OT: Sens Lounge CVI - The O & D Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Anyone catch Pierre McGuire on TGOR this morning.

Beautiful nugget about the Carolina Hurricanes...The were never sold to Tom Dundon, they were leased...That lease expires soon!!!

The way he described it, it sounds more like he had a 3 year return policy lol.

Idk maybe mcguire was mixing up the clause that Dundon could purchase the remaining 39% after 3 years? Because that option is coming up. Who knows, maybe he is right at the whole deal could revert if Dundon so chooses.

Dingle

summer is gone
Nov 22, 2019
The way he described it, it sounds more like he had a 3 year return policy lol.

Idk maybe mcguire was mixing up the clause that Dundon could purchase the remaining 39% after 3 years? Because that option is coming up. Who knows, maybe he is right at the whole deal could revert if Dundon so chooses.

Mick,

JR continued on..suggesting that maybe this was an out and out lease deal..This is unique. If so, and the team resorts to Karmanos..this could be an incredible situation.

Man, I cannot wait for the next year to unfold.

You figure any other crazy sports stories/news/developments will unfold?

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Mick,

JR continued on..suggesting that maybe this was an out and out lease deal..This is unique. If so, and the team resorts to Karmanos..this could be an incredible situation.

Man, I cannot wait for the next year to unfold.

You figure any other crazy sports stories/news/developments will unfold?

Turns out his out clause was in the public realm way back in 2018, it's not a lease, he has the option to sell presumably at a pre negotiated price or something.

https://www.newsobserver.com/sports/nhl/carolina-hurricanes/article208326414.html

Dingle

summer is gone
Nov 22, 2019

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
So... David Bowie biopic... with no David Bowie songs in it? I apparently missed the news about this when it was initially announced, but now that the trailer has dropped I'm left wondering how you can do a movie about the guy without any of his music...

Senscore

Let's keep it cold
Nov 19, 2012
So... David Bowie biopic... with no David Bowie songs in it? I apparently missed the news about this when it was initially announced, but now that the trailer has dropped I'm left wondering how you can do a movie about the guy without any of his music...

If anything that makes me more optimistic. I'd rather a real film than some label-approved fluff like with Bohemian Rhapsody.

It would be ideal to be able to use his music but I think having the freedom to make a more honest film is more important.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
If anything that makes me more optimistic. I'd rather a real film than some label-approved fluff like with Bohemian Rhapsody.

It would be ideal to be able to use his music but I think having the freedom to make a more honest film is more important.
It was his family that refused the rights to his music.

Senscore

Let's keep it cold
Nov 19, 2012
It was his family that refused the rights to his music.

That's sounds about right. It's understandable they wouldn't want to portray him as anything but perfect. Rarely is that reality though.

Also Bowie's son is director Duncan Jones so it's possible they wanted to protect the IP from a competitive perspective as well. He may just be interested in making his own film.

Pierre from Orleans

May 9, 2007
I remember the Senators were potentially going to host safe trick of treating at the CTC this year but haven't heard anything recently about it.

Anyone have an idea if they will?

I am under the assumption that it's probably cancelled now that we are back in a modified stage 2?

Stylizer1

SENSimillanaire
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City

“We were keeping our eye on 1984. When the year came and the prophecy didn't, thoughtful Americans sang softly in praise of themselves. The roots of liberal democracy had held. Wherever else the terror had happened, we, at least, had not been visited by Orwellian nightmares.

But we had forgotten that alongside Orwell's dark vision, there was another - slightly older, slightly less well known, equally chilling: Aldous Huxley's Brave New World. Contrary to common belief even among the educated, Huxley and Orwell did not prophesy the same thing. Orwell warns that we will be overcome by an externally imposed oppression. But in Huxley's vision, no Big Brother is required to deprive people of their autonomy, maturity and history. As he saw it, people will come to love their oppression, to adore the technologies that undo their capacities to think.

What Orwell feared were those who would ban books. What Huxley feared was that there would be no reason to ban a book, for there would be no one who wanted to read one. Orwell feared those who would deprive us of information. Huxley feared those who would give us so much that we would be reduced to passivity and egoism. Orwell feared that the truth would be concealed from us. Huxley feared the truth would be drowned in a sea of irrelevance. Orwell feared we would become a captive culture. Huxley feared we would become a trivial culture, preoccupied with some equivalent of the feelies, the orgy porgy, and the centrifugal bumblepuppy. As Huxley remarked in Brave New World Revisited, the civil libertarians and rationalists who are ever on the alert to oppose tyranny "failed to take into account man's almost infinite appetite for distractions." In 1984, Orwell added, people are controlled by inflicting pain. In Brave New World, they are controlled by inflicting pleasure. In short, Orwell feared that what we fear will ruin us. Huxley feared that what we desire will ruin us."

Neil Postman, Amusing Ourselves to Death: Public Discourse in the Age of Show Business

YouGotAStuGoing

Mar 26, 2010
Ottawa, Ontario
Super important day today.

International Sandwich Day. So choose one you like and make sure your opinion on your preferred sandwich is represented.

Wraps will not be tolerated today. No exceptions.
Hot beef sandwich au jus is the pinnacle of sandwich-making and no meat captured between two slices of bread has ever approached its level of decadence.

Also, pre-emptive glare at anyone who tries infiltrating hot dogs into this most sacred of discussions.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010

International Sandwich Day. So choose one you like and make sure your opinion on your preferred sandwich is represented.

Hot beef sandwich au jus is the pinnacle of sandwich-making and no meat captured between two slices of bread has ever approached its level of decadence.

Also, pre-emptive glare at anyone who tries infiltrating hot dogs into this most sacred of discussions.

Sorry guys but the NY department of taxation has already weighted in on this and both wraps and hot dogs are sandwiches...

Sandwiches

AchtzehnBaby

Global Matador
Mar 28, 2013
Hazeldean Road

The KFC Double Down

KFC-DOUBLE-DOWN-KENTUCKY-FRIED-CHICKEN-BUNLESS.jpg

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Don't some American schools classify pizza as a vegetable?
No, congress changed the required amount of tomato paste to reach the threshold of 1 serving of vegitables for schools (despite tomato being a fruit).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad