OT: Sens Lounge CVI - The O & D Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alf Silfversson

Jun 8, 2011
There are lots of forklift fail videos out there on youtube to make you take it seriously, at least.

Be careful.

Better a forklift than a pallet jack!!

tenor.gif

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
Just read the Athletic prognostications for next season. Their collective view of the Senators states in part “the group as a whole still looks rather putrid and added a few negative value players to further contribute to that.”

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
Forklift operating is sweet. I used to do that in my younger years and have since transitioned to white collar desk jockeying.

+1 on the Samsung TVs. I won't buy anything else. Now if they just came out with the F1 TV app for them I would be all set...cable would be cut same day.
What is pretty amazing is watching F1 through the Apple TV box. 4K and honestly breathtaking. Too bad they cars sound like shit.

Reactions: DrEasy

Fandlauer

Apr 23, 2013
Ottawa unless it becomes a disaster
I don't think the media is scary. I think it is scary that people are abandoning traditional media so they can visit some website that will just confirm their priors and be a partisan circle jerk rather than provide balanced or nuanced information.

If traditional media was actually still providing balanced / nuanced information I'd agree with you. Mainstream media is such utter dog shit these days it's allowed people to float off into partisan, conspiratorial nonsense.

Senscore

Let's keep it cold
Nov 19, 2012
Mainstream and independent media are all about selling ads. They just have different ways of attracting viewers.

Any information you are able to absorb from it is a secondary benefit.

Reactions: DrEasy

YouGotAStuGoing

Mar 26, 2010
Ottawa, Ontario
If traditional media was actually still providing balanced / nuanced information I'd agree with you. Mainstream media is such utter dog shit these days it's allowed people to float off into partisan, conspiratorial nonsense.
"Traditional media" isn't this one-size-fits-all monolith, you know. Different media sources report different angles. We can talk about the slant some media outlets take, and that's fair. But there's more than enough information out there to figure out where the truth lies. And still some very balanced outlets. Just because you don't seek them out doesn't mean they don't exist. Reuters, Canadian Press, Associated Press are all great examples of outlets that limit the spin. And for every leftist outlet, there's a rightist outlet to match.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
"Traditional media" isn't this one-size-fits-all monolith, you know. Different media sources report different angles. We can talk about the slant some media outlets take, and that's fair. But there's more than enough information out there to figure out where the truth lies. And still some very balanced outlets. Just because you don't seek them out doesn't mean they don't exist. Reuters, Canadian Press, Associated Press are all great examples of outlets that limit the spin. And for every leftist outlet, there's a rightist outlet to match.
Pretty much. I feel like sometimes the people who complain about media bias must be actively seeking it out rather than truely trying to find more balanced coverage.

Charts like this one seem helpful at first, but i can't help but think it just offers people a roadmap to find their echochamber of preference

792646c1-e7d7-4c0b-ba59-688cc0c3e746.jpg

Reactions: saskriders

DrEasy

Out rumptackling
Oct 3, 2010
Stützville
I'm basically down to Reuters for my main source of news. It's pretty dry though. I'll occasionally venture out to BBC but even it's been infected with click-bait personal interest stories.

AchtzehnBaby

Global Matador
Mar 28, 2013
Hazeldean Road
Pretty much. I feel like sometimes the people who complain about media bias must be actively seeking it out rather than truely trying to find more balanced coverage.

Charts like this one seem helpful at first, but i can't help but think it just offers people a roadmap to find their echochamber of preference

792646c1-e7d7-4c0b-ba59-688cc0c3e746.jpg
Effing PBS on the left....

no morals.

thank goodness for the Economist.

saskriders

Can't Hold Leads
Sep 11, 2010
Calgary
I'm basically down to Reuters for my main source of news. It's pretty dry though. I'll occasionally venture out to BBC but even it's been infected with click-bait personal interest stories.

I like watching BBC World News at night. Usually there is a human interest story or two per night, but you get much more coverage in stuff all around the world than the national or local news gives.

Reactions: variable26

DrEasy

Out rumptackling
Oct 3, 2010
Stützville
I like watching BBC World News at night. Usually there is a human interest story or two per night, but you get much more coverage in stuff all around the world than the national or local news gives.
Yeah, for international news BBC is great. It's also too bad TV5 stopped their nightly World News (in French, obviously). It's always great to get non-North American perspectives.

Reactions: Stylizer1

maclean

Jan 4, 2014
I don't think the media is scary. I think it is scary that people are abandoning traditional media so they can visit some website that will just confirm their priors and be a partisan circle jerk rather than provide balanced or nuanced information.

Mainstream media has been in a bit of a race to the bottom for quite some time now, but at the same time I wouldn't idealise the media of the past, when covering up what was inconvenient to the powers-that-be was part of the game. Basically I think it's important to look at the issue, like any issue, as a complex one - it is not just mainstream media vs alternative media, pick a side. Alternative media emerged because mainstream media was not working in many respects, but of course it also allows people to throw their own spin on things to further any agenda, and as time goes on, various vested interests have found it very easy to put their money behind that as well. It's what a lot of people don't seem to get - what they think is alternative media is actually just a mouthpiece for some other special interest. The best you can do is not accept anything at face value and fact-check yourself on issues that you consider important. I don't think there's a simple solution, personally I just try to raise my kids to be savvy and take things with a grain of salt.

Dingle

summer is gone
Nov 22, 2019
Anyone catch Pierre McGuire on TGOR this morning.

Beautiful nugget about the Carolina Hurricanes...The were never sold to Tom Dundon, they were leased...That lease expires soon!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad