OT: Sens Lounge XCIX: Thicc Whip Edition

Who would win in a race - my Honda Element or Zorf's minivan?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

mysens

Apr 9, 2013
@mysens doesn't stand a chance!

For those who are in their 40s, remember when a fast car was 0-60 in 8 seconds? A quarter mile in the 15s was serious business. 14s? Almost supercars territory.

I think minivans are comfortably in the 6s for 0-60 now and in the low 15s.

Crazy...and more efficient too
My first car was when I was 16 back in 1986.....I had found a 1982 Datsun 280Z 2+2, gorgeous caca brown.....it was a steal for $4000.....then it came home on the ride back and almost died of carbon monoxide fumes as there was a hole in the back trunk under the trunk the size of a frisbee......all the while I was wondering why this car sounded so loud and furious. Then, the engine died on me the next day. I drove it for a summer after spending about $1000 on the pos and traded it in for $6000. Not bad. I also bought a 1984 Pontiac Phoenix, baby blue, it was so ugly. So, maybe I need to find some pics to show these babies.

Reactions: coladin

benjiv1

Mar 8, 2010
Ottawa
Hey there, wondering if anyone has an experience with the below, and can advise in any way...

Washing Machine had been acting funny for a couple of weeks now. Larger loads of laundry wouldn’t drain/rinse, so we had to manually choose a rinse/spin cycle before throwing out clothes on the rack or in the dryer.

Fast forward to yesterday, and my wife calls someone in the neighbourhood who does appliance repair to take a look. I decide I should probably look for something obvious before he comes over.

Sure enough I find a baby sock in the filter. I figure that is probably the issue and run a test cycle. No issue.

A couple of hours later I run another wash, no issue again.
Last night at around 930, I run another wash and about 15 minutes in or so, I notice the tray pan is overfilling.
I shut everything off, and start mopping the floor. Eventually get the wet vac out and get rid of all the water.

Our 6 day old baby’s nursery is the adjacent wall, so I figure I should check that out. Sure enough about a foot from the wall, the carpet is all wet. Spent the next couple of hours using the wet vac, carpet vac, towels and a heated fan trying to dry out the area.
Water also managed to get into my garage through the dry walled ceiling.

The carpet is now mostly dry to the touch, and while the drywall in the garage is still damp, it is structurally fine as far as I can tell.
Should I contact someone to come take a look, and or call my home insurance?
I called around to a couple of places, and none of them seemed overly concerned. Checked with some friends, and they said the same thing.

I might be overreacting due to sleep deprivation....

slamigo

Skate or Die!
Dec 25, 2007
Ottawa
Water in your house isn't a big deal as long as it has a chance to totally dry shortly after getting wet. It's when the water stays hidden in the walls or floors and stuff rots or mold starts that it becomes an issue. Check the drain and/or pump from the washing machine. Could have something stuck in that flexible pipe perhaps or even a build up of gunk. Could always use that Jiffy app from the radio. You should be able to get someone reasonable who can help you sort it out without spending a ton of dough.

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015
Carpet water damage mold and black mold in carpet can develop anytime your carpet has become wet and stayed wet for a while without the opportunity to dry out thoroughly. If your home had some flooding and the carpet was damp for more than 24 hours, you probably have some mold in your carpets. Mold in your home carries many health risks and can be a great deal of work to clean up.

The Lewler

GOAT BUDGET AINEC
Jul 2, 2013
Eastern Ontario Badlands
I'd probably cut out the drywall in the garage ceiling.

There is likely vapour barrier with some residual water sitting in it on the "warm" side. You can cut it open and let the air get at the subfloor to dry it.

If you have stone wool insulation it will dry itself out no problem. No mold.

If you have pink fiberglass insulation I would replace it. Once it gets wet its degraded.

benjiv1

Mar 8, 2010
Ottawa
I should clarify, flooding is probably an exaggeration. The equivalent of a toilet overflowing is likely what spilled over. (Maybe a tad more)

I made about 5 calls to places that specialize in this sort of clean up, and non of them actually thought it was worth coming out for. (To my sort of relief)

I currently have a space heater and A dehumidifier running, and rented an industrial carpet vac to hopefully finish the job.

I have 0 experience taking out drywall, but I’m looking into a friend coming over to look it over.

Stylizer1

SENSimillanaire
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City
I should clarify, flooding is probably an exaggeration. The equivalent of a toilet overflowing is likely what spilled over. (Maybe a tad more)

I made about 5 calls to places that specialize in this sort of clean up, and non of them actually thought it was worth coming out for. (To my sort of relief)

I currently have a space heater and A dehumidifier running, and rented an industrial carpet vac to hopefully finish the job.

I have 0 experience taking out drywall, but I’m looking into a friend coming over to look it over.
Keep a heater on the area that was wet to make sure it has dried out all the way. As for the carpet put the towel down and step all around on it until right up to the base board to make sure you force as much water out of your carpet. I went through about 15 towels before I started with the heater. With the heater you are also trying to dry out the studs in the wall. The longer the water sits the more time it has to absorb into the wood. It takes a while for mold to form so you have enough time to dry it out completely.

I had almost the same problem and it just takes time. The key is absorbing all of the water you possibly can and heating the area really well. Lowe's has some cheap 20$ heaters that work really well.

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
I'd probably cut out the drywall in the garage ceiling.

There is likely vapour barrier with some residual water sitting in it on the "warm" side. You can cut it open and let the air get at the subfloor to dry it.

If you have stone wool insulation it will dry itself out no problem. No mold.

If you have pink fiberglass insulation I would replace it. Once it gets wet its degraded.

I'm quoting this for visibility because it is excellent advice. All of this is the correct response, assuming the water spillage was significant, and over the garage.

Mingus Dew

Microphone Assassin
Oct 7, 2013
Just signed up for a half-marathon on a whim. Excited but also kind of scared lol.

PeterSidorkiewicz

HFWF Tourney Undisputed Champion
Apr 30, 2004
Lansing, MI
The past 2 weddings I have been to the DJ's have pissed me off. Actually now that I think about it, 3 weddings. They always seem to go rogue and play whatever the hell they want. One of the DJ's didnt even play a lot of the stuff on the bride and grooms list. If we do an actual wedding, my friend wants to DJ (who is not a DJ) and he's already got the job in my eyes.

PeterSidorkiewicz

HFWF Tourney Undisputed Champion
Apr 30, 2004
Lansing, MI
My wedding the DJ nailed it, did what was on the lists, did requests as expected as well.

He was an older guy in has late 40's, earlier 50's, had probably done hundreds of weddings and didn't try to add "his style" into the mix.

Need to get a laid back DJ that isn't trying to make a name for themselves.

I guess you do, I mean it wasn't my wedding, but I found a lot of these DJs just very...bad. Also they were really bad at reading the room.

Zorf

Apparently I'm entitled?
Jan 4, 2008
Hey there, wondering if anyone has an experience with the below, and can advise in any way...

Washing Machine had been acting funny for a couple of weeks now. Larger loads of laundry wouldn’t drain/rinse, so we had to manually choose a rinse/spin cycle before throwing out clothes on the rack or in the dryer.

Fast forward to yesterday, and my wife calls someone in the neighbourhood who does appliance repair to take a look. I decide I should probably look for something obvious before he comes over.

Sure enough I find a baby sock in the filter. I figure that is probably the issue and run a test cycle. No issue.

A couple of hours later I run another wash, no issue again.
Last night at around 930, I run another wash and about 15 minutes in or so, I notice the tray pan is overfilling.
I shut everything off, and start mopping the floor. Eventually get the wet vac out and get rid of all the water.

Our 6 day old baby’s nursery is the adjacent wall, so I figure I should check that out. Sure enough about a foot from the wall, the carpet is all wet. Spent the next couple of hours using the wet vac, carpet vac, towels and a heated fan trying to dry out the area.
Water also managed to get into my garage through the dry walled ceiling.

The carpet is now mostly dry to the touch, and while the drywall in the garage is still damp, it is structurally fine as far as I can tell.
Should I contact someone to come take a look, and or call my home insurance?
I called around to a couple of places, and none of them seemed overly concerned. Checked with some friends, and they said the same thing.

I might be overreacting due to sleep deprivation....

First, congrats on the new baby!

Second, we had a decently large flood a few years back, and you'll need to run the heater and dehumidifier for 4-5 days. Seriously. You need that stuff to be bone dry. Our contractors set up 3 massive heaters and 3 massive dehumidifiers that ran, non-stop, for days on end. It was like jet engines in our house. It was brutal.

The concern for you isn't the carpet, it's the padding and sub-floor underneath. If you can pop off the base boards, you can pull the carpet back to let the padding and sub-floor dry. Or, you can rip out the padding and replace it. It's pretty cheap for a small amount.

Have the baby sleep in your room and have the heater and dehumidifier go to town in the nursery, with the door closed, for those 4-5 days.

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
My wedding the DJ nailed it, did what was on the lists, did requests as expected as well.

He was an older guy in has late 40's, earlier 50's, had probably done hundreds of weddings and didn't try to add "his style" into the mix.

Need to get a laid back DJ that isn't trying to make a name for themselves.

So crucial is the music. We had a band and DJ, and the dance floor was still going after 2am.

Reactions: Here I Pageau Again
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->