OT: Sens Lounge CVI - The O & D Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

maclean

Jan 4, 2014
You guys are all making my want a puppy!!! So darn cute. My daughter keeps asking for a dog too!

They are literally talking about how impossible to control they are! :laugh:

I honestly can't help but ask, what leads a person to get a fighting breed of dog when there are so many caring, intelligent breeds out there?

Here I Pageau Again

Jul 4, 2012
Careful what you wish for lol

Haha I've had a puppy before and know they are ridiculously hard work. I'm lucky that we have 3 adults living in our home and one doesn't work at all and I only with 3 days a week. Which would lighten the load slightly. Unfortunately I'll have a newborn again at some point... So a puppy + a newborn sounds awful!

Here I Pageau Again

Jul 4, 2012

I honestly can't help but ask, what leads a person to get a fighting breed of dog when there are so many caring, intelligent breeds out there?

I'd get a family friendly breed. But despite the ridiculous amount of work a puppy can be, they are still so worth it in my opinion!

And look at these faces
2d12b55489b25baf095324a2fcab3877.jpg
14cbd5fcab27699884ebd33fb1c936c7.jpg
!!??

Beech

Cicc' a porta
Nov 25, 2020
I was on Hopeful hearts a few years ago looking to see about adopting a dog. (sadly they may have closed).

One dog had my name..I read, he was a bit older, but few details. I called them. The lady gave a fairly detailed description. XXXX is older, does not get along well with others, needs assistance, poor bladder control, needs care in feeding..and so on.

After a while, I was tempted to ask the lady which XXXX was she talking about? I couldn't be sure that she wasn't describing me.

Mingus Dew

Microphone Assassin
Oct 7, 2013

Not sure if this is directed at me, but happy to address.

I don't think that "fighting breeds" versus "caring breeds" is really a meaningful distinction. Yes, pit bulls (and bull terriers like Rocco) were originally bred for more aggressive purposes, but at the end of the day a dog's upbringing is like a million times more important than its genetic predispositions. If you properly socialize your puppy, give them a good home and abstain from negative reinforcement/punishment and fear-inducing then you will have a well-adjusted dog that is great with young kids and old folks and everyone in between. I've met plenty of aggressive golden retrievers and lots of rottweilers that wouldn't hurt a fly.

My dog is a little terrorist and he's stubborn as all hell. But he's also a clown and a goofball and one of the most quizzical little things I've ever been around. He's got personality in spades, and to me that's worth a little extra work on the training side. Maybe his "fighting" instincts make him harder to deal with, but they also contribute to his individuality and his fierce loyalty to me and my girlfriend.

So long answer short, different people have different preferences when it comes to their pets. There are no bad breeds, only bad owners. Dogs are wonderful animals and people that abuse, mistreat or neglect them are the problem.

Edit: To add, smart dogs tend to be a pain in the ass. They are independent and stubborn and always thinking of new ways to cause mischief. So-called "caring" dogs are often of lower intelligence and therefore easier to train and bend to the owner's will. Lack of intelligence isn't a bad thing at all when talking about dogs. The dumber the easier haha.

Last edited:
Reactions: branch

branch

#GirlBoss #Vibes
Jan 12, 2008
I was on Hopeful hearts a few years ago looking to see about adopting a dog. (sadly they may have closed).

One dog had my name..I read, he was a bit older, but few details. I called them. The lady gave a fairly detailed description. XXXX is older, does not get along well with others, needs assistance, poor bladder control, needs care in feeding..and so on.

After a while, I was tempted to ask the lady which XXXX was she talking about? I couldn't be sure that she wasn't describing me.
Look up Ontario Potcake Rescue...lots of availability. I've had a Caribbean potcake before and they are phenomenal dogs. I miss her everyday, best dog ever.

maclean

Jan 4, 2014
Not sure if this is directed at me, but happy to address.

I don't think that "fighting breeds" versus "caring breeds" is really a meaningful distinction. Yes, pit bulls (and bull terriers like Rocco) were originally bred for more aggressive purposes, but at the end of the day a dog's upbringing is like a million times more important than its genetic predispositions. If you properly socialize your puppy, give them a good home and abstain from negative reinforcement/punishment and fear-inducing then you will have a well-adjusted dog that is great with young kids and old folks and everyone in between. I've met plenty of aggressive golden retrievers and lots of rottweilers that wouldn't hurt a fly.

My dog is a little terrorist and he's stubborn as all hell. But he's also a clown and a goofball and one of the most quizzical little things I've ever been around. He's got personality in spades, and to me that's worth a little extra work on the training side. Maybe his "fighting" instincts make him harder to deal with, but they also contribute to his individuality and his fierce loyalty to me and my girlfriend.

So long answer short, different people have different preferences when it comes to their pets. There are no bad breeds, only bad owners. Dogs are wonderful animals and people that abuse, mistreat or neglect them are the problem.

Edit: To add, smart dogs tend to be a pain in the ass. They are independent and stubborn and always thinking of new ways to cause mischief. So-called "caring" dogs are often of lower intelligence and therefore easier to train and bend to the owner's will. Lack of intelligence isn't a bad thing at all when talking about dogs. The dumber the easier haha.

Thanks man. I guess what I was wondering is more what leads a person to choose a fighting breed. I'm not denying it's possible to raise one well, but I do get the impression that it's more of an uphill battle than other breeds that are no less fun. To say nothing of the number of people who clearly have no idea what they're doing, though that can be applied to just about anything :D

And it wasn't specifically directed at you, though obviously the stories here brought it to the fore, but clearly you're working hard to train your dog, it's just something I see around me a lot. Of course I also live in the Czech Republic where dogs are valued more than humans and I have almost never seen a dog here that even gave a pretense of listening to its owner. I actually laugh out loud sometimes seeing people pretending to be keeping their dogs in line when they're outdoors, but I digress.

Mingus Dew

Microphone Assassin
Oct 7, 2013
Thanks man. I guess what I was wondering is more what leads a person to choose a fighting breed. I'm not denying it's possible to raise one well, but I do get the impression that it's more of an uphill battle than other breeds that are no less fun. To say nothing of the number of people who clearly have no idea what they're doing, though that can be applied to just about anything :D

And it wasn't specifically directed at you, though obviously the stories here brought it to the fore, but clearly you're working hard to train your dog, it's just something I see around me a lot. Of course I also live in the Czech Republic where dogs are valued more than humans and I have almost never seen a dog here that even gave a pretense of listening to its owner. I actually laugh out loud sometimes seeing people pretending to be keeping their dogs in line when they're outdoors, but I digress.

Well I think first and foremost that "fighting vs. non-fighting" isn't the right dichotomy. There are "easy" breeds and there are "hard" breeds when it comes to trainability and stubborness. Chesapeake Bay Retrievers, for example, are notoriously difficult dogs to raise and they were never bred for fighting - they're duck hunters. I grew up with Standard Poodles and they were similarly a pain in the ass. I actually don't think that Pit Bulls, Rottweilers, Dobermans, German Shepherds, etc. (all "fighting" breeds) are known for being particularly difficult to raise, but I could be wrong on that.

Lots of things go into the decision of what kind of dog you want. Looks, size, temperament, shedding, health issues, life expectancy, cost - the list goes on. Bull Terriers, for example, are not too big (~55-65 lbs.), short-haired (they do well in the heat; important for me as I live in South Florida), extremely stubborn but also intelligent, clown-like and fiercely loyal to their families (amazing with kids too, which surprised me). They are also very unique dogs that you don't see often, and that matters a lot to me (I'm a bit embarrassed about that fact, but it's true). Rocco is certainly a difficult dog to train and he can get out of control at times, but he's still a joy and with work and structure he'll be a fantastic companion.

The real underlying problem, in my opinion, is that "fighting" breeds like the ones I listed above tend to be sought after by irresponsible dog owners who aren't going to do any work on training their pets. It's no surprise that Pit Bulls are some of the most abandoned dogs around. The people that get dogs for the wrong reasons seem to overwhelmingly prefer "fighting" breeds.

Last edited:

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009
My PS4 friends,

Abzu is free
Enter the Gungeon is free
Rez Infinite is free
The Witness is free
Thumper is free
Subnautica is free

VR required?? games
Paper Beast is free
Moss is free
Astro Bot Rescue Mission

Mingus Dew

Microphone Assassin
Oct 7, 2013
Worst part about living in New York is all of the cash only setups. I don't think I've had cash on me once since moving to Florida...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Finland vs Norway
    Finland vs Norway
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $300.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Slovakia vs USA
    Slovakia vs USA