OT: Sens Lounge CVI - The O & D Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

saskriders

Can't Hold Leads
Sep 11, 2010
Calgary
Given the pressure within Japan to host the Olympics and welcome tourists I would imagine that would be possible.

You can travel right now if you want to many countries, some might require a negative test.

The main concern you should look at is - how is your health, the health of those you regularly interact with when you return home. Chances of something going wrong if you are young/middle-aged and healthy are minuscule. Personally I probably won't travel until I know my parents are vaccinated as I still visit them frequently.

Yeah I'm living at home right now. My parents are in their late 60s, but don't have any health issues. My main concern would be my friend who had a kidney transplant a few years ago, but I would just make sure not to see him for a few weeks after coming back.

Senscore

Let's keep it cold
Nov 19, 2012
If someone could give me a list for the next month or so of all the arbitrary things we need to do on social media to avoid being exiled from society, I'd really appreciate it.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
If someone could give me a list for the next month or so of all the arbitrary things we need to do on social media to avoid being exiled from society, I'd really appreciate it.

It really is starting to feel that way, doesn't it?

A lot of the crusaders are starting to become the very thing they're crusading against.

Reactions: Stylizer1

Daffy

Jun 10, 2010
The mainstream media is ruining this world. They lie about literally everything. And people believe it. Social media is a cesspool.

Reactions: Stylizer1

branch

#GirlBoss #Vibes
Jan 12, 2008
Social media was a big mistake. And I think Jack Dorsey feels this as well. Zuckerberg probably doesn't care, because well, Zuckerberg. But, if it wasn't Dorsey, it would have been someone else.

PoutineSp00nZ

Electricity is really just organized lightning.
Jul 21, 2009
Ottawa
It really is starting to feel that way, doesn't it?

A lot of the crusaders are starting to become the very thing they're crusading against.

They already are. The extreme left and the extreme right both want the same thing. To control how people think, which results in control over how they speak and act.

They just have different ideas over how they want those people to act. But the essence of it is very much the same.

Only social media I have left is Facebook, aside from hfboards I guess. And I only use it for thr messenger now ... but I want to eliminate it completely sooner or later

DrakeAndJosh

Intangibles
Jun 19, 2010
Kanata
Don’t say racist stuff and you’ll be fine. Weird how this is so hard for some people. There’s no checklists of things you need to do, but it’s also not hard to read a book and learn about what many people are going through.

PoutineSp00nZ

Jul 21, 2009
Ottawa
Don’t say racist stuff and you’ll be fine. Weird how this is so hard for some people. There’s no checklists of things you need to do, but it’s also not hard to read a book and learn about what many people are going through.

Its hardly that simple.

I had someone tell me I was transphobic for not wanting to be with a trans person sexually and absolutely freaked out on me. I have nothing against Trans people, I don't give a shit what people do with their bodies as long as they aren't hurting anyone. Its just not for me.

The line of whats racist or bigoted is always moving, and for some people it is so far off in the distance that nobody can realistically stay on the right side of it without constant posturing.

Maybe I'm an just asshole. I dunno

FormentonTheFuture

Sep 29, 2017
Its hardly that simple.

I had someone tell me I was transphobic for not wanting to be with a trans person sexually and absolutely freaked out on me. I have nothing against Trans people, I don't give a shit what people do with their bodies as long as they aren't hurting anyone. Its just not for me.

The line of whats racist or bigoted is always moving, and for some people it is so far off in the distance that nobody can realistically stay on the right side of it without constant posturing.

That's the dumbest thing I ever heard. You are not an asshole for that.

Reactions: PoutineSp00nZ

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Its hardly that simple.

So, if everyone piled on you for that, you'd have a better point. One person irrationally freaking out on you does not mean you've been exiled from society for not adhearing to some moving target of what is considered racist, or in your scenario, transphobic.

PoutineSp00nZ

Jul 21, 2009
Ottawa
So, if everyone piled on you for that, you'd have a better point. One person irrationally freaking out on you does not mean you've been exiled from society for not adhearing to some moving target of what is considered racist, or in your scenario, transphobic.

I've heard that sentiment before a lot and its just one example.

Those people are out there. Its not about equality, its about everyone catering to their world views. They just mask it in a shroud of social justice. But its really about control.

I'm all for the fight for equality, and we have a long way to go. Even in this country, especially as far as first nations people go. But the pendulum tends to swing a little far in both directions before it settles in the middle. Maybe we are just at the height of one of those swings.

Reactions: Upgrayedd

YouGotAStuGoing

Mar 26, 2010
Ottawa, Ontario
There are those who will take a valid point like "don't be racist or misogynistic or discriminatory" and stretch it to its extremes. That's always been the case and will always be the case, on both ends of the spectrum. All we can do is look at our own beliefs, challenge them early and often, and land in a place where we're comfortable that we're being good, kind and non-judgmental. Social media has taken a lot of the middle area out of discussions and rendered them black and white, right and wrong, good and evil. Life's more nuanced than that.

That said, if you can't look out at the world right now and say "Black people are being murdered by police at disproportionate rates for things that white people likely wouldn't be murdered for," you're part of the problem.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
I've heard that sentiment before a lot and its just one example.

Those people are out there. Its not about equality, its about everyone catering to their world views. They just mask it in a shroud of social justice. But its really about control.

I'm all for the fight for equality, and we have a long way to go. Even in this country, especially as far as first nations people go. But the pendulum tends to swing a little far in both directions before it settles in the middle. Maybe we are just at the height of one of those swings.

Sure, there are people who hold extreme views, they are out there, but thats very different than people getting ostracized from society for not adhearing to the extreme views. Idk man, but if you've heard the "you are transphobic for personally not being interested in intimate relations" sentiment a lot, maybe your just hanging out in areas where more extreme views are espoused.

If you started watching infowars you'll probably hear lot about the lizard people taking over, doesn't mean the pendulum has swung too far towards that perspective (well, ok maybe thats a bad example as any degree of swinging towards lizard people is too much...)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad