Wipers up or down for a winter storm?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Qward

Because! That's why!
Jul 23, 2010
Behind you, look out
Hey, did you guys know that you dont have to obey the yield signs as long as you wave to the person as your are driving through?

Stupid f***ing drivers. Too early for this shit.

AchtzehnBaby

Global Matador
Mar 28, 2013
Hazeldean Road
Hey, did you guys know that you dont have to obey the yield signs as long as you wave to the person as your are driving through?

Stupid ****ing drivers. Too early for this ****.

Since we are bitching about drivers, I have three things that irk me these days:

Idiots that put their wipers in the air (in parking lots) because there is snow forecasted.

Idiots that drive with hoodies up over their head

Idiots drive at night with only their DRLs on (Honda and Toyota mainly)

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
Since we are *****ing about drivers, I have three things that irk me these days:

Idiots that put their wipers in the air (in parking lots) because there is snow forecasted.

The nighttime DRL drivers are honestly becoming an epidemic. I think they are all stoned

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
Holy smokes. I wouldn’t be sitting tight knowing someone in my town kept it. I would be hunting them down. LOL

Poor guy

He got everything back in the end thankfully, after $46000 in legal fees (refunded by the bank after he took the story to the Guardian).

The whole story is an example of super shady banking practices, and a super shady dude getting the money. I mean I get wanting to keep it, but you can’t expect that to stand, and you’d have to refund anything you spent.

Friggin banks, 25pounds as an offer is is a kick in the nuts and then laughing afterwards as you waddle away...

Stylizer1

SENSimillanaire
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City
Since we are *****ing about drivers, I have three things that irk me these days:

The rubber on blades get damaged when they freeze to the windshield. Turning them on when the blades are frozen to the windshield can blow the motor that runs them.

stempniaksen

Oct 12, 2008

What's the issue? The other two are clear safety issues, this one just seems like pet peeve?

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa
I've been complaining regularly to my partner and my parents about people driving without their lights on for years. Not just night time but all low visibility conditions. How bloody oblivious do you have to be?

YouGotAStuGoing

Mar 26, 2010
Ottawa, Ontario
What's the issue? The other two are clear safety issues, this one just seems like pet peeve?
This one's not as egregious, true, but I think V26 has a point. The culprit for motor burnout isn't the ice on the blades – it's folks who try running the wipers after a snow or ice storm without clearing them off first. Sure, leaving them up avoids that problem, but the potential damage is much higher from a gust of wind catching the blade and sending it slamming down into the windshield. Plus, from a raw wear-and-tear perspective, I'd imagine leaving the blades up exposes them to more of the inclement weather than they'd be exposed to from their resting position. Don't have a source on this one though, it's just thinking out loud. Could be wrong.

stempniaksen

Oct 12, 2008
This one's not as egregious, true, but I think V26 has a point. The culprit for motor burnout isn't the ice on the blades – it's folks who try running the wipers after a snow or ice storm without clearing them off first. Sure, leaving them up avoids that problem, but the potential damage is much higher from a gust of wind catching the blade and sending it slamming down into the windshield. Plus, from a raw wear-and-tear perspective, I'd imagine leaving the blades up exposes them to more of the inclement weather than they'd be exposed to from their resting position. Don't have a source on this one though, it's just thinking out loud. Could be wrong.

I mean I get it, but nothing about someone else doing this would affect anyone but themselves (wear and tear on the parts, ect). Just seems like such a non-issue in the grand scheme of the "problem drivers" issue. If people wanna do it, all the power to them, it's not hurting me :laugh:

Reactions: YouGotAStuGoing

AchtzehnBaby

Global Matador
Mar 28, 2013
Hazeldean Road
I mean I get it, but nothing about someone else doing this would affect anyone but themselves (wear and tear on the parts, ect). Just seems like such a non-issue in the grand scheme of the "problem drivers" issue. If people wanna do it, all the power to them, it's not hurting me :laugh:

But every year I see more people in the parking lot do this. It must stop. I am calling my congressman now!

Make Auto Windshield Wipers Great Again!

AchtzehnBaby

Global Matador
Mar 28, 2013
Hazeldean Road

I brought this up on the vwvortex car lounge (largest car enthusiast forum ever!) over ten years ago, and the majority agreed it is BS. Things change I guess.

Unless you are a complete knob and your windshield is iced up thick, and you think it is great idea to turn your wipers on ....well raise them up! :badidea:

Maybe this lady does it too

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
I brought this up on the vwvortex car lounge (largest car enthusiast forum ever!) over ten years ago, and the majority agreed it is BS. Things change I guess.

Unless you are a complete knob and your windshield is iced up thick, and you think it is great idea to turn your wipers on ....well raise them up! :badidea:

Maybe this lady does it too

I have no stong opinions on this one. It makes sense to me with ice rain, but i don't see any point with regular snow. I typically run the car starter and blast the window with hot air before clearing the car and frankly i can't remember to bring my umbrella into the office when rain is in the forecast so good luck getting me to put the wippers up.

2CHAINZ

Feb 27, 2008
Bro you put the wipers up so you can cleanly scrape the ice and have your wipers work effectively. You ever use your wipers in winter time and there is a spot that wont wipe properly ?

Wipers up or you are a noob.

Reactions: 18Hossa

YouGotAStuGoing

Mar 26, 2010
Ottawa, Ontario
I'll also add that a lot of the 'wipers up' thinking is rooted in old technology — most wiper systems these days have failsafes that'll prevent the motor from burning itself out if it can't complete a full cycle.

Reactions: Variable26
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad