Wipers up or down for a winter storm?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Stylizer1

SENSimillanaire
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City
2019-12-11t134623z_134875368_rc21td9ddi48_rtrmadp_3_time-person-gretathunberg.jpg

:facepalm:

stempniaksen

Oct 12, 2008
Alright fine, didn't expect to talk about this on HF when I woke up today, but let's do it.

What's the issue with Greta Thunberg as TIME's Person of the Year?

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
Alright fine, didn't expect to talk about this on HF when I woke up today, but let's do it.

That people don't give a **** about climate change, it is a perfect symbol of how we pretend to care because it involves a child/teenager.

We have known that climate change was a thing since at least the 90's and every single year it is proving to be not only worse than we initially thought but happening much faster than we thought it would.

So this whole "Greta matters" is a farce. Not because she isn't right or because climate change isn't very real and an existential threat: it is a farce because we are using a child to feel good about ourselves in a way that also manages to avoid actually making the required sacrifices to deal with the issue.

Perfect example of the phenomenon: idiots in California prefer to paint a mural of Greta and oppose the creation of buildings that would actually reduce the footprint of the city where this is going down. This is 100% looks over substance.

Senscore

Let's keep it cold
Nov 19, 2012

I think there's a legitimate question to be asked as to what tangible impact she's had in terms of policy change or what realistic solutions to problems she is championing.

She seems to get a great deal of media coverage for what essentially amounts to accusatory rhetoric against the leaders of the global community and rebuffing proposed policies as "not enough."

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
Bro you put the wipers up so you can cleanly scrape the ice and have your wipers work effectively. You ever use your wipers in winter time and there is a spot that wont wipe properly ?

Wipers up or you are a noob.

Problem is on most new cars, the wipers are hidden. One of my cars has a setting to bring the wipers out from underneath the hood. Cars are going in this direction now, which makes it a pain to change wiper blades

AchtzehnBaby

Global Matador
Mar 28, 2013
Hazeldean Road
Problem is on most new cars, the wipers are hidden. One of my cars has a setting to bring the wipers out from underneath the hood. Cars are going in this direction now, which makes it a pain to change wiper blades
My car has the put wipers n service position option... so they can’t be raised as they are under the hood

Reactions: coladin

FunkySeeFunkyDoo

Feb 3, 2009
Ottawa
That people don't give a **** about climate change, it is a perfect symbol of how we pretend to care because it involves a child/teenager.

We have known that climate change was a thing since at least the 90's and every single year it is proving to be not only worse than we initially thought but happening much faster than we thought it would.

So this whole "Greta matters" is a farce. Not because she isn't right or because climate change isn't very real and an existential threat: it is a farce because we are using a child to feel good about ourselves in a way that also manages to avoid actually making the required sacrifices to deal with the issue.

"The required sacrifices" is the key concept, and I'm with you that the vast majority of the population aren't willing to make them.

BUT -- if I was to envision any scenario under which that might change, it would be if a charismatic leader were to emerge that based on his/her conviction and words could actually change peoples attitudes.... make them willing to make those sacrifices.

Of course, that leader would have to have worldwide appeal as well as the willingness to lead the cause for several years.

Could Greta Thunberg be that leader? I doubt it, but I certainly don't have a better candidate to offer.

PoutineSp00nZ

Electricity is really just organized lightning.
Jul 21, 2009
Ottawa
It's probably too late to make the changes we need to keep this planet hospitable for human civilization.

So f*** it. Enjoy the ride. Our kids kids are the ones who will really pay the price. Not our problem lol.

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown

Perfect example of the phenomenon: idiots in California prefer to paint a mural of Greta and oppose the creation of buildings that would actually reduce the footprint of the city where this is going down. This is 100% looks over substance.

While I agree with basically 100% of your post, I also want to point out that it is neither Thunberg nor Time's fault that the general public is as historically apathetic as they are & have been on this issue.

Reactions: maclean

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
While I agree with basically 100% of your post, I also want to point out that it is neither Thunberg nor Time's fault that the general public is as historically apathetic as they are & have been on this issue.

Greta is doing whatever she can, definitely no animosity towards her whatsoever.

Time Magazine? They are just riding the hypocritical wave so I'm not so sure I'd be as lenient on them.

EDIT: In other news, Andrew Scheer, What a ****ing guy :laugh:

Last edited:

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
Time Magazine? They are just riding the hypocritical wave so I'm not so sure I'd be as lenient on them.

It's no different than what they've done in the past.

Aside from all of the cop-out choices for Person of the Year they've given to U.S. Presidents simply by virtue of them being elected (Trump '16, Obama in '08 & '12, Bush in '00 and '04, Clinton, George H Bush, Reagan, etc... Basically, if you get elected President, you're basically automatically the Time POY by default)... Aside from those POYs, Time has a history of naming POYs that the general public couldn't give a crap about, outside of the "feel good vibes" that talking about it gives people.

"The Protestor" was POY in 2011.
"You (aka: internet content creators)" in 2006
"Good Samaritans" in 2005
"Whistleblowers" in 2003

Heck... "The Endangered Earth" was Time's POY in 1988. This isn't even the first time they've made a declaration like this.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
It's no different than what they've done in the past.

Aside from all of the cop-out choices for Person of the Year they've given to U.S. Presidents simply by virtue of them being elected (Trump '16, Obama in '08 & '12, Bush in '00 and '04, Clinton, George H Bush, Reagan, etc... Basically, if you get elected President, you're basically automatically the Time POY by default)... Aside from those POYs, Time has a history of naming POYs that the general public couldn't give a crap about, outside of the "feel good vibes" that talking about it gives people.

"The Protestor" was POY in 2011.
"You (aka: internet content creators)" in 2006
"Good Samaritans" in 2005
"Whistleblowers" in 2003

Heck... "The Endangered Earth" was Time's POY in 1988. This isn't even the first time they've made a declaration like this.

Exactly why I don't absolve them. Not that they, or anyone, needs absolution from me :laugh:

Reactions: BonkTastic

slamigo

Skate or Die!
Dec 25, 2007
Ottawa
I think some folks are unclear on the point of the Person of the Year cover. It profiles profiles a person, a group, an idea, or an object that "for better or for worse... has done the most to influence the events of the year." To that extent, Greta certainly fits the criteria.

In that sense, I'd say that Greta represents a person, a group and an idea. She staged a one person protest that now attracts hundreds of thousands to marches and peaceful demonstrations. The President of the US and our Prime Minister are dealing with the fallout of her actions. The most powerful on the planet are trying to engage in dialogue with her. She doesn't have the answers and doesn't pretend to be leading anyone. She is simply representing the anger felt by an entire generation of people who are sick of how the planet is being poisoned. As I am typing this, an MP in the House just mentioned her by name. There is no denying that she and her cause is in the news cycle.

That being said, this topic should not be discussed here because it is highly political.

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
Wipers up, sunvisors down in ice rain...Or no heat at all on the windshield in heavy snow,make it like a piece of ice so the snow doesnt stick

Reactions: slamigo

Stylizer1

SENSimillanaire
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City
Why would anyone trust the government to fix climate change? There are so many more problems that affect peoples lives that they can't fix and many of them were caused by them.

Reactions: topshelf15
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad