coladin

Caeldan

Whippet Whisperer
Jun 21, 2008
Here we go...why does it matter to you what terminology people use when you obviously have no interest in it? That's just being judgemental.

Mostly because people like to make claims that it's perfectly safe and non addictive, then use language to avoid proving themselves wrong.

Upgrayedd

Earn'em and Burn'em
Oct 14, 2010
Ottawa

A lot of people are going to be upset and try to attack as they took the governments word or whatever fact less book, program or wherever they got their very incorrect info from on the plant and are now feeling very embarrassed they held on so tightly to a clearly incorrect perception for so long.

Reactions: Stylizer1

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
Weed has been scientifically proven to be less harmful to the body than ingesting alcohol or sugar in similar quantities.

As someone with a reasonably well seasoned background of reading peer-reviewed academic studies, I'd be very interested in reading the journal entries that suggest this, and the context the study was performed in before mainstream journalism got their sticky talons into it and stripped it of any real accuracy.

I still have my Carleton access to the various scientific journal databases. I'll take a look later this evening on my own time because I'm genuinely interested, but if there's anything you know of that I should take a look at, don't hesitate to add it to my reading list.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->